Redwood Nine: Season 03 Ch. 06

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

JT asked where Moon was and was told he was on the tractor, pulling stumps with Walter for a new field to plant. He and Keith walked out to the area and saw them working on a large oak stump that wasn't giving up its hold. Walter saw them coming and waved, the guys waving back. Moon backed off the tractor and shut it down and jumped off to greet them.

"Just what we need, a bit more muscle to get this stubborn mule to move."

"Sure, we can do that, but I have to talk to you Moon, we have a situation we need to discuss."

"Can it wait until we get this out?"

"Sure, I guess."

"Okay, then let's get this stump out and we'll take a break. Got four out so far and that gives us half the field so far."

"Doing a great job you guys, looks good."

"Thanks, so let's get to it then, shall we?"

Moon jumped up and started the tractor, easing forward to get tension on the chains. Walter, JT and Keith went to work digging away at the roots and chopping them off. Slowly the stump began giving up its purchase of ground and the crackling of wood became more pronounced, as it began coming out. Moon gave it more gas and the tractor's torque was more than a match for it, pulling it all the way out. Moon hauled it over to the pile of stumps they had gathered and shut it down again.

"Alright, so what's the situation, JT?"

"Come, we need to go for a walk and talk about it."

Walter looked worried, feeling the situation had undertones of trouble, as he looked at JT and studied his expression. Keith led him back to the house to get a drink and rest, while JT and Moon went to the outcropping to talk. Once they were there, they sat on the flat stone and Moon looked at JT to begin.

"We have some serious shit to deal with, Moon."

"Like what?"

"You know we helped the cops bust those bikers dealing dope in Charming, right?"

"Yes, why?"

"We had a visit from some of their friends today at the clubhouse."

"What did they say?"

"Not much, they spoke with bullets."

"What?"

"Yeah and I'm worried we haven't seen the last of them either. We found out they have a hit out on us and they attacked us right after the run south. I have the police on it, as well as the county sheriffs, but I don't trust them to do what we need to do, to stay safe. I made some calls and we have some people coming to help us, but I'm worried this could spill over into this place."

"You think those guys would attack us?"

"I don't know, but I don't want to take any chances. They've been watching us and finding out what they can about us and I don't doubt they know we live here. If they can't get us in Charming, I'm worried they'll come after us here."

"JT, this is not good. I warned you long ago about what you were getting into and my concerns on how it might affect the commune. I can't have anyone put in harm's way by what you're doing."

"I know, I know. That's why I came here as soon as I could to let you know. I don't want to see anyone getting hurt, especially not innocent people. I've decided to keep the club away from here until this blows over."

"Do you really think this will blow over and that's the end of it?"

"I have no idea, Moon. I would hope it will, but I can't give you any guarantees."

Moon sat and looked at JT for a moment and then looked off into the ether, contemplating the new situation. JT waited patiently, knowing Moon was searching for an answer. He looked at the clouds slowly drifting across the sky before them and hoped the right cloud held the answer.

"I think it will be wise for you and the rest of the club to stay away from here. The girls are welcome to stay, we'll do our best to keep them safe, but I don't know about the club and the commune ever returning to the way things were. We have grown too far apart in our understanding of what we want here and how we wish to live. Running some grass north was one thing, but guns and violence were never to be a part of it. I don't know what to do right now, but you being here is putting us all at risk."

"I know, Moon and I'm sorry."

"I believe you are, JT. I know how good a man you are and your desire to live in peace and happiness is equal to my own, but the road you have gone down is not one any of us wishes to follow you on. The last thing any of us want, is to see someone get hurt."

"Already happened. Piney's in the hospital recovering from a shot in the shoulder."

"What? Piney's been shot? How is he? Is he going to be okay?"

"Yeah, yeah, he'll be okay, nothing too serious. He'll be out in a couple of days."

"My worst fears are coming to pass, JT. I saw trouble coming and told Spirit about it. She could see it too. We had our beliefs, bullets would be the bane of our existence here. I tried to believe it was only my worries, but now it has come to pass and my worst fears have happened."

"I'm so sorry, Moon, I really am."

"I don't doubt it, JT, but sorry isn't going to protect us now. You've created something for us that we wanted to stay as far away from as possible. How are we supposed to deal with this threat? We're not violent people."

