Just a Date

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
DG Hear
DG Hear
5,712 Followers

"I went to Ohio State and my boyfriend worked in his parents' grocery store. Mark joined the National Guard as well. We had been together since high school. In my junior year of college we decided to get married. We could live cheaper together and we really wanted to be together.

"I got pregnant but went ahead and finished college. I missed one quarter to stay home with the baby before finishing. I got a part-time job at a local bank to help with the finances. Shortly before Amy, that's my daughter, turned two Mark was called up to go overseas.

"I was both worried and scared but he told me everything would be all right. He was killed three months later." Laura had tears in her eyes and I held her hands. It was just the natural thing to do.

"You don't have to say any more. I shouldn't have asked," I said.

"It's ok, I'm getting better but it is a sad memory. I got on full time at the bank and took care of my little girl. It was tough but I have good family members around me to help me out. I began looking for a position that would pay more money. That's when Lily told me about the opening at your plant."

"So you knew Lily before working for us?" I asked.

"Of course, silly, she's my aunt. I thought you knew that."

"No, I didn't but I'm happy she told you about the position." That also answered a few questions I had how Lily knew so much about Laura.

"Anyway, I had a local interview and then was asked if I could go to Michigan and interview with the head of human resources. I met your sister and brother. It was your sister Nina who offered me the job. I think my Aunt Lily had something to do with it."

"I wonder why Nina never mentioned it to me at Thanksgiving?" I asked.

"She did tell me to say hello to you when I met you, but that wasn't until yesterday. So, hello from Nina." Laura gave me that beautiful smile with her dimples showing. Damn, what a beautiful woman.

I knew my brother was a big flirt and wondered what he might have said to her. "How did you meet my brother Bob?"

"He was introduced to us. There were a number of new employees going through the introduction process learning about the business and what's expected of us. He was explaining the marketing part of the business to us but kept looking at me; at least it felt that way. I have to say he was quite a flirt but I mentioned to him that there was a rumor that he was getting married. I think it caught him by surprise and he didn't bother me much afterwards."

Our food came and we enjoyed our lunch. Afterwards we talked about the Adams account. I wanted to know more about Laura.

****

Back at work Lily was smiling at me. "So, what do you think of Laura?"

"Why didn't you tell me she was your niece?"

"I wanted you to see her objectively. She's a wonderful woman and her daughter is the cutest thing this side of heaven. You need to be with a strong willed woman and she needs to get on with her life."

I knew Lily was right. I really enjoyed talking and having lunch with Laura. Tomorrow I would be taking her to dinner. I was happy I had a reason to see her again.

When I picked her up the next evening she looked gorgeous. Dressed in a blue dress, her red hair was down to shoulder length. She smiled, showing her beautiful dimples, when she answered the door.

"Dan, this is my mother Helen, and this little girl is my pride and joy, Amy."

Laura's mom had red hair and so did little Amy. She was one cute little girl. As she walked up to me to say hi, I stooped down to say hello and she hugged me. She backed away and smiled at me. I couldn't help but give her a light kiss on the cheek. I honestly don't know what made me do it.

"Are you gonna come see us again?" asked Amy.

"I'd like to. I'll talk to your mommy about it." I stood up and told Helen it was nice meeting her, and helped Laura on with her coat.

She grabbed her folder to show the Adams's, and we left for the restaurant. Henry and Mary were already seated when we arrived. I introduced Laura and we all sat down. Henry said he took the liberty to order a bottle of wine and thought we could discuss business before dinner.

I mentioned that Laura was our new Assistant Manager in shipping and would be handling his account. She explained the new procedures she helped institute for better on time delivery. Both Henry and Mary were impressed with Laura. Needless to say, so was I.

Mary wasn't saying a lot but was watching Laura. When Laura was finished Mary said, "She is not only stunningly beautiful but very smart and articulate as well." I think Laura felt a bit embarrassed but proud as well.

"Thank you, I'll do everything I can to see that you get your deliveries on time. Harold and I have worked on these changes and are quite sure they solve our delivery problems."

"Well, thank you, young lady. I do feel much better after talking with you. Dan, I think everything will be ok. Now let's enjoy dinner," replied Henry.

