All Comments on 'Just Beth'

by Slirpuff

Sort by:
  • 217 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 months ago

A very good story about a very good marriage . Your characters were all very believable well worth the five stars .

GrassIsGreenerGrassIsGreenerabout 2 months ago

My favorite was when Beth brought MacDonald's to Steve's office. That was quite clever.

GrassIsGreenerGrassIsGreenerabout 2 months ago

This was a really good story. Steve and Beth were both very likable characters. Thanks

ViolentKnightViolentKnight2 months ago

5 stars.

This tale didn't turn into her cheating ONLY because she actually paid attention to what her husband said.

Male friends or coworkers/bosses are always looking for any opportunity to get into women's pants. Women in committed relationships are easier targets cause they get bored, frustrated, sad and angry easier. The moment they see the friend or coworker as better than their guy, that's their opening. From there all they have to do is be a good listener, find an opportunity to get you vulnerable/drunk and BAM! They're in.

WoodencavWoodencav3 months ago

A very good LW storey. ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️

AnonymousAnonymous3 months ago

Amazing. An LW story with tension but no cheating. Will wonders never cease?

Oatmeal1969Oatmeal19695 months ago

truthfully, I found it a bit boring. the initial romance was nice though.

pjpbpjpb6 months ago

Well written overall but too long build up.

Trust is used as an ax 'do toy trust me', while love and empathy should be centerpiece is such situations 'would I feel comfortable in similar situation if roles were reversed, with my partner interacting with third party I do not trust' and 'whether he/she is right or wrong about this person/ situations, he/ she is hurt' by them. Except exceptional jealousy that may require counseling, prioritization of relationship welfare over personal assessment would work much better for wife here

AnonymousAnonymous6 months ago

Very common theme; the husband recognizes the predator but the wife does not (or will not). Usually not until it's too late.

I'm not sure that HighBrow knows what 'Femdon Agitprop' actually means?

Thanks for sharing; this was quite a good story. I'm a sucker for a happy ending :)

AllNigherAllNigher7 months ago

I enjoyed this. I see lots of bad comments but honestly this was a refreshing story about two people in a realistic relationship who didn't cheat on each other and found a way to regain their connection.

To the guy who was bitching about women and feminism and marriage not being what it used to be.... I'm sure you can still find a woman who wants to live like it's 1623, but your arguments are ridiculous. My wife is a professional age we respect EACH OTHER ( I know., God forbid a man respect a woman it's supposed to be unidirectional, right). We've been faithful too EACH OTHER as well. Again, not a single edged sword as you probably want it.

What do I get out of marriage? To spend my time and share my life with someone I love, and she gets the same. Either of us could survive great on our own financially. And if I've of us is doing better than the other at some point who cares.

That you effectively want a sex slave and house servant for a wife is telling.

Despite some bad weird choices and a few dialogue oddities I thought it was well written and certainly worth the price! Thanks

AnonymousAnonymous8 months ago

4 Stars as he did better then My Bosses every thought of doing /. They messed with the wrong guy . An ex felon from Folsom who loved his wife.

AnonymousAnonymous8 months ago

WOW what a waste of time, nothing in there as far as life lessons other than feministic propaganda, trying to sell the same bs lies. What did he get for his investment? What investment you self-entitled narcissistic feminists are asking.... lol, his time, his attention, his money, his security, his protection, there is absolutely nothing for a man in a marriage what we did get long ago no longer exists, respect? fidelity? The two main things men marry for, they no longer get and not only do they not get them but women can cheat and disrespect their husbands and get rewarded for it.

AnonymousAnonymous9 months ago

Highbrow, you need a new record. that idiot catchprase of yours is way past it’s use by date.

HighBrowHighBrow9 months ago

This Femdom agitprop was strictly business with no cheating. Much more of a Romance than a Loving Wives, I feel. I didn’t rate it highly.

AnonymousAnonymous10 months ago

@Alberto_MBF

Get over it. This is a site for amatuer authors, giving us their offerings free of charge.

I have seen so much worse on this site and still don't hold it against the author. They are trying, they are being creative, and I, for one, think this story was a nice distraction.

They fought for their marriage, which is so much better than you see in a lot of these stories.

