Not Just for Christmas Ch. 14-16

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Then he talked with Claire about what he had done.

She was angry.

"You insult me when you do things like this without us agreeing first," she said. "Hell, Mike, you're playing with our lives. You have a wife and family who depend on you. That man-"

"Stockton is a powerful man," he said, temporising. "I agree about that, but he respected me, as I did him, and he did respect me. He didn't say much when I showed him your photographs, but he was angry about the abuse of you and Siobhán. I knew before I went he was a family man and his family was the most important thing in his life."

"But he could be a gangster," she said doggedly.

"Some of the worst criminals love and value their families above all things. Look at the Mafia! Family is above all! I banked on him being angry enough at what Gary did to get us out of this trouble we're in. I was right."

She was not convinced but he stroked her face and she came into his arms.

"This is a first," she whispered.

"How do you mean?" He was puzzled.

"We've had an argument, we still differ but we're still together!" and she laughed.

"I've an idea of getting closer together; there's that baby-making to be done."

"More practice!" she laughed, "Race you upstairs."

-

Neither Mike nor Claire were completely sure that their troubles were over, but life became fraught as Siobhán began her GCSE examinations before leaving her High School and moving on to Sixth Form College, and it helped keep their minds from dwelling too much on the possible dangers. Nevertheless they kept a careful watch over each other's safety, which was a strain and was taking its toll. They found themselves snapping at each other and were constantly apologising for it. The bed became frequently used for 'make-up' love-making.

Then, about five weeks after Mike's interview with Stockton there was a news item, or rather two. Both made the national television news on every channel.

Gary Sonter had been attacked in prison and had been seriously injured. He was severely beaten and a razor blade had been used on him. His face had been slashed, his body likewise, and he was in intensive care. National television could not go into further detail.

The same day the body of a man was found in the canal. The man was in full leathers, boots and gloves. On the bed of the canal the police found a powerful motorbike, and by it a full face crash helmet. The man had been in a fight and it was supposed that he skidded into the canal trying to escape his attackers.

The media asserted that he was an associate of Gary Sonter, and that the police reckoned the two attacks were connected.

The mood at the evening meal that day was sombre. Mike knew that Claire would be as conflicted, as she was when Gary was sentenced, and Siobhán was thoughtful also. Feelings are not straightforward things; they do not follow logical rules. That night, Claire wanted to make love gently and be held until she slept.

Mike for his part, wondered if the dead man was his own attacker. In some way he felt responsible for the man's death. He would have to live with it. Tom would later put it in perspective. The man had tried to kill Mike and would have succeeded if Rosemary had not arrived. It would have been Mike who would not have been there any more.

Next morning there was a letter on the door mat. It had been hand delivered and was addressed to Mike. Inside there was a sheet of note paper, and with it there was another envelope from a solicitor.

Dear Mr Stewart

The matter we discussed some time ago has now been resolved. There is no longer any threat to you, your wife or your children.

Since your problems originated in my company and my employees were used to harass you, I have taken the liberty of compensating you for your family's suffering. I urge you to accept it.

Please read the enclosed.

Yours etc.

Josiah Stockton.

The other envelope contained a solicitor's letter explaining that Stockton Import/Export felt obliged to compensate Mrs Claire Stewart and her children for the injuries caused by Mrs Stewart's ex-husband, and Mr Stewart for injuries and stress caused by other employees of the company.

There was the usual collection of waivers upon which the compensation was dependent. There was more stuff about tax exemption, and there was a bankers cheque for seven hundred and fifty thousand pounds.

Mike showed the letter to Claire and the cheque. After a good deal of discussion they put the money in trust for the children. Neither wished to benefit directly from it; they suspected it was blood money.

The burden of worry was at last lifted, and the relief was tangible.

The police called the next day to say that none of their leads had resulted in prosecution regarding the attack on Mike. They did ask him where he was on the night before the man was found in the canal, but it was obvious that was for form's sake; he was at home with the family. They nodded and that was that.

They also told Claire that though the Echo was suspected of leaking the information about Claire's whereabouts to Gary, there was not sufficient evidence to be sure of a conviction. Since both Claire and Mike knew Cheryl was responsible, and that at last they now agreed she had changed her ways, they were content to leave things as they were. Mike agreed now with Claire that Claire had won and Cheryl had lost, and she agreed that Cheryl had in fact reformed.

Gary Sonter made a gradual recovery which Victor reported to the family, but he was a broken man and now disabled. Claire was quiet for some days after that information. No one was happy at his suffering, even though the thought crossed Mike's mind that it was poetic justice: the man's scars mirrored Claire's. He suspected that in that respect, the injuries had been deliberately accurate, a warning to Sonter to let his ex-wife and her new husband alone.

Talking of poetic justice, Bob French was discovered 'in flagrante' with one of his three married women and the resulting fracas resulted in severe damage to his sexual equipment. Tom opined that in Bob's case there was plenty for the aggrieved husband to aim his boots at.

Cheryl got in touch with Claire to say that she'd found a good steady man. He was not rich but not poor either, or powerful, but loved her to bits. She had high hopes for their future and she was going to work at making him happy, rather than expecting the same from him. She also wanted to start a family. She again apologised for what she had done to Mike and Claire, and this time they agreed she should finally be forgiven, and they might move on and even become friends. Perhaps.

-

Usually it's no use dreaming of a white Christmas where Michael lives. The North West of England is mild and you're lucky to get snow at all during the winter, and certainly it is rare at the festive time. But that particular year, while the early Christmas Eve afternoon was grey and overcast, snow lay thinly on the ground and there was a nip in the air.

Michael Stewart was leaving his premises, the last person to do so, and was looking forward to going home. The rest of the staff had gone to the pub at lunchtime and he had told them he did not expect them back.

It had been no hardship to stay till last and lock up for the holiday when everyone else was enjoying the afternoon. He would be going back to an empty house, as his wife and family were shopping in town. This year, to be alone at home on Christmas Eve afternoon seemed attractive and peaceful.

His older sister Catherine was not arriving from the USA this year. She was pregnant and would be giving birth early in the New Year, but Claire's brother from the North of Scotland was on his way that evening to stay for the Christmas period.

Mike fleetingly felt a sense of deja vu, it reminded him of an earlier Christmas Eve, two years ago, which was going to change his life so absolutely, and eventually for the better. He remembered it had been raining, and a frightened young fourteen year old girl and her bravery. He smiled.

As he left the padlocked gate, his mobile phone trilled. As if she were psychic and would know he was thinking of her, it was that girl. It was Siobhán, who had been Shania.

"Dad," she said. "We came in by bus today. Could you pick us up?"

"Sure, Hen," he answered. "Where?"

She giggled then became serious. "Back High Street," she said. "Outside Boots the Chemist's back door."

She disconnected, and Mike drove thoughtfully to the place. When he arrived, there was Siobhán. She beckoned to him.

He exited the car and went to her. She hugged him.

"You know this place?" she asked.

He nodded. Two years. How time had flown by! So much had happened. How she had grown!

"Thanks Dad!" she said, hugging and kissing him. "Thanks for everything, thanks for being my Dad. Now come with me."

She led him to the bin shed. There was Claire, with her prominent bulge, their as yet unborn son. She was holding Ginny and Ryan by the hand. At their feet were a pile of shopping bags. The trio were smiling broadly and lovingly.

"Dad," said Ginny, "we thought we should come back here today to remember. We had nowhere to go, and you took us in."

"And you were so careful with us," added Siobhán, with a look that told of what they had been through, and how gently he had treated them.

"Especially mother," she added.

"We've been through a lot," said Claire, absently touching her scarred face, "but it's been well worth it. You're worth it."

"Best thing I ever did!" said Mike, looking at the assembled family with the suspicion of a tear in his eye. "Best thing I ever did!"

Claire and Mike hugged and kissed at length until a chorus of young voices interrupted them: "Mum, Dad, Get a Room!"

"Better than that," said Mike laughing, "we've got a house!"

"A home," said Claire pensively. "A real home, and not just for Christmas."

END