In The Shadow of The Moon Ch. 08

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Wow. Well most in this world would know me as Mistress Medlinya, the Mistress or Keeper of Time." She turned and continued her walk while Victoria processed. It made sense in a way. Her words rang, echoed as if they held the voices of every time it had been used. It explained why she had heard every time her mother had called her awake and the rare occasions when her father did. Each one had resonated and compelled her to wake up. Everything about her hummed with antiquity and the awkwardness of every possibility that could and would be. She was a plain unnatural conundrum.

"So why are you here? I mean not that you need a reason, but I was kind of in the middle of something."

Her laughter was deep and rough and sweet and soft all at the same time. It was the laughter of a an eon.

"You are right child. As a Mistress I need no reason to intervene in someone's life, you should be glad I did not take more drastic methods. Now as for the reason I am here, you were in the middle of something that would have changed everything."

Victoria couldn't speak; not that she didn't want to, her throat just wasn't working at the moment.

"Yes I agree that you should be silent at this moment in time. Now to business. It is very rare for someone or someones to be the center of things. When it comes down to time, usually, regularly, typically, it comes down to a series of decisions made by multiple people that lead up to one great event. Unfortunately convergences like you and your mate throw my time lines all out of whack."

She quickly flipped her hand in front of her and spread her fingers wide and waited, as if expecting something to happen. When it didn't a small wrinkle appeared in her head. She slid her fingers back together and continued talking.

"You two are a very powerful convergence one that will decide the fate of all magical kind, because within you is the power to do a great many things, including a surprising amount of irreparable damage that will leave the world shattered. Ripples upon ripples child."

Still Victoria couldn't speak, so she ceased trying.

"Normally I don't intervene directly like this, but you are on a dark track and your decision tonight was the focal point of it all. You have so many damn walls erected around you that you can't see the people defending you. You can't tell that the tides have changed. I will admit that you have made strides. I will give you points for making an effort, but what you won't do, what you were running from tonight, is taking that final leap of faith. I lived through the woman's rights movement I know all about fighting for what you want and being able to take care of yourself, but sometimes it is OK to be taken care of. It's a good thing to have someone think about you and your safety, because too often in the world there are people who aren't thought of. There are people out there who pass too quickly from the minds of those who could help."

Through her mind flashed the images of children, infants, and teenagers ignored and left on the street. Abuse and starvation swamped her mind. Neglecting the elderly, abusing the impoverished, tormenting the lost. Her heart wept for them, she wanted to do something, make them better, to heal them someway. Her mind turned in towards her own fear, her own problems.

***********

The Mistress pulled up the future again and waited, but it still hadn't changed. Her fear was everywhere, locked in little corners, hiding in cracks and there was only one way to change it all.

"You are stubborn and so are you emotions, so I apologize in advance for this, but it must be done."

She reached out and covered Victoria's eyes with her hand, but instead of blinding her, images began to play like a movie on her eyelids. Her heart wrenched as she broke Antony's. Her words pure venom until she darted away, then blood so much blood. She was haphazardly thrown over a shoulder and Antony lay bleeding out on the ground. Torture, violation, repeated over and over, until her spirit broke shattered into a million pieces. Disgust roiled violently in her throat at her desire to nurture the abominations she had been forced to bring into the world. Then a darkness so cold it couldn't have been death. It was sharp and pointed and nothingness, it was the chill of deep space, of no stars, of a world undone. Sorrow mourned for itself in the silence, an undetectable sound of weeping for a world that should have been saved, could have been saved. Corruption and starvation. Murders unpunished. An ending of the good and the light. Wolves turned to dark and twisted creatures, with no love, no creativity, nothing. An eclipse of the moon. A world shrouded in utter misery and beneath all that, an evil maniacal laughter to reign over it all. A laughter that was tainted with dark magic.

Victoria lay on all fours dry heaving and crying, for the possibility that she would or could let that happen. That she would have to live through all that and more because she knew there was no death for her in what she saw. She was alive to witness every breaking and undoing. She would be the birth of the change. She would be at the center, at its source, the eye of the destructive storm. Her stomach hurt with the convulsions, but there was nothing she could do to stop them. Then a warm presence enveloped her, and held her tightly until the pain was gone.

The mistress again examined the future on baited breath and finally sighed and smiled. It had been cruel, yes. In fact she desired to join the child heaving on the floor. Her being recoiled from allowing the child to feel the destitution, the unending guilt and sorrow; for allowing the girl to experience every emotion that would ravage her body without killing her, that would scour her mind without destroying it. She retched at letting that delicate, but strong soul experience the ceaseless pain of her possible future. It had to be done, there had been no other way. It was the past now, a decision made that she would not take back. She continued to watch the future. She didn't see all yet, for if that was the case her mind would expand beyond her body, burning it out like a candle. She did not have the time to go through the spiritually emaciating process of taking another body. As much as her spirit rejected her actions, she had made the necessary change that would lead to survival for all. She looked down at the heaving wolf and felt what she had created. She had given birth to a fierce determination within the child to protect the world, to protect her people; she had called up the mothering instinct that had lain dormant within the girl's spirit. She looked down on the mother and father of the new evolution of magical beings. She saw the strength and the connection, the same one that had been so weak before, was rapidly strengthening as Victoria unconsciously let Antony in. The Keeper of time watched with eyes that had seen so many years, as the new found determination ate away at the fear, finding it in every corner and crack until the fear would be no more, it was scoured from her body. It would be hard, she would stumble, but she would survive. She reached over and touched both their heads, for Antony had been there the whole time, an invisible observer at her choosing, and commanded them to sleep yet again.

*********

She woke up on the grass again. Antony was a wall of warmth wrapped around her, not that she needed it in her wolf form, but it was a comfort none the less. Her mind was reeling over what the Mistress had showed her, there had been so much death and heartache, but there had been so little she could do about it. Well not really little, there was a huge major thing she could do about it.

She grumbled to herself, but didn't move. She wanted to be rankled by the idea, but she couldn't shake the knowledge that it was completely necessary. You couldn't be shown such utter destruction and not do what you had to do to stop it.

She needed to open up to Antony, stop locking herself down and get her mind out of the past. No pun intended, but she needed to move past it all. And it started with this one simple leap, she had to trust him.

She reached out to touch his mind, knowing he had been awake and waiting, she began to talk. Explaining just how some of the things he did made her feel, telling him about how it all connected to her time with her father's pack. Once she started the words refused to stop and her heavy heart grew light and she felt like she had when they had first mated. She didn't think about the words spilling from her mind, didn't think about how heavy they might weigh on him, she held nothing back, she didn't think, she gave him what he had been asking for. She didn't stop there either; she went back and explained some of the stuff from before they had mated her fear at being soul mates and not life mates, her fear of what that meant. She hadn't known how to deal with her ever growing addiction and desire for him and there just seemed to be so much more stuff piling on top of it. New power and new responsibilities, she felt like when it rained it poured. She talked until she was exhausted and the words wouldn't come anymore.

Then Antony talked and was just as forth coming. It felt like he had been waiting to do this as if he had wanted to be this open with her, if only she would let him. As she listened he assuaged a lot of her fear and discovered that she had done the same for him. She had never wanted him to think she didn't want him. Luna, she craved him and everything he made her feel. His fear of losing her was tantamount to her fear of losing herself, a person she had worked so hard for. In that pursuit she had taken a machete to his feelings and his desires. Without knowing it, she had brought this big strong Alpha to his knees.

With their thoughts exhausted they lay there in the light of the moon, bathing in its sweet rays. Their minds left open to each other, enjoying the intimacy. The weight no longer felt heavy as it spread out between the two of them. She sighed into the comfort of the situation and allowed herself hope for a future.

"Well, well, well. Isn't this a quaint little scene?"

Victoria shivered with the memory of the voice, Braedon, her heart surged as she remembered running. The leering voice a slick oily presence in her mind. She jumped up quickly hackles raised and prepared to fight. Antony moved just as quickly.

"Hello slut, did you miss me?"

She snarled violently as two more wolves came up on the bastards flanks.

"Aww, I'll take that as a yes." His eyes flicked to Antony and he sniffed.

"I see you finally let someone in that sweet fuck box of yours. Guess that means there is nothing to stand in my way now from taking you, that's good to know."

It was Antony who responded loudest this time, she could feel his muscles tighten as he prepared to spring, but time stopped and she heard the voice again, commanding her to see. She blinked as her eyes blurred until finally she saw. Painted, a symbol lay dark on each of the wolves and from it flowed magic so dark you couldn't tell their true color. Just as she saw it she knew how to deal with it. She reached for Antony, his anger was overwhelming him and she knew it would be near impossible, but she needed him to break free long enough to help her with this, she couldn't do it alone. She slipped into the blind fury of his mind burrowing a hole through the slicing pain of his fury until she found him. Just like that, the fury was held back, he surfaced.

Antony we have to remove that magic.

I know. When it's done you have to get back, I can't keep a leash on myself too much longer than a few seconds. Stay behind me at all times and only fight if you have to.

Victoria's first instinct was to balk at the idea, but as she thought about it, she remembered. She tried a different response. She also needed to warn and protect the pack, she couldn't do that if she were fighting with Antony mentally and fighting this scum physically. She nodded and they both reached out to touch the marks, sucking away the power. Though it left her shivering, they protected each other; the dark magic fell away from their bodies and dissipated into the night. They did it until each mark was gone and the wolves were now unknowingly unprotected by dark magic. With the deed done, the wind that had gone silent returned and the soft laughing growls that had come from their three opponents rushed back to their ears.

Victoria didn't think about it, she loped back three paces and turned on the defensive. She immediately reached towards the pack, warning them of the danger, delivering orders as Antony was not in a state to do it. She wanted them safe, images of what the mistress had showed her flashed in her mind and her new determination rose. It wouldn't happen, they would be safe. She kept her eyes on the battle though, her muscles twitching as she dug her claws deep into the earth. It was only lingering images of what could be if they got their hands on her, that kept her from leaping in the fray. Antony was lethal, a weapon of mass destruction, taking out one of the wolves in his first lunge. The other two were more careful trying to get behind him, to get to her, but they never did. Dispensing with another wolf quickly, Antony turned, there was only Braedon left. The cocky asshole was circling, forgetting about her, his focus completely on Antony. They met with the force of titans, anger and malice colliding as they bit and sliced. They met and separated coming at each other from different sides, but each time they left there was a little more blood, Victoria's heart raced a little faster, her muscles twitched more frequently, she inched closer and the world grew a little more silent. Until finally there was a deafening crunch and yelp that reverberated through the silence of a world waiting with baited breath.

***********

Antony's breath was heavy, but he grasped the dead wolf in his jaw and dragged it to Victoria. Letting it drop with a muffled thump on the grass in front of her, he waited for her to acknowledge his prowess. She ignored it, his irritation was abated though, as she ran her nose and body along his length. Each wound she met she licked until it closed. When she reached his head again she nuzzled affectionately before turning her attention to the dead wolf at their feet. With her pressed so closely against him, he could feel her growl roll down her body, vibrating in ever strand of her fur. She unleashed her fury, at the situation, her inability to help, her pent up frustration was let loose into air in a gut wrenching howl. He understood now. Understood her compulsion to protect him and the pack, it was as fierce as his', if not stronger for the maternal instinct, on the part of the pack, that drove her. Still she had fought that, fought through it all to see the reason in staying behind.

When her howl died, she stood beside him trembling in fury, the pent up energy that had flooded her system left her shaking from nose to tail. She continued to glare down at the body and he watched as she processed the flood of remembered torment that the wolf had caused her. He snarled at some of the images. She had hidden much but he could see now why, for even as he sought to soothe her, she attempted to shield him from the fury of her emotions and brutality of the memories. He questioned, only momentarily, how she had not broken, but he had seen proof of her strength in the short time she and her mother had been here.

"We need to run the perimeter. Check to be sure there are no other incursions."

Her breath came out in a huff, "Let's go."

She took off and he could see all the emotions flowing into the ground, left for nature to render impotent. They darted through trees catching scents of old pack patrols, but no other strange scents showed up as they ran the length of their territory and back circling deep into the back of their territory before doubling back and heading toward the main buildings of the compound. They padded quietly out of the woods. Unworried, Antony affectionately nuzzled her, nipping at her playfuly, his desire rising quickly. He had protected both mate and pack and he wanted to bask in his sexual prowess.

"You know I think I am going to tie you to our bed and show you what comes of torturing your Alpha."

He felt her flash of panic and then she caught the mental image in his mind and her body instantly warmed for him.

"You wish I would let that happen. Unfortunately Alpha boy, you do not hold all the cards, maybe I want to return to my mom's rooms. Perhaps I had no intent of returning to your suites tonight."

They continued their walk and Antony was stopped short until he realized she was playing with him.

"Do what you want, but I don't imagine your mother would appreciate all the noise. I do intend on having you make a lot of noise, so it is totally you choice."

"Hm...Promises, Promises."

He could feel her nerves, she was uncomfortable with giving into the feelings coursing through her body, but it seemed she was tired of fighting. Thank Luna for that, because he was tired of pushing. Tonight he wanted to bask in the soft, warm comforts of her body with no fight, but the challenge of subduing an unruly and all too willing mate. He rubbed his body against hers. Enjoying the feel of the firm stroke that set his paws tingling. The more he thought of what he wanted to do to her, the more he rubbed. His thoughts became less focused, less detailed and exacting. Feelings took over as the wolf's passion stepped to the fore front.

"Well do take your sweet time! It isn't as if you have a whole pack waiting behind an impenetrable magical bubble wondering if you are alive or dead or captured. No, no, please, continue petting each other, we can wait all morning. Not as if anyone would like to sleep tonight."

The obstinate mildly amused voice broke through his muddled thoughts. He groaned and looked over at the frazzled looking Mistress. Her bunny slippers and wrapped hair were comical compared to her annoyed face. He nudged Victoria one last time and they both shifted.

"What bubble?"

"Well thank you...for returning...to the land...of the speaking!" Her pauses were long and dramatic and only matched by the eye roll she gave the two of them.

"As for the bubble, your mate over there, in her embracement of her role as Alpha Female, erected a rather affective magical barrier that will allow nothing in and nothing out. A poor little cat almost lost its gibbly bits trying to get out, but that is beside the point. With her being a convergence, she is already pulling on a massive amount of power, but then she went and pulled on the source, tapping into a power I am sure she didn't know she had. I can't bring the damn thing down because my power is tied into it and with both of us funneling, whatever I take out she puts back in. It is incredibly effective and an incredibly annoying problem that I am sure your pack would like taken down so they can check on you. I, on the other hand, am sleepy. I just want to go to bed." She gave a grumpy sigh akin to that of a cat exhausted with its current task and slumped against the invisible barrier and promptly jumped back with a squee and an umph. She land firmly on her back.

"I'm not good with early morning..." Quite sure that she had fallen asleep, Antony burst out laughing.

"I am also not someone to be laughed at and when I am less tired I will deal with you." Remaining on the ground, she shifted her attentions. "Victoria, if you would, allow me access to your mind. What you are doing is a defense system, a sub conscious effort to do what you can. While you are still worried of the danger..." at this Antony looked over at her and could see the truth of the statement written on her face. "...you will be unable to lower the shield." There was a silence and Antony felt the Mistress entering the shared space of their consciousness. The air shimmered and then he knew the barrier was gone. The pack rushed them, sniffing and touching. Those who were shifted howled with pleasure at the safe return of their Alphas.