I Will Love You Forever Pt. 2 Ch. 18

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
kalamazoo707
kalamazoo707
1,666 Followers

****

Thursday arrived finding Kenji excited to be seeing Patricia. He met her at the cafeteria with a kiss on the cheek.

"Your father is responding well to the insulin," he told her. "Paul and I would like for him to stay another night, but he refuses."

"That doesn't surprise me," Patricia replied. "I'm actually surprised that he agreed to wait until after you were finished today."

"He did not want to," Kenji replied. "He is only still here because he didn't want anyone to make a special trip for him."

"I'll go sit with him after lunch," Patricia said. "By the way, mom has been experimenting with the saccharine and she may be onto something. The real test will be daddy."

Kenji reached across the table, took Patricia's hand in his and leaned forward. Patricia leaned forward so that she could hear what he was saying.

"I cannot wait to get you into bed."

"Oh really?" she teased back squirming a little in her seat.

"Yes really," Kenji replied smiling and stroking her knuckles. "I fell asleep last night thinking about it."

Patricia was about to reply when she saw Mai watching them and then begin walking toward them.

"Ohayo Kenjiro," she said when she reached them. "Hello Patricia," she said as an afterthought."

"Hello Mai," Kenji replied in English. "Would you care to join us?"

"Thank you," Mai said as she sat down. She noticed that Kenji was holding Patricia's hand and ignored it. "Do you have plans for your time off?"

"As a matter of fact, we do," Patricia replied.

"We will be making Christmas decorations with the children," Kenji added. It was becoming clear that he would have to talk to Mai, but it could wait until after the Thanksgiving holiday. He knew that she was waiting for him to ask about her plans, but he didn't. He didn't want to give her the impression that he was interested in her personal life. If she had nothing more than a platonic interest in him, it would have been different.

Seeing that he wasn't going to ask, Mai volunteered information leaving out that her betrothed and her father were in town.

"I will be shopping with my sister-did I mention that she is expecting her first child?"

"No you didn't," Kenji replied, "congratulations."

"Thank you- I am in the process of finding a Japanese doctor for her... do you know of anyone?"

"No," Kenji replied fully aware of what Mai was doing. "Kirei, are you ready to go see your father?"

"I think so," Patricia said staring at Mai. Her instincts had been right- the woman was trouble. Thankfully Kenji saw it too.

"Have a pleasant time with your family," Kenji said as he stood, held his hand out to Patricia and led her out of the cafeteria.

Mai watched them leave with anger and jealousy in her heart. She stayed in her seat until she had to go back to her room and pack her things.

"Kenji," Patricia said when they were out of earshot, "she's trouble."

"Only if we allow her to be," Kenji replied. "But I plan to speak with her after I return."

"Okay... by the way, I brought a tin of cookies for you to leave in the room for the next student."

"Robert will appreciate that," Kenji said. "I have time to walk with you to your father's room."

"We did cut lunch short didn't we?" Patricia asked.

John was sitting on the side of the bed with his bag already packed. He stood up as soon as he saw Kenji and Patricia walk in.

"Relax daddy," Patricia said. "We have a couple of hours yet."

"Can't we wait outside?" John asked anxious to leave the room.

"I do not see why not," Kenji replied. "Let me see if the discharge orders are ready."

A moment later, Kenji was back.

"The physician caring for you today will be here shortly to go over your instructions," Kenji said. "I must go to conference now, I will see you soon."

Kenji kissed Patricia on the cheek and left carrying the tin of cookies. He ran up to his room, made sure that everything was packed and then left for the conference room taking his bags with him. He sat where he usually did and allowed his mind to wander. He hadn't lied when he told Patricia that he couldn't wait to get her into bed. For some unknown reason, he had missed her more than usual. He opened the notebook and gently touched the photograph of her and the children.

Mai walked into the conference room, looked around debating as to where she should sit. She saw an empty chair on either side of Kenji and almost headed toward one. At the last minute, she changed her mind and sat on the opposite side of the room. From where she sat, she could watch his face. She could see that his notebook was open and that his mind was someplace else. She barely paid attention to the announcements regarding the schedule when they returned. Her ears did perk up when her last name and Kenji's were announced together.

"Takeda, Kabata, Chester and Morgan: Your next rotation will be nights. You will be under the leadership of Dr. Vincente. On your way out, stop at the desk and I'll give you the packets for that rotation."

Mai couldn't believe it! She would get to do a rotation with Kenji. Maybe then she could find out more about him. She snuck a peek at Kenji to see what his reaction was. His expression was unreadable. In fact, she wasn't sure that he had heard the announcement.

After the conference was over, she watched as he rushed to the front with bags in hand and took a packet before hurrying off. She rushed after him grabbing a packet as she ran by. She caught sight of him just as the door to the stairs closed.

She went to her room, gathered her belongings and went to the main lobby where Ani, Shotaro, Jiro and her father waited for her. Shotaro gave her a cool glance and then offered to take her bags to the car. While they waited for him to return, Patricia, Kenji and John walked by. Kenji had his arm around Patricia's waist.

"Who is that?" Mai's father demanded.

"Kenjiro Takeda," Mai replied. "He is one of the interns here."

"Do you know him?" he asked.

"Yes father, we sometimes cross paths."

"Who is the negro woman that he is touching so inappropriately?"

"Th... That is his wife and the man is her father," Mai replied.

"His what?" her father asked shocked. "He is married to an inferior?"

"Yes."

"How is this possible?" he asked as he turned to Mai. "This is what happens when the old ways are pushed aside. You will have nothing to do with him."

"But..."

"I have spoken; you will stay away from him."

"We are in the same rotation," Mai said weakly. "It cannot be changed."

"After this rotation, you are to make sure that there isn't another."

"I have no say over that," Mai replied.

"Then I shall take care of it," her father said.

Shotaro came in on the tail end of the conversation. Without being asked, Mai's father filled Shotaro in on what he found out about Kenji. A strange look crossed Shotaro's face and was gone before anyone except Mai noticed it.

"Shall we begin the tour?" Shotaro asked not responding to the revelation about Kenji. His reaction stuck Mai as odd, but she began the tour.

"Very impressive," Shotaro said at the end of the tour.

"Maybe you could move here when you are finished with your residency," Ani said. "That way you and Mai could get married! You could stay with us couldn't they Jiro?"

"Of course," Jiro replied, "there is plenty of space."

Mai was horrified. If Shotaro and her father agreed, the wedding could take place in less than three months.

"Thank you for the kind offer," Shotaro said, "but there is the matter of a job-"

"I am sure that you can find one here," Ani said ignoring the warning glances from Mai.

The drive to Jiro and Mai's house was quiet. Mai knew that somehow she had given something away. That was why Ani began to push for Shotaro to move to California. She also wondered about Shotaro's odd reaction to the news about Kenji. Something wasn't right.

*****

Kenji and Patricia dropped John off first and then went home. Hana had dinner prepared and waiting for them. After greeting the children and dinner, Hana and Patricia went over plans for the party while Nick and Kenji talked.

"Is there any word of Andrew Kelly?" Kenji asked.

"No," Nick replied. "He's going to be there for a long time. How are things at school?"

"They are going well although I am a little concerned about Patricia. Some of Andrew's followers still attend classes."

"Peter is still there and is keeping an eye on things," Nick said. "Andrew's group is pretty much done for."

"Nick, when I am done with my internship, would you and mother consider having the children stay with you for a week? I know that it is far into the future, but I would like to take Patricia away."

"Just say when," Nick replied.

Later when they were alone, Kenji pulled Patricia into his arms and kissed her.

"I have missed you."

"I missed you too... you have a lot of reading to catch up on," Patricia replied wrapping her arms around him. "Kenji, about Mai..."

"We will talk about her later," Kenji replied, "all I want to do right now is to take you to bed."

"Can you give me ten minutes to get ready?" Patricia asked with a mischievous grin on her face.

"I know that look," Kenji teased, "What color is the nightgown?"

"Who said that there's a nightgown? Maybe it's one of my old ones," Patricia replied.

"Whatever it is, it will not remain on for long," Kenji replied. "Now hurry, I grow impatient."

***

Saul hadn't seen Isadora since he introduced himself to her at church. His work schedule hadn't allowed him to attend church since then. The next Sunday he would be off wasn't for another week. He replayed the introduction in his mind several times and was pleased that she hadn't completely shut him down.

