All Comments on 'Never Got Over Her'

by StangStar06

Sort by:
  • 163 Comments
tazz317tazz317over 12 years ago
LIFE AFTER DEATH

and life before death. Which is the worst pain. TK U MLJ LV NV

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
just goes to show what happens when you shoot first, and ask questions later

this is one story that you might want to ad a sequel to later on. it'd be worth it :) thanks for another great story in the meantime

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
good one

Thanks for the story - engrossing from start to finish. See you next week :)

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
good one

Thanks for the story - engrossing from start to finish. See you next week :)

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
good one

Thanks for the story - engrossing from start to finish. See you next week :)

jakesdadjakesdadover 12 years ago
Honesty and trust

He lied to her about what he was doing for ten years. He criticizes her for not trusting him. Stang, you really didn't think this over enough this time. Not up to your standards.

Fiend6609Fiend6609over 12 years ago

I don't believe that there any woman alive who is that naive as to fall for Carl's line of bullshit like that. Even less so a woman who would forget the date that her child was born and died.

The only way is if she really wanted to cheat. The fact that she didn't get wet or have an orgasm doesn't mean shit. She went and got the fucking lube herself.

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
don't trust me?

Don't want to go back and read it again, and maybe I'm remembering it wrong, but hasn't he been lying to her for ten years about going out of town? The I have to divorce you because don't trust me argument doesn't exactly work in this case. And yet again you write a plot that requires his wife to be a complete moron who, is smart enough to hire a pi, but too damn stupid to wait for the results.

LordSlamdawggLordSlamdawggover 12 years ago
Going Through The (e) Motions By Rot(e)?

One thing I'm keeping in mind as I finish this story is no one is perfect. There are clunker episodes of Seinfeld . Babe Ruth held for decades the record for home runs AND strikeouts . Thanks to this author's info-mustang-mercials have learned that for over a decade, production standards and design of Mustangs slipped grievously.

You can find this out by rereading one of his earlier stories . Stang' is a special author and it's impossible to imagine someone being able to clone his style that is to be found there. The warped circular logic of his female leads and paired with the metaphors that run wilder then those Texas feral hogs has brightened up many Thursdays for us all.

The show ' Cheers' used to do it but slipped after a few years of Kirstie Alley ( who in my mind could play the of many of Stang's deluded females). Then Seinfeld plugged in but lost steam after Susan's death by toxic wedding envelope en masse licking.' Friends' filled the Thursday void but we all tired of cutesy pairing of Monica and what's his name.'The Office ' did admirably until they duplicated Friends gaffe by hooking up Jim and Pam.

Which brings us back to Stang. He has truly been the man in the Thursday arena for me . Allusions have been made that his bag of writing tricks is getting familiar. I myself can't deny this individual effort was not a 'fun read ' but he doesn't owe me that. I've received much pleasure from his labor and paid only with my time.One can only hope that efforts like this are cathartic to him because it would be a shame if no side of reader/author/ character equation was getting 'something' out of this.

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
A good one but not your best

I agree with the commenter below, a good story but not your best. But while we're on the subject as fall comes Thanks Stang for giving us a hell of a summer. No author hits it out of the park every time but you've hit it out of the park so many times this summer that I'm having trouble remembering when one writer (I've been reading here for years) has done anything near this. Private eyes, Ivy, Billie Jean, OIND GILF, even the stories that we had to go to the other web site to get like the beat and Iraq, I ran were all great and written over such a short span of time I can't wait to see what we get in the fall.

bruce22bruce22over 12 years ago
Interesting Read

As always the problems revolve about communication and not just between husband and wife. Everyone lives in their own head and everything that the other one says is reinterpreted in terms of what you all ready know is the "truth". I do agree though that Jim brought on the confusion by lieing about what he was doing... For me, he is the guilty party though she was stupid in even inviting the old friend for supper!

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
Lack of ...

A good story, not super, but still very good. She shouldn't have done it, and she knew and acknowledged it and confessed.

It's not by showing a smiley face that you can't be sad inside. I usually try not to blame people or characters, but in this case I feel his lack of sharing his greave with his wife he claims to love so much, is as much a lack of trust as her not telling him about her suspicions. She carried that baby until the birth, she lost her girl just the same, she can't be a "complete" woman" anymore. Sur he helped her fight her depression, but then taking off for a few days and visiting the grave all alone, aren't really the behavior of a loving husband. You reap what you saw and that goes for both. Not one of your best SS, but a good and interesting nevertheless. Please bring us more.

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
couple of morons

This was illogical as it gets, he lies and then pulls out the trust card? Dellusional as it gets. Both the wife and the husband were couple of morons in this stroy, it lacks any value of protagonist vs antagonist.

vestspetvestspetover 12 years ago
Good twist but...

It's another story where if he would've just told her what he did every year, or better yet grieved with Charlotte, then she wouldn't have worried that he was having an affair. Other than that, it was a good story. It's not one of your best, but the story still got to me.

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
This story seemed to last forever.

Stang really needs to trim the fat, and there is a lot of fat, in his stories. As plots go, this story was beyond believable in many ways. The wife/mom forgot the day her daughter died? He whined and cried alone for almost twenty years? Carl convinced her to get naked and screw over the matter of an hour or so? The husband sent DNA so they could determine what his daughter would look like? He mourns alone in a motel room? He lies to his wife for twenty years and gets angry when she doesn't trust him? He is truly a saint in every facet of his life? This was too long, too unbelievable, and just wasn't well conceived at all. This couple was far too dumb to be allowed to reproduce.

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
What a pile of shit

Unbelievable, stupid, asinine, lame, retarded and that's just the author. If these characters were the best that you could come up with, don't bother wasting our time. Your plot was pathetic, your characters were helmet wearing, short bus riding morons. And the idea that the wife would "forget" her daughters death is...ridiculous...then the whole sex with the friend. Seriously, that's how you got her to cheat on her "perfect" husband?

I don't know what's worse, the author for writing or us for reading thsi shit.

JLRemoraJLRemoraover 12 years ago
A New Avenue?

I guess even negative responses are a form of compliment, because at the very least it's a reaction to the story.

I'd say this story is different in that there is no real antagonism between the husband, Jim, and his wife, as is SS06's usual fare. And in my opinion, it copies the blind uncertainty of real life, even if the plot flow is a bit contrived.

It certainly wasn't a bad story. It did have some good elements to the story. Since this isn't SS06's nominal approach in his stories, I have to think that this story is an experiment. Or perhaps, an attempt to break out of the hard core niche that SS06 has been so successful with. Either way, the intermix of miscues and misunderstandings between the husband and wife, tend to emotionally lift this story above SS06's usual stuff.

BelgiumBelgiumover 12 years ago
Mediocre

SS06 seems to be slipping… for a consecutive week he gives us a story which doesn’t meet his former high standard. Which is a real pithy. The story feels a bit rushed and unfulfilled. It needs a sequel.

As to the wife in case, she acted really dumb but is also a deplorable character which deserves some sympathy. It’s not an affair she had, but a severe lapse of judgement, so I’m not part of the burn the bitch crowd with this one. Perhaps reconciliation down the road might be even merited.

Instead of first confronting her husband about her suspicions, she went off the deep end. And now faces the consequences… Her husband behaviour was indeed suspicious however, so she had reason to think something was wrong, but her “solution” was very wrong as well. As to the husband, he provided the catalysator for her mistake. He made the mistake in not including his wife in his grief. It was her child that was stillborn as well. As to the sister Connie, she too is indeed a self-centred bitch.

hindsight2020hindsight2020over 12 years ago

4 stars. However, that is a down grade from what I usually give you. The editing was not that good and the beginning was sloooow. But I still want to know what happens.

huedogghuedoggover 12 years ago
Gave it a 4star

She fucked up the marriage, and basicly gets everything. He even pays alimony, why, he didn't fuck off. Those are the two things I have issue with. Great fucking story.

sojomansojomanover 12 years ago
I liked it ...

with the exception of the part between Carl and Charlotte. His speech was lame and her falling for it even worse, I guess the other alternative would have made better sense.

I very much liked the thought process of Charlotte in the beginning, the things that go through someone's mind when they don't know but have a strong suspicion.

Jim's explanation at the end was also excellent and portrays well the feelings of a parent when a child is lost and consequences that would last for years.

Thank you for giving us some of the best stories on this site. Not all your wine is from the same vine or vintage but all perfectly drinkable and enjoyable.

MartinimanMartinimanover 12 years ago
Great story

Can we get the next chapter as they meet on their daughter's birthday? Would love it!

Lord_GroLord_Groover 12 years ago
Not one of your better efforts.

I've liked nearly everything I have read of yours, but this one suffers from what the late science fiction writer James Blish called "an idiot plot:" i.e., a plot that advances solely because everyone involved is an idiot. The husband is an idiot for allowing himself to develop a pathological obsession with his stillborn daughter, and then never speaking about it to anyone. And the wife is just as much an idiot for allowing the situation to develop for ten years without confronting her husband about what she thought was going on, and then she compounds the problem by going for a revenge fuck.

They both deserve to be acutely miserable for the rest of their lives. Stupidity at that level OUGHT to be painful.

I'm guessing (and hoping,) that your next one will be closer to your usual standard.

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
Another Good One - But

Stang, well done. I just had one problem. He never explained his annual absence and moodiness and if he was so cognizant of her feelings he would have known she had to be in an emotional quandary.

Yes, she should have queried him about his demeanor but both of them treated their emotions like walking on egg shells and, of course, the tension built. She was too stupid and easy but, in her defense, I really don't think she was the type to want to have an affair - not for a second.

All said, I am surprised that she didn't get a gun and go shoot Carl and/or take an overdose of sleeping pills.

All said, your usual good story telling. I only gave you a four because of the lame way she gave up her sex to Carl and the idiocy by which he convinced her to cheat.

Thanks for another good one. BTW, purple not my color for a Hot Car!

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
Here's one example of how utterly lame this author is

Find the line: "Then he said the 7 words that I'll remember forever" and then count the number of words the doctor said. <Jeopardy theme>

See, it's this kind of sloppiness, along with the cardboard characters and overused plot line (and GOD has this duped wife scenario been overused), and then add that so-fucking-precious-gotta-mention-a-Mustang-every-story approach...

Well, it's just a shame. This author has done non-shitty work in the past. I remain nostalgic.

hodunkhodunkover 12 years ago
Thanks for the great story

I really like your writing and am always waiting for the next story or chapter. Thanks for sharing your talent with us.

LoneStarRiderLoneStarRiderover 12 years ago
Fascinating!

This tale is a fascinating character study.

[Some minor writing flaws, though.]

As presented, it shows how presumptions and communication breakdown can ruin a good marriage. One could fault either Jim and/or Charlotte for those failures; but in the end, the fact that the failures existed is the cause of the unfortunate divorce.

Good writing!

mikothebabymikothebabyover 12 years ago
my apologies to SS06

I never got to edit the final copy of this for SS06 because of hurricane Irene. Our area got hit harder than we expected so I had no internet from late Sat until Tues. So blame me for the sloppiness and the errors. I should have gotten it done sooner.

