Nights in Rodan Ch. 05

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Why hasn't he allowed us to get married yet? He was the one who pushed us both into this." She was starting to get suspicious.

Kieran rolled over to look at her, "What are you saying exactly?" he asked.

"I'm saying I don't trust him," she whispered.

"Eleanor, you need to be careful. Being my fiancé doesn't afford you very much safety. If he feels you are a threat, he will kill you." he was very serious.

"I know, but something doesn't feel right." She took his hand.

He sighed and started to say something but didn't finish.

"What Kieran, tell me?" she implored.

"Go to sleep," he whispered to her, he rolled over and pulled her in close. She had to admit, she had really missed falling asleep with someone every night. They had not been intimate again but he was comforting to be with and that was enough for her right now. It took her almost an hour to finally fall asleep. Her thoughts were darting around her brain, making it impossible to relax.

**

The next afternoon Rayn found her on the target field. She was considering practicing her magic by herself but he asked her to come with him and said he had something to show her. She asked him why but he wouldn't tell her, she was very hesitant to go with him since she had been avoiding him. He was insistent that she come with him. His face was cross but his voice was kind.

"Just come with me, Eleanor, " his eyes pleaded and she acquiesced to his request.

"Come Wren," she called after her dog, and followed Rayn to a place she'd never been before.

When they arrived there were only a few people around. Some of them looked at her knowingly. She hadn't had any contact with anyone in the castle other than a handful of people, and she certainly hadn't met any other women. It never occurred to her she might be the subject of idle gossip.

She was in the most beautiful and well kept barn she had ever seen. She marveled at each horse as she passed the mahogany stalls, the floor spotless, and the tack polished to high shine. These were elegant, refined, perfectly conditioned and maintained animals. She guessed for entertainment purposes or for parades. Rayn watched her closely as she greeted each horse who stuck its head out over the stall doors. She had a way about her; he had noticed in the forest how riding suited her naturally. Noblewomen would never be caught dead here, it wasn't "proper". He hoped maybe being here would give her a sense of purpose and help her not feel so alone.

"They're perfect," she observed quietly as she stroked her hand down the face of a light grey horse. It nuzzled her hand and pockets, looking for food. She smiled at the animal in amusement.

"I hoped you would enjoy seeing this," Rayn told her, he tried to remain stoic but his voice betrayed him. He loved seeing her like this, she was in her element.

"I do, I love it," she turned to him smiling, "what am I supposed to do here?" she asked. It was all well and good to spend time in a place like this, but she was happiest with the wind whipping her face lightly as she rode at a furious pace across an open field.

"I have arranged with the Schoolmaster for you to help exercise the horses. I told him you needed to get outside more often and you were gifted at this sort of thing," he shrugged.

She hugged him tentatively and benignly, "Thank you. This is wonderful." She felt a small electric current pass between them as they touched and it seemed like it went right to her more intimate parts. Rayn put his arms around her, but did not engage her body. It was almost too difficult to hold back when he felt the tingle of her power wash over both of them. He forced his mind elsewhere to keep himself from being overcome by her enrapturing touch.

A few days ago he'd attempted to bed a beautiful blonde from one of the lesser noble families but he couldn't go through with it. He got as far as inviting her to speak with him privately in his chambers, but ended up telling her he had other duties to attend and did not have time to see her. The gossip he overheard was incessant. The women were jealous that someone obviously had caught his attention and he was no longer the charming Prince he had been in the past. The women were even disappointed in Kieran's engagement. As far as they were concerned it was two less virile men to fawn over and be bedded by.

Rayn disengaged from her hug and took her to see the Schoolmaster. They hit it off right away and when Rayn left them he felt confident she would be happier. She hardly seemed to notice he had left, she was too wrapped up in brushing one of the horses. He wondered if she was beginning to love Kieran and forget he even existed. The thought sent a sharp pain through his chest.

**

The next afternoon the King visited Leni in Ramsey's study. She was alone and his presence was off putting. She was very uncomfortable, but rose and curtsied anyway.

"How are you magic lessons going?" he asked, as she curtsied.

"They are going well, Your Highness, although Riley may be a better judge of that than I am." She replied politely.

"I am sure you are progressing very well," he assured her.

She looked expectantly at him, she felt he had something on his mind he wasn't sharing. She remembered to keep her walls up in her mind.

"I have been informed that raiders plan to take the city within the coming weeks. The men will be readying themselves for battle. I want you to join them." And there it was.

"May I speak freely, Your Highness?" it was important to tread lightly with a king this powerful.

"Go ahead." He responded, his cold blue eyes almost made her shiver.

"What is it that you expect me to do?" she sounded meek, but it was better that way, maybe he would underestimate her. She remembered Kieran's words and did not want to come across as too powerful or confident.

"I expect you to drive them out of my city." His voice rumbled and he advanced to where she stood against the table in a subtle but threatening gesture.

Her anger flared. HIS city? No. It was her city. She was the rightful ruler, but she was very careful to hide those thoughts.

"Yes, Your Highness." She'd play along, for now. She shrank back away from him and averted her eyes. She just wanted him to leave, he was making her even more uncomfortable but he advanced further until he was standing so close to her she could feel his body heat.

"You look so much like your mother." He remarked, and stroked his wrinkled hand down her jawline and to her neck.

She inhaled slowly and gripped the edge of the table until her knuckles were white. She refused to look up at him and willed herself to stay calm and collected. The last thing she needed was to lash out with magic and kill him, she'd definitely be executed for that. He stroked her again and let his fingers graze over her exposed breast making her shudder.

Damn revealing dress, she thought to herself. How dare he touch her, she started to move but he blocked her path causing her to run straight into his solid chest. He was an impressive man, but not in the way Rayn was. As far as she was concerned they were nothing alike.

"Look at me." He roughly commanded. She steeled herself and lifted her eyes, slightly narrowing them. His icy stare didn't faze her but deep down she felt fear creeping in

"I have the power to make you do whatever I want. If you refuse my request Rayn will surely be able to control your mind." He leaned in farther and she pulled away automatically.

It broke her heart, Rayn would betray her if he was asked.

Mollach locked his arm around her waist and lowered his head to bury it into her thick wavy hair and inhaled her scent. She struggled to keep her breathing even but she was trembling.

"It's such a shame I'm going to end up destroying you, I would love nothing more than to claim you," he whispered into her ear. What he did next shocked her; he ran his tongue down her neck making her hair stand on end. She raised her hands and pushed him away, hard. He was lucky she had her magic under control. She could have killed him where he stood but she knew it would surely mean death for herself.

He smiled slyly, and undressed her with his eyes before he finally left. She breathed deeply and tried to calm down for a few minutes before she set off to find Rayn, she felt sick. The longer she thought, the more her blood boiled. She rubbed her neck where the King had tasted her and shuddered again.

She stopped Rayn's attendant in the corridor and inquired where she would find him. She was told he had just returned to his quarters after morning drills. She thanked the man, and he seemed surprised. What was it with people around here not being polite? She thought as she headed in the right direction. She had finally figured out her way around the castle. She still got turned around occasionally but it never took her very long to figure out how to find her way back. Well now she was turned around. Ugh! She tried to calm down so she could think but she was too angry. As she finally neared the great hall she heard voices. She ducked behind a statue around the corner, it sounded like the King. She didn't know who he was talking to.

"...do you think she will cooperate?" the voice asked. It was so familiar to her, something from a dream.

"I expect her to, one way or another," the King replied, "even if Rayn has to force her. I will make her turn on her people. These Rodanians are nothing but rats, the raiders have terrorized the plains for far too long. It's only fitting one of their own will cause their demise. I am almost glad the assassins failed in the forest."

Leni almost lost it. The King had sent the men in the forest to kill her?! She waited until the two men passed her and peered around the corner. She saw the back of the dark haired man who was talking to the King and experienced a sudden flash of recognition. She knew the voice, she knew who he was!

She almost ran back to her quarters, hoping beyond hope that Kieran would be there. He wasn't so she sent Mary to find him. She paced the room for almost an hour and finally he arrived looking very worried.

"Mary said you needed me, are you alright?" he put his hand on her arm and searched her face.

"No, I'm not alright. Come sit down, I'll explain everything."

They sat down and the whole story tumbled out, well almost. She didn't tell him about recognizing the man with the King, just that she had seen him. Kieran told her it was probably a man named Ferinor. He couldn't believe that his own King wanted to completely wipe out the Rodanians and that he'd disrespected her by touching her uninvited. He also argued with her over Rayn's involvement. He didn't believe that Rayn would hurt her to make her comply but she was beyond certain that Rayn would choose his crown over protecting her.

"Come with me." She almost dragged him to Rayn's quarters with her. She knew there was only one way to prove she had been telling the truth. Rayn was just leaving and she forcefully pushed him backwards into his room.

He was shocked and angry at her, "What are you doing?" he asked abrasively.

"I want you to read my thoughts, and see my memories, " she told him, "now."

"You avoid me for weeks, get engaged, sleep with my best friend, and then start demanding me to do things for you? No." he pushed her hands off of him.

"Rayn, it's important." Kieran assured him.

"No." he refused.

Leni felt her anger growing, she opened herself to it. Her hands started to glow, she showed them to Rayn, "Do it now." She told him. It shocked both the men, Kieran tried to calm her and Rayn tried to avoid her simultaneously.

"Rayn, I will only ask this one more time. Read my memories, or so help me..." her voice trailed off. She pushed the anger out of her mind and felt her magic recede. It made her want to retch. Kieran had been right about that.

"Fine, but it better not be about you two." He pointed at them.

"It's not, now just do it." Kieran assured him.

"You need to see this too Kieran; can you do that?" she asked Rayn, but expected he could.

"Put your hand on my shoulder," he said, as he turned to Kieran. Kieran did as he asked and Rayn grabbed both of Leni's hands. She backed her mind up to earlier when the King had found her in the study. She replayed their conversation in her mind and then the one she overheard. Rayn dropped her hands as soon as it was over, as if her skin was covered in bugs and he didn't want to touch her.

"How could you let him do this to me!" she spat, the rage was burning brighter now after hearing the King command her to kill her own people for the second time.

Rayn sank into his chair, "I didn't know." He was enraged his father had touched her but he tried not to let it show in front of Kieran.

"That's horse shit and you know it!" she accused him, oh Gods she could punch him right now she was so mad.

"No, " he said forcefully, "I didn't know!"

"You're going to let him use me as a weapon! You were going to help him control me." she accused, she started to lunge towards him but Kieran grabbed her and held her back.

"Easy." Kieran told her.

"I didn't believe he would take it so far." Rayn sighed and shook his head.

"Why does he hate me Rayn; why does he hate my people?" she was almost crying. The King was going to kill them all.

"They killed my mother." He said quietly.

"What?" she couldn't believe what she heard.

"When I was 13, my mother died. We were on a trip to Rodan from our home in Dria. As we crossed the plains a band of raiders attacked and they killed her. My father has never been the same." He explained.

"But that doesn't give him the right!" she was almost screaming now.

"No, no it doesn't." Rayn agreed. She thought it might be the only thing they had ever agreed on.

"What should we do?" Kieran asked.

"She's an asset Kieran, he will keep her alive so he can use her to his advantage. He may try to use you to get to her if she won't cooperate. Are you two..." he gestured to both of them.

"We're two friends trying to survive," She assured him. Kieran turned to her and took her hand.

"Whatever he does to me, even if he kills me, do not let him use you. Do you hear me?" he was dead serious,"let him think we're in love, as long as he can keep using me against you I will stay alive. Do you understand?"

"Yes." She hoped she would never have to make that choice.

"Kieran, " Rayn started to address him but was interrupted by guards entering the room followed by the King. Leni felt her body tingling and her anger and fear taking over. She clenched her hands, neither man was wearing his sword. Damn them both!

"I knew you'd go running to your lover," Mollach smiled. She swore his chest almost puffed with pride, "arrest him," he ordered.

Leni jumped in front of Rayn as the guards seized Kieran. She was surprised he didn't fight.

"No!" she lunged forward but Rayn caught her arm.

"Calm her down!" Mollach growled at his son. "And lock him up." He ordered.

Leni felt the calm flow through her, she stopped struggling but her temper was raging. Kieran and Rayn exchanged a look as Kieran was ushered out the door.

"I'm breaking your engagement my dear, " Mollach informed her. Gods he was evil! "You are forbidden to see him; I'm keeping him in the dungeon, you have until the raiders arrive to decide to cooperate with me or your lover will be executed. You are hereby put under house arrest and will not leave these quarters until I release you. The Crown Prince himself will be keeping an eye on you." with that he spun on his heel and left.

Leni yanked her arm away from Rayn and turned the full force of her wrath on him, "So this was your grand plan? You let your father use me as a weapon, torture your best friend, and destroy my people so you can have me in your quarters as your little pet!? You are an arrogant selfish prick!"

"You should watch what you say to me." he growled at her, he was fuming. How dare she accuse him of setting them up, he was furious. He reached out to grab her.

"Don't touch me!" she roared and turned around to leave and then kicked herself when she opened the door and realized she couldn't. There were two guards just outside and even though she tried to walk out the door she couldn't. Her body felt like it was being held back.

"What is this?" she pointed to the floor. It was a circle with ancient Druid symbols inside she didn't recognize and her name scrawled around the border in the old language; she looked at the guards but they didn't speak. Rayn came up behind her to look.

"It's a binding spell meant to keep you from leaving, and apparently it's working" he sounded disappointed, he pulled her away from the door and closed it.

"We will figure this out. I don't want Kieran hurt any more than you do." he assured her.

He paced the floor for over an hour, and Leni sat in a chair with her legs under her feeling very vulnerable. What if they tortured her secret out of Kieran, she doubted they'd be able to break him but it still worried her. And she really didn't want him to be in pain because of her. Rayn was very upset, and once her anger passed she decided they'd have to be allies if she was going to keep anyone safe. She turned to study him; his face was creased with worry.

"We are going to have to be very careful," he said, "but we will get him out of there. I need you to be on high alert at all times. Do not ever let your guard down on your mind."

She nodded. He noticed how worried she looked, and despite her assurance that she and Kieran were friends, he felt jealous she trusted and cared for Kieran. He wanted her to care for him like that; she never would have yelled at Kieran the way she yelled at him. No one had screamed at him like she did, ever. That was part of being raised as a Prince, people didn't disrespect you. He had a mind to turn her over his knee and teach her a lesson, but the rational part of him knew that wouldn't help the situation. They needed a solution.

"We just need to think about this carefully." He told Leni.

"My mind is too tired to come up with anything right now," she did sound tired, he noticed. He sent his attendant to get her things from her room.

Leni felt very awkward and nervous about staying with Rayn. She refused his offer to sleep in his bed because she didn't trust herself to be too close to him. She pushed two chairs together in the sitting room instead, as if he might try to take advantage of her. He'd had plenty of chances that he hadn't taken she told herself. She'd never felt so at war with her own emotions before, it was exhausting. Ignoring him had been easier but that was no longer an option.

Damn him.

Rayn couldn't sleep knowing she was in the next room. She was infuriating; one minute she was a hell cat ready to rip him apart and the next she was gentle and trying to be his ally. There had to be something she wasn't telling him. He wondered if Kieran knew. He would have to ask him tomorrow if he could get down to the dungeons without being seen. If he was ever going to gain her trust he wasn't going to try and read her thoughts.

Rayn got up to check on his prisoner. She looked so peaceful sleeping in the chair, and uncomfortable. He shook his head and smiled, she was so defiant. He had to admit, he admired her. She was an orphan, now a widow, and yet had somehow survived and even thrived in her life. She was capable of taking care of herself most of the time and still had a gentle softness about her, at least when she wasn't angry. His father had no idea who he was dealing with. Rayn knew she'd fight with every ounce of energy she had. He watched her sleep for a little while longer and then added a log to the fire before going back to bed, alone.

Eleanor felt him watching her, but she kept her eyes closed and her walls up. She hated keeping him out, he'd done so much for her already. She regretted avoiding him and she wished she could just tell him everything, it would be so much easier, but she couldn't risk it. She never really slept that night, and when the morning finally dawned she felt sick and exhausted.