Orphan Ch. 21-24

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Tell me, Sam. If we saw you on the horizon yesterday morning, why has it taken until now for you to contact me?"

James laughed. "On two counts, sir. One, the breeze was so light we did not reach the coast until almost midnight last night, and I was not going to attempt making harbour until there was wind enough to give me steerage way."

Gilroy nodded. "Well done. And your second count?"

"I was not prepared to spoil your breakfast, given that I carry these," he said, reaching for the satchel at his side and removing a fat envelope, which he passed to Gilroy. "We intercepted the Belle Arc within two days. Commander Le Bon had received intelligence that suggested it would be unwise for him to continue the ruse of being French, so he is now headed for Portsmouth to seek fresh orders. As you requested, we returned your stolen fishing boat to its home. The fishermen were grateful, even as they called us thieving English vermin."

"It seemed a good idea to attempt to instil the notion that not all of the English are bad. But that's not everything, is it, Sam?"

"Quite so, sir. We had scarcely moved out of sight of the French coast when we intercepted the brig Mary, your old vessel, sir. She carried dispatches, for you -- that packet -- and further orders for the commander at Gibraltar. Mr Jenkinson was quite happy to save himself some time by letting us bring your orders. He sends his respects, sir."

"Thank you, Sam. Despite the fear that I will be sailing almost immediately, I suppose I had best open this." He cracked the seal and took out the papers, scanning the pages quickly. He frowned, and turned to Roxane.

"Sorry, my love, but the wedding must be postponed."

"Wedding?" said James, a smile growing on his face. "You, sir? And Miss Harrison?"

"Indeed, Sam. Roxane has consented to become my wife. Obviously, you will not know this yet, but as I most probably saved Miss Harrison's life on her first encounter with Josiah Scrogg, and then she saved my life after I was shot, so she saved my life again, and her own, when Scrogg took us unawares and again attempted to assault Miss Harrison."

James's eyes were wide with astonishment. "Pray, tell me, please? What happened?"

"He knocked Alex -- Captain Gilroy -- senseless with a cudgel and then made ready to rape me," said Roxane, keeping her voice steady with an effort. "But he became distracted when he ripped my gown open and I shot him. In the head."

"You shot him?" said James, patently bewildered.

"My uncle gave me a pocket pistol and I was carrying it everywhere after we discovered he was still on the island." She shuddered. "Now, may we change the subject, please, as even the thought of Scrogg makes my skin crawl."

"Indeed, ma'am." James was apologetic. "I did not intend to have you disturbed so."

She smiled. "I know, Mr James, but you deserve the truth, as Alex's first lieutenant."

James nodded. "Thank you. Now, this wedding?"

Gilroy laughed. "Quite so. I asked Roxane to marry me after the incident with Scrogg. Obviously, her mind was disturbed, because she said yes, and she is far too much of a gentlewoman to go back on her word."

"Idiot," said Roxane. "You must ignore him, Mr James. I fear your captain may have spent too much time in the sun."

"Quite possible, ma'am," said James soberly, fighting a grin.

"Be that as it may," said Gilroy, his tone dry, "will you stand with me when we wed, Sam?"

James's face lit up. "Gladly, sir!"

"Quite when, I do not know." He waved the orders. "These require me to present myself and the Pelican to the senior officer commanding, Gibraltar. Why, I am not told. I must sail by Tuesday morning at the latest." He gave Roxane a wry smile. "We shall hear the banns called together, tomorrow, my love, but I fear you will hear them without me on the other two occasions."

Roxane nodded, fighting tears. "I know."

"Sam, I shall return on board on Monday afternoon. Please inform the crew, but do not tell them, not yet, that we sail for Gibraltar. I shall do that ere we sail. I do not think there would be any runners, but we'll not take the chance."

"Quite so, sir. Er, may I inform them about the betrothal, sir?"

"Please do not hesitate on my account, either of you. I am pleased and proud to be marrying Captain Alexander Gilroy," said Roxane.

"There's your answer, Sam. Before you go, however, will you lunch with us?"

"I would be delighted, sir!"

Quite how she managed to show a bright and cheerful face for the rest of the day, Roxane was never quite sure, but she did. Somehow. Within herself, however, it was different, because she knew there was a good chance, if she cared to wager, that she would never see Alexander Gilroy again after he sailed. But she would not let her fears show, determination growing within her.

James left at three, after being closeted with Gilroy for an hour. Rather than make small talk with her uncle, she took a turn in the garden until James came out, standing with Gilroy to wave him goodbye. As the rented gig turned the corner, out of sight, Gilroy turned to Roxane, taking her hands.

"Our plans are spoiled, my love." He sighed. "As I feared."

"A postponement only, dear Alex, not a cancellation."

"True, true. Know this, my sweet, engrave it on your heart. I -- will -- come -- back, and we shall be wed."

"I know," she said, and realised that she did know, that he would move heaven and earth to come back for her. She smiled. "Just not quite as soon as we hoped."

Dinner was solemn, although not miserable, and Le Tessier was careful to make no mention of Gilroy's imminent departure. After dinner the three of them sat for a while in quiet conversation, but at ten, Roxane excused herself.

"I'm a little tired, so would you please excuse me?"

Both men stood. "Of course, my dear," said Le Tessier. "I trust you have a good night, and sleep well."

"Thank you, Uncle Silas."

"If I follow you up, my love, will you check my wound?"

"Of course, although I suspect it will look just as healthy as it did last night."

Gilroy laughed. "Even so?"

She smiled. "Even so, check it I will. Now, if you'll excuse me?"

* * * * *

As always, comments and constructive criticism are welcome. And please vote on the tale, even if you're not commenting, as that gives me an indication of how well my efforts to entertain you are being received.

12