Innocent Collector

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Plus the insurance."

"A lot?"

"Enough."

"So maybe he wanted to live beyond his present means maybe."

"Without a doubt. Paul, it isn't like I'm miss innocence either. I got where I really didn't care. If he wanted to have his boss over or his friends, I'd be sure I wasn't available, because I wanted to hurt him. I lost my temper easier as time passed and I threw my share of things at him."

"So you weren't even sleeping in the same bedroom then I'm sure."

"Sometimes yes and sometimes no. We took turns sleeping in the guest room. It's all pretty pathetic isn't it."

"Sounds like how a lot of marriages go, except most marriages fall apart because of money or sex. Too much or not enough of either one often times."

She smiled at him and then took a drink after she told him, "Well we had enough money." Paul just smiled back and then tried to hide behind his glass as he emptied it.

The next ten days were quiet and Paul was able to get a lot done in his office. But every morning after breakfast and coffee, Tina would get dressed and pose in another new outfit for Paul and he would smile and sing her praises. Tina was beyond bored, but by using one of Paul's computers she could pass a lot of time, plus she was doing most of the cooking and laundry for them. It wasn't a particularly happy time for her, but it was far better than being sequestered in a motel someplace. Then on Wednesday afternoon, Detective Andrews called and told Tina, "Your husband now knows that you are alive and have talked to us. I can't go into details, but I think we have his attention. He's still not ready to believe us, but he will."

"But he doesn't know where I am right?"

"He has no idea."

"That's good. Okay...let me think as second. Okay, I could record a message to play for him. I'm sure he'd recognize my voice and I can mention something that is very personal to prove it. I think I could really rattle him."

"Let me get back to you Mrs...."

"Call me Tina."

"I'll talk to you soon Tina, and thanks for volunteering."

"Happy to do that Detective." Paul was listening to her side of the conversation and he could figure out most of what was said.

"So now Dale knows."

"Yes and I'm so glad. That tells us that they're still working on him and that good or bad, things are going to change."

"And the recording?"

"Well you heard me volunteer that."

"Want to do that now in case they want to use that?"

"Can we?"

"I have a digital recorder that I sometimes use when I'm traveling. I'll get it and you think about what you want to say. Then when you're ready, go to your room and record it. If it isn't what you want then delete it and you can try a new one."

"If nothing else I would enjoy saying some things."

"Good for you." He retrieved the recorder from a drawer and handed it to her and then kissed her. "Take your time and think about it. Savor your chance to explain a few things to him."

"Paul, what if they can't find enough evidence against Dale?"

"Well I have to think he could never try to hurt you again because the police would be on his ass in a blink. And he has to find you first."

"That's a good way to think, but I'm not sure he'd be thinking straight."

"You make a good point. But he still doesn't know where you are."

"That's true, but I'll have to do something one of these days. I'm almost surely out of a job by now for one thing, and I can't keep living off of you no matter what you say or how hard you work to make it better for me. Paul, you mean more to me than anybody in the world. I honestly believe I love you more than I've ever loved Dale, but in my situation I can't trust my own judgment."

"Tina honey, I don't know what to say to that. You've always been so special to me, but it isn't hard to see that you mean even more to me now. But as much as I like having you here with me, I want to see you free to do as you please and free of fear of Dale or anybody else that might want to harm you."

Chapter Fourteen

Tina sat near Paul in his office and jotted down thoughts as they came to her. Paul looked over at her and smiled and then went back to what he was doing. It didn't take her very long to list the points she felt she needed to make. Mostly she wanted him to hear her voice and make sure he knew it was her and that his world was going to crumble.

Tina didn't say anything to Paul before she went to her room. She was gone for quite awhile and Paul focused on what he was doing because she didn't need and probably didn't want his input. When she came back to him she asked him, "Want to hear what I said?"

"Of course if you don't mind."

"I started over three times, but this is what I ended up with." She moved her chair over close to Paul and turned on the recorder.

"Hello Dale. Yes, this is your devoted wife. Am I talking to you from the grave? No, I'm very much alive and even very healthy in fact, no thanks to you. I'm talking to you from...well we'll leave the name of the city out of it. Dale, I'm going to list a series of events and facts that I either know or can prove when the time comes, or I strongly suspect. Now none of this will be new to the police because we've had some detailed conversations.

Let's start at the beginning. Oh wait, first let me say this. Just so you'll know that this really is Tina your soon to be ex wife. Listen all the way to the end where I prove to you that it really is me.

Dale, you and I have been fighting like dogs for a long time. If you told the

police we've had a good marriage, they now know you were lying. In fact, we

had yet another fight just before I went jogging that cool spring day not so long ago.

I was intercepted by three thugs, and quickly bound and taped and thrown into a

van. But as the tape went over my mouth, I saw two of the men and heard the third

one. Sorry Dale, but once the police have a list of suspects boiled down, I'll be able

to pick them out. You know Dale, the three goons you sent to abduct me. I hope

you're making a list of these details and accusations. Here's a biggie Dale. I was

driven well out of town and kept there until dark. Guess what they did to me next

my husband? Did they tell you the details of this part? They threw me on my belly

on the ground and they shot me in the head. That's right, in the right side of my

head. The doctors thought it had to be a small caliber weapon, like maybe a twenty

two. A great assassins weapon I'm told, but the shooter has to be able to shoot

straight and he has to have the nerve to make sure his target is dead. Your man

missed on both counts. He didn't even take a second shot so I hope you didn't pay

him much. I managed to survive and a couple of days later my wounds were

treated and I went into hiding. I'm coming for you Dale. Me, the police and the

detectives are working seven days a week on this and in case they didn't tell you,

they are making progress. Dale how long did it take to get my car turned into parts

or shipped out of the country? How long did it take you to get rid of all of my

clothes and my personal things? Oh, here's one for you. The house locks

have all been changed. Wonder how I know the hidden key doesn't work? Afraid

my key ring fell into the wrong hands? Afraid your slaves will come back and rob

you or worse? You planned this far in advance by the way. Oh, and the thirty

thousand dollars that I supposedly took? I'm betting that was the cash you

withdrew when you were looking at that used Mercedes. I'll also bet that all or

some of that cash went to your three witless cohorts." "Okay, here's the detail that

will tell you it really is me. Let me see if I can get the days correct here. It

was four days after you played golf with Pete...somebody or another at Concord

Hills and you came home somewhat wasted. Sound familiar. Here's one more

detail that you may or may not be able to remember. You tried your damndest to

screw me but you couldn't get it up. Remember that? I sure remember that event.

That had to be pretty embarrassing for you right stud?

"Okay, see you in court soon I'm sure." Tina had been watching Paul and she waited for him to say something. When he didn't she asked, "Well?"

"Very powerful, and I liked the part about making him wait until the end to hear your intimate details. He had to hear it all that way. I liked the way you misled him by referring to another city. I like the way you played with his mind. What do you really know and can prove, and what do you only suspect? He can't be sure about some of those details, unless of course he is innocent, which is highly unlikely. But the most important thing is, did you address your most salient points? Are those the most important things you wanted to tell him? If so, I'd say you made a very good recording, short and to the point."

"It's funny Paul, but as I wrote things down I drew lines through a lot of them, because they really aren't important anymore, not really. I want him out of my life. If he is guilty, and of course I'm certain he is, then I want him caught and I want him to get the harshest penalty he can get. And I want my life and my home back."

"You going to call the detective or wait for him to call you?"

She smiled and said, "I think I'll call him and just let him know the recording is ready in case he can use it. If he wants me to redo it and mention certain things I can still do that."

When she came back, she told him, "Detective Andrews will be over to listen to the recording because, though they are still working on something, they think the recording could be very helpful."

Detective Andrews was smiling when Paul let him in and reset the alarm. "Nice to see you again Mr. Bishop."

He saw Tina and said, "Hi, you look a whole lot better than the last time I saw you."

"Thank you, I feel good. Of course I'll feel better once this is all resolved and I can go home again."

"I can only imagine."

Paul said, "Well, I'll let you two talk."

"Please stay, I'm sure the detective doesn't mind."

"Not at all. Okay, let's hear what you made Tina."

Paul stood off to the side and watched the detective as he listened. It was easy to see that Detective Andrews wasn't missing a word and he would smile and nod his head every few seconds. At the end he leaned back and said, "Great job Tina. You've done about everything we had in mind. You made it threatening, but smooth. You brought up some very good points and I like the way you worked on him. If we tell him we know something, he may not believe us, but when he hears you, the victim, say the same thing that's powerful. Okay, we'll keep you posted the best we can." He thanked Tina again and shook Paul's hand and left.

"What do you think Paul," Tina asked.

"I think he liked it a lot, and I think he's going to use it on Dale in the next day or two, but I'm just guessing of course. All of this has been so wild, I may have to use some of it in a future mystery."

She smiled and said, "I get royalties then."

Paul went over to her and kissed her before saying, "Have your people call my people." Then he stopped and smiled and kissed her again. "Damn I'm glad I'm not allowed to kiss your forehead."

Paul was feeling pretty good until Meg called. When he heard her voice he didn't like himself very much for not calling her. He didn't even think about Tina being nearby as he said, "Hi Meg, how are you." There was a pause and then he told her, "Now hold on a minute. Something is going on down here that I can't talk about right now and it's taking all of my time." Another pause and then he said, "Damn it Meg, I am, I am telling you the truth....well I'm sorry, but I can't talk about it right now. I'll tell you the whole story as soon as I'm allowed to." Then he looked at the phone and put it down.

"She hung up on you didn't she Paul."

He turned around and looking at Tina he said, "Yes, damn it."

"So there's more between you two than what you told me.

He had to think about what Tina had just said and then told her, "Maybe some, but it isn't what you probably think."

"Paul I told you I would be trouble for you."

"If Meg is that immature then she'll just have to suffer alone."

"But Paul, think about it. How likely is it that you would have something so vital and highly secret that you couldn't tell her? Is that typical for a writer of mysteries? Don't blame her for not believing you, because your story, though true, is hard to believe."

"Then when I can tell her, it will be up to her to settle down and forgive me."

"Not forgive you. Don't hold out for a weeping apology, just put it behind both of you and move on."

"You're right, but damn she made me mad."

"And you made her mad. I wish I could have talked to her."

He managed to laugh and say, "Can you imagine how that would have gone right then?"

Then she laughed and said, "Not a good idea."

Chapter Fifteen

More days passed, but late Tuesday afternoon Detective Andrews called and asked for Tina. She and Paul looked at each other as she took the phone and listened. "Tina, we've spent the last few hours with Dale and it was going much as we had expected it would go. Then we talked about you and he refused to accept our word that we know you are indeed alive and you haven't run off. Tina, we played your tape for him."

"God, I hope it convinced him."

"He's still playing word games, but yes, it helped a lot. He's trying to find a way to mitigate his involvement, but his stories are getting more desperate as we go. I should have waited until we were done, but you have been in my thoughts and I wanted you to know how things are going."

"Thank you Detective. What if he were to see me?"

"If you're willing to put yourself through that I'd say the sooner you can get here the better. Let's see if we can shock him into talking."

Tina insisted on driving Paul's car and as soon as they were on their way she said, "Now call Meg."

"Not right now, we have too much going on."

"Paul, she's hurting or she wouldn't have acted as she did. There's no reason for you not to call her, and don't worry about me. You are the only one that can make this right for both of you." He pulled his phone from his belt and looked at it as he thought about what he was going to say, and then punched in her number.

He heard a tentative hello so he said, "Meg, it's me and please don't hang up before I tell you everything."

There was a silence and Paul held his breath until he heard her say, "Okay, I'm listening."

"Will you promise you'll listen to everything and not hang up?"

"Why, are you telling me you're going to give me reason to do that?"

"Because what I'm going to tell you will sound unbelievable. Will you promise me Meg?"

"I'll listen." It took him a few minutes to first remind her of the abduction and then on about Dale and Tina.

But when he stopped she was silent so he asked her, "Are you still there Meg?"

"Paul, this is..."

"Just a second," and he handed the phone to Tina and said, "Talk to her for me."

"Meg?"

"Who is this?"

"This is about what Paul just told you. Meg, it's all true. Everything he told you is true. Listen, we're at the police department now and we're in a hurry to get in there."

"But how do you know it's true, and you didn't tell me who you are."

"I know it's true because I'm the victim. I'm Tina, the one that was shot...Dale's soon to be ex wife. If you'd like I'll send you a photo of my head where they shaved it so they could tend to my wound."

"Oh my god."

"I'm sorry we have to rush, but Paul will call you later."

"I...okay Tina...and thanks." Tina closed the phone and they went in to see Detective Andrews.

"Paul, I'll have you wait here so Dale doesn't connect you two. And Tina, you come with me. Are you sure you're up to seeing Dale and let him see you?"

"Very ready."

"Remember, no outbursts and in fact say little or better yet, nothing to him. Stare at him all you want, but control is the key okay? I'll have an officer with you and another in the room with Dale, plus I'll be in there as well. Questions?"

"No questions and I'll be silent. I want to focus on his face when he sees me." They stopped at a solid looking door with a number four over it and the detective softly told her, "His attorney is with him so don't let that throw you off. Focus on Dale just like you said. Once he's had a good look at you I'll close the door and you can rejoin Paul. Then I'll be out shortly or I can call you later."

"We'll wait."

Tina's heart was racing and she was struggling with the raging hate that was welling up in her whole body. She swallowed and took a deep breath just before the door opened. Then there sat Dale trying to look calm and confident, but to Tina his face told a different story. Tina turned her head and lifted her hair so Dale could see where she was shot. She didn't say a word nor did she even point at the wound, but she was sure he saw the still bandaged wound where she should have had hair. Then Detective Andrews closed the door and still seeing Dale in her mind, she stood there for a few seconds, and the officer walked her out and she walked into Paul's arms. It was only a minute later when Detective Andrews appeared and asked Tina, "One of the detectives just asked a very good question. Is Dale in the habit of having two garage door openers in his car?"

"Of course not, one for his car and one for...for mine."

As she studied the detective he smiled and said, "Yes, interesting isn't it. I'll be back." Then he stopped and turned as he smiled again. "Tina, did you happen to notice how Dale looked when he saw you?" His smile continued as he turned and headed for his suspect and the attorney.

Detective Andrews appeared a half an hour later and putting his hand on Tina's shoulder told her, "Dale and his attorney are in conference with the DA."

"That's good isn't it?"

The detective was beaming as he said, "Yes, that's good, that's very good. The garage door opener question right after seeing you seemed to break his resistance. Tina, you don't have to hide anymore. Dale isn't under arrest just yet, so don't race home, but it won't be long now I'm sure."

"I'll need his key so I can get in anyway."

"I think that can be arranged," and only a couple of minutes later Tina had the key to her house.

Tina was a new woman as Paul drove them toward home. "Tina honey, you are beaming. This is the best you've looked in a long time."

"This is by far the best I've felt in a long time." As soon as they were home she threw her arms around him and they joined in a light kiss, but this time she held him tightly and kissed him like she was his lover. When he could, Paul looked down at her with a smile, but before he could say anything she told him, "I owe you a lot of kisses and a lot of money."

"I demand payment on the kisses, but the rest is a settled issue, the books are closed."

"Paul, now you spent a lot of money on me."

"I really didn't."

"We'll argue about this later. Now go call Meg."

"You are persistent, I'll say that about you."

"She's your friend at the very least, and she deserves to hear everything."

Chapter Sixteen

Paul called Meg and they talked a few minutes reviewing what he had told her earlier. Within twenty minutes after that call, Sybil called him. "I just talked to Meg, are you okay?"

He dropped into a chair and told her, "I'm fine, and it's great to hear from you. More importantly, how are you doing?"

"I'm doing better than I should be doing that's for sure."

"Sybil you sound like you're feeling guilty for being so strong."

"Thanks for putting it that way, but...well anyway, so what's your story? how is this Tina doing?"

1...345678