Peyton Finds Her Place

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Oh Peyton, you looked disappointed. Were you thinking you might be on to a good thing with my nephew?"

Peyton bit her lip and nodded.

"Then look elsewhere. I'm sure he's a lost cause."

Unpacking the first of her two bags in her bedroom, Peyton was beginning to calm and decided she would go in to the newspaper tomorrow and begin her new job. It was churlish to consider leaving the city simply because her boss preferred to go to bed with someone other than her. God who did she think she was?

After two hours in the job next morning Peyton was ready to believe the news editor, who was her immediate boss, appeared dedicated but probable lacked real talent and her two sub-editors were in a similar mould. She wondered what they thought about her. By the end of the day she'd perceived the older woman Gloria had a clear concept of her own shortcomings and pulled down her dictionary/thesaurus on her computer frequently and didn't hesitate to ask if she thought she required a second opinion. Gloria worked rapidly and that was a big plus and looked around for work when the files sent through to her computer were all completed. The 23-year old Della was a journalism graduate and had failed to impress as a reporter after a three-month trial at another newspaper and had arrived two months ago in reply to an advertisement inviting applications for the position of junior sub-editor.

Initially Peyton thought Della would have to be replaced but then found that being the daughter of ranchers, Della was super-efficient working on stories that would have left Peyton helpless through lack of knowledge. These included articles about livestock diseases, regional water supply test results, farm production stats, stock auction prices and Della also appeared to know everything about the stock market and investment generally. By the end of the day Peyton knew she had a bright young journalist working for her who'd been taught heavily about reporting and only lightly about editing so scheduled to tutor Della in the last thirty minutes of Della's working day.

As she was leaving after the second-day of tuition, Della asked if Peyton wished to join her across the street at the bar frequented by newspaper people, attorneys and people engaged in public relations and education.

"Oh the clear thinker's bar," she said and Della said actually the establishment was known unofficially as the Mule Bar. "You'll know what a mule is?"

"A backless shoe or a small mechanical machines that hauls freight or whatever short distances or the sterile offspring of a male donkey and a female horse."

Della laughed and said, "The previous owner was busted by the police and jailed for his other business not connected with liquor. Mule is slang for a drug courier."

"Omigod," Della giggled and here I was thinking this was rather a dull city."

They had their drinks and were looking for seats as a table when an older guy in an expensive suit kissed Della and ruffled her hair and looking at Peyton asked, "Who's the babe?"

"Let me go. She's my boss so watch your mouth and manners. Peyton this is my uncouth brother Finn Roberts who kids himself that he's an attorney."

"Finn, nice name."

"Hi Peyton, quite a famous name in America. Are you new in town?"

"Why because you haven't seen me before?"

"Yes and how perceptive of you. Do you think I must be new in town because you haven't seen me before?"

"You're weird. Let's find a table Della."

"Peyton it would be a real pleasure to me if you and Della will sit with Mike and me."

"What a lovely invitation. Thank you. I'll sit with you and Mike but can't presume to speak for Della."

Della said, "She obviously doesn't take to smart asses Finn. You just managed to save yourself before the bell. Yes we'll sit with you guys."

Mike was a young doctor and Peyton really fancied him. But half an hour later he looked at his watch and said he must hurry home to his new bride because she was still keen to see home arrive home to pour her a pre-dinner drink.

A few minutes later a young guy joined them and kissed Della very affectionately and stood with his arm around his waist as Della introduced him to Peyton as Gene.

"Well we are off to night classes," Della said. "Gene is taking computer studies and I'm studying public relations because that option wasn't offered at college. Ask Peyton to dinner Finn. Bye.

Peyton smiled. "I believe Della set this up."

"Yeah smart thinking. She called me and said she wanted to meet me here but declined to say why."

"May I decline the invitation that hasn't be given?"

"Certainly not."

"Excuse me?"

"I find most women boring but you could be different. You sized me up in an instant and virtually told me to get stuffed and began walking away from me."

"Well I've not had much success with men recently."

"Neither have I."

"Are you gay?"

"What? Christ no... oh I see how that reply must have confused you. I meant neither have I had much joy with women lately."

"Are we two misfits?"

Finn looked at her carefully, taking in her relaxed smile.

"I almost rejected that tag with the speed of a scalded cat. Yes in terms of dating we must be out on a limb a bit from our declared positions."

"I've begun to worry about my lack of success with the opposite sex and same-sex associations at that level leaves me cold."

"Please allow me to get you another wine and then I wish to hear all."

"Thank you, that's so kind."

Finn looked at Peyton thoughtfully and then said, "May I say something personal?"

"That I have great tits?"

His eyes flicked down at them and back to hold her gaze again. "I was about to say you have a lovely face."

"Sorry, please allow me to blush for being so wrong."

"No it's fine. I guess a number of guys have mentioned the appeal of your breasts?"

"Yes it's not unusual. You are now making a favorable impression."

He grinned. Hold this table against interlopers with your life."

She smiled and saluted, "Yes sir."

He returned and Peyton began by saying she was from Boston and talked about the guys in her life who'd disappointed her.

Finn, who'd listened very attentively and made sympathetic comments, then related a similar tale including two fiancées who'd jilted him.

When he finished she said, "Well for both of us I guess that's life."

"Indeed. I think part of my problem is I tended to treat women frivolously and only some women can cope with that."

Peyton nodded and said perhaps she leant the other way, expecting too much of men.

That led Finn to suggest, "Perhaps an insouciant relationship might work for you?"

She smiled. "It might. Who knows?"

As they were about to leave the restaurant Finn said, "Well what about tomorrow night?"

She smiled and said no doubt tomorrow night would arrive and he looked surprised and said he'd been suggesting a date.

"When did you suggest that?"

"Just then."

"I might have responded had I heard it."

He sighed and put more effort into it. "Shall we do something together tomorrow night... er a movie perhaps? I'd really like that."

Peyton thought if he was like this now he'd never change. She wanted a guy who'd love her and really care about her.

She looked at the check and pulled half of the payment from her billfold and dropped check and money on the table. She said being new in town and new in her job she wanted time to settle and so was not ready to date yet.

He looked at her money on the table, added his half and smiled and said it had been a nice evening. He offered to drive her home but she said she lived not far away and would enjoy the walk.

He didn't argue. They kissed lightly and he watched her walk away.

Peyton thought when she wanted to hire an attorney she'd prefer not to hire one who'd confessed he was frivolous.

When she arrived home Aunt Alice said, "Thanks for the call that you wouldn't be home for dinner."

"Omigod, sorry. I had no intention of not calling. I had a couple of drinks in a bar and then accepted an invitation to dine at a restaurant. Oh sorry I was so... so frivolous."

"That's all right and thanks for the apology. At least you have begun meeting people. Um do you have anything organized for this weekend?"

"Not a thing. Being new here I'm not in demand yet."

"Well Ralph and I go to the ranch Friday evening a return after lunch Sunday. We go to see our son and to look at the cattle and talk about his management of things. Sam encourages his father to take this level of interest."

"I-I really don't know."

"I promise that you won't be intruding. Sam's manner is very much like mine although perhaps he is a little softer. I really want you to come with us."

Peyton's face lit up and she said she'd love to go and asked would she be able to ride a horse.

"Oh so you ride?"

"No but I've always wanted to try to ride a horse. Could you please call Sam before we leave to advise I'll be included in the party."

"There is no need to tell him that darling. I told him about you and he said, and I quote, "Jesus mom if she looks and sounds that great bring her here this weekend so I can check her out."

Peyton colored and said didn't Sam have a girlfriend and Aunt Alice said several but none good enough to cross the bar. Peyton didn't ask what that meant so thought perhaps they all had tiny breasts. Men could be difficult about something like that. They were prepared to ignore the brain being tiny, er at least that's what her mom believed.

Next afternoon Dave said hi and said quite loudly so his voice carried in the newsroom, "Peyton I really like the tweaking you are doing to the layout of our newspaper. Others have noticed it too."

Peyton smiled happily and thought what a lie saying others had noticed. No one in the newsroom had said a word, not even her crew.

Dave then dumped a pile of letters and emails in front of her.

It was feedback from readers. All praised recent improvements in the appearance of their newspaper. Comments included:

'A more modern look appears to be involving.' [evolving]

'Jesus it's great to see the old farmyard look slipping away.'

'Every day I look to see the latest almost subtle changes. Looking good and good luck. Harry Setter. I'm the retired guy you as chief sub.'

The news editor and chief reporter came over and began reading and reporters joined them.

"This is good. It's years since this newspaper received complimentary correspondence from the readership," lied the chief reporter and others began to praise Peyton, making her feel she was beginning to be accepted in her new work environment.

CHAPTER 3

Aunt Alice drove their 1994 Ford Crown Victoria and had Peyton sitting in the front with her and gave Peyton a non-stop commentary on everything she saw. Ralph dozed in the back seat.

"Well there is our income-producing patch of dirt," she said, pointing to two barns with two grain silos towering above them.

Ralph became alive and said, "We have 79,400 acres here Peyton and that's quite a large spread for this region and what we really have is good water supply. We raise cattle to sell off for fattening and we crop wheat for sale and corn for our own feed and we have irrigate hay and alfalfa pastures of great quality but we also have some bad lands that are good for almost nothing."

"Very interesting Mr Andrews."

"It's about time you began calling me Ralph."

"Okay Ralph. Is this son of yours a worthy successor?"

"What kind of question is that?"

"Answer the girl Ralph. She wouldn't have asked unless she had reason."

"He's turning into a top rancher Peyton because he's big into new proven developments and is big into technology. He's already a better rancher than I ever was."

"You're never said that before," his wife said.

"That's because no one asked until today."

The astonished look on Aunt Alice's face made Peyton grin.

A tall lean guy in boots, tight jeans and a new checked shirt emerged from the house waving.

"Why's Sam all dolled up?"

"Use your head darling."

"What does that mean?"

"Jesus Ralph, we are arriving with a young lady he's never met."

"Oh."

When Peyton got out of the car and stretched facing Sam she saw his jaw drop. She dropped her arms quickly and smiled and said hi Sam and he replied hi Peyton and his mom said it was obviously introductions weren't necessary.

"Welcome to Sunderland Fields, so named by my great-grandfather."

"Thank you. You look young to be a rancher."

"Oh thanks. And how old does one have to be to qualify as a rancher?"

"Oh shyte. I'm prone to make statements without thinking."

"That's understandable because as an editor your mind is turned to work looking for erroneous statements."

"Yes perhaps so. That's really good thinking."

"Actually you're very young to be an editor."

"Oh and how old does one...?" She stopped, catching the grin. "Your mom warned me there were no flies on you."

They all laughed and Sam went to the truck and unloaded his father's bag and his mom's two bags and said looking at the bag Peyton had in her hand, "You travel light."

"Well I sleep nude, won't require much make-up out at a ranch and it's warm weather and so three changes of light clothing for under three days is quite sufficient don't you think?"

"Well yes."

The ranch house rambled and was old but well built and had been modernized, to make it more airy. The huge fireplace in the living room greatly impressed Peyton.

Sam spotted the interest and said, "We get heavy snowfalls being this high up. The old-timers would have cured bacon in that high fireplace. The rings to hold the hooks remain embedded in the stone."

"It's a historical masterpiece and looking upwards Peyton said, "And so are those massive ceiling beams hand-sawn?"

"You know about early architecture?"

"Well I do read a lot and watch documentaries on TV."

"So do I?"

Peyton couldn't help looking at him in obvious interest and he was ready for that, smiling.

He asked would Peyton like to help his mom prepare dinner.

"I don't get to eat fine cooking because I live alone. But the big piece of beef has been slow roasting to hours.'

"I'll make you a desert. How would you like meringue-topped deep apple tart providing you have apples."

"I do. Oh my, that sounds like something out of a Julia Childs cookbook."

"So you know of Julia Childs?"

"Yeah and don't look surprised. I get DVDs by mail order and the DVD of the film on the story of her life arrived some months ago. I love it and thought it was gas, especially with Meryl Streep talking as if she had a sock stuffed in her mouth."

"Oh we must talk films. I'm quite a fan. I guess I ought to be in the kitchen."

Sam looked at her without embarrassment. "I must say it's a pleasure having you at the ranch Peyton. You are very pretty."

"Thanks. Why don't you grab some beer and allow your father to catch up about what's been happening on the ranch."

"You think well if a city girl."

"Yes and you ought not be surprised."

They laughed.

Dinner was great and Peyton thought it was not surprising that Ralph appeared to have shifted his mind and body up a couple of gears. He was very animated and looked very much at home in that environment.

The oldies were off to watch TV, leaving Sam and Peyton to talk films, music, the newspaper and the ranch.

She suspected Sam was holding back saying she knew a lot for a woman and thought the poor guy needed to extend his social activity beyond the local community.

"What do you do for sex living here by yourself?"

Sam paled in shock.

"Are your really meaning to ask me that?"

"Yes, I rarely waste breath asking about what I'm not interesting in knowing."

He looked nervously at the closed door to the TV room.

"Um I have friendships with a number of people."

"And?"

"Including very close friendships with currently seven females."

"And how many of them have regular boyfriends or are married?"

Sam choked and said three were married.

"Naughty boy Sam," Peyton giggled. "I guess you realize playing around like that could lead to really big trouble?"

"Yeah and I've had a couple of close calls."

"You wouldn't be much of a rancher as a cripple or with half of your brain dead from a pipe being bent over your head."

Sam stroked his jaw.

"Say something deep about this Sam. You are possibly on the cusp of experiencing big strife."

He pulled at an ear and said thoughtfully, "I'm a pretty sensible guy but sometimes passion gets in the way of sense."

"That's excellent thinking Sam. Now just think about this. We all like to think we need sex but just how good will you be at that if one dark night one of those husbands gets the drop on you and cuts off your dick?"

"Jesus Peyton, stop scaring the crap out of me."

"I'll get coffee while you go in and chat to your parents Oh what we just discussed ought not be repeated."

"Yeah right. Um are you interested in me?"

"Yes Sam, now off you go and chat to your mom about things that interest her. On you may as well know she'd brought me out here to find if I'm interested in you."

"Get away with you. How could you know that? Mom has a big mouth but I bet that's something she would not have done."

"Believe me Sam, interesting sons in young women is what moms do."

* * *

No way could Sam belief his mom was setting him up he decided as he entered the TV room. His father was asleep and his mom was switching channels aimlessly.

"Hi, well?"

"Well what?" he asked with growing alarm.

"What do you think of that beautiful lady I've brought here?"

"She's all right."

Alice practically spat, "She's only all right. Darling open you eyes and get your brain activating. That is one bright, intelligent and brainy lady who'll bear magnificent grandchildren."

"What?" he said, appalled.

"Oh sorry, forget that last bit. My mind was running away on me."

"Mom currently I'm having sex with Erin Miller, Susie White and Vin Bruckner to name three of the seven."

"I know their mothers. Why haven't you named the other four? Are they married women?"

"Mom I'm not stupid," Sam said evasively. "And why should I take an interest in Peyton when I have daughters of solid ranching people to play with?"

"And now who's really stupid," Alice snapped. "God why do women have to reply on men?"

Sam decided not to provoke his mom by answering that. Instead he said, "I must say she has a great figure."

"Now that's adopting a more positive attitude Sam. Butter her up tonight and you might get lucky and she'll to see you again."

"Mom you are out of touch. Today's young women have sex with men, and some with both men and women although not necessarily at the same time, as a favored recreational activity, with much the same approach and enthusiasm as guys have when they go to a ball game. And the guy they have sex with tonight can be changed like a dress and they have it off with a different guy the next night."

"That's being promiscuous."

"They don't think so."

"Well let's forget that. Just please me Sam by having a go at her.

"I'll think about it."

Alice gritted her teeth and just at that moment Peyton arrived with coffee on a tray.

"Peyton if you feel you require our approval to associate with Sam than you have it?"

"Mom!"

"It's okay Sam. Your mom probably thinks I'm too shy to give you the eye. Well I'm not. If you want to cuddle up to me Sam well here I am."

Sam jumped up and strode to the door.

"Where are you going?" his mom shrilled.

"Out."

Alice looked at Peyton and said she was sorry. Perhaps she ought not have interfered.

Peyton shrugged and said it was okay. Half the time guys didn't know what they wanted.

Sam left the house and walked over to the nearest barn now really feeling like sex.