Longwood First Hunt Day 03-04

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
emap
emap
237 Followers

"Not yesterday, she was snatched off Arnold's train that was the same day you got a prisoner break. She's been with the bandits for two days." I look up at him and sigh.

"If so either they did not force her the first night or she forgot. I'm not mentioning it she's not exactly what one would call good people as it stands."

Gus nods and sets about shutting down his locomotive. I head around the train to find everyone sitting and waiting for me. When I catch up to Dan we get in motion again, even Elizabeth is still here. I figured she would have gone straight to the train. The sheriff's office is at the end of the path set a little past the buildings on each side to let wagons in to town around the sheriff's.

There is a man sitting on a chair in front of the sheriff's, he stands up and says something into the building. A second man comes out this one holding a rifle, Martin looks a little nervous. I look about to see if there is anything in town we would want to take a look at. I see a store and a feed store, there is the undertaker, I am surprised at no stable Longwood had a stable when we first reached it. As we are coming closer the one that had been sitting in the chair pulls his revolver and holds up his hand walking toward us.

"Kindly stop there and tell me your business." We pull up and stop there with a little difficulty with the dead weight horses.

"I'm the sheriff of Longwood with a deputy we helped the marshal over there get the prisoner that was broken out of our cell. We got two prisoners for you now and a lot of dead men we want to see if there are bounties on them, promised pay to the Apache and our translator. Any coin in the pockets will go for burial I'll cover the rest if it is not enough." Dan says getting the man to look over at him.

I see his hand holding the gun moving upward and pull mine fast cocking both. The man turns to look at me, the one in the doorway adjusts his feet to aim at me I move the second revolver to cover him.

"Put the revolver away and tell the fool in the door to put his shotgun away."

"Lady you are jumpy I had an itch on my belly. I'll put it away, Gander put the shotgun away these are lawmen, and lady." He puts the revolver away and scratches his belly, Dan chuckles.

"Please excuse Janet it has been a while since we shut eye. I notice there are no saloons or hotels would it be possible for us to shack up in the sheriff's? Janet has a need and well dang it would be nice to have a roof."

"I don't see a reason to refuse, Gander come on your going to help us put the dead men by the undertaker we can check for wanted in the morning. Closing up a little early today, the sheriff will be here at nine or so in the morning. We got a stove inside if you want to make up vittles for yourselves, once we finish we are going to our house."

"Thank you, Janet, go on in with Silvia, Gwen, and I guess Elizabeth is staying. We will be inside shortly with saddles and a powerful hunger." I look at Dan then sigh and pull my Winchester.

Gwen does the same along with getting her saddlebag before she drops down. Silvia takes a little longer explaining to the Apache what they are going to do. Elizabeth takes a little coaxing to get down from her horse. Michael and Benjamin are ushered inside into one of the cells. Gwen and Silvia spend a little while going over everything and getting the stove lit while I look over the sheriff's. There is a bed in the back behind the cells hidden by a wall there is no window or door.

I go back into the front and take a seat behind one of the desks while Gwen and Silvia get to work making vittles. Elizabeth comes and sits by me, on the floor which is surprising.

"Janet, am I that bad?" Elizabeth asks getting Gwen and Silvia to look over at us.

"To us yes you are. You come from a different place we would be lost in your city just as much as you are lost here." Gwen opens her mouth to say something I shake my head at her.

Elizabeth does not look reassured she does let the matter lie. Vittles are well on their way to being cooked when the Apache come back carrying saddlebags and two saddles. Dan and Martin come in carrying four saddles all four men leave again to come back with two more saddles and more saddle bags. Gwen and Silvia set about getting plates ready for all of us while Dan goes through the drawers in the desks. He checks the one I am sitting at first finding a number of wanted posters, he sets those on the desk before heading to the other desk.

He goes through the drawers fast then comes to a locked one he shakes it about then asks me for a throwing knife. I don't even think about it just flick one at him. It clatters off the wall behind the desk, Dan had asked and ducked. Martin chuckles as he goes over to the other desk and helps Dan work the lock down enough to open. I groan when he brings more wanted posters over the first one is a face I recognize.

"I shot him twice, how can he be wanted?" Dan shrugs and shows me some more, I recognize the big man I shot first last night.

Dan shows them to Martin while I get up and go over to Michael and Benjamin. My belly rumbles when I realize they have plates already, I have not ate since the chili.

"Michael does the sheriff have a limp?" Michael looks up at me and nods looking mystified.

"He has a limp and his left hand is not very good. How did you know he limped?" I look at Michael and sigh.

"I shot him twice eleven years ago now I reckon. He was doing the same thing in Idaho, I had my old Winchester then it used revolver bullets. I will make sure I am closer this time. Dan, do we have enough to just shoot him and be done?" I look back at Dan, he sighs and shrugs.

"I think we should try and keep it just a visiting sheriff, deputy, and marshal for the time being. It could not be the sheriff in the wanted poster I also think you had best teach Gwen how to track in the morning so you don't see the sheriff, I know how you are and if he is the man he will try and shoot all of us right then."

I don't like this plan, I think my face says so Dan just gives me a later look. I nod to him as I sit down at the desk to find a plate for me. Elizabeth moves closer, at first just to have a place to put her plate then she turns to me and speaks low.

"Why are you being so nice to me all of a sudden?" I look at Elizabeth not really sure what it is she means, then it comes to me I hadn't just been ignoring or insulting her.

"The engineer on the train told me something that puts your experience in a different light." Elizabeth gets a confused look.

"What could he have said? It happened exactly as I said." I shake my head not sure I want to tell her, the expression on her face gets me to.

"The bandits had you for two days. We only have two trains that run on those rails, the last one through was now three days ago."

"I don't know what to say, I remember being taken from this town to the camp. I was screaming so I was hit on the head from behind, I remember waking up with that man trying to have me." I look at Elizabeth her eyes are saying there might have been more I nod.

"It is known for hits on the head to put a person down for long stretches." I don't say I've never seen one that long, Elizabeth nods and looks relieved.

I return to my vittles Elizabeth does the same. I notice Dan and Martin at the other desk talking to each other glancing my way now and then. With my plate finished I hand it to Silvia, she has turned into our plate cleaner then walk to Dan and Martin. I put a hand on Martin's shoulder then squeeze in between Dan and the desk to sit in his lap and put my arms around his neck.

Dan looks at me in his lap, before he can say anything I lean in and kiss him. This is not just a quick peck, this is an I have needs now type of kiss. I hold on to him and work my lips over his enjoying our lips pressed together. I keep going ignoring Martin sitting there, ignoring everyone else in the sheriff's. I have a desire to meet his needs I want to do it now. Dan puts his hands around me holding on kissing back before pushing back on me a little. One hand to my breast to push he leaves it there while we speak.

"Janet wait, we need to discuss a few things first, one of them is where we are rolling and spending the night." Dan says with an urge in his eyes to match my own, I smile at him and point behind the empty cell.

"There is bed behind wall of the cell, we will stay there." Dan nods with a smile, Martin coughs once to get me to look at him.

"I rather agree with you on the plan, most of it centers on your great spirit taking an interest in us. Dan's plan is to get you away from the sheriff's so the sheriff does not see you and hope he does not recognize Dan. Once we get a look around town and see what they say without the sheriff then we move on the sheriff. The reception we got was perfectly normal, it is possible the wanted posters were locked away to keep the deputies from going after the bandits. Michael was only fibbing to try and get us to let him go." I shake my head and sigh.

"Dan I'm not happy with this plan, it anchors on me to save the day. I'm not that always moving always begging for hot rolls gal anymore, I'm a grandmother. We have a babe in Longwood that needs us." Dan sighs and nods then looks at me.

"There is nothing else we can do I'm a sheriff in another sheriff's town I have to speak to him. Martin needs to stay here as well the Apache can not wander the town, that would get cries of uprising. The only one we can have leave the sheriff's is you Janet. Gwen will go with because you would get cries of an uprising alone, we are not known here." I just lean in to Dan and worry, he must have known since his hands wrap me up tight and holds me.

"Dan." I look up at him he looks and gets a worried expression. "I will go to the store in the morning before the sheriff before the deputies perhaps. If they are not awake I will visit the undertaker, I will try every building until I get someone awake and I will get their version of things here. If one agrees with Michael I will come back and there will be a slaughter."

"Janet please don't look at me like that, much nicer when you see your husband and not a man you are going to kill." I sigh and look away, Martin jerks getting another sigh then I force a smile.

"I'm not risking you perhaps I am unkillable, perhaps the Great Spirit does have a hand on my shoulder. If he does, he is not protecting you and I need you. I need you to put another child in me there will be no risking of you." Dan nods and pulls my face up to see him.

"I wasn't under danger, you remember the deputies, they want to act like proper lawmen and have us go away. I want you away from here because you are memorable. You sang your luck song the entire firefight in Idaho, it was beautiful and it was frightening." Gwen makes a noise getting me to look at her.

"Janet, could you share the story of the firefight in Idaho?" Gwen asks crossing herself, Silvia doing the same and nodding.

"Well I suppose I can do my roll in a little bit. It was a small town, called Silver Creek they had a silver mine there, what was left of it..." The memories come flooding back.

***

There were trees all around the town except for the road that had been cut through for the wagons and the space created by the creek. The town itself isn't really much to look at, log cabins that had probably been made out of the tree's that stood where the town sits. There is a saloon, a doctor's office, a sheriff and a mining company building that served as the store. Along with many an unmarked cabin that served as homes for the miners.

A deputy appears out the shadows of one of these cabins as we get closer to entering the town, he puts his hand up and asks us to get down to talk normal like. I drop down fast, it was a tall horse I had for this hunt there is no way to get down well besides just dropping. Dan is a little slower his long legs make me jealous often then collects the rein. We had found out earlier in the hunt the horse will just walk off with me holding the reins on the ground. I move closer to the deputy looking up at him, very common occurrence I'm short for a woman.

"What wrong deputy?" He looks at me and snorts derisively.

"Get your thing to shush and away from me, I want to know what you're doing here..." He stops talking with my revolver pointed at his face my second is pointed at his equipment.

"Janet now be nice the deputy is only doing what he is told. We are on the trail of a deserter Janet says he came this way. Here's the wanted paper on him have you seen this man?" Dan holds out the wanted poster, the deputy looks and nods.

"Yeah he skinned out two days ago, I think through the forest. Could you have her put those away I'd like to stay breathing and pleasing women?" I push the lower revolver into him getting a groan out of him.

"Will look, if not trace will come back, round eye will not like." He nods sweat trickling down his face.

"You should just kill him he and all the rest are just robbing us blind." A woman says from a cabin on the other side of the opening into town.

"Say it again and we will take our pleasure in you until we have had our fill. Worthless woman like you deserves to be taken..." His words shut off because I have shot him.

The first shot goes into his equipment, the second into his forehead after he leans over into my high revolver. The woman is cheering until a shot rings out hitting her. Another zings by me, I move for the cabin Dan ahead of me. I shoot twice more not at anyone just trying to put their heads down, it does not work quite as well as I would like. A second bullet slams into my leg spilling me to the ground getting a shout from Dan. I roll the rest of the way to the safety of the cabin, I do not have to ask for my Winchester and bullets, Dan has the saddle bags dropped next to me and my brand new only hunted with so far Winchester.

I heft my Winchester thinking back on all of those men I had in the brothel just to afford the one. Dan has one of his own he has only shot at cans with his so far. I work my way to a standing position then nod at Dan, he gets ready to run while I take a deep breath and sing my luck song. Dan goes when I go around the corner Winchester loaded and ready to fire. Movement gets my attention to the right side I turn aim and shoot, the bullet hitting him with a mist of blood and he is gone.

Still singing I reload turn and shoot another man coming up from behind a barrel. I keep reloading and shooting singing my song, the second time through now four men have fallen shouts of stay down ringing through the sky about me. With no more targets I walk forward with a limp, my leg hurting with each step my trust in the Great Spirit absolute. A man to my right has me turn and shoot before he realizes I can see him. A man farther up behind a different barrel tries to run farther away I shoot him in the back.

The window of the mining company building breaks out. He spends longer than he should breaking out enough glass, by the time he is reaching through to shoot at me I have shot another man and aimed down on him. We fire at almost the same time, my bullet hits him square spilling blood on the remains of the window. His bullet zings over my head. A man armed with a shotgun appears, I drop behind the barrel I have reached when he fires then stand up still singing and shoot him.

My song dies then I reload my Winchester I can hear shouting and men coming through the forest. Dan catches up with me he drops the saddle bags until I walk forward, I know where they are coming from. Dan cursing behind me I keep going making my limping way to the saloon, a long building I pull the tarp aside and look in to a few shrieks of fear. I do not go in, no one shot at me and there is no other door. The shouting men are coming up behind the saloon I motion Dan to go the other way and head for the corner of the building when a man comes around the corner.

I shoot him fast in the leg high almost into his belly he tumbles to the ground rolling over. I put another bullet into him hearing him collapse with a long sigh then head for the corner. Luck song filling the air I go around the corner right at a second man. His eyes go wide when I shoot him reloading and shooting a third man just behind him as he falls.

There is one in the trees trying to get a shot at me, I duck low and shoot him before moving around the next corner of the saloon. There is a man there waiting for me with his revolver ready he makes a click noise I shoot him. As he is falling his revolver fires having spilled out of his hand it shoots him in the knee. I shoot a man behind the one shot twice now his eyes huge moving to run away. A third man does run away this one I shoot twice, my first bullet hits him high near his arm the second is better placed. There is not another to shoot, Dan managed to shoot a few more on his side of the saloon.

***

"Janet, I am agreeing with the Apache." Silvia says her eyes wide, the apache are staring at me their mouths open.

"What are you talking about?" The word they used sounded familiar but it does not really register.

"They called you Tobadzistsini, the man they prey to for good battles. You're not under the protection of the Great Spirit you are up beside him." I sigh and shake my head Dan just pulls me to him closer.

"I'm inclined to agree with them Janet, there really isn't a good reason for you going through so much and ending up perfectly well." Dan says making me look up at him.

"Dan shush I want to stop killing I'm starting to scare myself. I look up at you and I see my husband, the man I want to roll with for the remaining summers we have. I look at a man with a gun and I have to argue with myself to not shoot him." Dan looks at me a worried expression on his face.

"Would you like to take time and visit the Cherokee reservation and speak with the chiefs?" I sigh and shrug.

"I don't know, I will speak with chief when we return, speak with the captain as well. Mohin might be able to dance it away, I reckon I may need to just return to the saloon and spend my days with Balik." Dan nods and smiles at me.

"I miss him as well I swear no reason to wear your belt when we return to him. You can just take care of your newest addition to our tribe." I smile up at Dan then rest against him bed ready and wanting my roll.

"Janet I know you don't care for me but I would like to stay and see what is being done to the reservation. If I return with tales of being grabbed by bandits and saved by a god hating injun my father would press for the Christianizing of the reservations." Elizabeth says kneeling on the far side of the desk from us, I look over at her then up to Dan.

"Dan, that can't be right, she was grabbed by round eyes." Dan looks down at me and sighs.

"No she's right, city folk have strange forms of right and wrong. Likely the paper will focus on you killing the twenty three men chanting to your gods which will create a rise of panic within the church folk. Think about it, the stories of you are well loved, if it got out that you usually sing songs while shooting dead Christians and not being shot much, they will be feared that round eyes will come flocking to the reservations to learn your religion. While giving his sermon the father passes around a tithe bowl, we put in what we have to spare." I stare at Dan my mouth hanging open.

"You pay the father to say words?" Dan chuckles and shakes his head.

"No what we do is give him money to help the families that need help, buy more bibles and afford vittles. If you notice he does not eat in the saloon often, he has his own stove in the little shack behind the church. He sends some of the money to his superiors, the rest is for repair on the church, helping those that need it and making sure he does not die of hunger. Sally would give him free food, she's offered many times. You should speak to him and say about the fathers you had pay for your time." I nod and lean back into Dan.

emap
emap
237 Followers