Justin Thyme Ch. 19

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"If I don't return home tonight it will be because I've been killed by jealous guys when I walk in with these two on my arms!" Dad just snorted, but Mary gave me a big smile, and behind me Tom Meechum grinned and nodded at me.

Michael had hesitated at the door, not wanting to draw attention from the girls, but he stepped forward and gave them as big of a smile as he could. "You two girls look very nice tonight. You were already beautiful, but this is special."

Dr. Meechum took one look at Michael and said, "Young man, you sit down. Right now!" He stepped over to Michael and guided him to a chair. "Rosemary told me you had an accident, but I had no idea it was this bad! What doctor in his right mind let you out of the hospital?"

"I had to pull some strings with the Hospital Administrator. It helps having your Mom on the Board of Directors. I just absolutely refused to stay. Don't worry, I'm going to see one of the team Ortho's tomorrow."

Mary had taken one look at Michael and hurried down the hall to get her medical bag. She rarely got too far from it. Quickly she produced a thermometer and checked Michael's temperature, which as was to be expected was a bit elevated.

"What have you taken for this?" Dr. Meechum demanded.

"Oh, I had a shot of Demerol at the hospital. Right now I have about six hundred milligrams of Ibuprofen in me. I have some Acetaminophen to take a little later if I need a little help."

"Weren't you even prescribed anything for the pain?"

"Yes Sir, but I chose not to take it. I have to have a clear head tonight. I can't afford to be under the influence."

"Nonsense!"

"No Sir. I have some Vicodin, and I'll take one later, but I have to get through Prom first. I owe it to Susie, and I owe it to everybody else."

"You can't take the Vicodin if you take the Acetaminophen. Vicodin contains Acetaminophen. I have half a mind to call an ambulance and have you admitted. You have no business going to this dance. Yes, it is a special time, but your health is much more important than just a dance."

"I'll be OK, sir. I have a broken nose, and two fractures to the maxilla, and I'll have surgery to take care of them tomorrow. It is very important I do this tonight. Trust me, I'm not masochistic, and I don't get off on pain. I have to do this."

Dr. Meechum looked at his watch. "It's now six-thirty. I will give you until ten o'clock, and then I will be at the Prom with an injection of Demerol, and you will allow me to give it to you, and then to see to it you are properly cared for in a bed. I cannot professionally allow you to do any more than that to yourself. Is that clear?"

"Yes sir. That should be sufficient. Justin already promised he'd babysit me tonight and drive me back up to the training camp tomorrow."

The others stood looking on in stunned silence.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tom Collins drew in a shuddering breath and wiped his eyes on a paper towel. All he had managed to do other than bark his knuckles three times was to remove the four plugs and lay them out on top of the air cleaner. Try as he might he couldn't see well enough to check the plug gaps. He now understood the feeling others had expressed comparing giving away their daughters to giving a prized Stradivarius to a gorilla. As much as he loved and respected Michael he felt the same. He didn't care that the gorilla had been trained by Paganini himself!

Tom stumbled once as he made his way from the garage to the den, carefully wiping grease from his hands as he went. He poured himself a stiff Scotch and drank it down neat before going to check on his daughter and see how she was coming along with getting ready.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Look, guys." Michael leaned forward from the front bulkhead seat where he was sitting with an icebag on his forehead. "Tonight is Susie's night. Don't let her worry about me, OK? I know I won't be able to do a lot of dancing and stuff, but I want it to be a very special night for her. Can you help me out?"

We all agreed. "I still get to dance with both of you! You don't get out of that! By the way, I meant what I said earlier. You are both beautiful young ladies, but tonight you look fantastic! I know I have to leave early, and I'll be OK on my own for a while, so I don't want you feeling you have to take off when I do, so that means you, too, Justin. You guys have a great evening, and if I can get Susie to stay will you let her hang with you?"

"Let her? Don't forget, she's one of us, as are you, now. You can't get her away from us," Rosemary said. "I'm just so sorry you had the accident. What happened anyway?"

"I'll tell you after the Prom." He held up a hand when Rosemary tried to pump him. "You'll just have to wait. I can't tell you yet."

The limo pulled up in front of the Collins' home, and we all got out. Michael did his best to mask the pain in his face as we walked toward the front door. Tom Collins looked rather morose when he opened the door for us and invited us in. "She'll be just a moment, Michael. Susie told my you broke your nose. I'm sorry! What happened?"

"I'll have to tell you about it later." Tom looked at him inquisitively, but Michael was not deterred. "Sorry. I have to wait. It's nothing bad, but it has to wait."

He was saved from any further questioning as we heard a rustling of fabric and all of us looked to the top of the stairs to see a stunning vision coming down the stairs.

I really think Michael forgot his pain for a moment or two as he looked entranced at the beautiful young woman descending the steps. Quickly he stepped to the stairs and extended his hand to assist Susie, but she stopped with her hand to her mouth. "Oh, Michael! Your Mom said you got hurt, but not so badly! We don't have to go! You're hurt too badly!"

"Now, Little One, it isn't that bad. I wouldn't miss this night for anything! I'm just sorry I'm going to mess up the pictures, although it won't be that much of a loss." How he managed to try to joke I don't know, but Michael has a lot of depth to him.

Michael took Susie's hand and lifted it to his lips and kissed it gently. "May I say you look exquisite tonight? Carole really did herself proud! And I love your hair!"

Susie stepped on down the steps. "Thank you. And thank you for the necklace and earrings. They are beautiful."

The way she looked up into Michael's eyes as she stood holding his hand caused the lump that had never gone away in Tom's throat to grow. He turned quickly and walked into the kitchen and drew a glass of water, desperate to find a way to calm himself and to keep from crying in front of everyone. If it was this hard tonight, how in the world would he be able to walk her down an aisle?

Madge paused halfway down the stairs and looked at Michael and Susie with rapt admiration. She saw the look that passed between their eyes and was able to overlook Michael's bandaged face. She knew she was losing her daughter, too, but was buoyed by the hope of rekindling with Tom the relationship they had once had.

The next thirty minutes was spent taking photographs of all of us. Michael sat in a chair in the house for much of it, with Dr. Meechum close at hand, and Mary kept a close eye on him as well. Several times I saw her step over to Michael and lay a hand gently on his forehead checking for fever. At least if something happened we had excellent medical care at our call.

Finally, we were finished with the pictures and got ready to go out to the limo when Stephanie called for everyone's attention. "Mom has something she needs to tell you about before we go. Everybody, listen up!"

Mary blushed and looked down at the floor from the sudden shift of attention, but then lifted her head, eyes shining as she reached over for Tom's hand. "Tom and I are getting married!"

Of course that got the women all chattering together and the men all shook Tom's hand and congratulated him. Stephanie waited until she could get through us guys and stepped up to give Tom a big hug and kiss on the cheek. "I can't wait until I can call you 'Dad'."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

During the dinner Michael sipped slowly at ice water as the others ate. As many 'rubber chicken' dinners as he had eaten with his father when at awards banquets and the sort he really didn't miss the dinner all that much, other than he was getting rather hungry. Those two milkshakes he drank earlier had worn off. In the long run though, his growling belly was drowned out by his hurting head.

Susie kept watching him with concern, which he did his best to allay, but he was no more successful than she had been during her rehab and their night of dancing. He was determined that if she could stand to dance with him as long as she did, when her stump was hurting as it was, there was no way he was going to short her on her special night. He had to at least make the intermission. That was a given!

Susie drew attention wherever she went between her natural beauty enhanced by love and the gown Carole gave her. She didn't know it, but Carole had made a small adjustment to the neck line to enhance the diamond necklace, and she had quite a number of girls she didn't even know ask her where she had found such a beautiful dress. Even the principal stopped her in the lobby to compliment her on the dress and request information. Carole didn't know she had done so, but Susie picked up a number of her business cards and gave them out to all who asked. It was her hope business would flow to Carole as a result of her gift.

Stephanie and Rosemary drew eyes as well, including a few guys who thought they were unattended and had hopes of connecting. I thought it funny, especially when the girls said they were both with me, and liked it that way. More than one guy walked away with a red face.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Tom Collins walked back into his den just as soon as the limo left, fully intending to make another drink. Madge was all excited about Susie's gown, jewelry, the night, and everything about the experience other than Michael's injury, but she didn't know what Tom knew. If she had known she would be excited about that as well, although she thought they were too young to marry. The problem was the kids didn't think they were too young, and he had already given his OK. The last thing he needed to hear at this moment was his wife prattling on and on about all of the details. Yes, he was happy for his daughter to have found what appeared to be real love, but now was not the time!

Propped up on his liquor cabinet Tom found an envelope with his name carefully and neatly penned. It hadn't been there when he fixed himself a drink before the kids arrived. Puzzled he picked it up and opened it to find inside vouchers for a nine to fourteen day cruise of their choice, with a balcony stateroom, and from any port of call in the US or Europe plus round trip airline passes to take them to and from the ship. An enclosed 'Thank You' card read, "Dear Tom and Madge, Please accept this as a token of my thanks for your love and acceptance of me, and for the honor of allowing me to love your daughter.

Please enjoy this cruise with my compliments. Michael"

Wordlessly, for he couldn't find his voice, Tom took the envelope and gave it to Madge. Obviously, Michael had smelled the Scotch on Tom's breath and recognized his feelings and so had known where to leave the card.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As promised, I danced with Susie, and since Michael wasn't feeling all that much like dancing I actually danced with her a couple of times, but the promised slow dance came. Initially I was a little concerned about it, knowing Susie's propensity for teasing, but she was the model of decorum. Sure we danced close together, but it wasn't sexy as much as two very good friends enjoying being together. "Thank you for everything, Justin," she murmured in my ear. "If it was not for you I wouldn't know what love really is. I want you to know I love you and count you as a very dear friend."

"No thanks are necessary, Susie. The feeling is mutual."

"I guess things work out for the best. I know I couldn't be happier, and I'm so glad for you and Stephanie."

"Thanks. I really think she is special."

"Do you know what happened to Michael?"

"No. He wouldn't say. He said he'd tell us about it after Prom."

"He's really hurting."

"I know. He wouldn't take a Vicodin. He said he had to keep his mind clear tonight, that he'd take one later, but Dr. Meechum told him he's going to give him Demerol later."

"Um hmm. I tried to get him to go home, but he won't."

I leaned back enough to smile down at her. "Did you go home when he tried to get you to when you two went dancing that first night?"

"No, but that was different."

"Not so much. He really loves you, you know."

"Um hmm. It's mutual." The song drew to a close and Susie quickly kissed me on the cheek before we left the floor. "Thank you. I had to have at least one for old time's sake."

"Save me one for the wedding." That brought a big smile.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It was nine-thirty when Susie and I came off of the dance floor. Michael was sitting back against the wall trying very hard not to show how badly he was in pain, but it didn't work.

"Look, man. Nobody will hold it against you if you call it a night. You're a lot better man than I am to have lasted this long. Susie is worried about you."

"I know, but I can't go yet. I promise I'll go at ten, when Doc comes over and gives me the shot."

He was obviously in no shape to dance, and he couldn't even really talk with us. His sinuses were so swollen and packed you could hardly understand what he had to say, but he kept a bit of a smile on his face, encouraging Susie to dance with me and a swarm of other guys that came around and asked. "Look, Honey, this is your last Prom. This is your night. Go have fun. I'm not worried about you."

She wouldn't do it, though. I danced several times with Rosemary and Steph, mostly alternating, but saving the slow dances for Steph. Rosemary and I had decided beforehand it would look wrong for a brother and sister to be slow dancing the way we would really want too if it was up to us.

Finally, at nine forty-five the lead singer of the band stepped to the microphone and said, "Folks, we need to take a break, but during the break time we have a very special guest to introduce. Michael Thibodeaux, Jeff Thibodeaux's son is here tonight. Michael, come on up here!"

That brought out a round of cheering, mostly from the guys, but everyone was excited to see who Michael was. Michael rose slowly and grabbed Susie by the hand. "Come with me, would you, Honey? I'd like to have you with me."

Susie looked at him in surprise, but got up and followed as Michael made his way slowly to the dais. When he stepped up to the microphone a new wave of cheers swept the room, especially when Susie was recognized with him. Michael raised a hand and waited for the noise to settle down, the cheers being overwhelmed by whispers and questions of what happened to him?

"Good evening! I ask you to please pardon my appearance this evening. I had a little accident, not of my own causing this morning and broke my nose. I'm afraid I spoiled Susie's evening, but it couldn't be helped. Anyway, that is not why I'm here. Last week I called on Dr. Robinson, your principal and requested permission to speak with you all for just a couple of minutes. I promise I won't be long."

Michael paused and took a deep breath. "I know many of you don't know my date, Susie Collins, but I'm sure you heard about the accident in which she was hit by a driver under the influence a few months ago, and how she lost a foot as a result."

Murmuring and muttering swept the room.

Michael held up a hand again and gradually the room quieted down. "Susie didn't know I was going to do this tonight, and I'm sorry if I'm embarrassing her." He turned to Susie and pled with his eyes for her understanding. She just gave him a sweet smile and nodded, trusting he would do what was right. She knew it was really important to him since he had used his family name.

"Stephanie Winters was driving the car." He pointed back to where we were sitting. "There was nothing she could do as the other driver blew a red light and T-boned her car in the passenger door, pinning Susie's foot, requiring it to be cut from the wreckage. Susie also had serious internal injuries and some head trauma, which fortunately was not long lasting. She underwent several surgeries, and it was really touch and go whether she would survive. One of the top Orthopaedic surgeons in the country was called in from Mayo's trying to save her foot, but it was not possible, and it had to be removed a couple of days later. All of this because a guy had a couple of drinks and then tried to drive."

Michael paused once again, his face ashen. "I know what happened, because I was there for all of it. You see, I was the other driver."

At this admission an angry murmur broke out, and for a minute I thought people were going to rush him, but Susie stepped up next to him and grabbed his hand. Michael waited for the grumbling to die down before continuing. "Lest you think I have to do this tonight as part of some sort of court sentence or something, I don't. I am here because I requested to be, and of my own free will, without anyone asking me to do so. Before you crucify me, please let me tell you what happened. I don't drink. Because of my religion I have never touched alcohol before that night. I attended a party with a girl from a class I was taking, and a couple of guys spiked the punch without anyone's knowledge. They were a couple of losers who were hoping to make the girls more amenable to persuasion, if you will. Most of us at the party were underage, and no alcohol was supposed to be present."

"Because I do not drink, and had never before had a drink I didn't realize what was happening to me when after a couple of glasses of punch I was not feeling well. I thought I was sick and made my apologies and left the party and was trying to go home. I was not legally drunk, only blowing a point oh seven, but I was under the influence, and I did not see the red light until it was too late. As a consequence of my actions a lovely young lady lost her foot and several months of her life that were spent either in the hospital or in a hospital bed in her home."

"Her parents were out of town on a cruise and couldn't get back for nine days. I didn't want her to be alone, so I took it on myself to stay with her and to make sure she received the best of care. I asked her forgiveness as soon as she was able to talk with me and she was gracious enough to give me her forgiveness. I also went to Stephanie Winters to ask her forgiveness, and there I met Justin and Rosemary Thyme, and their grandfather, who is an attorney representing Stephanie. When I explained what happened and asked Stephanie for her forgiveness she also was gracious and gave it. As a consequence I gained some very precious friends."

Michael nodded back our direction and then paused before continuing.

"I am not pushing for you to join my religion. That is a personal choice for each of us to make, but I do ask you not to drink and drive, even a little bit. None of you are legal to drink, but I recognize that will not stop many of you. I hope what I have to say this evening and the witness before you the consequences of just a momentary slip of judgment will be enough to make you think about things. If you attend a party where you don't have control of what you eat or drink, please be careful. If it doesn't feel right, don't do it. It is not worth the risk or the pain it brings."

"You see Susie here before you tonight, and with that beautiful gown I know you haven't missed her. You've seen her dancing and having fun, but you don't see her prosthesis, nor will you see the blisters on her stump tomorrow because she is on it longer than she ought be. Neither will you see or hear her complain. She never has to my knowledge and it is one thing that has made me come to love her as a friend, and then beyond that."