She had taken his hand and told him her name, but that was as far as it went. He thought that there was a haunted feeling about her, but he couldn't be sure. The next time he saw her, he was going to engage her in conversation and see what happened.

As of yet, he hadn't heard from Nick and had resisted calling. He had spoken to his mother and siblings a few times and was satisfied that they were being taken care of. He realized that once he was satisfied that they were safe; his anxiety level seemed to drop. The next issue was his friend Harry. He had changed and it definitely wasn't for the good.

Harry no longer really talked with him other than a quick hello. They hadn't walked to work or eaten lunch together in weeks. Saul had given up on finding out what Harry was into and slowly accepted that he had lost his friend. What made it so bad was that he didn't know to what or who he had lost him. One day he managed to catch Harry alone.

"Hey," Saul said quietly. "How are you doing?"

"I'm good," Harry replied and started to walk away.

"Harry-what in the hell are you into?" Saul asked. "We haven't talked or-"

"Look," Harry said, "I will always consider you a friend, but things have changed. I have other responsibilities and all that you need to know is that you're safe."

"Safe?" Saul asked. "Who am I supposed to be safe from? Harry, if you're in trouble let me help you."

"Can you make things more equal for black people?" Harry asked. "Can you get white people to see us as more than servants?"

"Change takes time," Saul said. "And it's already happening. Laws-"

"Are you talking about the laws that we talked about a few months back?" Harry interrupted. "Are we talking about same laws that are being monitored by other white people that don't give a shit as to whether they're being upheld or not? Because if we are; not a damned thing has changed."

"Harry, what are you into?" Saul asked again.

Instead of answering, Harry walked away.

That conversation had happened less than a week ago and it still disturbed him. Joshua and Cora both had been asking about Harry and why he hadn't been coming over for meals.

"He's busy with something," Saul always replied each time. He decided that if they asked again, he would tell them about his concerns. More often than not, they knew what was happening in the black community because they knew so many people.

After work he walked home his mind in a jumble. Reggie was sitting on the porch sipping on a glass of lemonade when he got there.

"What's wrong with you?" he asked when he saw Saul's face.

"Nothing- I'm just worried about Harry," Saul replied. "Something is going on with him. He barely talks to me anymore and when he does; he's angry. When I asked him what was going on, he tells me that it's nothing for me to worry about and that I'm safe."

Saul went on to tell Reggie that he had heard the same thing from other baggage boys.

"He's talking to people that he had previously avoided and that includes Dewey."

Reggie was quiet for several minutes before speaking.

"I think that I know what Harry is into."

"What is it?" Saul asked anxiously.

"There are rumors about group young black men who have been robbing white people. Word has it that they're going to use the money to buy guns so that they can start a war with the whites."

"It's more than a rumor isn't it?" Saul asked.

"I would say so," Reggie replied. "Apparently Harry still considers you a friend, but watch your back. That could change at any time."

Saul wanted to say that Harry wouldn't change like that, but he already had changed. He was forced to admit that Reggie was right.

"Have you heard anything from that Lawyer?" Reggie asked changing the subject.

"No, not yet," Saul replied. "They aren't having much luck in finding anyone who will talk. I can't say as I blame them, but Reggie if no one else steps up, the warden is going to get away with murder."

"Maybe, but if he does; it won't be because you didn't try. I also think that Jacob would understand that and would consider the debt paid in full. I'm actually glad that we're talking," Reggie said. "I wanted to talk to you about that girl at church."

"What about her?" Saul asked warily.

"Saul, the world isn't ready for blacks and whites to sit together in restaurants, let alone for them to be in the same bed together. I think that you should let this go and find yourself a nice white girl."

Saul listened with his eyes closed and heard Reggie's concern.

"Reggie, I hear and understand what you're saying," Saul said cautiously, "but what we choose to do is no one's concern but ours. I also think that you're a little premature about the bed thing. All we've done is exchanged names."

"What happens if you pursue this and one of you gets hurt?" Reggie asked. "What you need to realize is this, people will spout the god created everyone equal line as long as the line between us and them don't blur. There are people at our church who spout that line but when it comes down to it... "

"You mean like you're doing?" Saul asked. "I don't mean any disrespect, but Reggie; you're spouting the same line. I mean, listen to yourself. At any rate, the only way that I'm not going to pursue Miss Isadora Hughes is if she tells me that she isn't interested. And if she does decide to see where it goes, then we'll work through any issues together."

Reggie started to argue with him but saw that Saul's mind was made up.

"I hope that you know what you're doing," was all that he said.

****

Dinner was noisy with both Niko and Marie full of news for Kenji. Mai was temporarily for gotten as Kenji listened to what was happening at Niko's school and what Marie had learned during the week from her grandmothers. Patricia listened happily fully aware that this was the normalcy that they wanted and needed.

"I made something for you papa," Marie said her voice excited and full of pride.

"You did? What is it?" Kenji asked with a smile.

"Mama says to give it to you after supper so that you can have time to look at it," Marie said still grinning.

"I look forward to seeing your surprise," Kenji replied with a bow of his head. "Niko, I am happy to hear that things are going well for you at school."

"Thank you papa-mama? Can Florrie come over to play sometime?"

"I don't see why not," Patricia replied. "We'll have to ask her parents if it's alright, but Niko; they may say no."

It took Niko a moment to understand what Patricia meant and when he did, a little of his happiness faded.

"Maybe I should not ask," he said softly. It hadn't occurred to him that Florrie's parents would say no. When they talked about it, she had been so excited telling him that no one had ever offered to have her come to their house to play.

"Honey, I'm not saying not to ask her," Patricia said. "I'm just saying that they may say no. I'll ask them tomorrow when I take you to school."

All of them helped with cleaning up after dinner making it go much faster. When the kitchen was cleaned, Marie rushed Kenji to the living room.

"Hurry papa! I want to give you my gift."

Kenji obliged and sat down on the sofa with Patricia to his right and Niko sitting to his left.

"Close your eyes," Marie instructed from across the room.

"They are closed," Kenji said.

"Open your hands," was the next instruction.

Kenji opened his hands and felt something large and flat being placed on them. He opened his eyes to see a flat parcel that was wrapped in newspaper resting in his hands.

He carefully opened the package and smiled when he saw it. Marie shook with nervousness as she waited for Kenji to open the package.

"Pretty one," Kenji said as he looked at the drawing, "this is beautiful! Come here."

Marie shyly approached Kenji and yelped and then giggled when he lifted her from her feet and into his lap.

"Thank you for your gift," Kenji said kissing her plump cheek. "I would like for you to sign it and then help me choose a place to hang it."

After admiring the drawing for several more minutes, Kenji took a pen from his pocket, turned the drawing over and removed it from the frame.

"Here pretty one; sign your name in the corner."

After the drawing was signed, Kenji and Marie hung the picture where it would be seen as soon as the living room was entered. Kenji kissed Marie's cheek and again thanked her for the gift. Soon afterwards, they were all sitting together and reading. Without being told to, Niko led Marie to the bathroom so she could wash her face and brush her teeth. He took his turn when she was through. After a final goodnight, they were in their beds.

"Kirei, relax while I make tea for us," Kenji said. "Then we will begin making plans for my next rotation."

After the tea was made and he was sitting, Kenji told Patricia about the next rotation.

"It will be the night rotation with Dr. Vincente," he said as he sat his cup down. "The group will consist of four interns..."

"Let me guess," Patricia said, "one of them is Mai."

"Yes Kirei, it is and that makes it even more important that I talk to her as soon as possible."

"Kenji, I don't want you to think that I don't trust you, because I do. I've even questioned whether I'm being a jealous wife, but I'm not jealous. Mai has a thing for you and if she thinks that she has a chance with you, she's going to take it."

Kenji took Patricia's cup from her, sat it on the table next to his and took her hands in his.

"Kirei, you are anything but a jealous wife. Your feelings about Mai are accurate and I have no intentions of ever leaving you for her or anyone else. As I said, I plan to address the situation with Mai as soon as I get back. I will begin by no longer calling her by her given name."

"I don't care that you call her by her given name," Patricia said, "Just be careful around her. I don't trust her. But what I don't understand is why she chose to be a doctor. She's going to have to take care of people of all races."

"This is but a stepping stone for her," Kenji replied. "I believe that she plans to cater to those who are Japanese only."

kalamazoo707
kalamazoo707
1,666 Followers