Pathways Ch. 09-10

Story Info
The end of Nina and Angel's story.
4k words
4.52
10.4k
3

Part 5 of the 5 part series

Updated 10/29/2022
Created 11/06/2009
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
patricia51
patricia51
1,909 Followers

Pathways - Chapter 9

The fight was on. The two Slime Demons that Lindsey had brought along to help him ambush Angel were not the only ones he had enlisted. The pair of young women counted a total of six demons in the room. They attacked anyway.

While Nina had heard vague comments about Lindsey from Angel she had never laid eyes on him. She did recognize his scent though as being the human male she had detected at the kidnapping site. Then the demons counterattacked and the brawl filled the room.

Buffy was in her element. She had trained with a sword of course and took no time at all to regain her comfort level with one. She acknowledged that Nina had been right, bare hands were not the best thing to use to handle demons. Even Mister Pointy would be relatively useless although it was her favorite weapon.

Steel clashed against horns and claws. Buffy was pleased at how agile Nina was, dodging one way to avoid a blow that would have removed her head and then back the other to duck a swipe that would have split her in two. Buffy herself spun around, her arms extended and one Slime Demon looked surprised. That look remained even as the head, no longer attached to the torso it had started the day with, sailed through the air.

The two women cut through the demons. A second one fell to the Slayer and another proved it couldn't function when Nina divided it in half. Buffy realized that the other blonde was much stronger than could be accounted for by simple training. Somehow she was drawing on her werewolf side, using its strength and speed even though she remained completely in her human form.

Speaking of humans. The unknown man who seemed to be the cause of all this trouble was making a break for a steel door set into the far wall. From the look of absolute rage on his face she suspected that Angel was probably on the other side of that door and that the man did not have good intentions toward her former boyfriend. She doubled her attacks but two of the remaining demons came at her and she had her hands full parrying their attacks. She saw the door being flung open and caught a glimpse of the stake in the man's hand as he rushed through the opening. She couldn't stop him. Hopefully someone else could.

"Nina!" she cried. "The door! GO!"

Angel had been straining at his chains ever since Lindsey had left him. Time was unclear; it could have been days although he was willing to bet it was more like hours. He didn't feel too hungry and that, after all, could well be the result of the beating his body had taken.

Never one to wait for rescue, he had been grinding the locks on the chains against the wall ever since he had been left alone. Not that he expected to do the Count of Monte Cristo thing but any weakening he could produce in his bonds might be needed sooner or later.

He had heard the faint murmur of conversation through the door and once he had heard Lindsey's voice raised in anger. "Must have got some word about his vampire squad," Angel had chuckled to himself. Then he had heard a loud crash and the sounds of battle. Interspersed among the growls and moans of the demons he thought he could hear human voices. Female human voices. Was it Buffy and Nina?

The door crashed open and Lindsey rushed in, an even wilder look in his eyes than Angel ever remembered seeing there. In his right hand he clutched a stake. With an inarticulate cry he rushed towards the still bound vampire.

"Nina!" he heard Buffy's familiar voice cry out. "The door! GO!"

Lindsey spun to face the doorway and sprang forward just as Nina rushed through the door. Her eyes fixed on Angel; the blonde woman was caught off guard when Lindsey leaped at her. She went sprawling, banging her head on the stone floor. The sword, black with demon blood, fell from her hand. Lindsey raised the stake.

Time seemed to slow and then stop for Angel, like an old fashioned film being run one frame at a time. He saw his beloved Nina helpless on the floor. He saw the stake in Lindsey's hand rise, the point aimed at her chest. He knew that a pierced heart would, obviously, kill her as dead as any vampire and if she died so would their baby. He saw that she was dazed and unable to shift to her werewolf form, where she would be nearly invulnerable.

The tendons stood out on Angels arms as he pulled with every ounce of his vampire strength, augmented by the fear he felt. And the cuffs held.

But Lindsey had gone only half way again in his thinking. The cuffs were designed to hold any vampire, nearly any creature. But the bolts securing the chains to the wall had not received the same amount of attention. They both pulled loose and Angel covered the distance separating him from the pair on the floor in one tremendous leap. The chains swung from his wrists.

Lindsey looked up just as the enraged vampire reached him. One chain encircled his wrist, jerking him away from his intended victim. The other wound around his neck. His eyes met Angel's and at least one wish of the ex-lawyer was granted when Angel pulled and the chain snapped his neck like a rotten twig.

Angel glared at the body. "Okay, this time I killed you. I hope you're happy now."

A clang from the doorway drew his attention. Buffy stood there, her hands resting on a sword, point downward. None of the demons sprawled on the floor behind her in the other room moved.

"Someday you'll have to explain that remark to me." When Angel opened his mouth she waved a hand. "I said 'Someday'. Right now you need to see to Nina."

"I'm all right, I think," qualified the other blonde girl as she gingerly sat up. "Although I have one massive headache. Does anyone know if it's safe for me to take about a dozen aspirin?"

"We'll have to read the book you brought home when we GET home," replied Angel as he helped the fallen woman to her feet. He examined her eyes. "Both pupils look the same. No sign of concussion but I think it would be a good idea if we saw a doctor."

"We?" smiled Nina.

"We," confirmed Angel.

A clearing throat brought their attention back to the third member of their trio. "I really, truly and sincerely am happy for the pair of you. However before you drop by the local ER shouldn't we make an effort to get those chains off you Angel? Right now it looks like you and Nina were playing some kinky game that got out of hand."

Nina snickered. Angel chuckled. then all three of them were laughing. Angel searched Lindsey's pockets, finding the key to his shackles. They fell away and he rubbed his wrists, appreciating how much lighter they felt and how good it felt not to have the cuffs digging into his skin.

Meanwhile Buffy was poking all the bodies to make sure they were dead and Nina was searching through a desk she had discovered. With a grunt of satisfaction she held up some file folders as well as a small metal box.

"Lots of good stuff here, sweetheart." Before Angel replied Buffy interrupted.

"Aren't you moving ahead awfully fast Nina? We've barely had even one date yet?" The Slayer batted her eyes. A pair of groans answered her. "Okay, okay, I'm just joking. 'Sweetheart', she says," Buffy mumbled under her breath.

"This guy over there, Lindsey McDonald was behind all this. I found the receipt for the purchase of those Yawish Amulets that let those vampires get through our previous magical barriers. There are some rambling notes in long hand. He wasn't very fond of you was he..." Nina paused and glared at Buffy, who returned an innocent look, "Darling?"

"No he wasn't." Angel heaved a sigh of relief. "Well then that's over. But you better bring the folders and what's in the box?"

"Money. A LOT of money in fact." Noticing the looks both Buffy and Angel were giving her she continued. "Hey, do you have any idea how expensive college is now? Just think how bad its going to be in eighteen years when she," Nina patted her stomach," Is ready to go."

"She?"

"She." the female werewolf firmly replied.

Angel looked at Buffy who shrugged. "She'll get no argument from me."

Before the trio left the old warehouse they piled all the bodies together and set that room on fire. They wanted the evidence of what had happened to be destroyed, or at least contaminated enough to be explained away. Angel also hoped this would finish off Lindsey for good.

A hasty visit to the hotel allowed everyone to clean up and change clothing. Buffy had summoned her limo and retrieved a suitcase from it containing clothes and personal items. They used the limo to run by a doctor's office that Buffy's connections found to make sure that Nina was indeed suffering from nothing more than a bump on the head. Once that was confirmed they returned to the Hyperion just before the sun came up and slept the entire day away.

When Angel woke the next evening he simply laid in bed. His arm was around Nina and her head was pillowed on his shoulder. Blonde hair spilled down his chest and covered most of her face. He reached over with his free hand and brushed enough of the fine strands away to see her face. She was relaxed and peaceful and smiling in her sleep.

He just watched her. They were going to have a baby. He was going to be a father again. He remembered the shock and amazement at Darla's pregnancy and the war of emotions that had surged through him throughout that entire period. This felt different. This time he was excited in a gentler, happier way.

He stroked the blonde hair and sighed. That sound, gentle as it was, woke Nina. She stretched like a cat before lifting her face to smile at him.

"Good morning."

Angel bent his head and kissed her. "It is indeed a good morning."

"Is Buffy up?" The Slayer had accepted their invitation to spend the night, or rather the day, at the Hyperion. She had hugged them both before staggering off to one of the rooms Nina had cleaned up on the same floor as their suite.

"Haven't heard anything," he confessed.

"Well let's go see."

The pair climbed out of bed and got dressed. The room Buffy had slept in was empty; the bed neatly made but showing signs of having been slept in. They hurried downstairs. There was no sight of their visitor until Angel spotted a white envelope propped on the front desk with their names on it. He opened it and took out a sheet of paper.

"What does she say?" inquired Nina.

"Read it with me," he replied taking a seat on the nearby couch. She say beside him, pulling her feet up underneath herself and laying her head on his shoulder.

"You two are still sleeping so I'm writing this before I take off. Angel, good to see you again. Nina, I certainly didn't think I'd say this a day ago but I'm glad I met you. Take care of Angel, he's prone to get into trouble.

"When the Hellmouth was sealed I decided that it was time I had some fun. Being with the Immortal gave me a chance to experience a lifestyle I always dreamed of. I remember, quite bitterly, working at the Double Meat Palace and scrimping to get by while the Watcher's Council sat on their fat rumps and lived like royalty, writing little notes and dissertations while I did the actual Slaying. You know what though? That life is overrated.

"I know that its much more important to have a purpose in life. I'm glad that you two do and that you have it together. I'm heading back to get Dawn now. We're going to settle in some place where I'm needed, and where Dawn can finish High School and I can go to college. Maybe one day I'll be a real counselor.

"Angel I will always love you but I've realized that I'm not "In love" with you anymore. And you love Nina and she's right for you. If you ever need me contact Willow. She'll always know where to find me. I'll come running.

"By the way, if Nina is right and you have a girl, 'Buffy' is a nice name."

The letter was unsigned.

"Well that was nice," commented Nina with a sigh. "I hope she finds what she's looking for."

"Buffy is a nice name isn't it?" Angel teased.

"Yes," she replied, surprising Angel a bit with her calm acceptance. "But 'Kathy' is much nicer."

Tears filled Angel's eyes at the mention of his little sister's name. "How did you know?"

"I know a lot about you." She smiled and then looked thoughtful. "Except I don't know what we are going to do next."

"Oh I do," Angel assured her.

Chapter 10

"Well, don't keep me in suspense," Nina commented with an upraised eyebrow. "Where?"

"I think its time we returned to see the Oracle."

"She, he, or maybe it, said you would once you knew which pathway you were going to follow. Have you decided?"

"I believe so," stated Angel firmly. He looked at the blonde woman. "What about you? Do you know what you want to do?"

"Oh for heaven's sake Angel," Nina rolled her eyes. "Buffy told me that sometimes you're a bit slow. Haven't you figured it out? I'm doing exactly what I want to right now. I'm with the man I love and miracles of miracles I'm having his baby. I'm making a difference in the world. 'Help the helpless' was your motto and now it's mine too."

Angel marveled at the passion in Nina's voice and the determination on her face. He opened his mouth to say any number of things but to his surprise what popped out was "You discussed me with Buffy?"

"Well, duhhhh," the blonde woman fixed Angel with a look that conveyed how silly she found the question. "Women always discuss lovers, even ex ones. Especially ex ones." She shook her head. "Men."

Darkness fell and the pair made their way to the passage under the Post Office. Nina clutched Angel's hand.

"Worried?"

"A bit," the blonde confessed. "You never know what's going to happen with supernatural powers and stuff. What if she, it, they..."

"What if they try to separate us? " When Nina nodded Angel smiled and squeezed her hand. "Not going to happen," he told her firmly. "You're the woman I love and I'm keeping you with me come what may." The vampire with a soul performed the quick ritual and the pair was transported into the inner room.

This time the figure was waiting for them. The voice was musical; the smile on the creature's face was warm and inviting.

"Greetings Liam and Nina. The time has come and you have returned."

"Once again," whispered Nina in spite of her awe, "Who the HECK is Liam?"

"MY real name. My human name."

The apparition smiled even broader than before. "Yes, Liam O'Neill and Nina Ash. That is who you are and who you will be. Tell me Liam, you have decided which path to walk have you not?"

"I have, but I'm not sure how I can walk it. I want to be human again. I want to see the sun. I want to hold my children in the light. At the same time I have reservations because I know what evil is out there." He looked at Nina and smiled himself. "Someone very important to me once told me I was her hero. I want to find some way to remain that hero because they seem to be in short supply."

"And you fear that becoming human again will put you in the same position it did during the day no one remembers."

"Exactly."

"The day no one remembers?" Nina had promised herself that she would stop interrupting but the question slipped out anyway.

"I became human again when I was exposed to the blood of a demon with regenerative powers," Angel explained. "But I found I couldn't help..."

"Buffy," supplied Nina serenely. "It's okay Angel, err, Liam I mean. I was worried about her for a long time but I'm not anymore."

"God, you're a wonder," marveled Angel.

"You better believe it buster," returned the blonde woman.

A gentle laugh filled the room. The pair hastily switched their attention back to the third figure.

"Oh my, you two. I can see I will enjoy watching over you in the years to come." The tone turned serious. "Liam, do you wish to continue the fight?"

"I do," he replied simply.

"Done."

Angel's eyes opened in shock. He grabbed his chest and fell to his knees. Nina cried out and rushed to his side, wrapping him up in her arms.

"What is it? What's wrong with him?" she demanded.

"Nothing." The answer came from the man she was holding. Trembling in every limb, he took her hand in his and laid it on his chest. "Feel," he directed. Her eyes widened.

"Your heart. It's beating!"

"Liam you have earned your desire. Your life is restored but your strength and agility remain as they were." The figure chuckled. "However no more breathing poison gas in elevators. You need oxygen to live."

"And food?" questioned Angel, suddenly having a mouth watering image of Mint Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Ice Cream.

"No more blood for you."

Nina helped Angel stand up. As she did the figure turned its attention to her.

"And you Nina Ash? What pathway do you feel called to follow?"

"I have already chosen," the girl werewolf replied. She looked up at the face of the tall man her arms still were wrapped around. "It's been said before but I can't improve on the words. '"Do not press me to leave you or to turn back from following you. Where you go, I will go. Where you lodge, I will lodge. Your people shall be my people and your God my God'."

Angel had no words to reply to Nina's declaration. He simply bent his head and gently kissed her on the lips. His eyes spoke all he needed to say.

"Nina you will retain your abilities too. Your strength and speed will be that of your werewolf side but you will not need to change to call upon them." The figure paused. "I sense that you feel you need nothing more, but that you have questions."

"I do wonder about two things," admitted the young woman, whose relief at not having to change forms anymore was obvious.

"What are those?"

"First is her heritage of vampire father and werewolf mother going to cause any problems for our daughter?"

"No. And before you worry more about it, there was no direct interference by any power that allowed this pregnancy to take place. It was a side-effect to Liam's soul being fixed that made it possible. It was not a plot and it will not cause trouble. Not for this child; not for those who will follow."

"Those who will follow?" Two voices were raised as one.

"The future is not fixed. But I see the probability of more children." THe figure seemed to lift a hand. It was a surprise," again laughter filled the air, "To everyone."

"How many?" Nina started before cutting herself off. "Never mind. Let it be a surprise." She touched her stomach, still firm and flat but with just a hint of the beginning of a bulge under her fingertips. "This one certainly was."

"Your second question?"

"This is certainly out of line and possibly impertinent." Nina hesitated and then plunged on. "With all that you can do, why do you allow the world to be in the shape it is in? Couldn't you stop Wolfram and Hart and all the other evil throughout the world? SO much pain and suffering by so many people that shouldn't have to happen."

"Child I understand what you are asking but we can't intervene. It's forbidden. Mankind has to make its own decisions. Free will is your gift and it is not to be overruled and directed by any power, not by my fellows and I, not even by the one who is above us all. Look what happened when that rule is broken."

"You mean Jasmine." Angel stated quietly.

"Yes. Her motives were the noblest. But noble motives do not justify what she did. In order to enact her dream of a world at peace she found it necessary to extend her control over everyone and all of their daily actions. Mankind would have become nothing but robots dedicated to praising her. Eventually her pride would have led her to make the same challenge that the very head of the Senior Partners made ages ago and with the same results. And the human race would have been so crippled by unthinking obedience that it would never reach its full potential."

The figure stopped for a moment as though pondering its next words. "The best way to sum it up is to tell you that when Man no longer allows Evil to flourish then that will be the day the true world peace arrives. In the meantime it is allowed to work its seductions on humanity. Only by freely refusing to accept those seductions can it be brought to an end. So until then we rely on heroes like you two to battle the darkness."

patricia51
patricia51
1,909 Followers
12