All Comments on 'Kansas 1868'

by jessme

Sort by:
  • 8 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousalmost 18 years ago
Did you really....

think that anyone wouldn't spot the ending coming, since it's a direct rip-off of AN OCCURRENCE AT OWL CREEK BRIDGE

by Ambrose Bierce?

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 18 years ago
Boring

I found absolutely nothing erotic about the story. Boring.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 18 years ago
Well done

It really isn't a rip-off of Bierce's (http://eserver.org/fiction/occurrence-at-owl-creek.html) any more than Bierce's is a rip-off of half-a-hundred earlier execution stories before him, or so my lit. professor said. What is powerful about this story is that Jessme does not spend a lot of time between the start of the fall and Cassie being killed. Just enough that you really think Cassie is going back to her lover, just enough to feel good about her escape from being killed. And then Jessme takes it all back and I was left with a feeling of loss about someone I had come to care for. A loss that I do not feel at all for Bierce's Peyton Farquhar (whose broken neck, IMHO, was more mercy than he deserved).

Jessme, I hope you continue to write. It isn't the plot that makes this special, it is how you draw the reader's emotions into your character. That is not a trivial gift or skill.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 18 years ago
Very Good

Great historical read about what was not talked about 100 years ago.

duddle146duddle146almost 18 years ago
Clever, Attention-getting story!

Variations of your ending must have been used at least 100 times in the past. You took that ending, made some slight changes and made it yours. Good on you.

Keep writing!

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 18 years ago
boring is too kind

Come on, not erotic, no chacter development, no story develpment. Nice outline for a story, take some time and develop it. Right now it is abused woman has an affair with anoter abused woman and abusive husband gets killed, woman gets hung.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 16 years ago
love!

I don't know what everyone's bitching about, I really liked this story.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 10 years ago
Too similar

This story is well-written but too similar to 'An Occurrence at Owl Creek Bridge' by Ambrose Bierce.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous