[Original] Flirting the Fence

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Beth shivered a little at the thought, thanking the stars it hadn't happened. Forcing herself to smile and put on a brave face, Beth nodded. "Thank you."

"Do you need me to help you get a cab?" Day asked, as he moved to open the door for her. "Are you forgetting anything?"

Beth shook her head, already beginning to feel the pain from the heels she had had to slip on again. Moving to the opening she lightly touched Day's cheek, a show of thanks and affection. "Really, thank you." Beth whispered before she exited the door and walked down the four flights of stairs. It was only when she hit the ground floor that she heard the door close, it was only then that she steeled herself to face her reality.

Chapter 10

Day closed the door as he heard Beth's heels hit the ground floor.

"I'm hungry!" Brian piped up, as he climbed back into his chair.

Day turned to his son, striding past him into the living room, he looked out of the window searching for Beth's redhead. "What took you so long?" Day asked Brian, as he spotted Beth with her hand up, flagging down a passing cab.

Day watched as she climbed into the cab, closing the yellow and black door behind her. His eyes hungrily trailing the cab until it disappeared down the street and around the corner.

"I was pooping." Brian said candidly, making Day laugh out loud.

Brian hadn't yet learned the intricacies of social norms, so he still said what was on his mind. Turning away from the window Day went back into the kitchen, grabbing the batter and beginning to stir it again.

Day was quick about making the french toast, constantly checking the clock. At a quarter to ten he had Brain washed, cleaned, fed. and ready to go. Quickly the pair exited the apartment, Day turning to lock the door behind him.

"Oh hello there Brian." Day heard his neighbor Mrs.Johnson say.

Mrs.Johnson was an old woman, who from time to time took care of Brian. The old woman felt like she had some kind of hold over Day and Brian's decisions, like she knew what was best for them.

Though Day appreciated the old woman's kindness and generosity, at times he felt decidedly uncomfortable around her and her small minded views.

"Hi" Brian pipped up, waving the hand that wasn't trapped in Day's hand.

Kid's too fucking trusting, Day thought on a groan, turning to smile brightly at Mrs.Johnson. "Hello Mrs.Johnson. How are you doing this morning?"

Mrs.John smiled warmly at them, reaching out to pat Brian's head and squeeze Day's shoulder. "Good, good. But I saw the strangest thing this morning." She said in a conspiratorial whisper leaning closer to Day.

Day remained perfectly still with a polite smile on his face, knowing what was coming next. Whenever the woman saw something strange it was usually something she didn't agree with and something she thought was wrong.

"I saw a white woman runnin' down the stairs. Now I don't know where she came from, but I hope she won't be causin' trouble. Lord knows we don't need another white woman blaming our young black men for nothin'." The woman said, shaking her head sadly and clucking her teeth.

Day bit the inside of his cheek to keep from saying anything. Mrs.Johnson thought the young black men in their neighborhood were all saints, and that the media twisted the truth, just wanting to: put "good black men in jail like they slaves" as she always liked to say.

Day might have agreed with her, if not for what he had seen yesterday, and what he knew to be true. Not all men were good, and it didn't matter what the color of their skin was, it mattered how dark their soul was.

"Well Mrs.Johnson I have to get to work." Day said, trying to step around the old woman.

"Um-hmm. Day I hope you wasn't foolin' round with that white woman." She tisked, looking at him with shame. "You know them girls ain't nothin but trouble. Think they want some jungle fever, but then they scream rape. Our kind just don't mix Day, they just don't." Mrs Johnson said shaking her head sadly.

Day bit a hole in his cheek tasting blood. The woman was nearly 80 and wasn't about to change her views on interracial couples or "white women" anytime soon. Day understood this, he had known how racist she was, but he had need the help after Shontell had died. But now that he truly thought about it, Day didn't want his son around the woman, her poisonous words infiltrating his still forming mind.

"You have a good day Mrs.Johnson." Day said curtly, holding Brain's hand and beginning to walk down the stairs.

"Oh! Thank you Day! You're always so kind. Ya'll have a nice day." The woman said calling down to them and giving a little wave.

Day snorted as he pushed through the front door and headed in the direction of his parking garage. He doubted he would ever let his son near the old woman again, he didn't want his son turning out like her, small minded and petty.

They hit the parking garage, and Day reached into his pocket for his keys, clicking the alarm system to open the doors to his sedated minivan. Once Brian was strapped in, playing with one of his toys, Day got in the driver's seat and they were on their way.

Chapter 11

Beth handed the cabbie a twenty, thanked him, and got out of the cab, not bothering to ask for change.

"Here we go." Beth muttered under her breath, walking into the lobby of her apartment building.

"Hello Ms.McNash." Charlie, her chipper doorman said, holding the door wide for her.

"Hey Charlie."Beth said striding through the door with more confidence then she felt.

Beth immediately went to the elevator pressing the up arrow and waiting for the car to come down. "How are the puppies?" Beth asked suddenly turning to Charlie.

Charlie smiled warmly at her. "I'm surprised you remembered. They're good, but tearing up furniture left and right." He said with a shake of his head.

Beth laughed, but it came out a little high pitched. God I don't want to do this, Beth thought, turning back to see the numbers counting down slowly.

"Of course I remember! They're chocolate labs right?" Beth asked smiling a little too brightly.

Charlie blinked at her a few times before throwing his head back and laughing. "You're definitely not from around here Ms.McNash. Yes, they're chocolate labs."

Beth just stared at him, a little struck, but then she remembered New Yorkers really didn't act like her. Remembering conversions they'd had with their doorman about puppies, or even having conversations with their doorman.

The elevator dinged, and the doors whooshed silently open. "Bye Charlie." Beth called out to him, stepping into the elevator car and turning, watching the doors begin to close in front of her.

"Have a good Day Ms.McNash." Charlie called back to her, as the doors closed.

The elevator began moving up, and with every level it passed, Beth's anxiety skyrocketed. When it hit her floor, she was all but biting her nails and pulling her hair out. But beth pushed her anxiety aside, because she knew this was something she had to face, something she'd need to face for a while now.

It wasn't like it had been a huge surprise seeing Jason with another woman, Beth knew he routinely slept with other people. It was just the sort of jackass he was, and she accepted that. The worst of it, was that he had slept with her best friend, or rather her friend had allowed him to sleep with her.

Beth stepped off the elevator making her way down the hall to her their apartment. With shaking fingers she pulled out her key, trying three times until she was able to get it in the lock and turn the handle to open the door.

Beth stepped inside, instantly kicking off her heels at the door. It was eerily quiet inside the apartment, but Beth could swear she heard crying. Following the noise, she heard what sounded like someone hitting someone, and recoiled at the sound.

Looking around, Beth grabbed a cordless off the kitchen counter as she passed it. Slowly she made her way to the bedrooms, where the sounds were getting worse and the crying was turning in the pleading.

Beth punched in 9-1-1 or the cordless holding her finger over the talk button. Slowly, using her foot she pushed the door to her bedroom open, gasping at the sight before her. Laying on the ground looking with her arms protecting her head, was Simone, looming bloody and swollen, tears streaming down her face. But he worst of it was Jason who stood over Simone with a bloody first and an enraged expression.

Initially Jason didn't see her, and his fist swung down slamming with brutal force into one of the arms Simone was using to cover her face. Beth watched, horrified as Jason beat Simone, calling her awful names and yelling obscenities at her.

"Stop." Beth said softly, but he didn't seem to hear her. Beth gathered her courage and screamed at the top of her lungs. "STOP!!!!!!!!!"

Jason stumbled back, cursing as he lost his balance and fell to the bed, while Simone just curled more fully into herself. Jason regained himself, looking over at Beth with hatred and malice.

"Stupid fucking cunt!" Jason spat at her, trying to push himself off the bed.

Immediately her finger hit the call button and she raised the phone to her ear. Jason saw what she was doing and make a rush to grab her and the phone.

Beth ran from the room, going back down the hall and into the guest bathroom, locking the door behind her. "Hello, 911 what is your emergency?" A male voice said over the phone startling her.

Beth froze her mouth half open, not exactly sure what to say, but at that moment Jason rammed the door trying to break it down.

Beth shrieked and crawled away from the door clutching the phone to her ear. "My finance just beat up my friend and he's trying to kill me!" Beth screamed over the phone, fear making her voice tight.

"Ma'am, I understand. Can I please have your address?" The operator said, and Beth rattled off her address and apartment number, the banging growing worse.

"He's trying to break in." Beth whispered over the phone, tears beginning to fall.

"Just hang on, the police are on their way, just stay on the line with me. What's you name" The operator asked trying to assure Beth.

"Um, um, Beth. Beth McNash." She stuttered, biting her bottom lip as the banging stopped.

"The banging stopped." Beth said quietly into the phone.

"The police are on their way, just please wait a-" but then something crashed into the door, fighting Beth and making her drop the phone.

"Open up the fucking door Beth!" Jason screamed out, on the other side of the door.

Beth snatched the phone, crawling into a corner and making herself as small as possible.

"Beth! Beth!" The person on the other line screamed at her, and Beth once again pulled it back to her ear.

"Y-yes." She whispered into the phone, closing her eyes, and resting her forehead on her knees.

"They'll be there soon Beth, just hold on. Can you tell me what you do for a living?" He asked trying to keep her talking.

Beth rambled, trying to fill up the space with anything and everything. Finally she heard banging from the front door, and something that sounded like "Police, open up!"

Beth told Joe, the 911 operator the police were there, but he still asked her to hold on.

There was some grunting, some loud shouting, and what sounded like an officer reading Jason his Miranda Rights. Then someone was calling in the paramedics, and it was a jumble of people in her apartment; still Beth remained hidden in the bathroom, talking to Joe.

"Ms.McNash?" Someone said on the other side of the door, knocking lightly. "My names officer Tanus, are you ok in there?" He asked politely.

Slowly Beth drew herself off the floor, and walked over to the door.

"It's ok Beth, everything is going to be alright." Joe said softly to her over the phone, calming some of her frayed nerves.

Cautiously Beth opened the door, slowly looking out to see the officer a few feet away from the door, giving her some much needed space. It was then that she saw two paramedics wheeling out a groaning bloody Simone on a gurney.

That could have been me, Beth thought with a shiver.

"I'm sorry but we need to ask you some questions Ms.McNash. Hopefully it won't take too long." The officer said softly, speaking to her very gently, and gesturing her over to a female officer who stood just a few feet away talking with a paramedic.

"I-I have to go Joe." Beth said to the 911 operator, he voice shaking.

"It's ok Beth. You're going to be fine." Joe said.

"Ok. Bye" Beth said hanging up the phone, but keeping it tightly clutched in her hand.

Beth approached the other officer and paramedic, but the paramedic just gave her a small smile whispered something got he officer and left. The officer turned, and extended her hand. "Office Fin, Ma'am." The woman said politely.

Beth shook her hand. "Beth McNash." She responded.

"Do mind if we sit down, we have a couple of questions for you." The woman said kindly.

Beth nodded raising a shaky hand to indicate the living room. Once they were all seated, the officers pulled out their note pads. "Can you please explain the situation here?" Office Tanus said.

Beth took a shaky breath, smoothing out the jeans Day had given her. Day. She missed him, missed his warmth. It was strange to miss a person she had known for less than twelve hours, it was even stranger to but thinking about him after she had almost been assaulted by her ex.

Lifting her head from her jeans, Beth began to explain. "I had just come back from a... friend's house when I heard crying. I went to go follow it and..."

Chapter 12

Day pulled into the construction site, cut the engine, and turned to look at Brian. "This is our last stop, I promise. I'll be back in a minute. Don't open the door for anyone. I don't care if you know them or not." Day said severely, until Brian nodded his head and continued playing with his action figures.

Day sighed heavily, and got out of the car, making sure the window was cracked and the door was locked.

"Hey Mr.West!" Someone called out to Day as he turned from his car.

Ricky, his assistant came running up to him, glasses balanced precariously on his nose. Ricky was the typical assistant, except he was a little bit too sarcastic. But all in all the kid did a stellar job, keeping Day's schedule running smoothly.

"Ricky." Day nodded curtly, striding over to see the progress. "How's it coming?" He asked Ricky, stopping to survey some of the workers.

"Good, but we're about a day behind schedule because Felix sprained his wrist. Other than that, we're good." Ricky said, handing him the workers information and all of the tasks that had been completed, or would be completed by the end of the day.

"You know I hate being late on a project Ricky." Day said, looking over to his car, to see Brian still playing with his action figures.

"Yes, yes, I know. "It's better to be early than late." Isn't that what you always say?" Ricky said with a roll of his eyes.

Day's lips twitched, before he set them once again in a straight line. Only Ricky could have the balls to talk to him like that, and Day let him because he really didn't want his schedule completely fucked up.

"Damn she is fine!" Day heard one of his men say, with a long whistle.

Day gritted his teeth. He made a point to make sure all his employees were respectful, and that included not cat calling every chick they saw with a short skirt!

Day turned prepared to chew out whatever asshole had made the comment. He saw two guys practically salivating over a smartphone, talking about a woman they saw on the small screen. Day strode over to the, ready to tear up their hides.

"Beth McNash,..." He heard the little screen say as he got closer.

Day shook his head, it had to be a coincidence, but the voice continued. "First seen entering her apartment at 9:30 this morning" - just a little after his Beth had left his place- "entered her home to find her fiance Jason Brucksworth the second, known as heir to the Brucksworth metal conglomerate, brutally assaulting her close friend. Neighbors say that..." But Day had stopped listening and instead snatched the phone from the men to peer down at the tiny screen.

"Hey man give me my-" The man began but Day cut him a look that had him shutting his mouth quickly.

Studying the screen he saw a picture of Beth, his Beth pop up as the reporter continued. Fuck! Day thought throwing the phone back at the two men and striding back to his car.

"Uh, Day! Wait up man!" Ricky said running to keep up with Day's stride. "You need to sign off and some stuff and check to see if-" Ricky began but Day ruthlessly cut him off.

"Ricky, not now! I've got bigger shit to worry about. Send me some fucking pictures than drop by the house later, so I can sign the fucking papers." Day growled, fishing his key's out of his pocket and unlocking the doors.

There had been a picture of Beth's ex-fiancee being escorted from their apartment building, and it just so happened that Day knew exactly where that building was. Climbing into the car, Day turned the key and started the engine.

"What time?" Ricky said as Day slid down the window.

"Fuck if I know. Like 9 or 10 tonight, ok?" Day said reaching for his seat belt.

"Yeah." Ricky said stepping away from the car as Day peeled out of the site and into the street.

"Home! Home! Home!" Brian chanted from the back seat.

Day shook his head sadly, looking at his son through the rear view mirror. "Just one more stop." Day said weaving through traffic.

"No!" Brian whined, kicking his little feet.

"We're going to see Beth." Day said to calm his son.

The kicking stopped for all of a second before starting again. "You mean the lady from this morning? She was nice." Brian said, for the time being pacified.

Day sighed, truly exhausted, but knowing that he needed to check on Beth, if only to assure himself she was ok. Though why he should care about a woman he had known less than twelve hours, he couldn't begin to fathom, but there was something there, a spark maybe? Day didn't fucking know, but still he rushed over to her apartment, a force he couldn't begin to understand pulling him.

Chapter 13

"Look, I'm really tired, is there any way we can finish this tomorrow? I'd be happy to come down to the station." Beth said tiredly, running a hand through her hair.

The phone wouldn't stop ringing, and at least a dozen or more nosy neighbors had stopped by before she had just locked the door. Beth already knew that everything that had happened was on the news networks by now. Jason was too rich and too well known, not to get some press.

"Of course Ms.McNash." Officer Finn said, smiling kindly at her.

Beth rose from the couch, her butt asleep, her legs tired, but still she walked them to the door. Officer Tanus handed her his business card, and she promised to meet them at the station around 11 tomorrow morning.

Just as Beth was closing the door, her intercom buzzed. "Excuse me." She said to the officers, who just nodded their heads politely and closed the door behind themselves.

"Yes." Beth said, holding the intercom button down.

She had explicitly asked that only family members be buzzed up, but considering her parents were in iowa and Jason's parents were god knows where, she wasn't expecting anyone.

"I'm sorry to disturb you Ms.McNash." The voice said a little irritated, as if they had just gotten out of a very frustrating conversation. "But a Mr.Day is here to see you."

Day? Beth thought, her eyes going wide. How did he... But even after Beth wondered how he knew where she lived, the realization that her apartment building had just been plastered over the news hit her.

Beth groaned, tapping her head against the wall, utterly exhausted and still a little frightened. Even though the police had said they would keep Jason in holding, rich people had the uncanny ability to bend the law to suit their needs. All Beth really wanted to do was pack her stuff and leave before Jason got back.