Redwood Nine: Season 03 Ch. 05

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

JT motioned to the guys to go around and cut him off, while he, Lenny and Piney rode down the alley and around back. The thief was standing and counting his money, when he heard the bikes and stopped, cramming the bills in his pocket and taking off again. He pulled over garbage cans to block their way, but the rumble coming towards him, let him know his way was blocked. He froze and waited, as man and machine surrounded him and gave him no where to go.

His look was desperate, as though his life depended on him succeeding in getting away. Tears of frustration and submission to failure swept over him, his goal so close in sight and now taken from him. They watched him crumble to the ground weeping, no longer able to think of his needs, just the pain and emptiness tearing at him inside. They looked at the man, dirty and smelling of body odour, his skin pale and clammy with sweat. He looked around at the club, waiting to see what his fate and punishment would be.

JT walked forward and held his hand out to help the man up, the cowering thief unsure what the intent of it was.

"Take it and stand up. We're not going to beat the shit out of you, or anything. We know why you took the money."

The thief looked around at the guys and saw no aggression towards him, his fears diminishing, as he took JT's hand and slowly stood up.

"Now hand over the money and let's go back and apologize. Maybe the store owner won't press charges, if you give it back to him and say how sorry you are for doing it."

With hands shaking violently, he reached into his pocket and retrieved the wad of crumpled bills. He looked at them with the desperation of his need, knowing the suffering was going to continue once he handed the money over. He looked at JT with a pleading in his eyes, hoping he would still have a fix, or anything to take the abysmal aching away.

"Hurting pretty bad for some of that shit, aren't you?"

His head nodded rapidly, unable to completely let go of the salvation in his hands.

"Let's square up with the owner and let him get back to business and if you agree, we'll get you some help to get off that shit."

The man saw the truth in JT's eyes and believed in him, as he slowly moved the cash closer to his hands. JT took the money and started walking him back down the alley and on to the street. The owner was nursing several bad scrapes from his fall, but smiled in relief to see the thief and his money coming back. Before the owner started in on the man to voice his anger at him, JT raised his hand and motioned to calm himself.

"What's your name?"

"Vernon, Vernon Wells. That my money you got there?"

"Yes, not sure if it's all there, but count it and see."

Vernon took the wad of bills and made his way past the small crowd. Sirens could be heard approaching the area, then Unser and another patrol car rushed to a stop in front of the crowd. As the officers approached, JT took the urgency away and assured them everything was under control. He handed the thief over to the other patrolman, who handcuffed him and placed him in the back of the car.

"What happened, JT?"

"We were coming through town and saw that guy running away and Vernon chasing after him. Saw Vernon fall and the guy took off down the alley. We cut him off and brought him and the money back. He's one of those junkies we just talked about, Wayne, sorry, Deputy Chief Unser. He's hurting for a hit real bad. He said he's willing to get help and I said if we get the money back and apologize real good, the owner might not press charges. I told you it would make good people do bad shit, so here's the first case and how do you handle it?"

Wayne looked at JT, then turned and looked at the man in the back of the cruiser, head bowed and crying miserably. He knew him and knew he wasn't a criminal, but a crime was committed and it was a matter of principle, versus a matter of compassion. He walked up to the store and saw Vernon finishing his count of the money.

"Is it all there, Vernon?"

"Yes, it's all here, Officer Unser."

"You okay? Not hurt too bad, or anything?"

Vernon showed him the bad scrapes on his hands, knees and elbow, the material shredded away and the raw skin angry with blood.

"How did it happen? He use a gun on you?"

"I was putting food on the shelves, when I heard the till open and saw that man grabbing all the bills. He took off and I was chasing him and tripped up. Those gang guys went after them and got him, that's all I know."

"Okay. They're not gang guys though, Vernon, they're a club and run a business in town like you do. So, this guy didn't threaten you, or hurt you, just stole the cash and took off?"

Vernon felt bad about being admonished for his choice of words, as he looked at the club outside.

"No, he never threatened me in any way, he looked more scared of me, than I was of him."

"Do you want me to press charges?"

Vernon looked at Unser with spite in his eyes.

