Keeper Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
Ardella
Ardella
213 Followers

John looked at Blue in surprise, wordlessly asking if what Lee proclaimed was true. Shyly she smiled back and nodded.

"I made up my mind this morning. You were right... I listened to my heart."

"I'm glad, then." John said thickly, knowing his voice probably couldn't be heard above the noise. He didn't know what was making his throat tight; the knowledge that Blue would be staying, or the possibility that she already had someone in her life. Oh hell, it was probably both.

Well hell, if she was making the house next to his her own, then that was great. If she had something going on with Lee, that was great too. He had no say in her life and he knew it. Just because he was hot for her? No, he would step back without even having stepped forward. No way he would poach on someone else's territory. That wasn't the way he did things. He was 'by the book', and the book said no messing with another guy's woman.

But that didn't mean he couldn't celebrate with them. What the hell, why let the night go totally to trash? John followed the pair to their table, sat for a minute while they trotted out to the dance floor again, and then accepted a dance request himself from a tall, vivacious woman that had been eying him since he walked in the door.

~~~~~

Lee had excused himself and had gone outdoors, to take a call, he said. He needed the quiet of his SUV to hear. The patrons of Cuddy's Shed were quite noisy and getting more so as midnight drew near.

Blue dried her hands on a paper towel and looked at herself in the ancient mirror, the only one in the tiny ladies restroom. Giving up on an attempt to tame the loose tendrils of hair that had come out of her braid, she made a face at her reflection. Nothing to do about her looks now, the damage was done. Somehow she didn't mind Lee seeing her looking so unpolished, but John's unexpected arrival had her wishing she had taken more care with her clothing and all before she had left the house.That woman John had been dancing with, now there was a woman who knew how to dress. Self assured, sophisticated and chock full of sex appeal.

Everything that you are not. Blue's reflection taunted.

"Whatever. You're just jealous because that woman has been hanging all over John like wet spaghetti thrown on the wall." Blue taunted back. The image had her nearly laughing, and rolling her eyes at her own churlishness, she tossed the paper towel in the trash and pulled at the door.

The moment she entered into the too-dark hallway that housed the restrooms the music hit her ears and a vibration buzzed against the top of her thigh. Startled at the tingle, she quickly realized what she was feeling and slid her cell phone out of her pocket. This time a name popped up with the number, one that she recognized. Huffing out a breath, her finger hovered over the ignore selection. Another sigh had her answering instead.

"Jackson." Holding her free hand over her other ear to block out the noise of the bar, she clipped out the name instead of answering with her usual polite 'hello'.

"Blue, god damn it, where the hell are you?" The angry male voice railed into her ear.

"You know perfectly well where I am."

"I know where you're not. I've been by your apartment and you weren't there. I can't believe you haven't come home yet. What the hell are you still there for?"

Blue clenched her teeth, a pulse beginning to pound in her temple. Staring at the filthy, shoe trampled carpet that had been installed in the tiny hallway, she held her body still and stiff. "I came for Aunt Jean. You know that. I buried her. You know that too. Not that it's any of your business."

A pause lengthened and she guessed Jackson Woods was composing himself in that way he had when he could see his anger wasn't going to get him anywhere. She guessed right. His next words were spoken soft and low. Blue used to like listening to that tone from him. Now she knew better and it only set her teeth on edge.

"Blue, sweetheart. I just miss you, that's all. Come on... come home and I'll make everything up to you. I swear. God, I'm so lonely without you."

You should have thought of that before you cheated on me and then told me I wasn't 'enough' for you when I found out. She wanted to say it out loud, but oddly enough she couldn't gather enough interest to care about putting in the effort.

"Come on, Blue." He tried again when she said nothing. "I made a mistake, I know it. Come home."

"I am home." She was mildly surprised at how sure her tone was. "And I'm staying here."

Jackson made a rude, laughing sound. "You're kidding."

"No, I'm not." Blue was ready to hang up, tired of this conversation the moment it had begun. But Jackson wasn't through, and she could tell his was holding on to his temper by a thread. She'd come to learn about that unpleasant, quick-to-anger side of his personality later than she would have wished, and had been planning to break things off with him anyhow... the cheating and insults had just come first, still hurtful even though she knew their relationship wasn't going to last.

"Jackson..." she sighed, suddenly tired, her fingers rubbing her forehead. "I'm staying here." She repeated. "I'd like you not to call me anymore. There isn't any point."

His control snapped. His voice screeched into her ear. "What are you trying to do? Tear out my fucking heart? Don't be so fucking heartless, just fucking come home!"

Heart... home...

Blue backed against the dingy, papered wall, leaning against it as she narrowed her eyes and spoke into the phone. She kept her voice as even as possible, though she had to raise it to make sure she was heard over the music coming from the other room.

"Jackson. Don't call me. Don't write to me. Don't... don't text me. Do you understand? Goodbye."

Snapping a cell phone shut wasn't nearly as satisfying as being able to slam a rotary phone to hang up on someone. Closing her eyes she let the wall behind her giver her support, taking calming breaths even as her fingers squeezed the phone as if she wanted to crush it. Surprisingly enough, she didn't jump out of her skin when she felt fingers touch the back of her hand. Slowly opening her eyes, she first saw John's boots, then the faded jeans he was wearing as she raised her gaze up and up, traveling up that tall, solid body... until she was looking him in the eye.

He looked concerned. A little protective maybe. She felt a blush heating her cheeks and wondered if he had overheard any of her words. She couldn't help feeling embarrassed to think that he had. She thought for a moment that he was going to ask if she was okay... somehow she knew the question was on the tip of his tongue, but his lips tightened into a thin line instead. Looking down at where he was still touching her hand, he gently loosened her fingers from her phone. She hadn't realized she still had a death grip on it and relaxed her fingers, letting him take the phone from her.

"Came to find you." He murmured, and she could hear him just fine because the music had stopped. "It's almost..." Voices yelling out from the main area of the bar "Ten, nine, eight, seven..." began counting down. John tilted his head in that direction, letting the crowd's countdown continue with "Four, three, two, one!" before he finished with his own quiet "... midnight."

Revelers cheered happily, ringing in the New Year with joy. It sounded wild out there, but in the little hallway, lit only by some haphazard holiday lights strung along the top of the walls, Blue felt like time had stopped. John was close, so close, and she had to tilt her head up to look at him, but she didn't want to move away. Couldn't move away. She felt like she was waiting. Waiting for... something...

"Midnight." He said again, softly, as if to himself. His shoulder lifted up in something like a shrug and the furrow that had creased his brow smoothed out.

The next thing she knew, his lips were touching hers. His eyes were still open, looking into hers... asking her permission? He must have liked the answer in her eyes, because his lips pressed harder, softened, parted too briefly in a small biting motion, then lingered softly again. It was too quick. Over with too soon, and yet her own eyes had had time to close. When she felt his mouth leave hers, she opened her eyes again and focused on her hand that had somehow found it's way to the middle of his broad chest. Lowering it, she looked away. His stare was so intense.

But it was just a New Year's Eve kiss. Right? Or maybe not, because it damn well felt like so much more than that. Be careful. Don't be reading too much into this. Smile. Do NOT melt into a puddle at his feet! "Happy New Year." She managed not to croak the words, thank goodness.

"Yes, it is." His mouth crooked up at one corner. One of the sexiest damn sort-of smiles she had ever seen.

This time, when she felt the touch of his fingers, she did jump, embarrassingly startled when he slid her cell phone into her front pocket. Or maybe it wasn't embarrassment, or from being startled at all. Maybe she jumped because the brush of the backs of his fingers near her hip bone, even felt through the denim of her jeans, had sent an electric tingle through her body, sparking outwards from that initial spot.

And then he was turning, and she let out the breath she had been holding.

"Lee's been looking for you." The corner of his mouth crooked up again, but this time it gave him a different look. He cocked his head towards the main area of the bar and walked into the crowd.

Tossing her head and straightening her shoulders, she followed, and laughed as she was caught up in Lee's arms as he gave her a twirl and a smacking New Year's kiss. Over Lee's shoulder she caught the narrowing of John's eyes as he watched, and then he turned away, his dance partner's arms snaking around his neck.

A Happy New Year kiss. That was all.

Ardella
Ardella
213 Followers