Nights in Rodan Ch. 04

Story Info
An unexpected engagement and a secret revealed.
7.9k words
4.65
8.2k
6

Part 5 of the 7 part series

Updated 09/22/2022
Created 01/19/2014
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

She woke just after dawn; the first thing she saw was a stone ceiling. She sat up and was surprisingly not in any pain, her head didn't even hurt. She lifted the sheet and saw her smooth stomach marked by a scar, she pressed on it lightly and it felt as if she'd had it her whole life. She sighed with relief. Wren was sprawled on the foot of the bed as if he belonged there. She smiled at him, her loyal companion. The bed was a large four post style with a canopy; there were sheer white curtains all around her. She pulled one back and peered out at the room. There were large tapestries on the walls, beautiful mutely colored rugs on the floor, and comfortable chairs in front of a roaring fireplace.

"Morning" a deep voice addressed her.

She gasped and pulled the sheet around her almost naked body but one leg hung out of the side. She saw Prince Rayn in a chair by the fire. He looked like he had slept there all night, served him right for being such an ass, she thought.

"Where are my clothes?" she asked.

"I sent them to be cleaned." he stood and strode towards her purposefully.

She looked up at him as he stood next to the bed. She felt nervous; he'd been so callous to her the last few days. He stood there quietly and she pulled the sheet around her torso even tighter, wrapping it around her back as if it were a robe.

"I'll send for some proper clothing for you. You can't wear your traveling clothes to see the King." He was serious.

"I'm sorry." She blurted out.

"For what exactly?" he looked at her curiously as he spoke.

"For never thanking you for saving my life, I really do appreciate it." Her voice was earnest.

"I know." He responded tenderly.

"Um, did you..." She pointed at herself and he smiled.

"No, that was the healer. I only removed your boots." His smile grew and she noticed for the first time his face actually lighten. He looked even more attractive than usual. "You know, in Oneandra a woman isn't judged by her virtue." He stroked his hand up her bare leg and his smile became a little sinister.

Just when she thought he was becoming nicer he pulled a stunt like that. She smacked his hand away; he feigned pain and smiled at her, "Easy little warrior."

She sighed, damn him. Why was he so playful now?

"I would like to bathe before I see the King." she changed the subject and he walked to the door, disengaging her.

"I highly suggest you do." He said, before he opened the door.

An attendant appeared, dressed in a simple shift and carrying a pile of clothes. Rayn gestured to the young woman and looked at Leni, "She will help you get ready."

And just like that he was gone. Leni greeted the petite brown haired girl, her name was Mary, and asked where the bath was. Mary drew the warm water for her and told her she would lay out a dress on the bed. Leni thanked her and Mary disappeared out the door after assuring her that she would be back to help her dress herself. She rolled her eyes after the door closed, she'd been dressing herself all her life, it wasn't about to change now.

Leni sank into the warm stone bath and sighed. It was the largest and nicest bath she remembered ever seeing. The stone pit was sunk into the floor and had three steps at one end, there was a ledge halfway down that encircled the entire pit for sitting and bathing. As she soaked she realized it was the first time in a week she had been completely alone. It felt liberating. She washed slowly, savoring the warm water. She fretted over Lukas, and cried when she realized she may never see him again. She quietly prayed to the gods for a merciful decision from the King. She combed her wet hair and was stepping out of the bath when the door opened again.

She expected it to be Mary so she draped the fancy black dressing robe that had been left for her around her shoulders but didn't close it over her body.

It was Rayn, and she cursed and turned away as she pulled the robe around her and tied it tightly, "Don't you knock?"

When she turned around she noticed how different he looked, how princely he really was. He was clean shaven, revealing that strong square jaw she liked so much on him. He wore clean clothes and shiny black boots. Wren was at his feet, wiggling his nub of a tail and thrilled to see him. She secretly hated that her dog seemed to adore Rayn even though she didn't always like him.

"I am here to escort you to the throne room." He raised his dark eyebrows at her.

"Well I am not ready yet." She bowed her head low and looked for the slippers Mary left for her.

"That's fine, but the King will be expecting you to curtsey" he was in a good mood seeing her like this, but her head snapped back up and she glared at him.

Mary rushed into the room with a breakfast tray and sat it on the table by the fire.

"I'll wait." Rayn assured Leni and then he took a seat by the fire.

Mary brought her dress and underclothes into the bath and she dressed in there. Gods that man was exasperating! She didn't know why Mary insisted on so many layers under her dress but she didn't argue. The thing was too low cut for her taste but she knew she didn't have any other options. The fabric was deep navy with silver trim and it hugged her tall frame nicely. She tried not to dwell on how beautiful it was; she wanted to get this whole day over with. She lied to Rayn and told him she wasn't hungry but the look on his face told her that he didn't believe her. She sighed, ate a few bites and said she was done. She gave the meat to Wren and he gobbled it down eagerly.

Seeing her cleaned up in a dress made a big impression on Rayn. He had steeled his nerves for today but when he saw her for the first time in the navy dress he almost let his emotions get the best of him. She was absolutely stunning; she really did look like a Princess. After it dried her hair was shining, her skin looked soft, and the dress showed off her elegant figure perfectly. He offered her his arm and she took it without complaint. She was ready to see what fate had in store for her.

They got to the throne room she nervously curtsied to the King. Kieran was already there and she couldn't help but think he had never looked quite as tense as he did right now, it must be bad news. She noticed immediately that Rayn didn't resemble his father, except for the jaw line. King Grey Mollach had once been fair haired but now he was as his name suggested, grey. He stared at her for a long while before he finally spoke.

"I have decided to spare your life," he declared, "but only if you renounce your birthright publicly, and marry Kieran Lichen."

She couldn't hide the shock on her face. Marry....Kieran? She looked up at Rayn and he seemed just as shocked she was, and he looked downright angry. It took her a long time to answer, but she knew she had to accept the conditions if she wanted to keep herself and her son alive.

"Whatever my King wishes will be done," her voice was strong and clear.

"Good, now I want you to learn to control this wild magic you've been suppressing. I'm told you are very powerful although I have my doubts. After hearing a full report of your activities in the forest I would like to know for myself." He was condescending, now she knew where Rayn got it from, "I am a busy man, Kieran you are dismissed. Take your fiancée with you. I would like to speak to my son privately."

She felt like a child who had just been slapped. The heavy doors closed with a thud behind them. She looked up at the sky and thanked the gods for letting her keep her head.

"What on Earth did you tell him, Kieran?" she asked him, half angry and half grateful.

"I told him you were too valuable to lose and he happened to agree. I don't know where he got the marriage idea from; he probably wants to make you an ally instead of an enemy. You should be glad for that." He seemed irritated.

"I am glad. Thank you for convincing him to be so lenient." She put her hand on his arm, "will you walk me to my room, I'm not sure I could find it again."

"Of course," his face cracked into a warm smile. She noticed for the first time how handsome he was. His closely cropped blonde hair suited his sharp features. His blue eyes twinkled when he smiled. She could live with this arrangement, and hoped he felt the same. She didn't love him and she wasn't very strongly attracted to him, but maybe in time that would change. She sighed absently.

"Are you alright?" he was concerned.

"Yes, it's just a lot to comprehend. Only a week ago I was living on my own in the city and now I'm here." She gestured to the castle around them.

"I understand," he nodded in agreement. At least he was more agreeable than Rayn had ever been. They arrived at her chambers and she invited him in to sit with her. They considered each other in front of the fire while Wren napped lazily on the large rug in front of it.

"Can you live with this?" he asked her earnestly, he didn't want her to feel trapped.

"Yes, "she nodded and stared into the flames.

"I have to warn you, I live in the barracks with the other soldiers and I don't have a household of my own because there was never a need. I will stay here with you until I make other arrangements for us. The King wants to keep you here until we are officially married. I think he might be a little afraid of you." He winked at her causing her to grin, "Riley and the scholar Ramsey are going to teach you to use your magic properly. They will be here in a little awhile."

"That's going to be interesting. I hope they plan to do it outside, I'd hate to break anything." She was a little worried but Kieran leaned forward and affectionately stroked her wrist with his thumb.

"You will be fine. They are both great teachers." His blue eyes searched hers before he continued, "I have to go take care of some things. I will see you this evening." He got up and turned to leave and she rose from her chair. He turned back towards her, froze for a moment and then kissed her forehead gently. She smiled, it was sweet and a little awkward but she guessed as time passed they would get more comfortable. She worried what he would say when she revealed her secret; would he be angry with her? Would he leave her vulnerable to the King's whims? She squelched the thought immediately, he was a good man and would never do that to her.

He hadn't been gone for more than few minutes when her door burst open causing her to jump. Rayn was in a rage, he slammed the door behind him.

"This is what you planned all along, isn't it, you worked this out with him ahead of time didn't you?" he jabbed his finger at her.

"We didn't plan anything," she said defensively.

"I have told you before," he pulled her out of the chair by her arm "you will address me properly." His voice was low and threatening, the golden flecks in his eyes flashed like they always did when he was angry with her.

"I didn't plan anything, Your Highness," she hissed. He shoved her back down into her chair and ran his hand through his hair.

"You can't act like nothing happened," he ground out.

"I never asked for any of this to happen to me, I have no choice now. I have to do what your father says, Your Highness." She didn't care of he didn't like her tone.

"You sarcastic little..." he started to raise his hand and then dropped it. He clenched his teeth and growled instead of finishing his sentence. He turned and paced the floor at the foot of the bed.

"Please, I didn't mean for this to happen. I just wanted to go home," she didn't want to inflame his temper any more than it was already. He was being irriational. She got up from her seat and interrupted his pacing. She placed her hand on his arm, she could feel his anger and hurt rolling off of him.

"I have no other choice, I know you know that." She said softly, she looked up at him, willing him to understand and hoping for him to forgive her. He turned around, walked a few steps away from her and pounded his fist on the table in frustration making her jump.

"I'm sorry." She shook her head, almost in tears.

He took several deep breaths and turned to look at her. The hurt was written all over his features. Her heart leapt; he had really cared for her. He strode purposefully to where she stood. He considered her for a moment, her beautiful face creased with worry.

He had to do it, just one more time.

He stroked her face gently and let his hand casually fall to the back of her neck. She looked up at him, her stormy blue eyes seared into his flesh so easily. He pulled her waist to him with his free hand and kissed her intensely. The fire in his gut roared, she clutched his shoulders just like she had that night in the forest when he'd almost lost her. He thought she would push him away but she pressed her whole body against his. Her smell overwhelmed him, sweet and fresh. He prodded her lips gently with his tongue. She acquiesced to him and let her head fall back and her mouth open slightly. He invaded her mouth with his and she moaned softly at his touch, driving him wild with desire. She let him kiss her long and hard, the way he wanted to. She raised her hands to his neck, and the feel of her soft hands on his skin was electric. She pulled back to take a breath and his lips met her temple softly.

"We shouldn't," she whispered.

"I know." He whispered and kissed her behind her ear gently. He felt her body trembling and he knew she felt everything just as strongly as he did. If he didn't leave now he was afraid he'd throw her onto the bed and rip the dress off her perfect body so he could slide between her soft thighs. He slid his hand farther into her hair and inhaled her scent; he'd probably never be this close to her again. It was a cruel tease. She was panting, her lips were flushed pink, and her cheeks were warm. "Just do one thing for me, I'll only ask it of you one time." He whispered to her ear.

"What is it?" she whispered back.

"Say my name." he commanded her.

She nuzzled her face into his neck and kissed him there almost making him lose his mind. His erection pressed against her stomach as he groaned and pulled her hips into him.

"Rayn, please." She kept kissing his neck making him wild, oh gods he was going to lose it. His control held on by a thread. He kissed her lips again, for the last time. She completely surrendered to him, if only she had done this sooner. He tore himself away from her embrace, even though every ounce of his body screamed not to. "Rayn..." she started to reach for him.

"We can't." he cut her off, and he hated to do it. Her perfect mouth saying his name was too much for him to handle. He saw tears well up in her eyes, but to her credit she didn't let them escape. He swept past her and walked out the door, it was the hardest thing he'd ever done.

After the door shut behind him Eleanor let the tears come. She threw herself down onto the bed and pounded it with her fist. It wasn't fair, her life was not her own anymore. She screamed into the pillow out of grief, guilt, and powerlessness. She stared into the fire and slowly her breathing became normal again. She straightened her dress and smoothed down her wild red waves. Ramsey and Riley would be here soon, and Riley would know if something was wrong, he was perceptive that way. She rinsed her face with warm water and patted it dry. She hoped the puffiness was gone when she heard a knock on the door.

"Enter" she called out as she quickly arranged herself in a chair.

Riley entered, smiled, and said, "Come with me, we're going to see the scholar."

He walked her down the corridor and up a winding staircase to a large circular room, it was strewn with papers, parchments, scrolls and books all over several tables. The walls were lined with shelves where rows of neatly stacked books rested. She'd never seen anything like it. An older man with smooth silver hair and a pointed beard greeted them. His round spectacles perched on his wide nose like a crow.

"Come, sit down child." He gestured to a chair at one of his tables; his blue eyes twinkled when she smiled at him politely. He took her hand in his and kissed the back gracefully. Her smile grew wider.

"My name is Ramsey, and it is a pleasure to meet you." He said pleasantly as she sat down.

"My name is Eleanor, and it is wonderful to meet you." she was genuinely surprised at how much she liked the man already. He set a small book in front of her.

"I want you to read this; you may keep it in your chambers. It's time for you to learn the power behind your magic and how to control it." He smiled and sat down across from her. Riley seated himself on her left.

They talked for over an hour. Ramsey explained how powerful her father had been and what long term intense emotion could do to a person with so much magical power. It was so strange hearing other people describe her father; she still didn't remember very much about him and even being in the castle hadn't jogged her memories yet. Riley's eyes were sad when she described her last memories of him.

"Your father was powerful, and well respected. Many people in Oneandra thought we should leave Rodan be but, the plains raiders lost faith in him and the entire area became unstable. King Mollach felt they were a threat to Oneandra," He said.

She listened to him carefully and noted how unsure he seemed while he was speaking, like he shouldn't have told her. He changed the subject quickly.

"Rayn told me what happened in the hot spring when you were frightened, and what happened in the clearing with the raider who tried to take you. Ramsey and I think you have a type of rare offensive magic, which you used to protect yourself when you were in extreme distress. However, we haven't figured out how you can change the expression of it, or rather how you managed to throw Rayn back away from you but with the raider your skin burned him. That is what we have to teach you to control, which type of magic you use in each situation." He laid his hands out on the table.

"Can you use magic, Ramsey?" she asked.

"No my dear, I can only educate you in the method. That is why Riley is here." He sat back in his chair, relaxed.

"You know that I am a healer already, although I have never perfected it. I learned out of necessity. It is not my strongest attribute." He went onto explain that each person could use different types of magic but there was usually one kind, maybe two in some cases that a person would naturally gravitate towards and be better at than any other types.

"So what kind of magic are you really good at?" she was very curious now.

"I am the best at telekinetic magic. I can make people do things, control them. In the same way Ryan used a spell to restrain you the first day you were with us, I can do that with my mind, I don't need a spell." He said slowly, she could tell he was waiting for her to react.

She tried not to let it show, but that kind of power frightened her. He continued, "Don't worry it only works on people who do not have any magical inclinations, like Ramsey, for instance."

Ramsey suddenly rose from the table and shut the door before sitting back down. He looked at her and said, "See?" before relaxing again and letting out a chortle.

She almost jumped backwards out of her chair when she looked at Riley. His face was suddenly serious and his blue eyes were very focused. She realized he had been controlling Ramsey.

"What type of magic is Rayn good at?" she was very curious now.

"He's an empath, he can sense people's emotions, feelings, or thoughts, and sometimes influence them if they open their mind to it. He's especially good at reading emotions of others with magic power. It still works on people without it although not as well, it's more of a shadowed impression of what they are feeling." Ah, so that explained how he could calm her by putting his hand on her, and probably how he drove her absolutely out of her mind with desire when he kissed her.