Into the Vampire's Lair Ch. 11

Story Info
Finding solutions.
10.3k words
4.77
28.8k
29

Part 11 of the 14 part series

Updated 09/22/2022
Created 02/19/2011
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
ArtForm
ArtForm
1,148 Followers

NB: Credit goes to my editor, wildheartedangel, for making the necessary checks and changes. Anyway, I realize that there are actually quite a few loose ends to tie so I might have two instead of one chapter more to write for this series. I know that this chapter ends with a mother of all cliffhangers so cookies and steak are welcomed since the muse is unwilling at the moment. Lol.

On another note, I really appreciate those of you who suggested possible locations for the sequel. (yes there will be one. The first chapter is already done; a draft is somewhere on my blog.)

Happy reading everyone!

*************************

Josephine smiled upon hearing Draven's thoughts. Never in her life would she have imagined her baby wanting her to stay.

"Everything alright in there?" asked Alaron, trying to peek through the doorway but Josephine blocked him. Amber was naked and she knew the two of them needed their privacy.

"Yes it is. Fiona dear, why don't you get something for Amber to wear? We'll meet you three downstairs in a while. Your husband's coming home isn't he?"

Fiona flushed guiltily before hurrying towards her own room to get some clothes.

"Guess that just leaves you and me Sweetie," said Josephine, smiling at Alaron.

Alaron was staring at her suspiciously. "Why do I feel like a trapped rat? I fell for the moldy cheese. Damn."

"Language," she said, waving a finger absently.

A while later, Alaron found himself alone in the living room with Josephine. She intimidated him but he was also intrigued by her.

"I can collapse time," she said softly, watching his eyes widen in surprise.

"Like... stop time?"

"Well, not to that extent. But I have a certain degree of foresight and hindsight. It's hard to tell sometimes when it doesn't concern me."

Alaron frowned. Why was she telling him all this?

"Did you see something about me? Is that why you've pulled me aside?"

Josephine shook her head; much to his disappointment.

"I had always assumed that your brother got his abilities from me. It's always the case with our race; at least one parent needs to have the gene for expressing abilities or the child doesn't inherit them. But Fiona has them and she's Sired by you." Josephine paused to let the words sink.

"But my mother is human..." said Alaron slowly. "Are you saying Father..."

"Yes, and that means you should express something too although you are still considered young. Some Vampires don't express any powers until they reach a century old."

"But Fiona did... although I accidentally pushed her limits."

This time, Josephine raised her eyebrows in surprise. "What do you mean?"

"Err... Draven and I have been working on this blood pill for the American Council and I sorta fiddled with it..." he flashed her a guilty look. "I managed to isolate a strain of protein to enable her to mate with a Were... but of course it wasn't tested yet and the side effect was a premature unleashing of her powers."

"Very impressive. This science thing makes my head spin!" laughed Josephine. Taking Alaron's palms she patted it and smiled. "I think it is natural for you and your brother to have this obsession with science. It could be related to your individual abilities. He can read minds, Fiona can control minds. Take Fiona's abilities for example; neurons and what not... don't you think if she can 'see' it, so can you? You did provide her the blood."

Alaron could see where this is going.

"So you're saying that I might have something that may heal Amber's mind?" he was hopeful but he shook his head. "But... that'd take years to perfect. Even if I do have it, it's still dormant."

Josephine smiled. "I know baby... but that's only because you didn't have the right trainer. Your brother took a long time to discover his own powers and an even longer time to get it under control because your father didn't help him with it."

"But he helped Fiona..."

"What?" Josephine was truly shocked. "He helped her control her powers?"

"Umm... yeah. They had some sparing session with it. I'm not quite sure what he taught her but soon after that she managed to gain some control."

Josephine frowned at his answer. Why didn't Aramis help Draven? Or was her son just too stubborn to ask for help?

"I'll help you."

"Why?"

"Because I want my babies to be happy. And right now I still see that image of Draven crying and I really don't want that."

Alaron didn't want that either. He had seen Draven cry and he wanted to help... with his abilities or not.

"When do you want to teach me?"

"As soon as possible... but not tonight my dear. I can sense the Alpha wolf returning and he is not happy. I need my energies for his welcome."

"He has a soft spot for women. You'll be fine," said Alaron with a smile.

As though on cue, the front door opened and there stood a very virile and territorial man; his eyes more wolf than man.

"Explain." His voice was calm but leashed with fury.

"Eian?" Fiona's gentle voice was like a balm to his anger. The soft padded soles of her slippers flapped as she hurried down the stairs into his arms.

"Are you alright? Is the baby..."

"Yes, everything's fine... more than fine actually," she said, letting him nuzzle against her neck; no doubt trying to sniff for her and the baby's heartbeat. "Amber's upstairs with Draven... and she seems well. She's safe for now Eian, stop growling!"

"I have strangers in my home," he growled. "I don't mean you Alaron although sometimes..."

A slap on his chest stopped him midsentence. "Don't be rude. Eian sweetheart, this is..." Fiona paused, unsure for a minute then, "My grandmother."

"Dame Josephine Draefend," she introduced, lowering herself into a curtsey, "Your Grace..."

Eian stopped growling; his eyes returning to the striking green that was his own.

"You look different now Josephine," he replied, bowing his head slightly to acknowledge her.

Everything in the room fell silent then Fiona exploded.

"What! You two know each other? And yet you act so uncivilized?" she snarled at Eian. "That is so rude!" she continued, punctuating every word with a playful slap on his chest.

"I was young and pregnant then. Of course I looked different," said Josephine. "Time changes people." She meant him of course. When Eian first came to Culzean's castle, he had been a young warrior; cold and without mercy. She didn't blame him for war was a constant during the medieval times. Now look at him --older, wiser, mated and a father to be. The last bit certainly put a damper on his cold, unyielding personality. Josephine could almost see him going all soft and pliable to the woman in his arms.

"Since my mate has accepted you into the family, then I shall extend a welcome for you," he said --although he didn't trust her yet. "And you saved one of my pack and brought her here safely, so the debt on your life is paid."

"Eian," hissed Fiona. "Don't threaten her like that!"

Josephine merely laughed. "It's the way of the pack sweetheart. I entered pack lands without permission. I ought to be dead by now. But he's right. I brought Amber here, with some help of course, and so I'm spared."

A shuffling sound at the top of the stairs took their attention. Draven was coming down with Amber in his arms but his eyes solely on Eian. However his Alpha held no contempt in his gaze; only a quiet understanding as he watched the way Amber curled herself around Draven. They were mates and he should never have separated them.

Eian drew his gaze from Draven to his mother and was surprised to find love in her eyes. He had always thought of Josephine as someone cruel and heartless, but the woman in front of him was clearly misunderstood. He'll find out the truth later.

Right now, she had returned Amber safely to the pack and clearly had no objection to her son mating with a Werewolf. That earned her a few more respect points.

"I'll have a segment of the compound set aside for you to build a home." It wasn't an order but an acceptance of this Vampire into the pack.

"Yes. Thank you," whispered Draven. "I apologize for intruding on your private space for tonight."

"No, don't say that," said Fiona. "You're family... and now you're Pack too."

Alaron let out a mock cough. "I feel so left out. Guess that's our cue to leave," he winked at Josephine and made her laugh.

"Yes, everything seems to be in order. Keiran, I will try and find a way to help you heal her but for now, keep her safe... for my baby."

"On one condition..."

Everyone became silent; all eyes on Eian alone. "Will you... keep an eye out for Fiona as well?"

Josephine nodded. She didn't need to have a strong sense of smell to scent the young brewing inside Fiona's body.

"She's mine as much as she is yours," she said kindly then laughed. "Alright now, I have to return to fix things up with the old bat. I hope you've drawn enough blood for him not to scowl at me."

"Oh!" Eian totally had forgotten about that. "I should recall my wolves back then... We were intending to merely pay a call."

"I'm sure of that," said Josephine with a knowing smile. "Come Alaron. We'd best leave."

***

The drive back to Culzean Castle was long mostly because Alaron was tired.

"I don't really need you to drive me all the way up Sweetie... plus I think the castle's not going to be a conducive place to rest tonight. I am almost positive that your father and I will go at each others' throats the second we see each other."

"You make it sound like you're going for war," he mused, feeling the tiredness seeping in more and more.

"Well, it is... I'm not the young woman anymore who was bullied into abandoning her baby. I'm not leaving Draven ever and I'll go to war with your father if I have to."

Alaron laughed. "I like you."

Josephine smiled. "Thank you. I like you too."

Alaron flashed her a boyish grin. "I do have a place in mind... but I think I should drive you home first."

"No. You're tired. You might end up killing us both. I'll drive up on my own."

"You can drive?"

She laughed. "Of course. Now scoot over and tell me where to go."

An hour later, they were outside Erika's loft.

"A human?" Josephine raised her eyebrows. Alaron grinned; too tired to reply. "Okay my baby, we'll talk about this later if you want. Have a good rest."

Alaron stood outside the car, looking at Josephine with calm, unguarded eyes. Then he leaned down and kissed her cheeks.

"Thank you..." he whispered then he was gone.

Josephine touched her cheek gently and felt the first measure of control breaking away. Life was funny, she thought. She lost a child so many years ago because of her fear and stupidity... and now, fate not only returned her baby, but had given her two more...

That is worth fighting for isn't it?

***

Josephine caught the slight scent of wolves as she entered the castle grounds. She needn't bother with the guards since she was entering through the secret passage that she had discovered during her stay in Culzean Castle.

She wasn't sure where Aramis would be so she followed her instincts and walked down the quiet corridors towards his study. He enjoyed brooding there and she was sure that was what he was doing right now.

And she was right.

"Happy are you?" he said to her the moment she stepped out of the darkness. Josephine didn't flinch at the tone of his voice. Apparently he was expecting her to return. "Where are my children?"

She let out a peal of laughter. Aramis didn't find their situation amusing.

"How's that feel?" she retorted once she calmed down. "To have your children taken away from you like that?"

"I'm warning you, Josephine," he countered, leaning forward in his armchair and staring at her angrily. She merely shrugged and crossed over to where he was; her eyes taking note of the portraits hung over the walls.

It hurt. It hurt not to see herself in any of them.

The one sole picture of a dark haired woman caught her eye, drawing an unconscious growl from deep within her throat.

"I'm waiting Josephine..." Aramis's tone was growing impatient.

"A little bit of waiting won't hurt you," she said in an icy tone. "Look what five hundred years of waiting did for me."

Aramis didn't appreciate her sarcasm but he didn't approve of the hurt in her voice either.

"You're still hurting," he said softly. "Why?"

She didn't reply him but continued staring at the portrait. She had seen this... human and she knew that things happened for a reason. If she had been just a little bit braver, a little more wise, then Alaron and Fiona would never have existed... and she wouldn't have come to know them.

"Josephine..." there was no warning in his voice but a gentleness that she wasn't sure she liked.

"What?" she snapped then moved away from him. "How old is Alaron?"

Aramis felt his lips curved involuntarily. "You're not asking what you want to ask."

She shot him an ice cold look. "You don't read minds... do you?"

"No. But I know."

Josephine gave a huff and decided to hell with pride. She was over five centuries old. "When did you meet your human wife?"

"Is that... envy I scent on you Josephine?"

"Answer the damn question."

He laughed but made no move towards her. "Language, language..." he shook a finger at her. "Well, she died six years ago. Alaron is thirty-one now... so do your math. Humans don't live as long as us."

Josephine frowned. "You didn't turn her? Why?"

"She didn't want to."

Silence.

"I'm sorry for your loss..."

"No you're not."

"No... because it's nothing compared to losing my baby. Death has finality but knowing the one you love is still there, keeping up with his development... that's true loss."

"Why'd you come back Josephine?"

"You made my baby cry Aramis! My baby never cried!"

"He's not your baby... anymore."

Her eyes narrowed angrily. "He'll always be."

"Then why'd you give him up so easily?"

That was obviously the wrong thing to say for she charged at him with her nails out and fangs at kill point. But he was ready.

To an untrained eye, it would seem like the room was empty except for the sudden crack on the walls and the sudden broken furniture.

A loud snarl at one corner then a female gasp in the other but it was like the sounds were made by ghosts for they were moving so fast that it was impossible to see them.

"You swine!" she swore, scrapping her sharp nails against his dress shirt, drawing blood. He didn't answer her of course and instead collided with her head on; using her own force of energy to throw her crashing backwards against the wall.

She was panting; her eyes reflecting the dark red of her dress, which was now tattered and torn. The lovely coiffeur she had earlier was now tumbling in a mess down the side of her neck.

"I detest being compared to an animal... much less one that is served on human tables."

"And yet you let your offspring mate to them. You're such a hypocrite!" she shrieked, trying to get up.

"Don't move much. You've twisted your ankle." He came closer to try and straighten it out but she kicked his chest instead, sending him reeling back on his ass.

"Argh!" he shouted, getting to his feet and marching towards her. "You're beyond my patience woman!" the words came out almost a roar as he took a fistful of her hair and pulled her up brutally against him. "Yield!" he snarled before crushing vicious, hungered lips against hers.

She struggled and tried to claw him but he didn't release his grip on her. The more she tried to break free, the harder he pressed her body against his, demanding her surrender.

And she did... except that it wasn't what he wanted --her body went totally limp and it took him a few seconds to realize that she was crying. Pulling his lips away, he desperately wiped her tears then held her close as gently as he could.

"I'm sorry... I'm so sorry Josephine. Shh..." the hand that had held her hair unfurled to caress her head lovingly. She didn't stop crying but rested her forehead against his chest and poured out centuries of pent up tears. Aramis could feel her tears soaking his shirt but he let her. He could feel every ounce of her self restraint breaking down as she cried more and more; the anger and sadness slowly leaving her body...

"Why didn't you love me back Aramis..." she sobbed.

"Shh..." he said, rubbing his hand up and down her back, feeling her burying her face harder against his chest. "I'm sorry for hurting you Josephine. I truly am... I waited century after century for you to come back but you didn't. And... I thought perhaps I had read you wrong."

She immediately stiffened. "What do you mean read me wrong?"

He smiled and pressed a kiss on her forehead. "I can... feel others' emotions. It's not a very macho ability so I suppressed it all my life."

Josephine's eyes widened at his admission. No wonder he didn't train Draven... or Alaron for that matter. Training another to awaken and control their abilities required some form of unleashing of their own capacities; to 'stroke' and entice the youngling's powers. Fiona's powers were unstable and a threat so Aramis had no choice back then but to teach her control. Maybe that's what made him so sentimental all of a sudden.

"So you... sensed my feelings?"

"I thought I did... but I was wrong. You left."

She closed her eyes. "I had my first vision that night... but I had no idea that it was the future. All I saw was you and that woman," she pointed to the portrait. "You were happy... in love. And she was holding a baby. Not my baby but another baby." "It broke your heart..."

"Yes..."

"Why didn't you tell me Josephine? You lied to me."

She didn't lie... she just told him half truths...

"I said I saw you with another baby... which is not lying."

"I thought you meant our second child."

She kept silent; suddenly unsure of what to make of his response. He had told her to wait and left her alone... in the dark where the visions/nightmare might return. Damn him!

"I went to check on the baby. I felt the fear in your voice Josephine... and my first instinct told me to check if the baby was safe. Your premonition could have meant anything... and you know that we were under constant threat of war. They could have taken Draven that's why you suddenly had a vision of another baby. Anything could have happened."

She narrowed her eyes at him, unsure whether to believe him. After he left her, the first thing she did was to search for her baby... only to find that his cot was empty. She almost went berserk looking for him and was told by one of the guards that Aramis had taken the baby out not too long ago. She had never felt so alone and discarded in her life before. So she left.

"Then why did you make me sign that damn contract?" she wanted to scream.

At first he didn't say anything; his fingers trying to work on the zipper at the back of her dress. She froze.

"Forgotten my touch?" he asked with a cunning smile.

She gritted her teeth. "Answer the question or I swear I'll kick you again."

Her reply made him laugh thunderously. "God! I swear that this attraction for stubborn women is hereditary!"

Josephine bit his shoulder.

"Ouch... okay I'll answer!" he rubbed his shoulder. "I was hurt Josephine... truly truly hurt and embarrassed as hell. I was a warlord at that time and my own wife ran out on me. What do you think the other families were thinking? I could feel their pity. I know they thought you found another lover and abandoned us... and I chose to believe them... because you did run away from me."

"Why those goddamn rumour mongers!"

"I knew they were just gossip of course... I had seen the way your eyes gleamed with love at the sight of the baby but I didn't want to risk being hurt again. So... I protected myself in the only way I knew."

ArtForm
ArtForm
1,148 Followers