All Comments on 'PLUR-dahar'

by cowboy109

Sort by:
  • 1 Comment
AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
An emotional rollercoaster through the world of rave

Surprisingly ambitious-- this story crosses through so many emotional ups and downs. At times it's very rave-idealistic, then it plunges into dark places and back again. Sometimes the meaning of encounters isn't really quite explained, or maybe it's more in Kandace's head anyway.

Kandace herself is a complicated heroine. A lot of readers might find her very brave and strong, but I also appreciate the complexity of her imperfections. She's likeable, but it may be she's doomed to make bad decisions. The ambiguous ending can be read different ways: did her encounter with Jason mean anything? Maybe it's new love; maybe it was just a beautiful encounter; maybe, considering the drugs and their being strangers, he gave her herpes. It could be read any of these ways. Things like the nursing mistake she may have made-- is this just her self-accusing paranoia? But maybe she's not very bright.

This is a sexy evocation of the rave world, but it's a warts-and-all tour of a fantasy space that ultimately perhaps just sells false dreams. In any event, it is a sexy and thought-provoking read.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous