It’s Only Rock and Roll

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"We want children...probably not for the next couple of years but then, yes---without question."

"Well, you have my blessing. Usually that's the tough part---you said there was something else?"

"Have you got your ear buds with you?"

"Never leave home without 'em."

"Why don't you try my Nano™ for a second; this is a new song---hasn't been released yet---it's by the band we were just talking about. Their first song with their female guitarist as the lead singer. Work with me, here, Ed. Let me know what you think...particularly the female vocal. It's already keyed up."

Ed started listening to the music; he smiled. At around forty-five seconds, the recognition hit him. He turned to Morris, a look of disbelief on his face. He looked down at the screen. He looked up at Morris. He grinned. He closed his eyes and listened to the rest of the song. He removed the ear buds. Tears welled up in his eyes. He looked back at Morris.

"That's my baby girl! That's her singing voice...I'd know it anywhere."

"That it is."

"Son of a bitch!"

"Ed, we both quit our day jobs several months ago. We've been on tour, done some late night, this and that. It's about to blow wide open. Let me bring you up to speed in short order and then we can talk about the future."

Morris briefly reviewed the saga of what had become Nation and how his daughter became a part of it. They got back to the house just as Kate had apparently handed her mother the proof of the magazine spread. Morris retrieved the second copy and handed it to Ed. The two parents became absorbed in reading for several minutes.

"Well, I'll be damned," her mother intoned. "Ed, did you know about this?"

"Not until about two minutes ago."

"And?"

"Pretty neat, don't you think? Our daughter plays rock and roll...she's a rock star!"

"Not quite a star yet, daddy...but we're good...we've got good people...we're going to make it...make it big."

"Would you like to see the video?"

"Absolutely!" both parents said in unison.

"Morris! You didn't bring that with you---did you?"

"Never leave home without it."

Ed quickly grabbed it from Morris' hand and slipped it into the DVD player.

Her mother provided a little commentary.

"How do you fit in that outfit honey? Wow---great riff! You two are hot together on stage! The drummer is really cute!" And so on. When the video ended, both of Kate's parents jumped up and hugged her.

"We always knew you had talent even back in high school, honey. We just wanted you to have options...choices...an education to fall back on. We couldn't be more proud."

"Well, that was easier than we thought it would be!" Morris exclaimed. "Unfortunately, I don't recall my folks being hard rock fans, although my dad once was pretty crazy about the Doors. I'm still without a plan when we get to my home."

***

The good news was that Morris' parents instantly fell in love with Kate; she was everything they could have wished for in a future daughter-in-law and they were thrilled at the prospect of pending nuptials. As the four of them settled on a porch not that unlike the one at Kate's parents' home, Morris' dad cut to the chase as was his nature.

"Son, you indicated that you had a couple of things to chat about---not that I can imagine anything could be as big---or as exciting---as your engagement, so what else is on your mind?"

"I've taken a leave of absence from my CPA job and I...oh, hell! Maybe you might want to flip through this," Morris said, handing his parents copies of the magazines they had brought with them.

Both parents read through the article and perused the pictures in silence for several minutes. They looked at each other several times. If they were surprised or shocked, it hardly showed on their faces.

"Son," Morris's dad spoke first. "Are you folks as good as this writer seems to think you are?"

"Yeah, dad...we are...better."

"Have you got a good contract?"

"If we sell music the way everyone believes we will---damn good."

"Are you having fun?" his mother inquired.

"It's a lot of work but at the end of the day...yes, when we play, it doesn't get any better."

"And the two of you get to be together...travel together...work together. That's very special," his mother said.

"And you've always got your educations to fall back on---both of you---if things don't work out," his father added.

"That's very true."

"Well, damn! Congratulations again! It's not often that someone gets to chase their dream---and catch it. I always knew you loved your music, son. I never wanted to dampen your spirits in that direction---I just wanted you to have options and know what you were getting into, which you obviously do. God bless you," his father intoned.

"That was easier than I thought it would be," Morris said.

"Hell, son, last time I checked, you're an adult and have a right to steer your life in the direction you want it to go. It'll take a little getting used to saying, 'my son's a rock star' but in reality, in our book, you always were even when you were a CPA. We've always been proud of you and never more than at this moment."

There wasn't a dry eye in the group. Another major hurdle that turned out to be not so major after all.

Nation did in fact become the second coming in rock and roll. After a half a dozen years at the top, they retired, moved back to that Midwestern college town and built somewhat bigger houses. As so often happens in the music industry, their retirement turned into little more than a brief hiatus. All of the band got married and stated families. After a suitable interval they came out of retirement and owned the charts again. Not wanting to follow in the footsteps of their predecessors who had become almost jokes performing well into their sixties, Nation was formally retired as each of the members reached their forties.

Molly sold Rod down the river and dumped him. Rod was fortunate to receive a suspended sentence and three years probation. He is currently an independent tee shirt vendor at rock concerts who has gotten in trouble on more than one occasion for trademark and copyright violations. Molly threatened a sexual discrimination suit and received a substantial out-of-court settlement from the company. She blew through that pretty quickly and currently works as a waitress at a wing joint.

Kate and Morris had two children, a boy and a girl neither of whom seemed terribly interested in music as a career. Their daughter went on to become a lawyer and their son a CPA. While not musically inclined, both work in the music industry and are highly respected and sought after.

No one can keep coming up with good songs forever; Nation was fortunate to have retired before they ever began to suck. Then again, their adoring fans await the release of their latest album, ten years after their retirement. It's seems there were some tapes of jam sessions that had been misplaced over the years which included several unreleased songs. Pre-sales on Amazon ensure that it will be platinum the day it is released.

They're all still very good friends and neighbors. They still get together regularly in the old barn to jam. Sometimes they even talk about coming out of retirement but, as they look around at their respective families they quickly dismiss the thought. There are some things in life more important than rock and roll...but not many.

Edited by Techsan