As we ate dinner Mary noticed the wedding ring on Laura. "Are you married, Laura?" asked Mary.

Laura looked over at me. "Mary, Laura's husband was killed in Afghanistan last year. It's something she would prefer not to talk about I'm sure."

"God, Honey, I'm so sorry to have brought it up," replied Mary.

"It's ok, I'm working on getting on with my life. I do have an adorable three year old daughter; we're doing fine," said Laura.

Henry spoke up. "Why don't we go into the lounge and enjoy a little music?"

We all headed into the lounge and sat near the dance floor. After a couple of numbers Harold asked Mary to dance. I looked at Laura and asked her if she might like to dance also. She took my hand and we began dancing.

She smelled so good and was so light on her feet. I wanted to just put my arms around her and hug her but was trying to honor my promises. Damn it was hard. Could it even be possible to start falling for someone that quickly and easily? By the third song I was holding her closer. At least she wasn't complaining.

Afterwards, we all sat down and Harold said they had to be going. Laura said that we did too, we had to work the next day. Mary told Laura how nice it was to meet her and maybe we could all go out again sometime when it wasn't about business. Laura smiled at her and said how nice it was meeting both of them.

I walked Laura to her door. I thanked her for a wonderful evening and helped saving a good account. I was squeezing her hands at the time. She looked down at our hands and I could see the smile and dimples. It's when I remembered telling her I wouldn't touch her and I danced with her and now was holding her hands. I didn't apologize and I didn't think she wanted one.

****

I couldn't sleep that night. Thinking of Laura kept me awake. Why did she affect me so? I've dated women and bedded down most of them for years but none ever made me feel this insecure about myself.

The next day, I wanted to see her but felt I needed an excuse. Lily saw that I was uncomfortable and asked me what the problem was. I told her I would like to see Laura but didn't feel right just going to the shipping office. Everyone would wonder what I was doing there. I hardly ever went there, but I was there just two days ago to take Laura to lunch.

Lily laughed at me. "Dan she's getting to you, isn't she? I never saw you having a problem with women before. I've got a solution for you."

I did what Lily suggested and went and bought three dozen donuts and took them to the shipping department. I walked into Harold's office. Of course I walked by Laura's office, and she looked up at me. I did say 'Good Morning' to her. I handed the donuts to Harold and told him it was for the shipping department and for the good job they have been doing lately.

I let him know that Laura's talk with the Adams account went well and they signed a new three-year contract with us. Harold took the donuts out to his department's people, and explained why I brought them donuts. I even had their coffee vending machine put on free vend till lunch. I knew it would cost me a few bucks but it was worth it.

Everyone got their coffee and donuts. They thanked both Harold and Laura. I got a cup of coffee and a donut and sat down at Laura's desk. "Would you go to lunch with me today?" I asked.

"Is this business or a lunch date?" asked Laura.

"Whatever it takes for you to say yes."

"The rumor mill says you don't date employees. What am I to tell people?" asked Laura, but she was smiling.

"Tell them the truth. I'm making an exception. There is something I want to ask you but here at work isn't the place to talk about it."

"Ok Dan, we can do lunch. I need to hear what this is that you have to ask me. Only I'll meet you in your office. I don't want the rumors flying around in the shipping area."

We went to the restaurant and ordered lunch. "OK, what is this you need to ask me?" asked Laura.

"Well, you know my brother's getting married in February. I told my family I would bring a date. I want you to be that woman."

"Dan, I like you, but you hardly know me. I don't think so; as you know I haven't dated for a year."

"Let me explain. I've never brought a woman home to meet my parents. They asked me if I dated the wrong kind of women or was I ashamed of them, meaning my parents. The truth is I haven't met that woman yet that I would consider a long-term relationship with. I know they would love you and hopefully leave me alone."

"Wait a minute! You want me to go to your brother's wedding so I can meet your parents and you want me to act like I'm your girlfriend so they don't bother you about girlfriends? Dan, I'm disappointed in you. I thought you were a much better man than that."

"Wait! Please! I must have not said it right. Look, my parents and family are always asking me why I don't bring women home for them to meet. My brother Bob always brought his dates home for my parents to meet. I never felt that close to the women I've dated.