"You throw that bastard in jail and throw away the key. He don't deserve to be walking the streets of this town."

"The most I could charge him with is attempted robbery. You got all the money back and nothing really bad happened. He didn't threaten you, or use a weapon, so the most he'd get is a year, or two. What he does need, is help. Let me take him in and then to St. Thomas and see what they can do to help. He's hurting bad and before this, he was a good person, never had any trouble with him. You really want me to make his life any worse than it is?"

"What's his problem, Officer?"

"He's one of the people who got hooked on that shit those bikers were selling. We need to help them get off it and get back to being normal people again. They just need help, not thrown in jail. What do you say, Vernon? Willing to give the guy a break?"

Vernon looked at the misery of the man in the cruiser, studying him and reasoning why compassion outweighed justice. He looked at the club members, talking with the police and other citizens, the respect for what they said being taken with consideration. The lines of distinction were blurred, in who was the good guy and who was the bad. Appearances were clouding the truths he relied on, seeing those he thought of as bad, being the ones who were doing the good. He looked at Unser again, his spite gone and a look of forgiveness coming across him.

"It's better this way, Vern. Trust me."

"Okay, but make sure he's watched over, he can't be out free, wandering around."

"No, he'll be under constant control at the hospital. He won't be back out, until he's cured. Let's just say it'll be like jail, without the bars."

"In that case, I can go along with what you want to do."

"Thanks Vern."

Just before Unser walked out of the store, Vernon stopped him.

"Officer Unser, exactly how many of these people do we have around town?"

"Not really sure, Vern. Maybe a dozen. Maybe more, maybe less. Won't know till we see them. Not hard to miss, they look like death warmed over."

"Yeah, he did look sorta like that, didn't he?"

"Bad stuff to get a hold of you, Vernon. The guys are making sure the stuff stays out of Charming, keeping close tabs on things for me."

"So they're good guys?"

"Just stopped a crime and got your money back. Saved our town from big business taking over. Held that raffle for my dad and helped him out. Now they're the ones trying to help these poor souls shake this shit off. You tell me if they're saints or sinners. Have a good day, Vernon, hope that mends up fast."

Vernon never said anything, as Wayne walked back out and over to the small crowd still lingering.

"So who we got in the back?"

"Lowell Harland, twenty one, still lives with his parents on Grant Street. No priors, nothing before this at all, pretty normal guy otherwise. So what's the story on Mr. Wells? He going to press charges?"

"No, he's dropping them, so we can help the guy get straightened out. We'll take him in and let him know the score and if he goes in voluntarily to get cleaned up, he won't face any charges. He has to be declared clean by a doctor, before he's released."

"Sounds good. I'll get him in and start the paperwork. You want to let him know what the deal is, or should I?"

"Just start the paperwork. I still have to run this by the chief. I guess the mayor isn't going to have a hard time coming up with something to handle this now."

The officer left and drove away with Lowell in the back, his remorse unwilling to let him be at peace. Unser dispersed the small crowd and explained the city would be announcing something shortly, giving them something to calm themselves and something to worry about. Once they were alone, Unser talked to the guys.

"So, the shit has hit the fan and it's barely been a couple of hours since we just talked about it. The mayor probably knows about it already and so does my boss. I gotta go in and get this ball rolling and I need your help to do it, JT. I need to tell him how it's all supposed to work and what we're supposed to do about it and I ain't got all the answers figured out yet. Shit, I gotta run this town and I ain't got all the parts and pieces to make it work right. Feel like parking in the authorized parking again?"

"Well, that was fun, wasn't it? Okay, but we all park there. The club is in this as well."

Wayne looked at the faces of the club, seeing them anxious to do it.

"Sure, you can all park there."

Cheers went up from the guys, as Wayne went to his cruiser. Before he got in, JT shouted to him.

"Give us an escort to the station with the lights on and shit. Let's have a little fun."

Wayne smirked and shook his head and got in his cruiser. He saw the guys start up their bikes and waited for him to go. He laughed to himself and turned the lights on and hit the siren for a short burst, then lead the way to the station. The half mile ride was met with broad smiles, as Unser went through red lights with the club following close behind. No one questioned them as to the reason for the escort, but the curiosity levels peaked. The stares were more obvious, when they all lined up beside Unser and took up all the available parking spots. Unser led them in and went straight back to the chief's office.

