Into the Unknowable Ch. 13

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

The debate soon became more heated as the majority that wanted to pray for forgiveness and to contemplate the beauty of the Lord God's creation was refusing to take orders.

"In the eyes of the Lord, we are all equal," said one soldier.

"It is said of the Revelation: Now is come salvation, and strength, and the kingdom of our God, and the power of his Christ: for the accuser of our brethren is cast down," said another.

"Our duty is to destroy the Apostasy and all its abominations," said Isaac sternly. "Do not be distracted by Satan's mockery of the Revelation of Saint John the Divine." He then produced a hand-weapon which he pointed at the head of one of those who'd adopted a reverential attitude. "Your duty is to the mission to which you have been assigned by the Ecumenical Union. Don't force me to have to shoot you."

Fortunately, Isaac was relieved of this responsibility.

Quite suddenly and with no warning, he and all the other Christian Soldiers collapsed as one onto the lawn.

Emmanuel regarded the prostrate bodies. It had to be the Intrepid's security systems. It would never permit physical violence to take place on board the ship where passengers were at risk.

Sure enough, within a minute of the Christian Soldiers losing consciousness, Colonel Vashti emerged from behind one of the villas flanked by three soldiers and Science Officer Planck. They appeared to be in no hurry. Colonel Vashti was in full military dress and strode straight over to Emmanuel.

"I trust you are unharmed?" she asked.

"I'm fine," Emmanuel said. "You arrived just in time. These crusaders were just about to fight each other."

"As long as they harm only one another then I don't mind," said the colonel. "I take it they all entered through that gateway?"

"I believe so, sir," said Emmanuel. "Do you know what that thing is?"

"That's just one more new and exciting phenomenon to investigate," said Science Officer Planck who was bubbling over with irrepressible enthusiasm. "Every day brings a fresh new scientific discovery."

"But what is it?"

"We don't know," admitted the Science Officer. "There have been several such gateways appearing throughout the Intrepid. Do you want to look inside?"

"I admit I'm curious," said Emmanuel.

"We'll be sending two soldiers through the gateway to see what's on the other side," said the colonel. "Would you like to accompany them?"

"I don't think so," Emmanuel admitted. "It could be very dangerous."

"My men won't be troubled by that."

Indeed, as Emmanuel, the Science Officer and the colonel proceeded towards the strangely amorphous gateway, two soldiers entered ahead of them and mysteriously disappeared. It was like a smaller version of the Anomaly's much larger gateway through which the Intrepid had entered. It was no less mysterious when Emmanuel stood right in front of it and looked inside. What he saw was an open dimly lit space rather like a large room in which there were the shadowy figures of other Soldiers of Christ gathered in a circle around the gateway and peering through it from the other side. They stepped back as Emmanuel and the Science Officer poked their heads in.

As Emmanuel looked in, he could see no sign of the two soldiers who'd entered ahead of him. What he did see was a monstrous cross elevated high above the heads of all the Soldiers of Christ on which was an especially gruesome and life-like image of Christ and his suffering.

"That's enough," said Colonel Vashti. "We have to seal the entrance now."

"And leave the two soldiers inside?" asked Emmanuel.

"We are on a mission of discovery," said Science Officer Planck. "The two soldiers will be fulfilling that mission and adding greatly to the extent of human knowledge."

"I have no fear for their safety," said Colonel Vashti with a reassuring smile. "They'll be perfectly all right. Now please step back, gentlemen."

Emmanuel and the Science Officer obeyed the colonel's instruction and stood back nearly ten metres while the Intrepid constructed a transparent shell around the gateway that reflected enough light to be visible. Emmanuel could still see through the gateway but anyone who'd stepped out would be confined within the shell.

"I really must congratulate you on your calm and professional approach," said the Science Officer. "Now, would you be so kind as to accompany me so that you can give a complete account of what happened? It won't take long but the pursuit of science will be immeasurably enhanced by your cooperation."

Emmanuel felt the warmth of satisfaction well up inside him. He could barely wait to return to his husband and give an account of all that had happened.

Even though this wasn't what Emmanuel had expected, he'd assisted the mission in a practical way after all. A Special Operations Officer could still prove to be of practical value even in the heart of the Anomaly.

12