Ocean Blue Ch. 08

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Sitting next to the window, Philip watched the harbor beyond as ships lazily coasted across the water on a gentle day. Anne had paced the length of the room dozens of time and the sound of her footsteps was beginning to grate on his nerves. His heart was heavy with regret and he struggled not to turn his thoughts towards Katherine. No, it was best to let her rest in peace.

"Perhaps we can escape through the window." Anne's voice broke through his haze just enough to make him grit his teeth. "It cannot possible be far to the ground. We could run from there."

"By what stretch of the imagination do you think we're in a friendly city?" Philip asked as Anne stopped her pacing and glared at him with the lofty look of an aristocrat. "Do you even know how much damage you can do to yourself with just that simple fall?"

"You cannot tell me that you are willing to sit here and simply let that madman decide our fate. Philip, we must get out of here. We have to find Katherine and then make our way to my father. He can protect all of us."

He was up the instant that she mentioned Katherine's name, his jaw set in anger as he stalked towards her. "Get this through your addled brain, Anne. She's dead." He squeezed his fists so tightly his joints ached with the strain. He'd had enough of this woman and her silly notions of the way the world worked. "You and I will both die as well if that's what he wants. He'll name a price to your father, whatever amount he has in his head at the time, and if he can't pay you'll be killed."

Anne turned pale at his words, goose bumps breaking out upon her arms as she hugged herself tightly. A shiver passed down her spine at the possibility of her father not paying a ransom. She couldn't let herself believe that this was all that fate had in store for them. She could not possibly die by that madman's hands.

"If you wish to believe that, sir, there's nothing I can do to convince you otherwise. I, on the other hand, would like to think that the outcome of our situation might be a bit more...acceptable."

He snorted in response as the door to the room opened and a group of men stepped inside. Philip barely had time to move before he was seized and a thick cloth hood was forced over his head. Anne gave a cry of surprise as Bega stepped into the room behind them, watching with an unconcerned look as the other captain struggled against his sudden captivity.

"Please...what's happening?" Anne asked, daring to draw Bega's wrath with her question as he turned those cold eyes towards her.

He regarded her with cool indifference for a moment before he looked back towards his men as they got Philip under control. "I've found a man willing to pay me a king's ransom for the both of you."

"My father," She asked with a hopeful tone which was struck down when Bega began to laugh.

"Oh, how wonderful your life must be to be that foolish and young." He said as he grinned at the captive woman beside him as his men subdued Philip, lashing his hands behind his back with a length of coarse rope. "No, my dear, your father has not responded to our demands."

Worry flashed across her pretty face as she heard those words and wondered if what Philip said could be true. They couldn't possibly be lead to their deaths.

"Bring her along." Bega motioned towards Anne with a tilt of his head. As one of his men grabbed her tightly by the arm he turned on his heel and stalked from the room. "We mustn't keep the Signore waiting."

12