He paused for a second and looked back at the guys.

"Just gimme a second with him, let me explain why we're all here."

They agreed and Unser knocked and heard the chief call to come in. He went in and they could hear some of what was being said and it wasn't long before the door opened and the guys found the chief coming from behind his desk and greeting them with handshakes.

"Nice work fellas. Wayne was telling me how you caught the guy and held him for him."

"Thanks, Chief Grant, but maybe Way... Deputy Chief Unser should explain things a bit further. The guy's just hurting for some of that heroin and needs help getting off it."

"Yeah, he checks out clean, no priors, hasn't been to church in over two months, I noticed, same church and all. He didn't try to hurt anyone, just wanted the money and gave it all back. No resisting. So, we talked to the mayor earlier..."

"So I heard. Might have ran it by me first, chain of command and all."

Wayne saw the look and knew he had stepped on toes, but a look of bygones be bygones was given and motioned to proceed.

"Sorry, you're right. It was a timing thing. JT and I were discussing it at the Hairy Dog. Will said there's no more bikers showing up, but there's a lot of junkies wondering where to get the stuff now. If Mr. Harland was looking for money, perhaps he found a source for it. I want to offer him a deal to get off. He goes to St. Thomas and gets cleaned up and back to normal and if a doctor says he's clean and fit, he can go home. I want to know where he was getting it, if it ain't in Charming. JT and his guys are keeping an ear to the ground for me, seeing if they get any hint of it being sold close by. Might not be our jurisdiction, but it's our people that are getting hurt by it and we have to deal with it, as soon as possible. I told the mayor I had no authority to just arrest them because they're junkies, they had to commit a crime and then I could."

The chief was nodding as he listened, happy everything was thought out and being handled. If it played out right, he could take some credit for it, if not, he could put all the blame elsewhere and stay clear of the aftermath.

"No sooner do we leave the mayor's office and I start my patrol, and I get the call about Harland. I figure you should have as much as the mayor and more to go on. These people need help, that's all. How do we help them before they commit a crime? I asked him to see if council could adopt something to grant us that power. If you could get on this and push for it, they'd listen to you, more than JT, or even me."

"This is your idea, Teller?"

"More or less, sir. I know what he did was wrong, but it's why he did it that was wrong too. He wasn't in his right mind, it was that crap he's on, that's what's making him do it. We're doing our best to spot anybody selling that stuff, we've seen what it does and we don't want anyone in this town getting hooked on it."

"Funny, but we need more citizens like you guys."

"Why's that funny, Chief?"

"Well, you know, bike gang being the good guys. Usually the other way around, right?"

"Well, guess you learn something new everyday after all."

"What's that?"

"You can't judge a book by its cover. We're not a gang, Chief Grant. We're a bunch of guys who like to ride together, sort of like being back in 'Nam, when we watched each others backs. Calling us a gang, is like calling us criminals, isn't it?"

The chief swallowed his words hard, knowing he had insulted what was turning out to be model citizens, ones he was going to award a commendation to soon enough. His face spoke all the apologies needed, as it reddened deeper and deeper in embarrassment.

"No, no, of course you're not criminals, it was just a slip of the tongue, sorry I said it. Please, go on, Mr. Teller."

JT shrugged it off and went on with his thoughts to the mayor. The guys couldn't help but start smirking and stifling laughs, as JT continued into the tenth minute of explaining everything. He paused to a stop and turned to the guys, seeing them motion to speed it up and get to it already. He realized he had rambled on a bit too much and let the chief digest what he had said. The chief looked at the guys again, more a look of acceptance and understanding towards them. Getting past appearances was hard for the generation before. Hair and beards were the norm on young men, some guys and girls looking and dressing the same, making it hard to tell one from the other. This was another case like that, where painting everything with the same brush, ended up with it painting your own face.

"I truly appreciate everything you've said, Mr. Teller. I see where you're coming from and I have to agree with your logic and the compassion. No sense turning good people into criminals, they're much better helping the community to grow and prosper. I'll be getting in touch with his Honour shortly. Gentlemen, a pleasure to see you all again, ride safely and once again, my thanks. Deputy Chief Unser, if you'd stay a moment."

The chief shook their hands once again, closing the meeting, as Wayne showed them out and closed the door behind them.

"You really trust those guys, Unser?"

Wayne looked at the chief for a moment, then looked away.

"I do. Take away the cuts and bikes and we'd be pinning awards on them for being good people. I try to look past the obvious and see them for who they are. I was just as guilty for thinking gang at first, but I got to know them better and they're just a bunch of guys who like to ride bikes and have fun. Only calls I get about them, are ones to say they done something good. Yeah, I trust them."

Chief Grant looked at Unser, gauging the merit of his words and eventually agreed with a nod.

"Okay, I'll go along with you on that. Thanks for the info on these people, I'll get on the blower to the mayor right now and give him my take on it. I hope this doesn't land back in my lap as a pile of shit, Unser. I'd hate to see that."

"It can't Chief. It's a way to look good for the next election, trust me. People see you supporting helping them, instead of costing the taxpayers lots of money to house and feed them for as long as we got them, they'll back you all the way."

"Yeah, guess I can use that angle to cover my ass. Good work, Unser, I'm getting more comfortable with you as my second."

"Always got your six, Chief."

"Always a Marine. Taught you well."

"I understood the concept of it all. Like to think I did my country proud wearing the uniform."

"You're a good man, Unser. Alright, get out there and keep our town safe and I'll get to this matter."

"Gotcha, Chief."

Wayne smiled at him and got one back, then left the office and went outside, where the guys were waiting for him.

"So, what's the deal, Wayne? He going to back this idea?"

"I think so, JT. He seems to get the reason for doing it. He's calling the mayor now and pushing for it to happen, so we'll see what the council comes up with to solve this."

"Yeah, before the shit happens."

"Yeah, no kidding. I like my job, but I hate busting people I know, specially when it's someone else's doing that caused it."

Heads nodded, a consensus between them that sides were together on it and the town was being taken care of.

"We were on our way to Lumpy's for some grub, when all that happened, want to join us for a bite, or a coffee?"

"Yeah, sure. I got time for a quick bite and a chat."

"Great, lead the way and we're right behind you."

Wayne laughed loudly, knowing they wanted him to do another escort through town to the restaurant. Thinking of what they had started and accomplished so far, he felt they deserved the recognition and started his cruiser and turned on the lights. He led the way and sounded his siren at intersections to let them through. People on the street stood and wondered, but no one showed any objection to it.

Lumpy's became a bit more boisterous when they sat and doubled the number of customers in there. Lumpy was out from the office to greet them personally and take their orders. The club were favourites of his, whenever they came in. The daily tallies were always good, especially when the club and the commune came in to feast.

The club was enjoying the meal and talking to Wayne, when the door opened and Chico came in with Miguel. They came over and Lumpy was asking their orders before they were at the table. Chairs were brought over and space made for them, as Lumpy was back with cups, saucers and a pot of coffee. He poured two cups and asked if anyone wanted topped up, giving some to those who asked and emptied the pot. He was smiling and humming, as he went about refilling the pot and shouting in for the orders to come out.

Wayne was awestruck, when he was introduced to Miguel and heard his story. Without any knowledge of the event, the guys had taken it upon themselves to bring a good resolve to a tragic event.

"How is your son? Is he still in hospital?"

Miguel looked to Chico for the translation and replied to him. Chico told Wayne what was happening and Unser smiled and looked at the club members.

"You're doing all this for these people?"

"Yeah, couldn't just leave them there, or sitting at the hospital and no way to pay. So, while Domingo stays in the hospital, his dad here is a guest at the clubhouse. I think Domingo gets to go home tomorrow, is that right, Chico?"

"Si, we just came from there. The doc says he'll be okay and to come get the cast off in eight weeks. Said he's going to need therapy to build the muscles up again and walk properly. You don't want to know the price of what that is, I asked. So I figured, what if we buy the kid a bike, it's cheap and he gets to exercise and thing, you know?"