Life Resumed

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Alice smiled and stood. She reached out and put her hand on Carl's shoulder. She gently squeezed and said, "Of course. I really am sorry Mr. Pennington. I'll be back the same time tomorrow if that's ok?" Carl nodded yes and she walked away without any further conversation.

When Alice once more walked through the lobby Nicole and Mark met her. She explained her agreement to return the next morning then said, "One of you really need to go be with him right now. He doesn't need to be alone."

Nicole returned to be with Carl. He was lying in his hammock looking out over the shore. She didn't say anything, just sat in a chair and kept him company. Just before noon Nicole rose and entered the restaurant. She had them make sandwiches for her and Carl then took the meal out to him. They ate in silence then he looked at her and said, "Thank you. It was just such a shock. I felt the pull to her when Mark first introduced us. I felt a pull toward her but never saw the resemblance. Then with the sun behind her and when she called me a Coastie...Charlotte used to tease me about being a Coastie. She knew I wasn't a slacker but she said a Coastie was a beach and boat crazy person who just coasted through life...I'm afraid I almost lost it when I realized I had called her Charlotte."

The next morning Carl came through the office with his coffee. He looked drawn and pale and seemed exhausted. Nicole suspected he had not slept much. She could smell alcohol on his breath but he didn't appear drunk. She was upset he had returned to the bottle but didn't say anything. He said, "When Alice gets here send her back to my table please. I'll be there."

Carl was making notes on a piece of paper between bouts of watching the waves break on the shore when Alice found him. He rose to greet her then invited her to sit with him in the shade once more. He said, "I'm sorry I put you through that yesterday. I'll try to do better today. Now, tell me again why you think you deserve the break on the rent and how you think you can help to work off the balance."

They talked. Alice presented her ideas and asked questions about the operation. Carl thought about her statements and then made more notes. He picked up the paper he had been writing on and said, "I've decided I'm willing to give you a chance. We'll try out some of your ideas and see if you can make enough difference in our operation to warrant the rent relief. I've decided to use you as my assistant. You will be responsible for the day to day operations, ordering supplies paying bills and so forth. You can fill in for Mark and Nicole so they can have time off. I will cut your rent to $750.00 per month if you put in at least 100 hours per month quality work for us. If you exceed that and your effort warrants we can talk about a greater reduction at the end of three months. Of course if your contribution isn't worth the reduction at the end of three months we may raise the cash rent you have to pay too."

Alice smiled and held her hand out. "Deal," she said.

Carl reached into a folder he had on the table and pulled a legal document from it. He filled in several blanks, made some written notes in the remarks section, signed it and handed it to Alice. "Here is the rental agreement and a listing of your duties as we discussed. I also put in we would reevaluate things in three months and adjust duties, pay and rental as agreed. I suggest you look it over and if you agree you can sign it. You can move in the day you sign if you wish."

Alice took the paper and sat back in her chair. She spent the next few minutes reading then signed the document. She handed the paper back to Carl and said, "It looked fine to me. I would like a copy however for my records. I'll start moving today."

Over the next weeks Alice proved to be a very good choice both as a tenant and as a part time employee. Mark tried as hard as he could but he just did not have the education to keep up with all the paperwork required for the apartments—especially the bookkeeping part of his job. Alice moved in and almost overnight reorganized the office and caught up the paperwork and got the books in order. She took Mark under her wing and showed him how to do simple bookkeeping and how to control the office. He had, after all, been a very young but very promising Sergeant and now he came into his own as her "sergeant".

Alice also gave some assistance to Nicole but found Nicole needed very little help. She already had a two year college degree in Hotel and Restaurant Management and had been working on her Bachelors. Light guidance only was required there.

During this time Carl and Alice spent several hours a week together setting up files, discussing policy and procedures and learning how to work with each other. Carl also introduced her as his assistant to the few suppliers they had so they would know she spoke for him when necessary. Carl found himself liking her and valuing her input on business as well as personal issues.

From time to time, especially mornings before work and evenings after work Carl and Alice could be found sitting in his grotto together. Many times they would be laughing and visiting like long lost friends. From time to time they would swim together and wrestle in the pool. As Carl and Alice's friendship grew he became happier and more outgoing.

Mark on the other hand became more and more surly once more as he watched Alice and Carl interact. After Nicole became aware of the time Carl and Alice spent together she became unhappy and developed a short temper. She felt an empty hollowness in her stomach as she watched Carl draw closer to Alice. One afternoon Nicole saw Alice rush up to Carl and throw her arms around him. She turned from the scene and felt the tears run out of her eyes and down her cheeks.

Nicole was not close enough to hear as Alice said, "Oh, Carl I finally hit the big time! I just got a contract to design new menus for one of the restaurants in town. I'll make $1000.00 to design it and print them off. I will get $100.00 per month to reprint and make changes if needed!"

Carl reached out and wrapped Alice in a hug. She hugged him back and he gave her a smile before gently disengaging from her embrace. They then retired to the chairs and he sat listening to her prattle on about her business and how happy she was. They had several drinks and were still together after night fell. Neither noticed how Mark and Nicole were watching them.

The next day both Carl and Alice were surprised by Mark's and Nicole's withdrawn attitude and short tempers. Neither Mark nor Nicole was as cheerful as they normally were and neither of them stopped to visit with Carl and Alice like they would normally do. Their attitudes were more abrupt and they spoke sharper to Carl and Alice when forced to converse with them. This change in attitude continued for the rest of the week and weekend. Monday evening Carl and Alice were talking as usual when he decided to bring up the subject of the Carpenters. He said, "I have been noticing a change in Mark and Nicole recently. Is something bothering them?"

"I don't know Carl. I've noticed they aren't as happy or friendly as they have been in the past. They almost act as if they are upset with me and I just don't understand it. The only thing I can think of that has changed is my job doing the menu. I just can't believe they are upset over that. I suppose I'll have to call them on it if it continues but I was really hoping it would just work itself out and go away."

"No, let me handle it. I know if we were still in the Military you could make an argument that it was your job. Hell, you can make that argument now too I suppose but I think I want to handle this one myself as much as I hate to."

Later that evening Carl decided enough was enough. He had seen Nicole glaring at him and Alice while they discussed her and Mark. When he had looked at her she set her jaw and walked rapidly into the bar. Alice had been swimming. When she got out of the pool he motioned her over to him. He said, "Alice when you go upstairs to change would you please ask Nicole to come visit with me. I've had all of her attitude I can take right now. I'm going to have that talk with her tonight."

When Alice told Nicole Carl wanted to see her she just looked at her and said, "Fine." She turned and walked out of the bar without another comment. Carl watched as Nicole came storming up to his table with her jaw set.

Before Nicole said anything Carl said, "Nicole please sit down. I think we need to have a talk." After she took a seat he continued. "I've noticed you and Mark have been upset lately and it's affecting your work. We need to have a talk and see if we can get things straightened out before things get really bad. You've been short with me, Alice and many of our renters. We just can't have that Nicole. Is something bothering you?"

Nicole looked at him in anger and said, "Is this it then? You've finally decided to get rid of us? You think you don't need me any longer because you've got someone to take my place? Well, she may look like Charlotte but she's not. She may be better educated than I am but she doesn't care about this business and you like I do either. Can I at least stay until I find somewhere else to live?"

Carl was shocked and hurt. He watched as the tears trickled down Nicole's cheeks. Her face was flushed in anger. Her fists were clenched and she was almost shaking from her anger. Nicole stood and started to turn and leave. Carl jumped to his feet and rushed to her. He grabbed her by the arm, He pulled her back and stood looking at her as her face crumpled and she was wracked with sobs. Without thinking he pulled her to his chest and wrapped her in his arms. He just held her as she cried. Her sobs were letting up when he pushed Nicole gently back so he could look into her eyes once more. He stepped away from her toward his hammock and pulled her with him. He sat in his hammock. They almost fell on the ground as he lay back and pulled her to him.

"Shhhh," he said. "I don't know where that all came from. In fact, I'm not even sure I understand what you're talking about Nikki. I have no intention of getting rid of you or Mark. You are both pulling your weight here and I am quite satisfied with your work. I don't understand what you're saying about me and Alice either. I know she looks somewhat like Charlotte but what does that have to do with anything? Hell Honey, this is as much your business as it is mine even if I do own it. It was your idea and it's your and Mark's work mostly that keeps it going. Alice can't and doesn't want to take that away from you. Whatever gave you the idea she could or would replace you or, for that matter, that I would want her to?"

Carl felt Nicole snuggle closer to him. She said, "I've, well Mark and I have watched you with her. You start every morning with her and end every day with her. You have lunch together most days. You laugh together and touch each other so much. We see you watching her and then Thursday last week you stood right here and kissed her. What else could we think?"

Carl pulled Nicole tighter against him and said, "Nikki the kiss was...Oh, hell I don't know for sure what it was. Didn't she tell you she had gotten her first big job as a graphic designer? That was the day she got it and she was excited. She came to me and told me. I hugged her in congratulations and she jumped up and kissed me. As for being together daily, hell yes we are. She is my assistant. We plan the day every morning. We lunch together if we need to discuss something mid day and in the evenings we cover business if there is any then we just relax. Hell, neither of us, for that matter none of the four of us are party animals. We all relax here around the pool at the end of the day. You and Mark have been with Alice and me many mornings and evenings."

Carl sighed and continued, "I know she's not Charlotte. I admit I still am bothered somewhat by her resemblance and I know I watch her sometimes but I can't help it. Crap I watch you sometimes too. I'm a man and when I see a beautiful woman I tend to stare at her especially if I am horny. That doesn't mean I intend to try and replace Charlotte with her. NO ONE can do that. Maybe if I am very lucky I can find someone else to love someday but there will always be room in my heart for Charlotte. You...uh they will just have to get used to that."

Nicole lay with Carl on the hammock. Her hand gently caressed his chest. She snuggled closer and drifted off to sleep. Alice stood in her window and watched the conversation and Nicole's change as she relaxed into Carl's embrace. Finally Alice smiled and returned to her office and her work. It looked like Carl had perhaps found out what the problem with Nicole was.

The next morning at their meeting Alice couldn't help herself. When she walked up to Carl she grinned and said, "I saw someone sleeping together out here last night. I take it all is well with Nikki now?"

Carl sighed and said, "Ok, cut the crap. I think her problem was a little insecurity and a lot of jealousy. She thought we were going to kick her and Mark out so you could take over. She was upset at the time we were spending together and over the kiss you gave me the other night. She said she thought you and I were a couple and didn't need her and Mark to help us any longer. I just don't understand what got into her but I think we have it worked out."

Alice sat in shock then said, "You're joking right? Please tell me you really know what's going on? I watched you and her from my balcony last night and finally put the pieces together. Please tell me you figured it out last night when I did?"

"What do you mean? I already told you what the problem was."

Alice laughed and said, "You dense Bastard. You have no idea what the real problem is do you? Carl that woman is head over heels in love with you and she thought I was moving in on you. I'm surprised I didn't think about that before you had your little talk but after watching you last night and after what you just told me it's as plain as the nose on your face. I've known she worships the ground you walk on for weeks but I just thought it was because you took them in when they lost their house. Hell, I'm almost as dumb as you are I guess. Unless I miss my guess you have pretty strong feelings for her too."

Carl sat in shock for a minute. He replayed the past weeks and conversations in his mind. He was almost staggered with his new understanding of the problem. Then he wondered what Mark's problem with him might be. Was he upset because he thought Carl was treating Nikki wrong? No, that answer didn't feel right.

Carl leaned back in his chair and grinned at Alice. When he did that he saw Mark standing on his balcony glaring at them. All at once Carl saw the whole picture. He got a small grin on his face. He said, "I'm dense? What about you my dear? You mean to tell me you don't notice how Mark drools over you? Hell, he's always around wherever you are and he always knows where you are. Hell, look over there on his balcony. He's staring at us right now. He's got it bad for you too. Do you really not know that or are you still following the old Officer and Enlisted non fraternization policy? It's OK to fraternize here you know Lieutenant."

"You ASSHOLE! I know we're not on active duty any longer and his former rank never entered my mind. I just..."

Alice began crying and then continued, "Hell, what would he or any man want with an ugly shot up woman like me? No one would be able to get past the way my legs look to fuck me."

Carl's face turned red and he leaned forward. He began yelling at Alice. "You fucking little idiot! Jesus! Don't you ever look in the mirror? You're fucking gorgeous. Hell, every man that lives here watches you while you walk around the premises and especially while you are swimming. Sure you have a few scars on your legs and part of a foot missing but so what? All the important pieces are there and more importantly, you have a beautiful personality. All you would have to do is crook your finger and there would be a riot over who got to take you out. Even as gimpy as he is Mark would beat them all to your door too. Sure your legs are a little stiff and you don't move as well as you used to but let me tell you, you're all woman. Haven't you seen me and the other men watching you?"

"Well yeah but...well I know it's because I look like your wife a little. And that's OK with me. I at least get to pretend you're looking at me because you like what you see. I always figured the other men were just looking at an ugly cripple waiting on me to fall or something."

About that time Mark came stomping into the middle of the conversation. He roared up into Carl's face in his peculiar gate and said, "What did you do to Alice? First you mess with Nikki and now you're messing with Alice. I ought to smash your smarmy face for you."

Mark pulled back his fist only to stop instantly when he felt Alice grab it and heard her bark, "Mark, that's ENOUGH! He didn't do anything to me. I was just explaining to him why no man would want to be seen with me much less go to bed with anyone as ugly and crippled as I am. It hurt to have to admit that but I did and"

Mark turned toward Alice so rapidly he pulled both of them off balance from her holding onto his arm. His face showed shock, disbelief even. He said, "you're joking right? My GOD, what the hell are you talking about? Jesus! Any man would give his left nut to be with you. You're perfect. GOD, I'd give my left leg if I thought someone like you could ever be with me. I know how worthless I am now but I still have dreams. I know I'll always be alone because of those damn ragheads but at least"

SMACK! Mark's head twisted with the force of the blow. He stopped his diatribe and rubbed his hand against his already inflamed cheek. He stared at Alice in shock as she got in his face and began yelling at him. He could actually feel the spittle misting his face as she said, "You dumb shit! I know what you and all the other men think. I've done everything but throw myself at you since I moved in and you just ignore me. Don't you ever try to play that card buster. I know you don't want to have anything to do with me because of my legs. Hell, why would such a wonderful man like you want to saddle himself with someone who looked like I do?"

Alice was crying harder now and Mark just stood and looked at her. Carl smiled and walked up behind Mark. He gently pushed Mark toward Alice and whispered, "Wake up big guy."

Mark turned to look at Carl and felt him nudge him once more. He saw Carl nod his head toward Alice once again and the light bulb went off. Mark moved to Alice and wrapped her in his arms. He said, "Alice, Honey, I think we're both idiots. I've dreamed about you since I first saw you too but I was so sure no one would ever want a used up old soldier like I was all I did was dream."

Alice looked at Mark and smiled. She wrapped her arm around his waist and began walking toward the stairs to the upper level. Carl watched them with a smile on his face. They slowly climbed the stairs arm in arm, walked down the balcony and into Alice's apartment. Carl watched them turn to kiss as the door closed. He smiled and returned to his hammock and his pitcher of Margarita's.

The next morning Carl was sitting at his table alone going over the books for the past month. Nicole had been yelling for Mark for five minutes or so now. She had came from the kitchen and gone to their apartment. She came out rapidly and looked wildly around.

When she saw Carl watching her Nicole ran down the balcony, down the stairs and up to him. Carl I can't find Mark. He never came home last night. His bed's not been slept in. Have you seen him?"

"NO, I haven't seen him since last night late. He was enjoying the night air I think. I thought he went upstairs to bed. I'm sure he'll turn up eventually. Here, have a seat and a cup of coffee."