Alberto_MBFAlberto_MBF10 months ago

Did you really just spell faux pas foopa?

miket0422miket042211 months ago

It was nice to see them work through their problems and come out of it stronger than before.

Beth seemed more than a little bit naive. The closest she ever came to figuring out what Carl was up to was "if I didn't know better I would think he was hitting on me". It's probably for the best she started her own business. If she had gone to work for another big company she would have eventually run into another predator and with her inability to recognize the truth of a situation she would have eventually gotten herself into trouble.

dirtyoldbimandirtyoldbiman11 months ago

Very good. Like the bar scene and all the rest, just thought it was 1 or 2 pages too long. Would be fun, now that all their troubles are behind them, to go reenact the bar scene. Maybe even with their girls there to learn how Mom and Dad met.

RWessonRWesson12 months ago

Why does this have a cheating tag? Because of.wild.accusations? While Beth overstepped and over shared with a sexual.predator snake, she didn't cheat.

AnonymousAnonymous12 months ago

I enjoyed this one, actually alot, I had a different ending was coming but I was wrong thank god, the word Snipped came back to me, why would u put that in there for no reason, I thought for sure Carl was gonna bang her get her pregnant and all he'll was gonna break loose

AnonymousAnonymous12 months ago

Great story.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

Excellent story. Prior commenter is on drugs. Beth was NOT in an emotional relationship beyond getting some bad advice and thinking him a friend. Nothing remotely romantic or sexual depsit3 his innuendo and he only started to flirt with her near the end and when the MC turned the tables with roses, cards, and date nights, Carl flipped out trying to rape her and then coerce and harass her. Kudos on her quitting and wanting payback. Husband matured over time. She lost he gullibility. They made through some tough stressors on their marriage. Glad tomsee.itnwork out for them. Both Beth and the MC were creative and complex characters l, both with flaws.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

BITCH BEV ALLOWS HER BOSS TO CALL HER HUSBAND AN ASSHOLE!! THE SKANK WAS ALREADY IN AN EMOTIONAL RELATIONSHIP WITH CARL

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

Well done. MC was at times hard to get behind the first several pages. She was too naive and should have told Carl about her marital issues, but she didn't expect Carl to be a predator. Their marriage was severely tested. They survived. MC began to be more likable when he starts following Jill's advice with the roses and cards. He bridged the gap. Date nights were a good idea. Glad Beth escaped the rape attempt that night. Sad that a woman in that position a cannot really press charges on an attempt since it is hard to prove. Imagine if Carl had succeeded. Would have shattered her. Glad it didn't get that dark. Well written. Complex characters. Husband matured over time. Beth lost her naivete and learned a better work-life.balance. His romantic gestures, grounded her, and after Carl's attempt at sexual assault, she realized what was most important to her.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago
1*

This author's main characters are always fucking pricks. I've no idea why a woman would date that kind of assholes. I had enough of that dude after one page and I don't care to read more.

NitpicNitpicabout 1 year ago
With

With her work load and career minded approach ,how come Beth wasn't a virgin the first time they made love.?

DazzyDDazzyDover 1 year ago

You can compose thousands of words and you cannot spell faux pas. We all make mistakes..

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

The ending was pretty abrupt, don't you think? Two short paragraphs? C'mon man, you can do better than that.

inka2222inka2222over 1 year ago

Most of the story was good, but I really wasn't impressed with how she was letting her boss badmouth her husband. Everything else you can write off on naivety and whatnot, this you can't

LilacQueen15LilacQueen15over 1 year ago

It's Carl's family that suffered from his being fired. Hopefully he still had life insurance for them.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

It was good to see the standard cliches avoided in this story. Refreshing and interesting, good job.

BlackJackSteeleBlackJackSteeleover 1 year ago

Great read.

Well plotted. Well written. Well done.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

I love how maddeningly realistic Slirpuff's characters are! Most characters in LW stories are no more complex than the one-sentence description of their role; the perfect husband, the selfish wife, the slutty friend, so on. In these stories, the characters live! They make mistakes, and defend them. They hold grudges. They make assumptions, then sulk at reality. They waste time being mad about things they can easily change... They're more real, more three dimensional than you expected from a free story on a porn site, and I love it.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

One of your best keep up the good work (jaybee186)

RileyKingRileyKingover 1 year ago

Great story, realistic. Gave it 5 stars. Looong but good

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

A really nice love story. Thanks.