BillPorterBillPorterover 12 years ago
Next chapter !!!!

I believe that this story needs another chapter, after the way the story ended. They both loved each other, and he should have talked to her about his feelings, and she was too proud, to admit to him that she thought, he was having an affair. And both of them are miserable, without each other

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
Utterly Contrived

All you have done in four pages is prove that what is NOT said, told or revealed is more important that what is done or revealed. You have given a character to your female protagonist which is diametrically opposed to her response to Carl. In 99 out of 100 relationships the mother-to-be character would be the one having the feelings and emotions you give to the father-to-be. And, finally, in Jim you have revealed one of the most stereotypical male behaviours of being able to condemn the actions of another while refusing to accept or even consider their own actions. A complete disaster of a story, and when I tried, I couldn't even change my 2 stars to 1.

gravyruggravyrugover 12 years ago
There's not anybody to like in this story

Husband and wife both fucked up royally, neither trusted the other with what they were feeling. Depends on your point of view who fucked up worst. She was naive and kinda stupid, he was messed up and way overproud. Her family pretty much abandoned her. The only character that was what he was supposed to be was the villain, Carl.

I enjoy reading your stories most of the time, Stang, but this was my least favorite so far.

BaronScrewtapeBaronScrewtapeover 12 years ago
So...

For 10 years he keeps a secret from her, lies to her about leaving town, and basically shuts her out.

Why would she have faith in him?

Why should she?

She is right, she wasted her best years on this loser.

Hopefully Jim will commit suicide in his lonely grief, of his own making. What he has done is as bad as infidelity, and he HAS been betraying her for 10 years.

Hopefully she can one day find a man who will be open with her about his emotions, and completely honest with her.

Hopefully she can find a man who has faith in her, unlike Jim who obviously did not have enought faith in her to tell her about what he was doing. He deserves his misery.

Charlotte deserves better than her family, Jim, and Carl.

Again, you should write a story about how she moves on to a better man and a better life, while her family continues to be the miserable shits they are.

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
Ripped my heart out

I don't come to this site for stories like this, but it

was so well written I couldn't stop reading. That

story crushed me as a husband and a father. I hope

you continue to write. Well done.

RehnquistRehnquistover 12 years ago
I wonder . . .

1. Why it took you this many stories to finally use the only truly great Mustang--i.e., the pre-1968--as the secondary love interest? Then, when you finally did, that little beauty got such short shrift. A shame.

2. Why the wife couldn't just confront him? I mean, come on, she loves him to death and he's doing this for the past ten years and she's scared shitless he'll leave for a younger model and she's all paranoid, but she still won't just ask what's going on?

3. Why the dimwit fucking husband goes into his own private grief annually without saying a word? What the hell is a real spouse for if not to share your sorrow and pain as well as your joys and happiness?

4. Why hubby can't even see wife's point of view? God knows most commenters can see it from her side. Think about it: He keeps all of this hidden for all those years and is surprised she doesn't think it's a long-standing affair or series of affairs? Really? And she's just to believe he's so fucking fixated and obsessed with a 20-year old stillbirth he hasn't mentioned in years? So obsessed he's spending their joint monies on DNA recreations? Really? In a typical LW story, would we believe such a line of shit out of the wife's mouth?

Really, just a sad story, but one that--yet again--has the wife failing to act to her fullest potential. Wouldn't it have made more sense for her to have spurned Carl? If she'd have done that, would hubby have still divorced her for her lack of faith? His speech at the end indicates it was the lack of faith that doomed the marriage rather than the 1-time lapse in fidelity. If that was true, would he have divorced her for lack of faith had she even confronted him with an accusation?

Thus, all in all, it was thought provoking, but it created more questions than it answered.

P.S. And Miko, I can't count the times we've all heard that same old tired "the hurricane prevented me from getting my editing done" excuse! lol

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
The husband is equally to blame....he WAS having an affair

With a memory....he should have shared instead of pushing his wife to despair

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
why don't you

try to write again an erotic story ? I just simply can't see where anybody should get his rocks off with slimy assholes and date rape drogs or dead born babies

RHinSCRHinSCover 12 years ago
I liked it

I understand. He was trying to keep his wife sane after the loss of the kid. His wife has gotten over it so well that she doesn't think about it. He did not want to remind her of it every year. He was trying to prevent living with a nut for the rest of his life.

Rockyderek_caRockyderek_caover 12 years ago
His own hand

Despite her actions .. He started it with his cloak and dagger activities, he is responsible for making her become suspicious.... A bit high and mightybto leave due to her perceived lack of faith when he clearly lacked it in her too. Definetly a " better off with her or without her decision"

jasonnhjasonnhover 12 years ago
Very powerful

This feels very real to me. <br><br>

I get the husband being strong for his wife. I get the deception of him hiding his out of town actions. The wife is a little dumb to not confront him but that's a required part of the story. The PI firm told her they had proof without ever seeing a physical woman. They didn't track where the photo came from, a service? THEY screwed up. <br><br>

But, God, is hubby an unforgiving bastard. He set this in motion. His actions DID seem like he was up to something. He doesn't have the love in his heart to understand the fault of his own actions? His wife was foolish. He was hurt. In response they both did things that didn't work out so well. He had no faith in her willingness to support him when he was in such pain. That is all on him. I get it right after his daughter died but later, no counselor? no discussion with his wife? He closed himself off from all help. That is on him. Given his own contribution he can't find forgiveness? Can't even talk about it? He's an ass! <br><br>

The funny thing is that the sex is so trivial it doesn't even matter.

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
too much

it's like a tsunami of overwrought psychobabble. the characters had to make a supreme effort to be idiots.

oh, i guess that means i must be an idiot to read it (sigh)

mikothebabymikothebabyover 12 years ago
for rehnquist

bite me baby - lol - Guess I will have to dig a little deeper in my excuse bag next time.

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
DoX_ JohnDoe_X's supporters care that he's become DWornock?

I'm shocked at the hypocrisy of the feller-what a fucking traitor to Literotica.

bigguy323bigguy323over 12 years ago
I didn't like this one. It's just not my "cuppa".

I agree with some of the critics even if I disagree with the disagreeable way they said things.

They both were foolish and did really stupid things. I HATE RAAC endings, but sometimes one is justified. This may be one of those times.

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
Stupid Cheaters!

They both cheated. He cheated emotionally by lyiing to her. He created the misunderstanding. He gives no valid reason for not sharing this with her. He hurt more than her? Bullpucky! This was a shared disaster. He was selfish in this by taking off to wallow in his grief. We lost a child prematurely: I will never forget. But we shared and share the sadness for this. Now as usual the sex cheater is just too stupid to believed. She has sat around for 20 years and never said a damn thing. Please. As a plot device, stupid cheaters is geting boring. Common sense was the solution here. He is wrong: she did have faith in him but was too dumb to do anything whatever rationalization she comes up with. this is not the writers best work. I would write a follow up story whewre in fact after a year they do come back together with cooler minds and they admitt they made terrible mistakes, but in this situation they are not irrevocable errors. Couples counseling wouild have gone along wayi. IN fact I now think think their lawyers, judges, and families were all stupid, I f is was the judge, I would have forced them into counseling before granting the dissolution. In fact, I might accuse the husband of emotionallhy cheating on her: not viable under law, but too make a point. I am not sure this story can be salvaged, He is a good writer, but this plot stinks.

netviper21netviper21over 12 years ago
Not your Best Stang

This one was too depressing. He does not get the help like his wife did, cause he needed to be strong for her? She does not even remember the baby's date of death? Come on Stang, that is pushing this way out there, especially with... never mind. I voted one star, not you best, one of your worst i say.

rjordanrjordanover 12 years ago
Semi-kudos to Mikothebaby

FINALLY, Stang gets an editor. One who understands that commas have a specific purpose and more commas don't make it better. It was a noticeable improvement so I won't mention that at the top of page 4, Jim suddenly becomes Rob for a paragraph, and a few other details like that. I know, I know. Irenethehurricane ate your homework and you couldn't finish the editing. Anyway, your influence as editor was noticed.

LazylonerLazylonerover 12 years ago
I hated the husband

This time I have to say I absolutely hated the husband. He's lower than pond scum. And yet Stang doesn't have anyone else noticed just how all of this was the husband's fault.

yes, Charlotte made the mistake of talking to Carl and ended up naked and in bed with him. It's obviously contrived by the writer to give him justification for the divroce, despite the fact that Charlotte had far more justification.

consider,

1) 20 years before Charlotte ends up giving birth to a stillborn girl and discovers that she can't have any mroe children. She offers a divorce so the husband can have kids, he refuses. But by his own words not because he loves her, but because he DOESN"T WANT TO LOOK BAD. His image is more important than doing the right thing.

2) 10 years later the husband has some strange breakdown and spends the anniversary of his stillborn daughter's birth in a hotel, he even has a cake made. But he tells no one. He claims that this is because the grief is private, but what about his wife, who shares the grief. Again, the husband appears to care about his image, he has to be "STRONG." (is strong a synonym for stupid.)

3) The husband also admits that each year a few days before the anniversary he starts pushing Charlotte away, and that she asks is there is a problem. He refuses to tell her anything. NOTE: CHARLOTTE DOES CONFRONT HER HUSBAND ABOUT WHAT HE"S DOING. HE EVEN ADMITS THAT SHE DID.

4) Wife finally at the end of her rope gets a PI to investigate the husband. She also ends up allowing Carl to do her. She doesnt' deny the mistake and admits it as soon as her husband comes home. Husband says taht the affair isn't the marriage breaker, he's upset because she didn't trust him and hired the PI. Its like he's more upset that she might reveal that he's a crying wimp who 20 years after his daughter is born stillborn is still mourning.

A junk character. I can see how he got written, but for me, he's one of the ten worse cheated on husbands ever on Literotica. He deserves to be cheated on, and Charlotte deserves a great life. My biggest regret is that Charlotte's dad didnt' have the cajones to beat the husband to within an inch of his life. The man certainly deserved it.

TalonsreachTalonsreachover 12 years ago
I agree with Rocky

The neither spouse should assume the other can read their mind and figure out if there is a problem.

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
no more

as much as i like your writing i hope that you don't do any more of this story or any more like it its just not you please NO MORE

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago

Maybe I'm in the minority here but in my opinion the HUSBAND is the one who comes off looking like shit. The husband goes off on these secret weekend get aways and is mad that the wife didn't have faith in him? What wife WOULD? It may be jumping to conclusions but after so many years it makes sense that she just kind of broke. The burn the bitch crowd conveniently forgets that he LIED for 10 years.

And Carl PREYED on her. He had date rape drugs ready and he manipulated her.

And sorry NO woman would EVER forget the day her stillborn daughter died.

