Montana Rhapsody Pt. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

After lunch Paris visited her horse Marissa who welcomed the company. Tom had said she should rest that slightly injured foot for ten days so Paris resisted taking Marissa out and walking her lightly. She was aware that if further damage occurred by doing that it could be the end for Marissa. She returned to writing and next day went into town and send the eleven completed chapters to Ruby by courier.

As she left the barn, aglow that Marissa had nosed against her, lightly snorting as if displaying affinity, Paris walked out and saw the broken cloud in the blue sky and the distant snow-covered mountains. She felt at peace and the feeling of spring, more likely the stir of spring around her and she thought of the way the boys appeared to care for her, despite being such a diverse group and with little to show for their toiling she thought she was really rapt with this life.

"I'm amid a rhapsody," she shouted. "It's my Montana Rhapsody. Everything fits so beautifully in place and people out here appear to care for me. If I had my way I'd not return to live in New York City."

Well, despite what she thought she'd be returning to New York in a few months wouldn't she? No more rhapsody, no more Marissa. No more Alice and, oh god, no more Hal."

She burst into tears and wasn't at all surprised by that.

Later Paris went into the kitchen and saw the big pot of soup on slow heat and loaves of bread on trays ready for warming. Oh god, why hadn't Alice asked her if she felt well enough to cook something. They would have spent hours in the saddle over two days and wouldn't be home till nightfall, even after that. They would be tired and hungry.

Paris went into the cooler and took two big roll of beef and put them into the oven to roast. She found onions and potatoes and prepared them for roasting. She peeled apples, made pastry and made three big apple pies. She worked out the timing for everything to be ready at nightfall and then put in extra beers. She set the table for everyone, thinking it was a special occasion so Hal probably planned to have the boys eat with them.

She fired the boiler to heat the house, remembering to check that the tap allowing heated water flow to the middle barn was turned off. She hunted around to find things and decorated the table. After that Paris went out and put hay into the feeders in the pasture behind the barns, having seen the boys do that whenever anyone was out on an all-day ride.

Toward sunset Paris ran a bath for Alice, thinking Hal might join Alice but with her about he'd be too embarrassed. She giggled thinking she'd bet those two would have done it before she'd come to live in the house. After placing in the vegetables to roast and later the pies Paris dressed warmly for outside and didn't have long to wait. She saw Alice come in alone and take her horse into the central barn. She put on a CD of western prairie music and went over to the barn where Alice was unsaddling.

"Hi, how did it go?"

"Oh hi darling," Alice said wearily and the kissed. "It went fine really. A cow broke a leg and had to be shot and a playful calf went over down a sheer drop but it's how it goes. A severe snowstorm can cause far more casualties."

"Here allow me to finish up here. I'll brush Sampson and then put him out. Hay is ready for them."

"Oooh, aren't you a darling girl. The boys are around twenty minutes behind me. Make sure you brush Prairie Queen well for me darling. I started off early to get back and get dinner ready."

"Oh you very responsible person. Why don't you have a bath first? I've run one for you."

"Oh well, just a quick one. My bones are aching and my muscles are sore. It's a long time since I've put a full day in the saddle. It's good having you around here Paris."

"Well don't be too ready with the compliments. I've messed around in your kitchen a bit."

Alice yawned. "I promise not to thump you too hard when I see the mess."

Paris grinned when she heard the scream. She was too far from the house to hear Alice but she imagine the words were something like, "I can't believe this!"

When Hal and the boys arrived they found Paris had set out a towel, brush and currycomb for each of them and had rolled out the two hoses.

"Boys you're eating roast dinner with us tonight."

Larry said, "Alice said she'd have enough soup and bread ready to take over to the bunkhouse."

"Well I got bored being by myself after soup there's a roast and then apple pie."

"You're taking a risk going into Alice's kitchen," Hal said, kissing her. "Great to see you up with energy and walking."

Paris grabbed him and kissed him," whispering, "I have so missed you."

Hal pushed her away, not too roughly, and looked at the boys. Although all had their heads down their sniggering told him what he wanted to know. He turned to talk to Paris but she'd gone.

Paris took in a hot chocolate drink for Alice.

She knocked and Alice said to come in, she had nothing to hide apart from surplus flat.

"Oh darling you wonderful young woman. You knocked my sox off."

"Thank you. I'll leave you to finish off. You won't want the boys seeing me in your kitchen."

"Thank you, that's most thoughtful."

Paris was walking away to pour herself a wine when she turned and said, "Annie when will Hal marry."

"August."

Paris left smiling triumphantly and giggled when she heard Alice said, "What was that Paris?"

Preparing for bed that night Paris watched Hal in his long thermal underwear scratch and yawn as he walked towards her. He kissed her.

"I panicked thinking I'd lost you when told you had plunged into that ravine."

"These things happen. It can be dangerous out here," Paris smiled.

"I never want to lose you."

Paris emitted a tiny gasp.

Hal dropped on to both knees and looking up at her said, "Darling Paris, will you marry me?"

She shook and her eyelids fluttered before she managed, "Yes of course."

"Really?" Hal said, sounding almost surprised, climbing to his feet.

"Oh yes Hal. I love you and I love this environment. Combined I have my rhapsody."

"Oh," he said, scratching his head. Is a um rhapsody okay?"

"Very okay. Now you are exhausted so go to sleep. We can have our first fuck as an engaged couple in the morning."

"Okay but I haven't bought the ring yet."

"That's okay. We won't say anything until you've purchased the ring and we have some people around for a cookout so the boys can attend and then you make the announcement."

"Okay but Alice will know."

"Of course she'll know but she'll keep her mouth shut knowing it's not her business."

"How can you be so sure?"

"Because I've had a vision," Paris joked, only to hear Hal say then that was all right. He went to sleep in Paris's arms.

TO BE CONCLUDED