Joy, Pain, and All Between Ch. 10

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"I don't know, Lace. I don't feel like thinking" she said rubbing her temples. This was not the way she had expected her day to go. "I'm going to bed."

****::::::::****:::::::::****

Christmas had officially broke Skyler. Buying gifts for everyone always seemed to burn a hole in her wallet. It was okay though. Christmas is the time for giving, and being around the ones you love, at whatever cost.

She stayed with her mom on Christmas Eve and some of Christmas Day. They were really working on making their relationship better. As a Christmas present, Skyler made her mother a picture. It was one that was taken a long time ago when Skyler was young, of her and her mother. She even had it framed.

"I know it's kinda corny, but…"

"My goodness, Skyler. I didn't know you still drew. This is beautiful, baby."

"Thanks, Mama. I just started recently. Helps relieve tension and stuff."

"I love it, Skyler. And I love you. Thank you. I'm gonna hang it in the living room." Skyler smiled brightly. "And there's a little something under the tree for you." Skyler spun on her heels and saw a box peeking at her. She ran over to the tree to retrieve it, before tearing into it like a little kid.

"A coat! Thank you, Mama!" Skyler shrieked.

"Yes. A coat" her mother chuckled. "I got tired of seeing you wear that old black one all the time. That one will keep you nice and warm during the winter." She wasn't sure if Skyler was listening or not, because she was too busy ripping off the stickers and tags, and trying on her new yellow coat. Mom's always know best.

****::::::::****:::::::::****

Melanie and Skyler's father greeted her when she showed up Christmas afternoon.

"Merry Christmas, guys" she cheered, smiling brightly while wearing a red and white Santa hat. When Aubrey and Ana saw her in the doorway, they instantly ran up to her and squeezed tightly.

"Merry Christmas, Skyler" they shouted while mumbling something about where were their presents. She was ushered inside and handed out gifts. Some recipients were much more eager than others.

She watched as her family eagerly unwrapped their presents. Ana ripped into the large, pink Barbie box to get to the My Size Barbie Skyler had bought her. Aubrey set into the Tonka trucks she got from Toys R Us. She'd gotten a tool set for her dad, and a nice pair of shoes for Melanie.

"Thank you, Skyler!!" her brother and sister screamed in unison, never taking their twinkling eyes from their presents.

"Thank you, baby."

"You're welcome, Daddy." Melanie walked over and embraced Skyler in a warm, loving hug.

"Are you hungry?"

"Oh, no. I'm kinda stuffed. I ate at mom's. Thanks though."

The rest of the day went by quickly. She was happy and cheery. She exchanged gifts with Lacey, her mom, dad, Melanie, and the kids. They all loved their gifts. She just had one last stop to make in the morning. She hoped they'd like their gifts.

The next morning, Skyler settled on wearing a red sweater, jeans, and warm, fuzzy boots. She hugged and kissed her family goodbye, and promised to come back soon. She grabbed the last large Christmas bag, before heading out into the cold, crisp winter air.

****::::::::****:::::::::****

Joel sat in the living room with his family the day after Christmas. He'd apologized to everyone, including Thomas. James was right, Thomas was okay. He saw his mom's face light up when he'd engaged in a wholesome conversation with Thomas. He wanted his mother to be happy. She deserved it.

Savannah and James played with the Wii their mother and Thomas had got her for Christmas. Autumn and his mother were in the kitchen, and Thomas asked a million and one questions while he watched Savannah and James playing Wii tennis. The doorbell rang and dropped the controller, and took off around the corner for the door.

"It might be Dani coming over to play!" Just what Joel needed, another screaming teenager around. Dani was one of Savannah's best friends she'd invited over, who was equally annoying.

"Hey Savannah. Merry late Christmas" he faintly heard a female voice say. "This…is for you."

"Oh thank you!" Savannah ran back into the living room to open the festively wrapped gift. Mom, look. Look what S--" she said running into the kitchen as the door shut behind her.

"Who's at the door, Jerry?" Joel asked, suddenly interested. He didn't hear who Savannah said it was because she ran into the kitchen.

"Me" the voice said walking in. " Merry Christmas."

12