"I'm not out to play a trick on my parents. I know we don't know each other that well but I feel comfortable with you. I was hoping maybe, just maybe, we could start dating. If you think we are good together and you feel comfortable around me, maybe you can be my wedding date. It gives us three months to get to know each other better. What do you say?"

Laura stared at me for what seemed minutes but was probably only a few seconds.

"I'll make you a deal. As you know my parents and my Aunt Lily are worried about me not getting back into the real world. They're worried about me and Amy. If you are willing to come and meet the rest of my family, I'll go to your brother's wedding with you.

"I don't want to push the relationship but we'll take it as it comes. It has to be real. I'm not putting on an act for anyone. Christmas is in two weeks and I know you go home for Christmas. So, we'll have to work around it and try and see each other a couple of times. Is it a deal?"

We shook hands on it. I held her hand longer than I needed to. I wasn't totally sure what I was getting myself into but being with her made me feel good.

When we got back to the office I told Lily and she seemed happy. She did remind me that Laura was her niece and she did want the best for her. "Give her time, Dan, I love her and she means the world to me. I trust you to treat her right."

"Lily, you have my solemn promise that I'll never treat her bad. Is it at all possible to have feelings for someone you just met a couple of days ago?"

Lily smiled. "It is if that person is Laura."

I didn't sleep well again that night. Why was I all worked up about a woman I hardly knew? Around noon on Saturday I went to her house without calling first. I just wanted to see her.

"Dan! What are you doing here?"

"I didn't sleep well and wanted to see you. Can we do something together today? Anything is all right with me."

"Come in, the house is a mess and so am I. You should have called first. Please do that in the future." She was scolding me but I rather liked it and of course she was right.

I sat down on the couch, and Laura offered me a cup of coffee. Amy came up to me and climbed up on my lap. "Hi, I knew you'd come back. Do you want to see Santa with me and mommy today?"

"I'd love to and we could go to McDonald's for lunch too. What else were you going to do today?"

"Shopping. Mommy has more presents to buy. Do you like to go shopping?"

I hated shopping but I wasn't about to tell Amy that. "Let's just say I go when I have to. Maybe we can buy your mom a gift. Did you get her anything yet?"

She climbed up and whispered in my ear that she drew her some pictures in day care. Her grandmother watched her most of the time but twice a week she went to pre-school to be around other kids.

Laura came back with my coffee and sat in the chair across from me. Amy got down and ran and got her coloring book and came back and got on the couch and started coloring.

"Ok Dan, what brought this on? Why are you here?"

"I wanted to see you and was afraid if I called you would have said no. I'm following my gut here. I know I hardly know you but I figured I give it a chance. God you're so beautiful," I blurted out.

"Dan, I look like a cleaning woman who just got out of bed." She did smile though.

"I guess you are one of those women who have natural beauty. So are we going to go see Santa today?"

"Are you sure about this Dan? Let me get myself and Amy ready. You can sit there and draw pictures or something till we're ready."

While they were getting ready, I got up and did the few breakfast dishes that were in the sink. Her small house was clean so I poured another cup of coffee and waited. Laura was surprised I did her dishes.

We got into my car and went to the mall. It was fun watching little Amy with Santa. She told us she asked Santa for a puppy for Christmas and Laura kind of shook her head. She wasn't sure she wanted a pet in the house.

We went shopping and I helped Laura out, mainly by taking care of Amy. We went and looked at the toys and we went over to the perfumes. "That's the kind that Mommy uses," said Amy.

"Do you want to get it for her?" I asked.

"I don't have any money. My piggy bank is at home."

"I'll tell you what. You and I are friends so I'll pay for it and you take it home and wrap it." Amy was so happy and took the biggest combination package there. She had no idea that she just spent a hundred dollars. We went and checked out and had it put in a bag so her mother wouldn't be able to see it.

The minute we got back to Laura, Amy told her she bought her a present but she wasn't allowed to tell her what it was. Laura looked up at me and I told her I promised to keep it a secret.

When we finished shopping, Laura asked Amy if we could go to a restaurant to eat other than McDonald's since I had told her I'd take her there.

"Sure Mom, Dan can take us there next week." I just looked at Laura when she give me the 'What's going on?' look.

We went to an Italian restaurant and afterwards went back to the house. While I was there Laura's mom called and asked where she had gone. She explained that I was there and that we took Amy to see Santa. I talked with Amy while Laura talked with her mom on the phone.

Laura called to me. "Dan, Mom wants to know if you will come to dinner tomorrow? She wants my Dad to meet you."

I knew this was what she was talking about meeting her parents and her getting back into dating. I told her yes, I'd pick her up and she could ride with me to their house. I got kind of a laugh from Laura as she hung up.

"What's so funny?" I asked.

"Mom and Dad live three doors down. I figured we could probably walk there."

It was time for me to go so I picked up Amy and gave her a hug and kiss on the cheek. When I opened the door to leave Amy asked me if I was going to hug and kiss her mommy.

I walked over and gave Laura a hug and a light kiss on the lips. So soft and warm; I knew something was happening to me. The look on Laura's face was one of almost concern. I think we both wondered where this was going.

On Sunday, I stopped at Laura's and we walked together to her parents' house. I couldn't believe how many of her family members were there. I met her father, Roger Mills, her two sisters and their spouses and a brother. Not to mention their rug rats.

They all seemed very nice and asked me about where I went to college and what I did for a living. It was like a third degree. Finally Laura told them that my father was the CEO of Welling Manufacturing and that we both worked at the plant. We were just friends and that Helen invited me over for dinner.

Amy spoke up and said I was her friend too. I picked her up and sat her on my lap. I did notice that Laura was the only one with red hair who took after her mom. Her siblings all had brownish colored hair.

I have to say dinner was great. Helen was quite the cook. It made me wonder if Laura took after her in that department also. There was just so much I didn't know about this woman I was falling for. After saying goodnight to her family we walked back to her house. She put Amy to bed and we just talked.

"Dan, I'm falling for you and it bothers me. I haven't dated anyone other than Mark in so many years. I know I seem strong but inside I'm scared to death. I want to be with you but yet I'm so afraid. Please be honest with me and always tell me the truth."

"I don't know where this is going either. Originally I mentioned to Lily that I wanted to find a date to take to my brother's wedding. The problem was I wanted it to be someone I really cared about. Then, somehow, through Lily, I met you. Now I can't stop thinking about you.

"I want you but yet I don't want to hurt you. I love Amy. I never knew if I really liked kids that much but she is special to me. I would like to make love to you but I know it's way too early in our relationship. I can wait till you're ready. The last thing I want to do is push you in any way. I think I better go home now."

I put on my coat and Laura walked me to the door. I turned to face her and she kissed me. A long soft gentle kiss. When we pulled apart she had tears in her eyes. I wasn't sure what to think. I took her in my arms and held her. I think we both needed that.

The following Monday I called Laura's office and asked her about doing lunch. "Dan, Betty in accounting was asking me about you. She asked me if our lunches were personal or business. She mentioned to me she was always told that you never dated employees."

"So what did you tell her?"

"The truth, that our dinner and luncheon dates were business but I was hoping maybe it could get personal."

"Call her back and tell her I changed my policy and that I will date one employee and that's you. I'll be down to pick you up for lunch."

We ate lunch together all week. On Saturday I stopped by as promised to take Amy to McDonald's. We also took in a kid's holiday movie. I couldn't believe I was having such a good time. Laura and I held hands through most of the movie. Amy sat on my lap and toward the end of the movie fell asleep.

The following weekend was Christmas. Helen asked me over for Christmas dinner, but said she would understand if I was going to Michigan. I made a decision and decided to stay. I called Mom and told her I wouldn't be home this year. I was spending Christmas day and having dinner with a friend.

She asked me who it was and I told her to ask Nina, she hired her. Mom was always worried about grandchildren so I told her Laura's husband had died and Laura had a beautiful red haired three-year-old daughter. I then told her I would see her at New Year's or at the wedding in February.

On Friday before Christmas Laura and I went to find a puppy for Amy. We had checked out a number of places and found the cutest puppy. It was a six-week-old pug. It's as cute or ugly as hell, depending on your view of pugs.

DG Hear
DG Hear
5,712 Followers