Hybrid Chronicles 02: Micah & Declan

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Gweall
Gweall
900 Followers

Declan grabbed two towels, handing one to the thief. He started to help Micah dry himself. "I'm sincerely sorry about your pants situation," Declan said, only a fraction of a smile cracking through his serious face. "Now look, I know you're at least involved in the museum robberies. How much help I can offer you depends on how much information you give me. If anything you tell me leads to a bust, I could probably get you a light prison sentence. Maybe if you purred and rubbed against the judge's leg, you could even get off with probation."

"Oh a light prison sentence, is that so?" Micah said, as if he was truly interested before rolling his eyes and drying his tail. "Information on what, Mcgruff?" He asked bitterly. Declan was beginning to see what Micah had been talking about. His fur held in the water like no other. He could put a sponge to shame.

"Well, you could tell me about the drugs you were carrying earlier to start and work your way up to telling me where that art work is," Declan said.

"The coke was just for a local John. I doubt the name he gives us is his real one. I cant be much help there. And you might as well give up on the art work. The same buyer every time. He has me drop off the paintings and the money is hidden there. If I don't leave the paintings...Well, lets just leave it at I never saw the last courier again." Micah glanced up at Declan. He dried his ears thoroughly. "If I get an ear infection its your fault." He growled.

Declan looked Micah in the eye, gently moving the towel around the nasty bruise. "That might be more helpful than you think. You might want to see what else you can give me. I don't think a pretty kitty like you would last long in prison."

"I can hold my own." Micah said simply, He showed his claws on his right hand and began drying each of the razor sharp nails. When he was finished with that hand he moved on to his left. "I don't know what else I can give you though. Yeah, I pull some major heists but I really don't know much about what I steal or who it goes to. My job is to get in, get out, and get the money." Micah said.

Declan shook his head. "Well, those claws obviously didn't help you much against whoever beat the crap out of you. I'll give you a moment to think about that, maybe it'll help you come up with something else." Declan walked out of the bathroom, leaving Micah to himself. He doubted Micah could escape quietly in the shape he was in. He made a pot of coffee quickly and returned to the bathroom, only to find it empty. He looked around and saw Micah asleep on his bed. He raised an eyebrow and chuckled.

He debated waking the cat up and trying to get more information, but he didn't have it in him and instead let the thief rest while he sat at his desk and caught up on paperwork. Though he knew on an instinctual level he shouldn't like Micah, it was nice to hear the soft purring coming from his bed. He chalked it up to having been single for so long and tried to focus on his work.

***

Micah woke to the sound of light snoring in his ear. He sighed and was about to push Christian awake when he felt the ache of his bruised ribs. He winced and the pain brought back the fresh memories of his fight with Christian and his father, and then stumbling on the cop he had run from before. He wondered why he had told the cop everything he had. He could have marked it up to being in pain. But he knew that wasn't true. He had been in worse pain than that. He wanted to tell Mcgruff the crime dog everything he had. He felt comfortable around him, despite his floppy ears and long tail. Speaking of his tail, Micah heard the steady thumping sound Declan's tail made as it hit the mattress. He was apparently having a good dream. His own tail swished back and forth lazily, resting on Declan's leg every now and then. He knew he should have woken up the dog spooning behind him, but he liked the comfort he brought. Christian wouldn't ever hold him like this...He was brought back to reality when Declan stretched and yawned.

Declan seemed confused when he looked at Micah and then shrugged. "Sorry, but you were in my bed and I figured it would hurt our budding friendship if I made you sleep in the laundry room."

"I'm sure that was your first concern." Micah rolled his eyes but made no move to get up. He could still feel the thumping of Declan's tail. "You want to stop that?" He raised an eyebrow, head already back on the pillow.

"Sorry, guess I'm just happy. You know, you're not so bad when you're sleeping. Probably has to do with the fact you're quiet and cuddly instead of annoying and hissing."

"Here's a hint: If you don't throw me in water, I don't hiss quite as much." Micah said without opening his eyes. He found himself getting used to, and even liking, the smell of Declan. Before he would have hated it, but just overnight it had grown from being a pain in his ass, to a comforting homey smell.

Declan shook the bed with his laughter. "Sorry, but I had to get you back for scratching me when we first met."

"You were in my way." Micah said simply. "Anyways, you best get started on breakfast." He opened an eye and smiled at Declan. Who, for some reason, stepped over Micah and headed towards the kitchen. "I don't like eggs." Micah called out and rolled over to take up Declan's warm spot in the bed.

Declan returned rather quickly with two bowls of cereal. He waited for Micah to sit up before handing him his breakfast. "You act like I cook often," Declan laughed. "You're just lucky there's milk on those Cheerios and not whiskey."

"Classy guy, why don't you cook a lot?" Micah asked, digging into his cereal. "I like cooking, I would do it more often if I had the money." He said, through a mouthful of Cheerios.

"I think you underestimate the quiet dignity of getting buzzed during breakfast," Declan said with a shrug as he drank the milk out of his bowl. "So, you wanna tell me who punched you? I'm starting to think you might not have deserved as much as I originally suspected."

"Is that a dog's way of saying you like me? Or is that when you lift your leg...I always get them confused." Micah said, dodging the question.

"I wouldn't piss on you. Then I'd be stuck with you because it would never come out of your fur. Seriously, you can tell me who hit you. I won't make a joke, I promise. I won't say a word. It just might be important for me to know later."

"Now that I think about it, the pissing thing is a really bad idea." Micah said, stroking his fur with a worried look on his face. He stared down at his cereal for a moment before finally deciding to answer. "My boyfriend." He said, before adding. "The one who hit me....I guess I should say ex..." He mumbled the last part to himself.

Declan set down his bowl and got in the bed beside Micah, petting him behind the ears. Micah started to move away, but Declan held him there. "You look all sad and shit, it's depressing."

"What's depressing is that I'll never get the smell of Fido out of my fur now." Micah made a joke out of the serious situation. He didn't try to move away, though. They sat there for a moment, Micah purring as Declan stroked his ears and the soft hair behind them. "I want to help you, as much as I can. On one condition." Micah said, finally.

"What's that?" Declan said, making small circles on the back of Micah's neck down between his shoulders.

"I help you with whatever case you're on now, and you help me get out of this life." Micah sat up and looked Declan in the eyes.

Declan seemed surprised. "Sure, I could do that, but you're going to have to be honest with me all the way."

"Fine," Micah said. "I'll do anything. I'm just sick of playing cops and robbers." He mumbled the last part and laid back down, letting Declan resume his petting.

Declan nodded and held Micah against his chest. "You seem too sweet for that lifestyle anyway," he whispered. "I'll help you, I swear."

"I think you're the first person I've ever met who's called me sweet. After I scratched you, and all the name calling?" Micah asked. He felt safe against Declan's chest, a feeling he hadn't felt in awhile. He was always on the run and had just gotten used to the feeling.

Declan smiled. "Yeah, even after all that. Because you might growl and hiss and try to act all tough, but I got you figured out. You're just a fluffy little kitty." Declan stretched and grabbed his cell phone from the bedside table. "I don't have to go in for another hour," he said. "But can I trust that when I leave, you'll stay here?"

"Probably not. But I'll do my best, Mcgruff." Micah rolled onto his back so he could face Declan. He saluted with a smile before rolling over more and burying his face in Declan's shoulder. He had only met this cop not twenty four hours ago, and they were already snuggling in bed. He wouldn't do this with any other cop, no matter how cute.

'Did I just call him cute?' Micah thought to himself. He looked up at Declan and nodded to himself. 'Yeah, alright. He's cute.' He smiled and buried his head in Declan's chest again.

"What if I promised to bring home a laser pointer? You could chase it all around to your heart's content," Declan said.

"Then I'm going to Pet-co, and getting you a collar. I don't care how much you protest I will strap it to your neck, Mcgruff." Micah glared at him with one eye.

Declan laughed. "I don't see that happening," he said.

"Don't test me, Fido. Don't forget I snuck past a whole group of cops and took a diamond right out from under their noses. I'm sure I could get it around you while you were sleeping." Micah smiled.

"First you were talking about me pissing on you, now you want to put a collar on me? Guess you're a kinky little kitty," Declan teased.

"Maybe just a little. Rules are no fun." Micah brought his tail up and tickled Declan's nose.

Declan smiled and brushed the tail away. "I guess I'll have to learn to deal with that."

"Does that mean you want me to stick around? This place could use a felines touch." Micah rolled onto his back and looked around the room playfully.

