All Comments on 'Ohana Ch. 01'

by jehoram

Sort by:
  • 7 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousover 13 years ago
Interesting

Any child born from such a coupling would hardly be half black, so I don't know why you included that, but it was a good tale.

AnonymousAnonymousover 13 years ago
Unless momma lied...

The potential offspring would be 1/2 Polynesian, 1/4 Hispanic and only 1/4 from African decent. Not counting any other ancestral additions from mom or dad. But momma sounds like a pretty diluted source for that particular genetic tidbit.

jehoramjehoramover 13 years agoAuthor
Momma didn't lie

Point well taken about the "half-black" baby. But the narrator didn't consider himself "half-black" -- he was speaking from the mindset of the sixties, when under the "one drop" rule, anybody with African ancestry was considered "colored." It is true that his child would have been similarly classified, but the narrator is referring to the fact the the child will be raised in a Polynesian culture while retaining an African ancestry he might never know about.

This is explained a little farther in the sequel, where we learn that the narrator repudiates his "passing for white" and embraces his African-American heritage.

AnotherClosetReaderAnotherClosetReaderover 13 years ago
Ok, but-

What about his Latino heritage? He doesn't like his old man, or what? Just to play devil's advocate.

AthaliaAthaliaover 13 years ago
Liked it.

Good story. I'm glad to see your stories here again.

dragginlizarddragginlizardalmost 11 years ago
wonderful

a beautifully told story that I look forward to continuing.

DakotacplDakotacplover 3 years ago
Awesome

Terrific story!

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous
userjehoram@jehoram
Writer, part time nudist, full time aesthete. I usually don't take PMs, but try me anyway. You might get lucky.

READ MORE OF THIS SERIES

Ohana Series Info