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
Almost a Masterpiece

StangStar,

First and foremost, I have to give you credit for vaporizing the box in which your stories normally fall. This story, yes with its flaws and missed editing (A real editor would have used a smartphone and the car charger to finish the story; it was only a Category 1 storm (kidding Miko!)), shows emotional depth and complexity that few other stories on Lit have shown me.

Jim's reaction to Shannon's death is very similar to the reaction of a character in C. S. Lewis' amazing "The Great Divorce"; the mother's love is warped slightly in her pain and agony over the death of her young son, into something where the love for the child is replaced by a compulsion to act in such a way as to never forget the child (as if a parent could honestly take such a step). The woman's almost Egyptian (historic preparation and mummification for the afterlife) way she keeps the boy's room just as it was, a decade after the boy's death, came strongly back to me as I read Jim's description of his life since Shannon's death.

Anyone wants to argue that Jim's reaction is unrealistic, take it up with Mr. Lewis.

I give this story a 5, and put a bit of hope on the record for a sequel where the couple reconcile. Neither Jim nor Charlotte are saints; hopefully each remembers that fact about the other before too much time passes.

SoCalCynic

P.S. I agree with Rehnquist - 64 1/2 - 68 are the only Mustangs!

zed0zed0over 12 years ago
Oddly Weird

I mean really, really, really, really, really, really, weird. And odd! Very, very, very, very, odd. I know fiction is not supposed to be true, but it should be somewhat believable. Ah well, hang in there, and just remember you don't have to write something every week.

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
The wife did a baddy, but the husband was a whacko.

Let me get this straight. He lies to his wife for ten years about going out of town, when what he's really doing is talking to, and blubbering over, a computer-rendered photo, and then says that she should have had faith in him? The guy comes off like a total nut job.

What's truly unbelievable is not only her families' reaction to this, but her own reaction. The whole group should have been banding together to get the fruit loop involuntarily committed, or at least into intense therapy, yet they all blame her for not having faith in her lying, and mentally damaged, husband.

Sorry Stangstar. Normally I love your stuff, but this one is way, way, beyond the realm of even remote credibility. Really needs to be gone over and partially re-written.

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
Wow that was bad

I normally look forward to your stories but please bury this one. It was by far the worst story you have ever written.

digdaddyrichdigdaddyrichover 12 years ago
Really a sad story

A stupid wife, and a husband that didn't think his wife would want to help him in his trouble.

Sad all around.

michael1950michael1950over 12 years ago
I had to think on this one.

Normally your stories seem a little more erotic or suspensfull, this one sucked big time. The husband is an emotionally stunted idiot. So it is o.k. for him to hide his grief from his wife for 20 years, but for her to get suspicious for his behavoir over the last ten years, really one sided asshole if you ask me, sure carl was an asswipe, getting what he deserved, I think you care more for those crappy Mustangs than for humans, oh and forget any realistic forms of communication with a wife who strayed, you seem way to insensitive for people, just curl up in a crappy mustang and suck your thumb. Give me a vehicle with real power like an SR71, or a Titan 2 rocket. And as for her sister, getting her panties in a bunch, no love lost there. With friends like the ones they had, no loss at all. this needed a rewrite, and flesh out the characters more, and for God's sake communicate with the wife instead of being a stubborn asswipe like the husband usually is.

TavadelphinTavadelphinover 12 years ago
Incredibly painful story -

She was not a real winner but she was not evil or vicious or malicious - a bit stupid and dense.

He was beyond foolish - he was willing to be deceitful (whatever the reason), devious, is unstable at best, stupid and dense too.

Both only saw their relationship from their own side never considering or consulting the other both need the counseling, support group etc. They probably also belong together either to help each other survive or protect the general public from them both.

Well thought out and thought provoking story - much subtlety and subtext - thanks -

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
WHAT!!!!!

he is leaving her becouse she had no faith in him?letts look at the score card.1...he lies about where he is going 2,,,there is marital carnage going on in the couples all around them. 3,,he always acts strange when he comes home.wake up stang!!any one not in a comma would be suspicous.this is totally one side even for you.

lonewolf3307lonewolf3307over 12 years ago
I liked it!

Sometimes it's better late than never. Maybe that will hold true for Charlotte. One thing is for sure, though. If stupidity was a hanging offense, she would definitely be dangling from a rope.

obtusemanobtusemanover 12 years ago
This is the first poor rating I've given you.

Took me three attempts to finish this and when I did I was struck by the utter ridiculousness of the characters. The only believable one was the sister who can take every situation and revolve it around her (I guess we all have them in our families). The premise is absurd: from the idiotic wife who 'accidentally' is tricked into sex to the husband who has a computer generated photo of a still birth child aged 20 years, that he takes to a motel for the weekend to mourn. I don't think a story could get stupider.

Thank you for all your contributions. Putting something out every Thursday is phenomenal. I like your work but you blew it big time with this one.

fausttusfausttusover 12 years ago
stop listening to the jerks who comment Anonymous

What the heck? I even thought the husband was having an affair. And I know in your stories that NEVER happens.

She might not be the sharpest caryon in the box. but please... could you rewrite this one or add a part 2.

something.

thanks.

Still a fan though....

thanks for the stories

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
Nobody to talk to?

When Jim said that he could talk to nobody about his grief for Shannon, I found his words difficult to believe. Couldn't he have visited a psychologist or a therapist to get help, even though he couldn't talk to his wife about this?

FD45FD45over 12 years ago
I guess I'm not very smart

Reading the comment section, I just didn't see it the way they did. Lots of valid points made.

My issue was a meta writing issue of contrivance. I saw this plot coming a mile away. I didn't know WHAT it was since the baby thing got dropped on us at the very last second, but I knew it was coming.

I agree on the Carl issue. Not realistic.

I never saw the trust double standard and I feel like a moron for not seeing it. But the husband probably doesn't either. He feels like he's being noble and selfless and good by having a bender with his desceased daughter every year, not that he's cheating or behaving in an untrustowrthy way at all.

The other big thing that stuck out with me was leaping from first to third person. Your paragraph blocking has much improved however.

But none of this says how I liked the story. I read it without stop. People behaving irrationally DO do stupid things and none of the things I read was deserving of a Darwin award. My main gripe was being able to see the rails of the story.

I found the ending imagery of the wife, desperate to reconcile with her husband meeting him at the grave site to be FUCKING INCREDIBLE! Just to leave that image standing, I'd say never write a sequel.

MissouriUSAMissouriUSAover 12 years ago
SS06 you are on my favorite authors list, but...

This story just felt manufactured and forced. To me it had the feel of an assembly line where this story sat between the story from the week before and the next story for the week ahead.

Yes the scenario was interesting. Yes there was a cheating wife. Yes there were plenty of other factors, e.g. private detective, the husband beating up the boyfriend, no communication between the spouses, etc. The story definitely qualified for a loving wives entry on Lit.

But it also had too many paragraphs where there was simply no dialogue between the characters. The first page of the story was difficult to get through because most of it was just text that began to drag on.

And the story didn't have any characters that the reader could give a shit about. There was the cheated upon husband, who as the hero, was a self righteous ass drowning in his own self pity. The cheating wife, as they sometimes are in your stories, no offense intended, is extraordinarily stupid this week.

Unlike other commentators, I don't see the need for a sequel. The main characters would have to be rehabilitated and I wonder if it could be done on the assembly line for next week's schedule. The characters just aren't sympathetic enough to know anything more about.

MissouriUSA

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
FOWL BALL

of all the home runs and three bagers you have hit this one is a foul ball . if ever a part 2 or squeal was ever in order this one screams for it. at one level the story is a one star on other levels it could be 3-4 . he has every right to mourn but the privacy and secretive nature of his actions justify her apprehension ( action ether supposed or implied are considered real ) not infidelity. and ever as hard nosed as i am they need to talk and counseling of a clergy.

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
Yeah

Not your best...

The husband in this story is by far one of the biggest soft-cocks in all your stories. What a fucking wuss!!! I believe you need to actually attend and graduate with honours from wimp school to be this sensitive.

He mourns a daughter by himself?!?!? And he believes he has any fucking right in the world to hide this from his wife? The woman who gave birth to his dead child?!?!?! This fuckwit is so soft he doesn't deserve to breathe our oxygen!

I'll bet that's why he's so dammed much in love with his Mustang, so that he can run away from his problems just that little bit faster...

Cries himself to sleep at night, what the fuck is his wife supposed to think? Okay, she was no rocket scientist herself, but at least her remorse for her fuck up was real.

As much as I dislike a cheating wife, I have to admit that in this case, the idiot husband does not in any way even deserve this wife.

tazz317tazz317over 12 years ago
THE 7 WORDS

ARE ACTUALLY 8.....AND NOW ITS SEPTEMBER AGAIN. TK U MLJ LV NV

juderboyjuderboyover 12 years ago
One more time

If you are chicken shit enough to bash a story, or author, have the balls to put your name to it. Notice that most of the comments with names attached to them like the story and the author. This story wasn't his best, but god get a life. Any author wants comments and feedback. Let him know who you are.

Stangstar06, I love your stuff. Keep writing.

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
One more time

Whether or not the tag reads "anon" or "duderboy" makes no diff: how anyone could think having a nickname makes you not anonymous is beyond comprehension.

StangStar06 is one of the best authors here, the best currently submitting, and if it wasn't for his contributions to this category it would be a wasteland of moronic misogyny.

Keep writing SS06

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
not up to stang standard

the ending is opposite of the story. Loves her so much that he carries the burden for both of them, forgives her for her mistake, but does not see that she is torn up about it? And leaves because of trust? come on. More likely he would see that she subconsciously knew Sept. 1 was an important date, and blocked it because of all of the shielding he provided to her in getting over the tragedy. As a result, she resorted to thinking the reason he was gone was an affair. His shielding her from all of the pain, caused her to hide the pain deep inside. He is as much, if not more at fault, then she is. He left, not because she didn't trust him, but because he was resentful that he had gotten her to surpress her memories, but he could not surpress his own. And, because of that, he couldn't or wouldn't talk to her about his problems. feeling resentful resulted in his not being able to talk about it with her, which just breed more resentment. He is the bad guy, not her. He let the communication fail.

roscovichroscovichover 12 years ago
I was always envious of Artists whom can put such an emotions in the story in such a wonderful way.

What makes me sad is the fact that I would never be able to achieve this.But then 99.99% of all so called writers could not eighter. What a superb entertainment. Thanks Stang.

roscovichroscovichover 12 years ago
I re-read the story again, just to brighten my week.

The genius of this author is just unbelievable. There is simply no reference anywhere on this site. So...Immaculate.

AnonymousAnonymousover 12 years ago
EGOIST MALE CHAUVINIST!