Ed

brian_scoobybrian_scoobyover 1 year ago

Great story! Very realistic… so close to real life. Thoroughly enjoyed reading it. Thank-you

GuyfromShadesGuyfromShadesalmost 2 years ago

Just like a real life story with a happy ending. Enjoyed the read. Thanks for your writing.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

Polygraph is not admissible in court. Period. Still a five.

wish_thinkerwish_thinkeralmost 2 years ago

Thank god she told her husband.

WillowghbyWillowghbyalmost 2 years ago
Even If You Never

...ever read a comment before, go read the 08/13/18 gem left by dunmovyniv. Put THAT in your spellchecker and smoke it, dude.

Slirp, we miss you.

RuttweilerRuttweileralmost 2 years ago
Your characters are rather childish.

At the point of the story where Steve’s really taking stock of his relationship and how they have stopped making love, he starts trying to immediately get physical with her. She unloads on him verbally, accuses him of just being horny and tells him to go jerk off in the bathroom. She immediately tries to apologize, and wants to talk to him. What does he do? He runs away, locks himself in another bedroom, and refuses to speak to her.

Just like a little boy who wants to punish his mother.

Here is his opportunity to open the lines of communication with his wife. She’s feeling apologetic, which is an opportunity for him to plead his case, and get her to recognize that they have to do something to change the way their relationship is working. And what does he do? He decides that because he felt hurt, that now he needs to hurt her back. Like a child thinks.

A grown-up man thinks: “How can I use this moment to make my life better?” But the boy thinks only of his immediate emotional state, angry hurt, and wants to lash out. The boy thinks he needs to make her hurt as bad as he does. The boy thinks that this is a good idea.

A man understands that this will make the situation worse. The little boy doesn’t care, and can think of nothing else but discharging his emotional pain by hurting back.

For some reason a lot of your male protagonists suffer from this selfsame pattern of stunted emotional growth. Is this how you think? Or how you think we think?

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

Now Carl got his just dessert

OlFrog14xOlFrog14xover 2 years ago

Realistic enough to grab my attention when the divide started showing.

@sexecutioner: the husband makes the effort when her odds of getting laid elsewhere are better than his.

NitpicNitpicover 2 years ago
Iffy

When he demands a rise ,because he can get more else where,he gets it.How ever when he is saddled with the advert he does it because he needs the job,what changed.Also sometimes in the story they have to work all sorts of hours,yet later they can take off all the the time they need,both can't apply.

oldmanbill69oldmanbill69almost 3 years ago

Sounds like real life!

secretsalsecretsalalmost 3 years ago

Good story, and it's nice to have a reconciliation that doesn't involve getting over betrayal. Only thing was that Beth had to be made quite dense not to realise what Carl was doing, especially seeing how transparent he was about it. If he had been written a little more subtle, it would have added to the tension.

numbnutz49numbnutz49almost 3 years ago

Another great story from the author but for some reason my mind wandered to an alternate version where the husband and wife go to the meeting with the lawyers only to find videos of Beth and Carl in consensual sex over the past two years. Slirpuff's version is better but I know some of you out there already are drafting your own version.

SexecutionerSexecutionerabout 3 years ago

Another over used concept these writers have is when the marriage is coming undone (from both sides) it's always the husband who has to make the effort. The flowers, the shopping... What the fuck did she do? As usual, a narcissistic bitch and a weak husband. But that seems to be the writer's (and many others) speciality.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 3 years ago

A very good story. Good plot, well developed. One of this author's where the husband/boyfriend doesn't go from a strong minded man, to a pussy whipped wimp!Too often this happens in his stories, with the guy grovelling and accepting all the blame! Nice to see the change, not that it matters, since SP hasn't posted a story since 2017. He does need an editor, though; e.g. faux pas, not foopa! 5*s.

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago
Too much drama . . .

that is a marriage that should never have happened.

john_sixfooterjohn_sixfooterover 3 years ago
Easy 5 stars!

It was very believable, up until the ending. Beth's boss' demise was a bit over the top, but it was enjoyable.

Great writing. I've actually asked out women using a similar technique, and it sometimes works. Not too corny, so it's believable.

Your story, your universe, your fantasy. Well done!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 4 years ago
You had me committed

I liked it. It was a corny beginning, the characters were lean, and overall a small roller coas rollercoaster relationship. It was good to hear from her point of view, as the suspense was increasing. I liked the reversal of the kindly coworker/ boss turning into the villain. And I like you didn’t go into a graphic rape.

NitpicNitpicalmost 4 years ago
Bit

Bit on the long side for what it was.Also he tells his boss he wants a rise or he is leaving which he gets,yet two paragraphs later he is saying he needs this job.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
Really good story

Well written, well told, was happy with the ending and how everyone got there, need more stories like this

AnonymousAnonymousabout 4 years ago
Very well-told story

Five stars from me (4.95 because of the switching PoV, but OK). I liked the ending (being a sucker for happy endings), but right up until the last page, I wasn't sure how it would go. In other words: Quality writing!

MarkT63MarkT63about 4 years ago
Husband

Steve saved his marriage. Wife almost fell prey to her predator boss. Glad that Karma happened for her boss.

Just_WordsJust_Wordsover 4 years ago
Excellent story.

Every marriage has it's rough patches. Some patches are worse than others. This is a great wife that found her way and healed her marriage and she has a great husband, too. That was a good story. Thank you.

PowersworderPowersworderover 4 years ago

" I need to concentrate on what's important to me"

Beth spelled it out for him. She was obsessed with her career and women like that make shit wives. He should have dumped her self-centred ass and saved himself all the heartache by marrying a nice Suzy homemaker...

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
Great story....

....with the requisite (for me anyway) happy ending for the good people.An expansive plot with well fleshed-out main characters. Five worthy stars

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 5 years ago
4th TIME

Tension.

Troubles.

Tussles.

All resolved to a happy ending.

Yeah!

Paul in Oklahoma

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 5 years ago
Terrific

This is the author’s best.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 5 years ago
How

How did this end up with an happy ending?.With Beth's attitude any normal man would have dumped her arse long ago.She still had her college days attitude.

GymShortsGymShortsalmost 5 years ago
Ahhhhhhh

Very good story, probably the best I've read on .lit over the last several years.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 5 years ago
HERE I AM AGAIN

...for the third time.

This time I was awed by the talent and imagination it took to create the scenarios and dialog in this tale.

Ah yes, the dialog. While some (too many) stories substitute narrative for dialog, this story is chuck full of scintillating, clever, or just plain realistic words from people's mouths.

Still impressed.

Paul in Oklahoma

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 5 years ago
Re: “dunmovyniv" Comment

I'm reading all of the stories in order so I just thought I'd add to "Anonymous on 3/19/19" comment. I guess I understand Slirpuss quite well by now, sometimes I think he's telling my life story and I keep looking over my shoulder expecting him to be there taking notes. So I just have to say I knew exactly what the word should have been and I'm still LMFAO as I right this. Signed: BTW

AnonymousAnonymousabout 5 years ago
ATTENTION RIVETING STORY

Which is what I go to Literotica for, namely entertainment and enjoyment. So, easily 5 stars.

I stand by what I said in my previous comment. I would dispute what Anonymous 8-11-18 disputed about me leaning right, but it is my view that Literotica is not the arena for political discussion/disagreement. It was not my intention to raise political issues in my previous comment, but rather to make a point against the conspiracy idea.

The second paragraph by Anonymous 8-11-18 brings up some good points that I had not really thought much about. Although I would not come down on Beth as hard as he did, he does showcase her blame in their marital problems. But, now that he has me thinking about that, it also shows that Beth's ending outlook of being willing to give up her job for her marriage and family, is quite different than her beginning outlook which put job and career above marriage. Another facet of this masterful story.

Paul in Oklahoma

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
What He Said

The comment by “dunmovyniv’ made my day. Like him, I couldn’t figure out what the heck “foopa” meant. I Googled it and it made no sense at all in the context of the story. But then dunmovyniv explained it. What a hoot. That said, I thought this was a very good story and I enjoyed it.

chaoddicchaoddicover 5 years ago
Loved it

Have read all of your stories in alphabetical order up until this one and this one is my favorite so far by a long shot, but all of your stories are well written and thought out even with the abrupt endings at times. 5* all around. Keep em coming.

