All Comments on 'Of Hope Lost and Found Ch. 01'

by nageren

Sort by:
  • 7 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousabout 9 years ago

Nice story, well written, hope to see more chapters! Best of luck!

jurasickjurasickabout 9 years ago
Finally, Dottie's Story!

That Jimmy had it coming! Good for you Dottie. Poor girl, messed up by another piece of crap masquerading as a man. Now we know the beginnings of Dottie's story. Good writing, as usual.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 9 years ago
Excellent start

Well done!

AnonymousAnonymousabout 9 years ago
Story is weakened by your inconsistent character behavior.

Selfish cruel cold hearted people are not hard to uncover, if you make the effort. Despite your story's contention, assholes don't sprout from princes over night. Sweet conniving talk only fools a fool, in the long run. Sure, an asshole might get a date or two, or even hang on for a few months. But once you start digging into their values, their attitudes, their verifiable history, and the nature of their friends, you start to get vibes, see inconsistencies, smell the odor of deceit. It was totally James' fault for what he did to Dottie. It was totally Dottie's fault for hanging around once the skunk took off his chipmunk costume. I know, not politically correct, but that does not make it false.

Getting married without telling her parents was just so out of character, that what followed was rather predictable, and made the story start to follow a boring stereotype. Starry eyed idealistic woman totally deceived and betrayed by handsome smooth talking seducer. Make me gag. Unfortunately you are creating a pattern of making your characters stupid, lame, and self-destructive. Dottie's parents are described as such sensible experienced and wise people that it is unbelievable that Dottie is their child. Dottie stayed in an abusive relationship because she was too embarrassed to go back home? And she hangs around to subject her unborn child to this asshole? Nah, doesn't make sense. Just character morphing to fit your plot. You can do so much better. Please try.

bruce22bruce22about 9 years ago
She was really innocent

Funny this is what the "real men" recommend be done to cheating women all the time!

This is the other side of the story. She really was tiger when unleashed! She certainly had her blinders on when she met him and she must have been super hot to make him jump through hoops like she did. Glad that the author decided to open Dottie's past for us.

GaiusPetroniusGaiusPetroniusabout 9 years ago
@ Anonymous ("Story is weakened . . .")

Wake up! The only compensation these authors get is the comments and feedback we readers give them. I wish you could see how un-constructive your criticism is. There are ways to present plot implausibilities that are not hurtful. It would be nice if you found one.

Instead, you pretend to know what human beings are like and how they behave under any given set of circumstances -- that there is only one way and that's the way of your limited perspective. If that's the case, then write your own stories and stop reading other peoples'. A line from Romeo & Juliet comes to mind: "He laughs at scars who never felt a wound."

Here's my opposing opinion: it's an excellent story exceedingly well told. Those of us who have already dwelt in the author's fictional universe, thanks to the "Strange Arrangement" series, know what a strong and wise woman Dottie becomes. Imho, it's a privilege to share in her backstory.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 3 years ago

This is deeply unsatisfying to see scum like that just get away so easily.

There was no catharsis and nothing to draw me to continue reading this story.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
usernageren@nageren
I try to write realistically- describing believable people in plausible situations. None of the characters is "me," but many of them represent aspects of my personality and history. My hope is that, as you get to know my characters, you will find yourself thinking-...

story TAGS

READ MORE OF THIS SERIES