Declan ran a finger from Micah's chin down his neck and chest. "I guess it could. I guess whiskey Cheerios aren't exactly the finest things in life."

"To each his own." Micah shrugged. He swung his legs off the bed and began poking around his, apparently, new home. "It's so very.....single man." Micah smiled at Declan as he looked at the books on the shelf and the movies next to the T.V.

Declan stretched on the bed. "What can I say? It's been a while since I had a boyfriend in here. When left to my own devices, I'm rather helpless."

"Ah, so boyfriend, not girlfriend. I was hoping you weren't just a really friendly straight guy." Micah winked at him, giving him a sly smile.

Declan smiled. "Yeah. Unfortunately my alcoholic cereal isn't exactly a turn on for either sex, but dogs can be trained so..." Declan shrugged. "We'll see how it goes."

"Cats cant be trained, you know." Micah winked. "We're too free spirited. So how do you plan to pull me from my evil ways?" Micah sat back down on the bed.

"Well, you seem to like this," Declan said, lightly gripping the back of Micah's neck and pulling the smaller man to his chest. "I'm sure I'll figure out ways to bribe you to doing what I want." Declan started massaging Micah's back and laughed at the purring.

Micah's purring got louder until his claws slid out and he began kneading at the bed. He had a mischievous grin on his face as his tail flicked in pleasure. "You can't make me do whatever you want. I do have SOME free will." Micah laughed as his claws dug in through the sheets.

Declan sighed. "Yeah, way to fucking ruin my sheets. Guess you got your revenge for me ruining your pants?"

"You know it."

Declan laughed. "You know, I still can't take you seriously. You're just too cute for your own good."

"Why thank you, wish I could say the same for you, Fido." Micah said, though he admitted to himself that the cop did have a sense of charm about him. He turned around and nuzzled into Declan's chest again, purring even louder than before.

"Give me time, I think I'll grow on you. I mean, even you stopped being so annoying I wanted to yank your tail. Maybe I can gain a little cuteness."

"Yeah, right. So what kind of mutt are you anyways?" Micah put his bowl in the sink and sat down in the chair.

"Gordon setter," Declan replied. "My grandparents used to breed them."

"What kind of dog was Mcgruff, again? I need to make sure the nickname fits. But even if it doesn't, I'm still calling you that." Micah winked at Declan.

Declan rolled his eyes. "I have no idea. So, what breed of cat are you? If there even are different breeds. They all are the same to me."

"I'm an Egyptian Mau, for your information. My mom used to have one, I guess I got the mutation from that stupid hair ball." Micah stroked his striped silvery tail.

Declan smiled. "Do you realize how big a cliche you are? You're a cat burglar."

"And you're a police dog. Look who's talking, Fido." Micah laughed at him.

Declan rolled his eyes. "Well, I guess that's true. But I was in law enforcement before I got Infected, so whatever causes these mutations has a sense of humor."

"And I was a thief before mine, so no excuses." Micah stood up from where he was sitting and was checking out the room again.

"So you were always a thief?"

"Born and raised, my dad is too. I guess it runs in the family." He shrugged and sat down on the bed, tail landing on Declan's lap.

"So what made you want to get out?"

"I've always wanted to get out. It's not all it's cracked up to be, you know...living like this." Micah stood up and looked at him. "I get sick of running from cops, and being everybody's errand boy. I risk my life, and get none of the profit." Micah went over to the wall and mumbled quietly. "And I didn't always want to live like this. I want a family too, you know..." He whispered.

Declan nodded. "Well, I'll help you out. You're pretty cool, for an annoying fur ball." Declan stood and started to get ready for work. "So your ex didn't want to have kids...kittens...whatever?"

Micah chuckled, though it was more like a scoff. "No, Christian would have killed me before he would start a family. He lives for the con." Micah rolled his eyes and shook his head. His whiskers twitched as he walked around the medium sized house. He sniffed through the kitchen, investigating his surroundings more.

Declan pulled on his trench coat and grabbed a note pad from his pocket. "This Christian guy got a last name? Address?"

"He does, but that's not for you to know." Micah glared at him.

Declan shrugged. "I figured I could go give him a good scare, but if you don't want that I won't do it."

"Is this you protecting me? Well I guess what they say is true... Chivalry isn't dead." Micah leaned up against the wall and smiled. His tail swished back and forth happily.

Declan grunted noncommittally. "Maybe. I'm just saying, the option is out there."

"Well, it's sweet of you." Micah smiled and walked over to him, kissing his cheek. "You're going to be late for work." Micah smiled wider.

Declan put his arms around Micah. "I can be a little late if I want."

"Down, boy. You're a fast mover aren't you? I think I like that." Micah kissed his neck.

Declan made small circles in the patch of fur at the base of Micah's neck. "You be a good kitty while I'm at work." He kissed the top of Micah's head and then gently tilted Micah's chin up. "Promise?"

"I'll do my best, Clifford." Micah kissed him on the lips and lightly scratched his claws on his broad chest, making Declan smile.

"Well, try not to tear up the furniture and there might be a reward in it for you." Declan kissed Micah, pressing his tongue lightly against the smaller man's lips. With a purr, Micah allowed him to explore his mouth. Declan pulled away and laughed at Micah's expression. "Good to know you don't have a sandpaper tongue."

"And you don't have puppy breath, though to be honest, I always did like puppies." Micah flirted with him. He backed up away from Declan, laughing at the scowl on the cops face. "Have a good day at work, stud." Micah smiled and winked at him with one of his silvery blue eyes.

Declan shook his head as he turned to leave for work. "What have I gotten myself into," he muttered.

***

Declan was so anxious to get home, he'd almost forgotten his dinner with his father. Overall, it had been a fairly productive day as far as Declan was concerned. Declan had done his research and was able to track down the low life that had the nerve to hit Micah. He'd sent a few uniformed officers over there and they had discovered a fairly large amount of narcotics. Christian wouldn't be bothering Micah again for a while. Declan also had looked in to the murder of a fairly young drug addict named Rory. He had earned a bit of praise for noticing what could have been a calling card that would connect this murder to all of the others. The pattern drawn in the spilled cocaine may have been a coincidence, but at least it was something to go on.

Declan arrived at his father's house, eager to get the visit over with. He hated spending time with his father. He always left in a bad mood, feeling like less of a man. He didn't know why he kept subjecting himself to the criticism.

"Dad, I'm here. I picked up a pizza," Declan called. He put the pizza on the counter and went to the living room. His father was where he always was, in his recliner with a blanket spread over his lap.

"It better not be covered in those nasty sausages," the old man grumbled.

Declan sighed. "It's only on half. How have you been feeling, Dad?"

"Oh, nice to see you care about your old dad. I haven't heard from you all week."

"I've been busy on a case."

"You still haven't figured out those museum robberies?"

Declan sighed. "No, Dad, that case is still going on. I did bust a drug ring today."

Declan's father shrugged. "Those addicts aren't so hard to figure out. Son, are you gonna get me my walker?"

Declan grabbed the metal contraption and set it before his father, doing his best not to grumble about the fact that his father could have done it himself. "It was still a good bust. Could give us a few more leads."

"Any uniform with half a brain can bust a drug ring. Hell, in some parts of this damn city you can toss a rock and hit a small operation. You're never gonna make a name for yourself with that small time shit. When are you going to figure out the museum robberies?"

Declan rolled his eyes and led the way to the table. He grabbed plates and two glasses. "Is water alright with you?" he asked.

"You know, when you decided to return to the force, you talked big about how your new abilities would make you the best detective in the county. So far you haven't done jack shit."

Declan let out a low growl. "I've solved over twenty murders since I got back. I've just been put on another one that may be a serial."

"Doesn't fucking matter, does it? You never make any big busts. Just the small time shit. I'm surprised you even made detective. Now back when I was a detective, I probably would have had this case all figured out already. They just let any moron play detective these days."

Declan sighed and didn't respond. He set a glass of ice water in front of his dad as the verbal assault continued.

"You got a girl yet?" his dad asked through a mouthful of pizza.

"Dad..." Declan left it at that. He didn't know how many times he was going to have to tell his father that he wasn't interested in women.

"Oh well, fuck it. I thought you'd get over that phase of fucking queers, but I guess that's all you can hope to get looking the way you do."

Declan stood up. He'd had about enough. He couldn't see why he should have to keep enduring that. "Dad, I'm leaving. Don't expect me next week. I'm sick and tired of trying to impress you. It's clear we don't like each other, I don't know who we're pretending for."

Gweall
Gweall
900 Followers