AnonymousAnonymousover 5 years ago
???

what happened to David? slap hapy papy #9

dunmovynivdunmovynivalmost 6 years ago
Funniest stupid mistake EVER

"From there things got a little out of hand. Everyone kept drinking and asking me when I was going to ask her. Before I knew it, my foopa had spread to three other tables and everyone was proposing toasts to Beth and me."

I spent ten minutes trying to figure this out, and when I did, I busted my gut laughing.

IT'S Faux Pas !!! LOL LOL LOL

A foopa is something entirely different, it's the fat roll just above an obese lady's vagina!!!!!! " my foopa had spread to three other tables" !!!! LOL LOL LOL

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 6 years ago
To Paul in Oklahoma....

If you're a 'Right winger', my dog is a woodchuck. You're a fucking Left winger who's leaned so far left that you've fallen and you can't get up. Spewing that bullshit and then "Confessing" that you're a Right Winger is a typical bullshit tactic that we've come to expect from you lying assholes. Verily I say unto you... Go fuck yourself and use a wire brush.

The story is very well done. His wife did a lot to cause the problem by not talking to her husband... and instead talking to the asswipe who kept putting her husband down. At the end, she made it far worse by not confiding in her husband what the cocksucker had done. Had her husband not kept at her to get her to tell him WHAT had happened instead of imagining the worst as having actually happened, they'd be headed for divorce court.... all because the dumb bitch was too stupid to tell her husband the TRUTH. The fact is that she betrayed him by talking to that asshole about their problems instead of to the man who was supposedly her life partner... the man who'd several times tried to get things back on track between them. His knowing that she'd continuously betrayed their personal privacy caused great resentment so their marriage being salvaged is nothing short of dumb luck.

Gave the story four stars.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 6 years ago
Excellent Story

A very believable plot and a well written story. 5stars.

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
Any of 8/17

He must be a mushroom junky to believe what he wrote. What a doofus. He sounds lovely like an attorney. And I don’t mean a good one.

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
Regarding Anon 8/27/17 - Carl

OK people, look all you want and have a great laugh at the poor Anon, but PLEASE DON'T FEED THE TROLL! There is nothing to be gained and all they do is leave a mess wherever they go. Ignoring the stupid creatures just pisses them off but you are safe behind the Internet wall. They can't touch you.

That is all. Carry on with your day.

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
@CARL

By Anonymous on 8-27-17.

If you think rapist Carl is the good guy, then is Satan the good guy? And Hitler?

Or are pulling our leg?

And your idea that Beth and Steve are involved in some conspiracy, reminds of some conspiracy theories of some political right-wingers (before you jump on me, I'm a right-wing guy myself ).

Anyway, this was a great, interest-keeping story. Doesn't have the pathos and tear-jerking heartfelt quality of an outstandingly great story (like Room Wanted by Androgynousother) but certainly worthy of 5 stars.

Paul in Oklahoma

Bradp1974Bradp1974over 6 years ago
Amazing

Amazing story. I loved it.

fisheronefisheroneover 6 years ago
Priorities

First off Carl was the boss that kept Beth late and ask her to lunches . Also let's remember this wasn't the first sexual harassment filed against Carl. I think Carl was tipping around on his wife and that caused divorce. Beth should have stepped down to lower position to have better hours and less stress . Because she was so driven to succeed she almost lost everything. I am glad there marriage survived .

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
Carl

A lot of you guys are missing the point. The main character of this story is Carl. Carl who got screwed over by his wife, making him angry. Carl whose assistant (Beth) leads him on like crazy, basically destroying his marriage to his wife. She consensually leads him on, goes up to his room, and then chickens out at the last minute. And then the bad guy (Steve) frames him, and it ends up with poor Carl getting killed on the expressway. And Steve and Beth are laughing all the way to the bank.

Pappy7Pappy7almost 7 years ago
Well, I thought I had commented on this one before, but I guess not.

Ok, here goes. I liked it.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 7 years ago

Outstanding!

AnonymousAnonymousover 7 years ago
Please, no "Hell I ..."

A well designed and told story. But please, all good-hearted authors, resist starting sentences with the exclamation, "Hell, ..." The frequency was way too high -- above one. Otherwise, kudos.

AnonymousAnonymousover 7 years ago
Puppies, Pussy, Predators, And Paladins

It was quite a feat turning this partying college rabble rouser from a tail-wagging puppy into a serious, forward thinking young man. And then in the first part of the story, the courtship, to have him finally drop the hammer on this stuck up bitch was fucking sweet. Nice touch, Slirp.

But this woman learned very little from that experience and never really changed and eventually came to within a hair's breath of absolutely destroying a fine young man and their precious girls as well.

Shoving infants into the hands of daycare and nannies at the ripe age of four months shows incredible self-absorption on the part of this woman. She might be a "strong woman" but she is a weak mother with a pronounced streak of heartless arrogance in her.

At any rate, this was a sprawling story to say the least but the author handled it quite well. If there is a complaint about something then it would possibly be a faltering pace of action here or there. But the "reconnection" sequences were handled well and this husband couldn't have done much better than he did. In truth he ends up being something of a badass.

The husband's worst fault, and it is a serious fault in a man that can wreck a marriage, is to let himself get dragged down to the level of his wife's bitchiness. Sorry, Men, but if you are turning into a harpy bitch like your wife you are going to help her to destroy the remaining good parts of your relationship and therefore the marriage itself. Just Don't Do It.

But how to evaluate this arrogant, snippy, snarky woman? God's honest, even in the cases of these slimy, stupid little cheater bitches, it is the weak-willed men that usually receive this commenter's ire. But this very naïve woman opened herself up to her predator boss and formed an emotional relationship - cheating on her man - exposing not only herself but also her husband and family to great harm. She was a stupid little cheater and is not remotely worthy of this stalwart man's love and attention. The author has given her enough sense to not yield to the crassest designs of the predator. But it is definitely right to say that there were very few people reading this story that did not expect the worst when she was giving the teary-eyed news to her husband.

Of course, this stupid cheater-wife can't be directly blamed for the predator's black-hearted behavior. But how many times did she sit there passively nodding her approval when that sonofabitch ran her husband into the ground? Damn this woman! She admits to ONE SINGLE occurance of this, but just imagine if hubby knew the REAL truth of it. And like all cheating cunts she spends quite a bit of time defending the predator to her own husband's face. The gall of this stupid bitch is beyond belief.

Not sure what to think about the husband and his giddy drooling all over his wife's "success" in the end of the story. Despite the fact that he has become a paladin of sorts, he still carries quite a bit of his puppy dog spirit from his earlier days. Hopefully it all won't come back to bite him and his family later on in life.

Indeed, barring any more abject stupidity on the part of this woman, one can say that the family itself is lucky and better off the way things turned out. But if it weren't for the stout heart of the husband this entire family would be a pitiful wreck.

AnonymousAnonymousover 7 years ago
Very Nice

Enjoyed it very much. And very good to see Carl get his just deserts in the end.

dissmissdissmissover 7 years ago
Loved the romance.

Huge slice of life with lots of romance and drama.... very entertaining.

Carls involvement was built up slowly, but then was over in a flash. I would have liked to see a bit more of this character before he got ' kIlled off'.

Good read.

maninconnmaninconnover 7 years ago
I like all your stories.

I loved this one! Thanks, Slirpuff.

silentsoundsilentsoundover 7 years ago
Liked this one

It was a cut above your usual.

green117green117over 7 years ago
@Vanesca

Dictionaries are cheap, indeed, but do not convey the idiomatic uses of language well.

The wikipedia entry on Boudoir does allow one to fathom the salacious implications of the modern usage of the term, at least in the American context.

Foopa? Almost certainly was a stand in for faux pas. The characters were not cosmopolitan world travelers, and so the use of a phonetic stand in would indicate a lower to low middle class upbringing. This is in keeping with some of the other characterizations of the characters in the story. Again, not something that a non-native American speaker might catch.

Your bio doesn't list a location - if you are going to lecture on english/american/whatever usage, then you might get more slack if you indicate your own background and biases.

Green-something

dc6370dc6370over 7 years ago
Another outstanding story

I wonder why you are one of my favorites?

VanescaVanescaalmost 8 years ago
boudoir?

Beth speaks to Steve, page 8: "Like that's going to happen, mister. I don't think the store would go for us using their dressing room as a boudoir."

The word "boudoir" entered the English language in 1781. It means "a lady's dressing room or sitting room." Just because something sounds exotic, doesn't mean it's salacious. Dictionaries are inexpensive these days; if one can afford a computer, one can certainly afford a dictionary.

VanescaVanescaalmost 8 years ago
foopa

"Foopa" on page 1 is a word I don't know. Is it supposed to be "faux pas?"

Drbeamer3333Drbeamer3333about 8 years ago
Second time through...

Still five stars. Still love it. A quality offering. So much packed into this story.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 8 years ago
Well at least it wasn't some racist bullshit like this author is known for.

It was pretty bad though. Page after page of hand wringing and angst. Just sophomoric.

SoMikeSoMikeover 8 years ago
Hmmm...

I don't think that a woman wanting her own career and life should be classified as "manipulative", or described as a "bitch". A career and a life are kind of the bare minimum for many women, at least in the US. Why is that a problem? Beth seems normal, and rather nice. And I seem to recall Steve was kind of a dick, too.

Speaking of the US, in many areas of the US, one can buy a really nice 3-4 bedroom/2.5 bath house for 150K-200KUSD. Sure the lawyers take their quarter to two-thirds, but I think that as an award in a legal settlement, it can only be classified as taxable income, and is not in and of itself taxable. A bit like having a third person (outside of both spouses) on your tax return. So, yeah, 850KUSD is a SHITLOAD of money. Maybe not in ATL, NYC, SEA, SNF, CHI, BOS, WDC, but in COL, STL, MSP, MEM, CIN, PIT, that cash will go a long way, towards buying a house, to ensuring a good stake for education, and the parent's retirement, if it's handled well. Indeed, if most of it goes straight into investment funds, or college savings plans, it won't even be taxed until it's utilized. You get out into rural areas in the US, and well, that 850KUSD would set up this family for life: wholly-owned home, college paid for, and a substantial retirement fund. Utilities and vaca the only real expenses, maybe cars after the new ones bought after the first money hits (this is the US; it's only natural to get a new car with some of that $$$).

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
Wow did THAT drag on and on and on

In the first place I think Beth was such and over-the-top controlling, manipulative bitch that there was no way in hell they got married, period. They just weren't a good fit and she had a goal and he wasn't in her game plan. So you stretched it to get them married. But when she goes crazy at her job that would have been it for Mr. Hothead. Her goals and his temper would have sunk them. They would have divorced. You just worked WAY too hard to reconcile them. And 850k was nothing. After they pay the attorneys and the taxes they'd be lucky to have 450k left. Not exactly a windfall consider that they had two kids to put thru college whether they remained married or not. In fact the money would have made it easier to split up. Both of them could have bought nice houses with their share of the money and their share from selling their current homes to satisfy the 50/50 split of assets in their divorce. She would have been able to start her business and not been worried about money or satisfying her stubborn husband. He could have spent more time learning and looking for another job on the other side of the Country. There he could have made more money, built his own house and gotten on with his life with dealing with a shrewish wife. Much better ending then yours. Which was just too contrived and unbelievable.

rightbankrightbankover 8 years ago
Krossis, re: almost rich

remember 850,000 was before

taxes

and the attorney

with the plush offices

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
Excellent well written story 5*

I like these longer stories it enables the writer to develop both the plot and the characters so that the reader invests in them. This was the ending I wanted altho' I did think that she may have cheated on him perhaps under the influence of drink or drugs.

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
Not PG

Kept thinking she was going to end up pregnant. Good story teller.

tazz317tazz317almost 9 years ago
NOTHING!!!!!!!?????? IS NEVER THE BEST ONE COULD HOPE FOR

but!!! Something could have been. TK U MLJ LV NV

timlaudertimlauderalmost 9 years ago
WOW!

It was too long, but still a really good story. I'm very glad Beth didn't give in to Carl, that would have ruined the story immediately. 5*'s easy!

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous