La Vita Dolce Ch. 08

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

She was gazing at him, suspicion evident in her eyes. "What are you talking about?"

His face was expressionless. "I'm sending you back to America."

She immediately looked hurt. "You don't want me here. I'm too much trouble," she said thing back on Gianni's words.

"No, Bella," Renoldo was quick to reassure her. "You were smart not want my business, my life. It nearly got you killed."

She let out a harsh laugh. "And you think I couldn't be found in America, that they couldn't come after me there?"

"That will not happen."

She felt dread welling up in her at the sound of the cold determination in his voice and in his face.

He continued. "It was reported to the newspapers that you died of your injuries. Your wake and funeral are in three days. Closed casket, of course. You'll be sent to America and the Angiolinis think they have succeeded in killing the Pezzini heir."

Natasha stared at her uncle in awe and dismay. "It is that easy for you then?" Her voice broke. "You can just strip my life from me?" Suddenly she wrapped her arms around his waist and buried her face against his chest. "Please don't send me away. You're all I have. I'll be alone."

Renoldo tightened his arms around her and pressed a kiss upon her hair. Sighing

"Please," she pleaded, "don't make me go."

Gently, he pushed her back and looked into her face. "As much as I would love to have you here..." His jaw tightened. "I almost watched you die. I won't let it become a reality. I won't watch you be killed because of me or because your mother's a Pezzini. I won't lose you too."

She lifted her azure eyes to his and her gaze pierced him. Her voice was muted. "Too?"

Renoldo took her hands in his once more. His own hands shook slightly. "I'm telling you this because you need to understand the danger that is my world."

She lay back against the pillows. Somehow she knew she didn't want to hear this.

He couldn't bring himself to meet her eyes. "Angelina, your mother...her death wasn't an accident. She was murdered."

Suddenly it was hard to breath. Natasha's breath came in shallow gasps. She fisted the sheets in her hands and shook her head vehemently. "My mother...she died in a car accident. The brakes failed..." she insisted somewhat desperately.

"The lines were cut."

Natasha remained motionless and her eyes drifted closed. A tear slipped from beneath her dark lashes.

Renoldo brushed the tear from her cheek. "I'm sorry to tell you this. But you have to understand why this is so dangerous, why I need to send you away." He brushed the back of his hand over her jaw. "You're so like her."

Natasha didn't respond. Her eyes remained closed. Her lips trembled. "When?" she breathed.

He withdrew his hand. "As soon as you are well." He leaned forward and pressed a kiss to her brow. "I'll get the nurse." And then he left her.

12