I'm Not Lisa Ch. 10-11

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
coaster2
coaster2
2,607 Followers

Tim and Ardele left for the hotel just before nine and by ten o'clock almost everyone was in bed. The only exceptions were Raoul and Caroline. They had been talking for some time and I thought I saw something happening between the two. I was probably wrong. Cary was still getting used to the idea that in five months she was going to be divorced. She found the whole idea upsetting. I thought I had better warn Raoul to take it easy. I wasn't sure how much he knew about her situation.

The next morning, Thursday, Raoul was off like a shot to Model and his meeting with Tony Graziano. I had to chuckle. He was like a kid at Christmas with the prospect of this job. Rance and Angus took the jeep and patrolled the property, checking the fences and making sure the feed was out where it should be. They really didn't need to. Charlie had made sure of everything yesterday. Was it a sign that Rance was maybe beginning to feel a little nervous about Saturday?

My dress had been delivered and Marion and Caroline fussed with it when I tried it on. I thought it was perfect, but they still had to make tiny little alterations to make sure it was perfect. There was only one bridesmaid; Caroline. It was going to be a simple, small wedding between two families who had never met until two days before the ceremony. Not exactly the dream wedding every woman wishes for, but I was making allowances for the fact that I was getting the man I wanted and would be living with him in a place I really wanted to be.

My mother and father and Ramon arrived early in the afternoon. They had stayed in Albuquerque overnight before driving up to Trinidad. Dad had decided to turn this trip into a ten day vacation, with the wedding in the middle.

I was first to the door when they arrived and ran out to hug them all in welcome. Marion, Angus, and Rance were right behind me.

"Mom, this is Marion and Angus Cameron, and this is my man, Rance," I smiled. "And these are my parents, Miguel and Carmelita Sanchez, and my younger brother Ramon."

"Very nice to meet you all," my mother said, and echoed by my father. Ramon smiled and shook their hands, but seemed a bit shy I thought. We led them into the house and Rance helped with their bags, putting them in the last open bedroom. It was a noisy reception as a few minutes later Raoul arrived back from his interview, virtually jumping up and down in excitement.

"Mom, Dad, I've got a job already. Isn't that great?"

My mother didn't look thrilled, but I could see my father smile and nod his congratulations. He knew of Raoul's ambition, and was supportive. Ramon would be staying in the bunkhouse with his brother, and said that was just fine.

When things calmed down after a few minutes, Marion poured a glass of wine to welcome my parents and we all sat in the living room as they got to know the family I was marrying into. I didn't detect any discomfort or coolness. Marion had a way about her that disarmed people almost right away. She was a lovely woman that I would be proud to call my mother-in-law. I think my mother sensed that and was happy that was the case.

My father and Angus seemed to have a lot in common as well. Both were down-to-earth working men and I felt they understood that. Within an hour of their arrival, I could relax. The two families didn't have any problem getting along and that was a big relief.

I watched Rance as he stayed in the background, listening to the conversation between my father and Angus. Every once in a while he would cast a glance my way and smile. He seemed comfortable with everything as well.

Caroline arrived just before four o'clock from the photography studio. She was introduced and then helped herself to a glass of wine. She sat near Raoul and Ramon, talking with them for a few minutes. A while later, Marion rose and headed for the kitchen to prepare the evening meal for our guests. Caroline and I were right behind her.

My mother soon joined the group, so it was a bit crowded in the kitchen, but she wanted to talk to Marion and help where she could. I signaled to Caroline that we weren't needed just yet and we returned to the living room to join the others.

"So tell me about your new job," Caroline asked Raoul.

"I'm second mechanic at Southern Valley Drilling. They're the company that's going to be drilling for coal-gas on this ranch. They've got a big shop in Model just up the road a ways and I'll also be doing some field work when needed. I start the beginning of November, so I'll have time to go home and get my things and find a place to live when I get back."

"Why don't you stay in the bunkhouse until you've got a couple of paychecks under your belt and know a little more about the area," I heard Rance say. I hadn't noticed him walk over and join our group.

"That would be great if it isn't any problem for you," my brother said.

"No problem at all. We don't have many hands around at this time of year, so we've got three or four open rooms at the bunkhouse. As a matter of fact, I'll be stayin' out there Friday night. Somethin' about tradition and not seein' the bride before the weddin'."

"That's great, Rance. Thanks," he smiled widely. I don't remember the last time I saw Raoul this happy. He was excited about his new career and his soon-to-be new home.

We had scheduled a wedding rehearsal Friday afternoon and a big dinner at the Comanche Steakhouse in town. Tim insisted that he would be the host for the dinner since he was entirely responsible for putting Rance and me together. It was a pretty lame excuse, but we agreed after we realized any argument would be futile.

Because it was going to be a fairly simple wedding ceremony conducted by the local Episcopalian minister, the rehearsal was quick and went off without any problem. I wondered if it would be that easy tomorrow. I had a feeling I would be pretty uptight, even if Rance wasn't.

My parents were nominal non-practicing Catholics. When I told them that I would be married in a Protestant church, they weren't upset, recognizing that none of the Sanchez family was regular church-goers. My mother always went at Easter and Christmas, but that was about the extent of it. So far, we hadn't encountered any conflicts at all, considering the two families didn't really know anything about each other.

The dinner was noisy and fun. Carly and Ramon were the designated drivers, much to Ramon's chagrin. Angus was still taking some pain medication for his leg, so he was limited to how much alcohol he was allowed. Tim and Ardele were within walking distance of their hotel. In the meantime, I was happily helping myself to the wine. I was probably going to regret it in the morning, but for now, I was having fun and letting go of the tension that I had been feeling.

It was pretty plain that the Sanchez and Cameron families were getting along just fine. Angus and my father, Miguel, were on a first name basis and trading what they called "war stories" for most of the night. My mother, Carmelita, and Marion were also getting on very well. Ramon was in conversation with Tim about I don't know what, while Caroline and Raoul were talking quietly all by themselves. Once again, I thought I saw signs of something more than just conversation. I had Ardele to myself, and I was able to find out a good deal more about Tim than I knew previously.

Sometime before eleven, the party broke up. We hugged Tim and Ardele in thanks for their generosity and told them we'd meet them at the church before one o'clock tomorrow. The rest of us piled into the two trucks and made our way back to the ranch house. I would be sleeping alone for the first time in months, and I already missed the warmth and comfort of my soon-to-be husband.

"I'm going to miss you tonight," I said quietly to him as he prepared to move out to the bunkhouse.

"No more than me. My only reward is that I'll have you for the rest of my life tomorrow. That's worth the wait," he smiled lovingly.

We kissed deeply and held each other for a long time before he left. I suddenly realized how tired I was. All the tension and expectation that had built up in me was now being released. A few hours from now, I would be Mrs. Rance Cameron. It was a dream I didn't imagine was even possible a year ago. Now, it was going to come true.

I walked to our bedroom and undressed, wishing I had the courage to break the tradition and have my man in our bed that night. I crawled under the covers and within seconds I was asleep.

When I awoke on Saturday morning, I realized this was my wedding day. The day I had hoped for since I was a little girl. Almost every young girl dreams of marrying her special man. I know I did. But I don't think I ever thought I would marry a man as wonderful and handsome as Rance. He was something special, something to cherish for the rest of my life. I smiled as I climbed out of our bed. This was my day.

I pulled on a pair of jeans and a sweat shirt, combed my hair back, and brushed my teeth. No point in getting dressed yet. Besides, I could smell bacon and coffee and I knew breakfast was on the way. I walked into the kitchen to find my mother and Marion hard at work. I hugged them both and got a good hug in return.

"How did you sleep?" my mother asked.

"Very well. I feel very rested this morning. How about you?"

"Yes. Your father snores, of course, but ... I'm used to it now," she smiled. "Are you ready for your big day?"

"Yes. I am. I'm very ready."

"Well, have a good breakfast," Marion said, "because it'll be mid afternoon before we eat again."

Just then Ramon came into the kitchen from the back deck.

"I'm the designated food carrier," he said, yawning. "Something about Rance not being allowed to see Sis until the wedding."

"That's right," Marion said. "I'm glad someone remembered. It's bad luck, otherwise."

"Raoul said Caroline told him about it. She made him remember not to let Rance come over here today."

"What about his wedding clothes?" my mother asked.

"All looked after by Caroline. She got him to tell her what he was wearing and she made sure it was all in the bunkhouse yesterday."

"My daughter is becoming quite the organizer," Marion smiled.

"Good for her. I'll have to remember to thank her," I said.

"Thank who," I heard Cary's familiar voice behind me.

"You. You've been looking after getting Rance prepared. Thank you for that," I said, hugging her.

"It's the least I could do. I even got him something special to wear."

"What?" I asked.

"Just you wait and see, Julie. I might even be establishing a new tradition. Who knows."

Caroline was upbeat and looking forward to today. That was a relief. I wondered if it might have been the opposite with her divorce under way. That didn't seem to be the case.

We loaded a large platter with three breakfasts, covered it with a tea towel, and sent Ramon off to the bunkhouse with his load. Caroline followed him with a thermos of coffee she had thoughtfully provided. The boys would survive, although none of them overindulged last night.

Angus and my father showed up a short while later and sat at the dining room table for their breakfast. They hadn't seemed to have run out of topics to discuss, and it was good to see them so involved with each other. I took it as a good omen.

Soon enough, it was time for me to get ready. I had kept my hair fairly short, so I decided against getting a fancy hairdo. There wasn't enough to work with, I thought. A shower, shampoo, makeup, and then begin to get dressed. Caroline joined me and helped me with the dress. It was strapless with a built-in bra, so I didn't have to worry about straps showing. It was also a snug fit. I was showing an extra bit of cleavage as a result, but I didn't think Rance would mind.

My mother came into the room with a hat box she had brought with her. Inside was a classic veil that was a style from at least a century ago.

"This is the veil I wore when I married your father. It has brought me good luck, just as it did for my mother. I want you to wear it today, Juliana."

"Oh, Mother, it's beautiful. I will be so happy to wear it." It was beautiful and I was proud to be allowed to wear it.

I didn't know about it, but Angus had hired a limousine to take me, Caroline, and the parents to the church. As I sat in the back, looking out the window at the wonderful scenery, I was surprised that I wasn't nervous. I felt calm and ready. I looked down at the ring Rance had given me and held it up for my mother and Marion to see once more. It would soon be joined by a wedding band.

As I stood in the entrance hall before entering the church, I felt calmer than I ever expected. I don't know why. Perhaps because I slept well last night, or perhaps there was no "mystery ride" ahead of me. My father stood proudly beside me, smiling at the guests and me. He was happy and I was happy for him and my mother too.

I saw Tim and then Rance step into the aisle in front of the minister, looking back toward me. Then, the organist began playing the Wedding March, and with my father's guidance, we walked slowly down the aisle toward them. My father handed me to Rance, and he took my hand. In a moment I could tell he was nervous; stiff and uncomfortable. I looked in his eyes and saw them glisten, almost on the verge of tears. It was the last thing I expected to see.

Rance was wearing a new charcoal suit, a white dress shirt, and a black tartan tie with red and yellow stripes. The Cameron tartan, I learned later. He also had new shoes, and not the cowboy boots he almost always wore.

The minister began the service and before I realized it, we were saying "I do," and he was pronouncing us man and wife. Rance trembled as he lifted my veil and very tentatively kissed me. I reached for his hand to steady him, and I could feel and hear him relax. It was over. I was Mrs. Rance Ian Cameron, and I was one happy woman.

The reception was fun and lively. A small five piece band played mostly western swing music, with a few contemporary numbers thrown in. I really didn't pay much attention. As I danced with Rance, my father, Angus (awkwardly on his still-healing leg), Tim, Raoul, and Ramon, I was in my own little world. I cut the cake and threw the bouquet and did all the things new brides are expected to do.

Later that afternoon, the limousine arrived and took Rance and me to the Sante Fe Trail Hotel for a brief, two day honeymoon. We would be back at the ranch on Monday morning, delaying our real honeymoon until January when we were scheduled to take a Caribbean cruise for a week. In the meantime, we could get started on baby-making.

On Christmas Eve, I lay in our bed with my husband and we talked quietly about what a wonderful year it had been. The mistaken identification of his sister for his old girlfriend really was the event that led to everything else. It pushed Rance to finally declaring his love for me and it forced me to make a decision about my future life. I have no regrets.

My parents are back in Salinas, and we talk to them once a week on the telephone. That's more than I ever talked to them, even when I was at Stanford.

Raoul is doing well at Southern Valley Drilling; he really likes Tony Graziano and the work. He's adapting to the cold winter weather, but I have a feeling Caroline might have something to do with that. He has an apartment in town, and I know Cary meets him there sometimes after work and they have dinner together. It's the last thing I would have expected, but just the same, if he heeds my advice to go slow, I think they both might have a chance.

Ramon is back in Salinas, getting ready to start the New Year at night school. He was given some advice by Tim about getting a good education in the area that he wants to work in. One trip in Tim's plane convinced him that he wanted to be in aviation, and he's taking a course in aviation mechanics.

Angus is back to normal, or at least as normal as he's going to be on his damaged leg. He's kept the walking stick and uses it when he goes to town or has to walk more than a little. He's allowed on horseback, but no galloping around or riding with the herd. Those were Marion's orders and he knows better than to argue with her.

Marion, Caroline and I are very close. Marion has become the second mother I didn't know I needed. She's calm, cool, and collected in stressful situations and is a fountain of knowledge and good advice about married life. She's also a very good instructor in the kitchen. I'm now able to help her with the main meals and take some of the burden off her.

My business is doing very well. Not terribly busy, but steady and providing a nice income on a monthly basis. It means I can contribute to the household, which is something I insisted upon.

The test sites have produced good results for coal-gas, and even one for water. We should have the permanent wells in place by summer and the royalties will begin to come in. Our agreement with CoalMeth provided for an up-front payment if the test sites were positive, and that will mean less dependence on the line of credit.

Melvin Crenshaw pled guilty to lesser charges of aiding and abetting and has been given three years probation. The former banker's surrender completely undermined Dexter Prentice's not guilty plea, and led to his changing his plea to guilty. He'll be spending the next two to three years in a minimum security facility. It seemed like a reasonable result to everyone but Angus. He was in favor of a hanging in the town square.

Rance is talking about building a home for us near the ranch. Nothing fancy or big, just a nice three bedroom style rancher that would fit in with the surroundings. We've already picked out a plan and the builder, so we'll be visiting with Sam Velasquez to discuss a mortgage soon. I'm not sure Marion is crazy about the idea, but we won't be far away and I didn't want to burden Rance's parents with our presence permanently.

"I've got a special Christmas present for you," I said, whispering in Rance's ear.

"Can I have it now?" he smiled, turning toward me, guessing what he thought I was referring to.

"Since it's almost midnight, suppose so."

He was gently massaging my breast, his thumb gently gliding over the nipple.

"You're going to be a daddy next year," I said, kissing him softly.

"Oh ... I am? When?"

It was like a delayed reaction. When the idea sunk in, he reacted by sitting straight up.

"Sometime in early July, the doctor said."

"You're not kiddin'?" he said, almost unable to believe what he was hearing.

"Nope. I am pregnant."

"Yahoo!" he hollered. I'm sure everyone in the house heard it, but since I'd already told Marion, I didn't expect them to be alarmed. Caroline would figure it out for herself.

"So, we'd better get started on that new home pronto, Cowboy."

"Yes, we'd better," he agreed. "Well, sweetheart, I can't think of a better Christmas present I could ever get. I hope this is the first of a bunch," he said, coming back down beside me, his arm pulling me tight.

"We'll see. Depends on how good a daddy you make."

"I'm goin' to be the best damn daddy you ever heard of."

"Yeah. I think maybe you will be," I said, kissing him again. I was pretty sure he would be too.

END

Author's note: My thanks to Jesse Coulter for the germ of an idea for this story. As usual, both ErikThread and DaveT conspired to make this story better. I'm grateful for their help and any errors are mine alone.

coaster2
coaster2
2,607 Followers