I TOTALLY AGREE WITH THIS COMMENT:

the ending is opposite of the story. Loves her so much that he carries the burden for both of them, forgives her for her mistake, but does not see that she is torn up about it? And leaves because of trust? come on. More likely he would see that she subconsciously knew Sept. 1 was an important date, and blocked it because of all of the shielding he provided to her in getting over the tragedy. As a result, she resorted to thinking the reason he was gone was an affair. His shielding her from all of the pain, caused her to hide the pain deep inside. He is as much, if not more at fault, then she is. He left, not because she didn't trust him, but because he was resentful that he had gotten her to surpress her memories, but he could not surpress his own. And, because of that, he couldn't or wouldn't talk to her about his problems. feeling resentful resulted in his not being able to talk about it with her, which just breed more resentment. He is the bad guy, not her. He let the communication fail.

holydemon00holydemon00over 12 years ago
Second Double-standard

The double-standard that he allows himself to bear all the burden by himself and withheld his OWN problem from his wife. He didn't trust her with his issues, exactly like how she didn't trust him with hers. And that pathetically self-righteous family of hers bought that little sob story and jumped on every chance to torment their daughters.

I wouldn't mind seeing those 2 miserable people putting down their own egos to patch things up in a sequel.

martinieremartiniereover 12 years ago

lol the young processor who shows up in a few of these stories is now my favorite cameo XD

TavadelphinTavadelphinabout 12 years ago
Re-read it -

Still like it a lot -

Shorter critique this time - he lied not her - he betrayed her trust first - they both need help -

I still love the way you wrote it thank you

PeikPeikabout 12 years ago
this story is different

because first time i wish that husband and wife go back together and be happy ever after. OK maybe not first time I feel that is chance for them but is first case I wish you wright another part of this story where they get over this all mess and get back the happiness they both deserve

ValerionValerionalmost 12 years ago
Sequel?

I'd really like to see a second part to this. Very much.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 12 years ago
Th ending is the best part

Great commentary on how we can take for granted a great spouse and their love and all the while we aren't aware of what they really feel. The eposode with Carl was hard to stomach and hard to understand how a loving wife could be so gullible and easily maninpultated. Carl was not a master lover or a experienced seducer what he was was an opportunistic predator, a real scum. Stangstar has a gift for good story telling may he write a lot more.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 12 years ago

What she did is cheating, tricked or not, but what he did was infinitely worse, emotionally cheating on her and refusing to share the most intimate part of his life with her, the loss of their unborn daughter. He talks about trust, but he violated the absolute core of it. It feels like he's getting revenge on her for the loss of their daughter and her inability to have children after word. What a nasty little bastard.

He did that for 10 years. How can he justify shutting his wife out like that? How can he rationalize demanding that she trust him without compromise when he refuses to do the same for her.

This is one of your few stories where I'm actually sympathetic to the cheating bitch, simply because her husband broke their relationship first by shutting her out. The loss of a child in birth like that cuts the mother a hell of a lot deeper than the father.

I don't know if you meant to write him that way, Stang, but it's definitely different and rating it four stars for your apparent skill in doing what few other authors have done - making the cheating wife a sympathetic character. He's a major asshole for using the excuse of their daughter's death to stop loving his wife. I could sympathize with him if it were about the cheating but that's just so incredibly wrong. Shannon, had she grown up to be the adult he wanted her to be, would never have wanted that.

tazz317tazz317almost 12 years ago
#2 NEVER....EVER.....NEVER

selfishness and lack of trust is a track to turmoil. TK U MLJ LV NV

AnonymousAnonymousover 11 years ago

need another chapter

AnonymousAnonymousover 11 years ago
low score

but a great story. gave u a 5.

AnonymousAnonymousover 11 years ago
Unbelievable

Was the wife mentally handicapped? She must have been to buy anything Carl was selling--that or you don't have a high opinion of women. And her family turns on her in a flash? Please. Think in all the years her sad sack of a husband might have shared what he was doing? Might have helped.

This was crap from start to finish.

gyjunkiegyjunkieover 11 years ago
That's it, they're both morons.

You usually give us a story which is very black and white. This one goes into the gray area. Both parties in this story were wrong. Trust was not shown by either party. She cheated physically, but he cheated on her emotionally. They did not talk about what was bothering them. Communication could have stopped this disaster from happening. This is one of the few time I think a reconciliation is possible. A lot of professional and family help may be able to bring them together.

AnonymousAnonymousover 11 years ago
GyJunkie is just Wrong

he never cheated on her emotionally. You must be a wimp. Men traditionally do not show their emotions like women. Secondly the wife was an emotional mess and was unhinged after losing the baby. How could the man who was trying to hold it all together throw that back at her to help him resolve it. Your just not real smart. She was self centered. Her depression was all of her making and he was holding it together for the both of them. You want to somehow equate emotional cheating to physical cheating. Again not very smart. Well, just say stupid. He grieved quietly while she spread her legs and did not trust him. It was an issue of trust. Self centered people have trust issues. She cheated she paid and deserved exactly what she got. Title of Whore!

AnonymousAnonymousover 11 years ago
2nd part

need a 2nd chapter left to much hanging

1Thinkingman1Thinkingmanover 11 years ago
Just read this

This story screams for reconciliation. And it deserves it. I gave this *****

pumpop201pumpop201about 11 years ago
Reconciliation?

Another great story. Thanks. However it does need another chapter telling about their reconciliation.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 11 years ago
What a bunch of.......

So for twenty years he NEVER shares his feelings with his wife? I mean OVER THE TOP feelings. He just bottles it up, not thinking his wife might be suffering? In my book, he is the bastard in this story. And he continues to be "in his mind" the nice guy? Sending extra money, sending roses on her birthday and keeping track of her life thru her parents (whom, by the way, should not be talking to him at all.) He's not the good guy, he's the coward who ran away, rather than staying and getting professional help for himself and their marriage. And you told it well enough to make me want to kick the crap out of him.

phil2213phil2213almost 11 years ago
This is a total crock

Cmon ten years of grief in tow and not a single conversation til the arrogant prick taunts his emotionally distraught wife without a word of explanation. Where do people like this exist? I have enjoyed many of your stories but this is totally over the top. Charlotte was severely a victim of mental abuse at the worst level. She is lucky to be rid of a prick that would be so full of himself that he refused to console Charlotte when she was obviously busting with distress. No couple whether married or not should be so into themselves that they not share their feelings. This is the ultimate violation of trust and loyalty.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 11 years ago
2 nd

needs a 2nd chapter to complete story

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 11 years ago
messed up

he is messed up in the head just like she was. he never got over the death.

he never made his peace with the death. every year he would lie to his wife.

she did wrong and so did he.

semofuncpl3semofuncpl3over 10 years ago
One totally messed up dude

Surprised he doesn't have a room in the house made up to be her room. complete with new clothes every year. And he was having an affair. It was all emotional but an affair all the same.

AnonymousAnonymousover 10 years ago
sorry

I'm 63 and have never met anyone quite as stupid as the wife. Please, give us a little believability. No rating because I couldn't read past page 2.

AnonymousAnonymousover 10 years ago
Apologies

Had to do this:

September1, Charlotte arrived early in the morning. She had to ensure she got there before Jim.

Hestitantly she approached Shannon. Tears streamed at what could have been. Tears streamed at her selfishness. Tears streamed for her husband. Tears that never should have happened, streamed down, and down.

She learned too late to stop the divorce, yet she prayed not to late to begin anew. Not rekindle but begin anew.

She knelt and kissed the headstone, "I'm so sorry Shannon."

Somber was the walk back to her car. She got in to wait. She looked at her phone, absentmindedly strumming through the memories, more tears fell for she never knew or cared to know the pain her beloved hid from her. She closed her eyes and drifted into a dream world where husband wife and daughter lived and loved the way a family should.

A car door echoed in the misty morn. Charlotte snapped awake her heart leaped, it was Jim, her Jim. He walked slowly to Shannon, a bouquet of flowers in his hand. She stirred when she saw his hand start to tremble as he got closer. Soon it shook violently. Her heart crashed when she saw him lean down and kiss the very spot she had a few short hours before.

Quietly she reached for her large handbag and stepped out if the car. She walked to the form knelt at the stone. Cheeks wet with remorse also burned with hope. Slowly tentatively she touched his shoulder.

A hand reached up and fingers intertwined.

"Hello Charlotte."

Charlotte knelt down, her arms wrapped around Jim and she cried. A gentle rain began to fall, and mingled with the salty wetness of their cheeks.

"I'm am glad you came to visit."

"I should have long ago."

"We made mistakes. I should have told you, not shielded you."

"I could have talked with you too. I let my selfishness ruin us, I let you and us down."

"I would have listened, you know?"

"Woulda, coulda, shoulda," she whispered.

"Yes, on both of us."

He got up, and helped her to her feet. Together they looked at the headstone. She reached into her large bag and pulled out a package wrapped in plain brown paper.

"For you."

"Charlotte, why?"

"For you, and for us."

Jim opened it, and gasped. Sobs wracked him as the soft rain ended. He looked at Charlotte, and could not speak. He brushed the glass pulled it to his heart closed his eyes. His lips turned up into a small smile. He opened his eyes, and placed his arm around her. He held the object so they could look together at the the family smiling at them .

Charlotte in her misguided anger tore the picture of their computer aged daughter devastating her Jim. She wanted to make it up and had a family portrait made when Shannon would have been thirteen. It was the least she could do for him.

"Thank you Charlotte, thank you."

She squeezed his hand and turned to leave. He didn't let go. She turned back and looked at him. He opened his arms and invited her home.

***

Yes a reconcile, the loss of a child whether by death or disability can cause major emotional upheaval. I felt it. So cry and scream all you btb's.

This was right.

M1

AnonymousAnonymousover 10 years ago

What utter garbage, he divorces her for not having faith in him after 10 fucking years of his lying to her, what about his faith in her? Did she not deserve to know what he was going through> asshole

AnonymousAnonymousover 10 years ago
I won't sign this because I don't want people to see the bad side of me.

If either of these two idiots would have communicated or tried to communicate with each other this could have all been avoided. Just kill yourselves, now, if you are still too afraid to communicate and then to help the other to heal.

I am glad this was just a story because it would depress the hell out of me if it had been real, actually it depressed me anyway. No happy endings here, just a world of misery for each of them.

TMSPTGR3TMSPTGR3over 10 years ago
Ditto on "One Messed Up Dude"

Very weird male character. He needs a lot of counseling. Its very hard to be sympathetic with either character, he's pretty wacked out and she has a "revenge" affair without ever talking to him. Still, after doing everything except skipping down the street chanting "I'm having an affair," its hard to think of him as anything other than a sick sanctimonious jerk. In real advanced psychology courses you study sicko problems under the rubric of Abnormal Psychology. This smells like one of those case histories. If it had been treated as a case study in abnormal psychology, it would have been very interesting. Playing it as a revenge fuck story with an odd twist on the mistaken actions of hubby is just "eh." 3*?

AnonymousAnonymousover 10 years ago
THAT SUCKED

She did suicide rather than chase him down. She was the love of his life and even though she was stupid,he should already have known that after twenty years. I like your stuff and yes the new mustang is better looking than than the new camaro and better yet it will have an indapendent suspenstion for it's 50th. Yes she was self centered so was he.

12
Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous