Life Resumed

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Nicole smiled and nodded her head. She got up and returned to her work. She made sandwiches for her and Mark to eat. They sat in the bar and she watched as Carl continued to work. Nicole got up, made Carl a sandwich and took it and a drink out to him also. He smiled up at her when she placed the light lunch before him but continued working.

Just before six p.m. Nicole saw Dottie walk up to the table and sit with Carl. Tolliver came toward the bar and stuck his head into the door. He said, "If you're finished eating could you two come out and visit with us for a while please?"

Nicole was frightened. She hoped she hadn't done something wrong and made them angry. What if they wanted them to move out? OH GOD. They were angry about her suggestion maybe.

When she and Mark came out Carl stood and pointed at the remaining two chairs clustered around the table. "Have a seat please."

Carl waited until Mark and Nicole had taken their seats then he began to talk. "Nicole we've thought about your suggestion for the building. Tolliver wants nothing to do with it but Dottie and I are sort of interested in your suggestion. We've decided to give it a try IF you and Mark can agree with our requirements. Tolliver and Dottie are retired and don't want to be involved in the operation at all. I will be the General Manager of the property but you Nicole and you Mark have to do the majority of the work. You two will be the go to people for any problems. You will be the Office Manager Mark and be responsible for renting the units and the grounds. You will manage the Food Service and Bar Nicole as well as insure the public areas of the building are clean and well maintained. We expect you to help each other when needed. I will oversee it all and negotiate any contracts we need. I will not be on call to fix a leaky faucet or give out a lost key. That will be your responsibility Mark."

Carl looked over the assembled people and continued, "If you will agree to these terms we will have contracts drawn up for each of you. You will each receive 25% of the business total profits for your work. I will receive 35% and Tolliver and Dottie 15%. We will discuss our options on the restaurant and bar. We are pretty sure we don't want to operate them ourselves. We might be better off leasing the space to outside operators. In any event, the profit split would be as I said earlier. We want you to think about this tomorrow and let us know tomorrow night if you want to go ahead. Do you have any questions?"

Nicole looked at the three owners then over at Mark. There were tears in the corner of her eyes. Mark shook his head no and Nicole started to discuss the operation. Carl said, "No, no discussion tonight unless you have a question right now. Think about it and your jobs. List any questions you have about the business and we'll talk more tomorrow evening. Now, how about a pitcher of Margaritas?"

Nicole smiled as Carl walked toward the bar. She got up and said, "I'll help." She followed him into the bar. When he stopped after walking behind the counter she wrapped her arms around him and before he could respond she gave him a quick kiss then said, "Thank you Carl. I appreciate the offer. I'm sure we will make a good profit and I'll make sure this chance you have given us won't cause any of you trouble."

Carl started to talk and Nicole continued, "Shhh. I know I'm supposed to think about the deal and I will. I just wanted to thank you for even considering it. Now, mix those drinks. I really want one right now."

The first pitcher of Margaritas disappeared rapidly. Tolliver and Dottie left the young people sitting with a second pitcher. They were beginning to visit and occasionally laugh. After the second pitcher Mark disappeared to go to the restroom. He never returned. The rest of the evening Carl and Nicole drank a third pitcher between them and visited. Carl went into his room to take a leak at one time and came back in his swim suit. Before he returned to the table he dove into the pool to cool off. He kept pestering Nicole until she agreed to sit with her legs in the water to talk with him. Finally he got out of the pool and they returned to the table and the rest of the margaritas.

It was almost midnight when they gave up and went into their respective apartments for the night. Carl had trouble going to sleep that evening. For some reason the project had captured his attention. He felt himself getting excited about the remodel project. He lay there thinking about the work and how he was going to do it. He was surprised at himself but he was excited about having something to do! Finally exhaustion claimed him and he drifted off to sleep.

Nicole, too, had trouble sleeping. She was excited about the project and couldn't wait to begin. The next morning after cleaning up from breakfast she called the friends she thought might want to operate the bar and restaurant. She hoped she wasn't stepping on Carl's toes but wanted to see if they were interested and what they would be willing to pay to rent the premises. Both of the friends she contacted were interested and promised to come look over the building then submit a bid for the space if Carl wanted one.

That evening everyone met once again and discussed the project. It was agreed to go forward with the understanding Tolliver wanted nothing to do with it and that if the guests became a bother the business would place a privacy fence around a portion of the courtyard to secure his privacy.

Carl spent the remainder of the evening working on plans for the renovation. The next day he spent obtaining bids for building materials, new appliances and decorating items. Carl was a marine engineer and decided to personally do as much of the work as he could considering building codes and his abilities.

The next day he spent once again measuring the rooms and beginning to draw up plans for the apartments. He was lucky that all the rooms were the same so one set of plans could be used for every new apartment. Occasionally he would reverse the order of rooms for variety but other than being mirror images they would be identical.

A week after agreeing to renovate Carl began the project. He began on the room next to Nicole's early on a Monday morning. He tore out all the fixtures, carpets and decoration then moved to the next. It took him almost a month to strip the rooms then he began his renovations. His first apartment completed was in the front center. When he finished he asked Mark and Nicole to move into it. It was to be the Manager's apartment and he had installed upgraded items in it for them.

By this time both Mark and Nicole had began helping him when their other duties were completed. What that meant was they worked with him about 7 hours a day. Finally, after five months, all the new apartments were completed and the outside of the building had received new paint and some new landscaping. They were ready to advertise and begin renting apartments. There were four rooms on the bottom floor Carl left the same size making them into efficiency or Studio apartments. They were on the front corners of the building and would rent for about half what the larger apartments would rent for.

All of the apartments were between 800 and 1000 square feet except the Studio's. Some of the larger apartments had two bathrooms, some only had one but all had two bedrooms. With the fit and finish installed they found comparable apartments would rent for $1600 to $2200 monthly. Since they were in an older building farther from town they decided to set the rental at $1600 per month and give a $100 discount if the rent was paid before the due dates.

The first day the advertisement ran in the paper they had ten requests to view the apartments. Counting the two apartments they had rented in advance to the operators of the bar and restaurant this would fill over two thirds of the building if everyone rented. Nicole was excited and Carl was surprised by the response.

Carl decided to take the next week off and relax. He serviced his boat and took off on a short cruise. Nicole stood in the courtyard and watched as his boat disappeared from sight. She felt strangely unsettled as if she had lost part of herself. Finally she sighed and returned to work. The bar and restaurant were opening the following Friday and she needed to help her friends get ready. She also had to take care of her normal cleaning duties.

Carl chugged slowly down the coast enjoying the solitude of the sea and the sun on his face. He pulled into quiet coves, he fished and ate and drank lightly. He still missed his wife deeply but now she was more of a pleasant memory. He had gotten over the deep abiding pain of loss he had harbored for so long. From time to time he found his thoughts on Nicole and the new business they had started.

Carl had motored all the way to Miami before he decided to turn around and return to Key West. By the time he returned home he had been gone ten days and was well rested.

The morning after Carl got back he had a meeting with Nicole and Mark. He also met with the operator of the bar and restaurant for a short time. They had decided to lease the food and drink operation for a flat monthly fee of $750 per business plus 10% of the gross. The business operators were responsible for utilities and equipment upkeep and maintenance. The $1500 due from both operations every month would cover all the insurance and other fees the hotel had. The 10% of the gross would be the profit margin. If the businesses became popular the partnership stood to make a very large profit on the operation. Carl had promised if business warranted he would either expand seating into the lesser used part of the lobby or one or more of the Studio apartments. He also promised he would remodel and redecorate the seating area if necessary.

After they had discussed the food and drink operations the operators left the meeting and Nicole and Mark remained. Carl was surprised to learn all but three of the apartments had been rented. They had another person who desperately wanted to rent the one remaining two bedroom unit but she could not afford to pay the full asking price.

Nicole looked at Mark and Carl guiltily and said, "I know we agreed on the rental prices and we have never discussed reducing rent on the apartments. I know we can fill the building without discounting rent but I want to do that for this applicant. In my opinion this is a special case and we should cut the rent." Carl's first thought was to deny her request without any further information but there was something in her and Mark's eyes that made him hold his tongue.

Carl leaned back in his chair and crossed his arms. He looked at the two siblings and said, "Why would we want to do that? We haven't been open two weeks yet and are almost full. We can fill the apartments without discounting. We still have two Studio apartments empty. Why doesn't she just rent one of them? They rent for half what the two bedroom units go for."

Nicole took a deep breath and said, "I know we can rent all the units at full price but this is a special case like I said before. You gave me and Mark a break and we feel like this renter deserves one also." She looked over at Mark and saw the tightness in his face. She placed her hand on his, turned to Carl and continued, "We may have been out of line but we have tended to try and rent our units to ex-service men and women. That is what we have with Alice but she is special in another way. Her vehicle was hit with an IED and she was injured much like Mark. She lost part of her foot and her legs took a lot of shrapnel. She can get around OK but needs a pool to exercise in. She has a disability payment from the Army but has no job. She is looking for work but is having trouble finding something she can do with her limitations. I want to rent the unit to her for $800 per month cash and let her work off the remainder helping here. We haven't made any offer to her yet but I really think this should be done. She needs a little help and I could use some help around here also."

Carl sat and thought for a moment. Finally he said, "I'm not sure about this. Why don't you let me talk to her? Hiring help is part of my duties as General Manager as is rent reduction."

The next morning at 0900 Carl was still outside his room at his table when a very pretty young woman limped up to him. Mark was slightly behind and to her left hovering almost protectively over her. He introduced her to Carl and at Carl's glance made his exit back to the office. Twice he turned to look at the young woman letting his gaze linger. His expression was almost puppy like.

Carl stood, shook her hand and invited her to sit. He was amazed at her appearance first off and at her self confidence and poise afterward. He felt his stomach clench and his face tightened. Alice gave him a surprised look, one of almost fear.

Carl obviously forced himself to relax and began the conversation. He asked Alice about herself, how she was injured and what her duties had been in the Army. He found she had been a Lieutenant in the Medical service Corps with a specialty of Medical Logistics. She had been injured while taking supplies from a supply point to an aid station. She had only been in the Army 8 years, a little over five of which had been served as enlisted. She had finished college in night school and been selected for OCS. Carl was impressed with her.

He said, "I'm sure by now you've been told I'm not anxious to reduce the rent for you Ms. Harris. I know I can rent the remainder of the units without having to do that. Why are you so anxious to live here? I know there are other units in town that are empty and that rent for the price you are able to pay. We also still have two Studio apartments that we could rent you. If you can afford half the rent on the two bedroom unit you could afford the full rental on a Studio."

Alice sat and looked Carl in the eye then said, "Yes there are other places in town I can afford on my pension. I live in one of them right now. It is a roach trap and the location is not as good as you have here. They have no pool and I need the swimming for exercise. I know I could swim in the ocean or public pools but I really need a pool without a large crowd and the waves sometimes cause me problems in the ocean. I also like the hot tub you have here because the hot water helps my legs. I really want and need the two bedroom unit because I am trying to start a business of my own." Carl's head jerked up and he started to comment on that.

Alice saw his reaction and rushed to cut him off. She raised her hand and said, "Wait, it's nothing that will bring more people into the apartment. I perhaps misspoke when I said I was starting a business but that is the way the IRS looks at it. I am trying to become a writer and I am also trying to supplement my income by doing research and writing research papers for sale to college students. I also do some graphic work for small businesses so I need room for my printers, computer and monitors. I also need the room for my bookcases. I have several reference books and textbooks. In short I need the spare room for an office."

Alice laughed and continued once more. "I know selling research papers isn't really ethical but you would be amazed at how many students do purchase completed papers. There are many companies and individuals out there that sell those items. I can get up to several hundred dollars for a paper depending on its complexity and length. Right now I only sell three or four papers a month and most of them are pretty short but I do have hopes. I have had several short stories published but again it doesn't pay very well. I really need the extra room for file cabinets, books and workspace."

"I have talked to Mark and Nicole, unh your managers, and I am sure I can help with some of their duties. I walk slowly and I am stiff so I would work slowly on my feet but I am willing to do that. In fact it will help with my rehabilitation. I can also help with the paperwork. I understand you were a Coastie Officer so you know about the paperwork."

Alice stopped talking and blushed. She continued, "Oh, I'm sorry. I shouldn't have said that. I meant I understand you had been a Lieutenant in the Coast Guard."

Carl laughed and said, "That's ok Charlotte. I've heard the term before." His face looked shocked and then it tightened into a grimace. He had been fighting with himself ever since he first saw Alice. It was uncanny how much she resembled his deceased wife. He was appalled at his slip however. His emotions overwhelmed him and he stood and then rapidly walked away from the table and around the end of the building. Alice was shocked and worried. She was sure she had upset Carl and now had no chance of working a deal for the room. She stood and walked dejectedly back into the building and through the lobby.

Nicole looked out of the office and saw Alice leaving looking very dejected. She rushed out and caught her before she drove off in her old beat up ranger pickup. "Alice what's the matter," she asked.

"I don't know. I was explaining why I wanted to live here and what I thought I could do to help you and Mark when I fucked up and pissed him off. He just got up and walked off with a horrible look on his face."

"Oh, my God! What did you do?"

"I really don't know. I was telling him I had heard he was a Coastie then I apologized for that. He looked at me for a moment and said 'That's ok Charlotte. I've heard the term before.' Then he looked shocked, his face screwed up and he almost ran around the end of the building. I waited a minute but he never came back so I left."

"Charlotte? He called you Charlotte?"

Alice nodded her head yes and Nicole said, "Oh, shit. Come with me." She grabbed Alice's hand and pulled her along behind her as fast as Alice could walk. They found Carl sitting in his little landscaped grotto at the end of his apartment. He was drinking from his bottle of scotch and tears were running down his face.

Nicole stood watching him for a moment then made her decision. She pulled Alice around to the door to Carl's apartment and used her master key to open the room. She walked to his bookcase and reached out for a picture. She turned it to Alice and showed it to her. Alice gasped at the similarity the picture had to her.

Alice reached out and held the picture for a better look. She tilted her head up to Nicole and asked, "Who is this?"

Nicole took the picture and returned it to the bookcase. She said, "I can't believe I didn't notice that before. That was Charlotte. She was his wife and died in the World Trade Center. They were expecting their first child. Carl's parents were there too. They never recovered the bodies. Shit, shit, shit."

Nicole once again took Alice's hand and pulled her from the room. They walked up to Carl and Nicole said, "Carl, I'm sorry. I didn't see the resemblance and Alice didn't know." She walked up to Carl and wrapped her arms around him, pulling him to her once more.

Alice walked in front of Carl and pulled a chair up in front of him. She sat facing him and said, "Carl, Mr. Pennington, I'm sorry. I don't know what to say but I am sorry. I'll go. Thank you for at least talking to me."

Nicole turned on Alice and violently hissed, "NO! You stay! We need to settle this. Carl can't just run and hide every time something like this comes up." She bit her lip then reached her decision. She reached out and took the bottle, capped it and turned to the house.

Carl watched her in silence then turned to look at Alice. He watched Alice for a moment and said quietly, "It was such a shock. I was bothered by the way you look, as if I should know you but I hadn't made the connection. I thought I was over the worst of my grief and had Charlotte safely laid to rest. The way the sun hit you and what you said...I didn't even think about anything, I just called you Charlotte because she was always teasing me about being a Coastie. Then when I realized what I had said I just lost it. I'm sorry. Alice I need to think and get myself back together. Can you please just go and come back tomorrow? I just can't do this any longer today. I promise you'll get your chance to make your case but please, just let me be alone now."