Ingrid Ch. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
coaster2
coaster2
2,601 Followers

It didn't sound like a definite no, so Steve pressed on.

"It won't take long and I'm sure you don't enjoy eating alone. The food here is very good. Needless to say, Maurice is a client of mine."

She laughed out loud for the first time in what seemed hours. "Alright, but only if you'll let me pay. After all, you are my customer."

"Nope, it's my idea and I insist. We can discuss a return engagement later."

"OK Steve. We've got a number of meetings we'll need to have during the next couple of months, so I'll get my chance to return the hospitality."

"Great, it's settled then."

He was all smiles and delighted that she had agreed to stay. Every minute with her was a pleasure. He waved subtly to the waiter.

"Jean, this is my friend Ingrid. Ingrid, Jean LeGasse, the most skilled waiter in the province."

"Careful Monsieur or I will have to get the shovel," he said with a twinkle in his eye.

Ingrid laughed out loud again, taking the menu from the waiter's hand. Jean explained the specials, and they both decided on the veal and scalloped potatoes. They ordered another glass of wine despite Ingrid's concerns over the presentation that had to be ready next morning.

Steve couldn't remember when he had felt this buoyant. Great food, good wine, and a beautiful woman to grace the table. He wondered how envious some of the other male patrons were.

All too soon, it was over and Ingrid had to go. They slid out of the booth in the same direction, and he held out his hand to help her up. She looked up at him as she took his hand. Her smile was electric, and he felt that tightness in his stomach once again.

It was the first time he had touched her since they shook hands at the front door of his new home. This time, her touch was light and exciting. As she brushed by him, he caught the faint scent on her shoulder. If it wasn't a perfume, perhaps it was her natural scent. Whatever it was, it was intoxicating.

Outside in the fresh early evening air he walked with her to her car in the small parking lot.

"I think I could have made it here on my own Mr. Inhalt," she said with an arched eyebrow and her trademark smile.

"You can never be too careful Miss Solberg," he said imitating her formality.

"When do you think you will want to get together to discuss ideas for the house?"

"Probably the day after tomorrow. If I can get this government presentation wrapped up tomorrow, I should be able to get a good start on Thursday. I'll give you a call as soon as I have something. Good night, Steve, and thank you for the lovely dinner."

She closed the door, started the car and backed out of the parking space. In a moment she was gone. Steve stood watching her until she was out of sight. He slowly walked back into Maurice's and returned to the booth they had shared. He ordered a coffee and a brandy from Jean.

-0-

As Ingrid drove slowly away from the parking lot, she glanced back in the mirror. He was standing on the sidewalk watching her, not moving. He was there still when she rounded the bend and disappeared from his sight.

It had been a strange day, or just a strange five hours. She had met him at three at his new house, and now it was almost eight and it felt like she had been with him all day. She was conscious of the tension she felt inside. He had been a pleasant surprise.

She had arrived at the Inhalt property a few minutes early. She hated being late, and it gave her a chance to survey the house and its surroundings. It was quite something. Even from the driveway it had a magnificent view of the outer harbor all the way across to Vancouver Island. The Lighthouse at Point Atkinson was framed perfectly by the West Vancouver mountainside and the Gulf. The south tip of Bowen Island was visible in the distance. This was truly a million dollar view.

The house itself was set low, wrapped around a gigantic outcropping of granite. The previous owner had installed a cement patio between the crescent shape of the house and the roughly rounded inside of the granite. The house itself was a rancher design with what looked like might be an open ceiling. The double carport tacked on the street end of the house was a poorly executed design. There wasn't enough room for the full length of a standard sedan, although the width was suitable for two cars.

She guessed the house was built in the seventies and hadn't been touched on the outside. The good news was the thick, horizontal cedar siding. It looked to be in good condition despite the fact that it had been left to weather unfinished for thirty years. A fresh coat of stain would do wonders for the aged appearance.

The garage would be a major project if her guess about what was underneath it was right. The house wasn't very big, probably only 1500 sq. ft., but its unique design and fabulous view made it a worthwhile investment. She wondered how he had found it.

At three that afternoon, she walked through the rustic brick arch and cedar gate onto the patio toward the front door. Three large single pane picture windows looked out over the southwestern view. She noticed patio doors at each end of the main section of the house. The east wing was probably a sleeping area. As she walked toward the large double front doors, she noticed there were no curtains. The inside was dark and she couldn't see anything from the outside. She walked up to the door and knocked.

He seemed surprised, caught off guard by her arrival. As she entered the house, it took a couple of minutes for her eyes to adjust to the dark interior. They exchanged introductions as she entered, and she began to look around. Despite the large windows, southern exposure, and the bright, sunny day, the inside of the house was unusually dark.

The walls either featured large windows or plain white drywall. In the center of the living room a massive rustic brick fireplace interrupting the otherwise drab interior. The east end of the great room was a dining area, evidenced by a forlorn chandelier hanging from the gabled, cedar deck ceiling.

A small galley kitchen with a pass-through to the dining area took up very little space. As she wandered through the house, she noted a decent sized laundry and mud room. Next, a small second bedroom, and then the main bathroom with just the basic necessary fixtures in dated colours. At the south end of the rambling home, a reasonably sized master bedroom with an adequate ensuite.

She snapped pictures to remind herself of the contents. She made notes on her clipboard as she moved through the house. She took rough measurements of each room to help her with the estimating. She could come back later for the detail information if she was awarded the contract.

They chatted as she moved about the house. She was fascinated with it. It was a mess, but it had enormous potential, inside and out. The house was empty with no furniture except an aging bar stool at the kitchen pass-through. Steve sat patiently on the stool while she conducted her survey. It was going to be a challenge to get light into this house. Her first questions to the new owner were related to the renovations.

Steve told her that he intended to push the kitchen out eight feet onto the only flat area on the north side of the house. This would produce a big increase in kitchen size, 150 sq. ft. or more. In addition, the window wall would be all glass, from floor to gabled ceiling. That would greatly improve the light in the centre of the house. New cabinets and the removal of the pass-through would also help.

When she inquired about the builder, she was pleased to hear it would be Tony Blanton. He was just what this job needed and was great to work with. She looked at a couple of sketches the architect had done on the kitchen addition and garage and was pleased with the new look. It would be a dramatic improvement.

It was a shame the kitchen window wall would only be seen from the inside of the house. When she looked north into the back yard, she saw only a steep, rocky hill with scrub bush. No one would be going up there anytime soon.

The drawing indicated it was a triangular lot, narrow but long. It was three-quarters of an acre, half of which was occupied by the massive granite boulder in front. The house was sitting on the only section of the property on which anything could be built.

She made a note of the architect's name, and would consult with him if she got the work. She didn't have long to wait. When he told her, almost off-handedly, that she had the job, she was excited, but tried not to show too much. The man made quick decisions.

He surprised her by asking her to join him for an after-work drink in the village and she surprised herself by saying yes. They had progressed to first names and she felt comfortable around him. She hoped this was a sign that she would enjoy working with him.

He was about her height, maybe an inch or two taller. Short cropped brown hair with a hint of gray showing even though he was only in his early thirties. He was neat, even in work clothes, and looked like he chose what he wore carefully. He had a quiet, pleasant voice, and spoke in clear, concise sentences. Except, that is, when he stammered.

She was smiling, thinking about his awkward greeting at the door and later, during their conversation at the restaurant. She suspected she was the cause of his brief stumbles. She was quite pleased with herself that she had this effect on someone who was clearly a sophisticated businessman. But he had a good sense of humour and smiled easily. He was obviously financially secure. The house, a nice car, and what appeared to be a good relationship with the best restaurant in town were evidence of that.

There was something about him that told Ingrid he was holding back. He was unmarried, reasonably handsome, and successful. Just the kind of man she had been looking for. She'd had too many losers in her life, especially her former husband, Max.

Max Durham had been screwing anything that wasn't from another planet. She put up with it for while, but he rubbed her nose in it one too many times. Her current independent status was thanks to a particularly hard-nosed divorce lawyer who extracted a very high price for his wayward ways.

The money was enough to make sure her new business could survive until either she succeeded, or went back to being an employee in some established firm. Luckily, it looked like the money might just be enough to make it. The job with Steve would definitely change her financial circumstances for the better.

All in all, it had been a strange day, but for a change, one with a happy ending.

coaster2
coaster2
2,601 Followers
12