"I know, that's why I want a couple of guys hanging around, just to make sure."

"And what, parade around with guns drawn?"

"No, no, nothing like that. I'll have them patrolling the roads around here, making sure no one even comes close to here."

"That I can live with, as long as nothing, and I mean nothing lands here."

"I give you my solemn promise to make sure that happens, Moon."

"Please JT, do all you can to protect this place from the trouble you've caused."

JT was going to rebut Moon's statement, but realized that even though they were not the cause of the trouble, it was because of their criminal involvement. Instead, he nodded in agreement and Moon put an arm over his shoulders, knowing the burden was landing on his shoulders to deal with everything.

"I know you didn't want this trouble JT, but it's happened and it's because of your choices that you've made. I tried to warn you and I know Jake warned you about getting involved in what you are doing, yet you went ahead and did it anyway."

"I can't argue that, Moon. Everything you said is true. I feel real bad about it all and sometimes I wish I could go back and change things."

"But we both know that can never happen. Choices were made and the repercussions must be dealt with. This has truly changed our relationship, JT."

"I guess it has, Moon. We'll talk about it all once this has been settled and there's no more threat of danger to this place."

"Yes, for now, let's go and tell the others of this news. They need to know what is affecting their lives."

With saddened hearts, the pair walked back to the house and went inside. The atmosphere wasn't as joyful as it normally was, eyes looking at JT to understand why.

"I have some bad news everyone."

JT told everyone what had happened and what was planned in response, but it didn't take away the feelings in their hearts, that the news created. Disappointment was clearly shown and JT felt every eye bore into his soul. With little else to say, he went to go back outside, when Suzy stopped him.

"It's not your fault, Baby. We know you didn't plan for this to happen. Everyone's a bit freaked out by it all. I know you'll do your best to protect us and we still trust you."

"Maybe so, Babe, but it's because of us that this is happening. I can see the hurt in their eyes and it's killing me to see it, knowing we've done this to them."

"Forget it, come on, let's go outside in the beautiful sunshine and smoke a joint together."

JT nodded and walked with Suzy outside and sat on the porch steps. She pulled a joint out from behind her ear and looked to JT to light it for her. JT used his Zippo to light it and looked at the insignia on the cover, feeling he was back to being a soldier and not a civilian. He slid the lighter back in his cut and took the joint from Suzy when she passed it to him. He drew deeply on it and inhaled the smoke, his mind still drifting to all parts of his brain, hearing and seeing moments of the past flash before him.

He passed the joint back to Suzy and bowed his head, as he let out the smoke. She started toking on it and then heard the stifled sobs coming from her lover. The moment her hand touched him, JT couldn't hold back the feelings of regret and cried openly.

Suzy knew there were no words that could ease him, so she snubbed the lit end out and put her arms around him, holding him in comfort to her. JT let his remorse out, not holding back the feelings that haunted his soul. Suzy knew her man was a man of honour, a man that cared and loved with all his heart. In his quest to be free, he had left behind one set of shackles and was now clamped in new ones.

She let him pour out his sorrow, letting him release all that was inside him. Once the sobs receded, he turned with tear soaked eyes to her, a need for forgiveness in them. She pulled him to her and kissed his brow softly.

"I love you, JT Teller. Nothing will stop me from doing that, nothing. You're the best man I know and everyone here will agree."

JT's eyes welled up again and he held onto her tightly, feeling a sense of normal, a sense of right come to him.

"I love you, Babe. I thank whatever forces that brought us together and never want you to lose what we have."

"You won't, Baby, ever. I'm your woman, now and for always. You can count on that and know it in your heart."

JT felt the relief in her words, knowing he wasn't going to lose his constant. What still ate away at him, was the loss of his sanctuary, the place where his soul could rest and be at peace with everything. He knew once this was over, he and the club would have to move out and never be as much a part of it again. Behind the curtains, Moon looked at them and felt his own sorrow, knowing he would be losing a dear friend, one he himself thought of as a brother. He felt Spirit's hand on his shoulder and he turned to her, tears forming in his own eyes.

"I hate sending them away, Spirit."

"I know, my love, but sometimes we must do things for the greater good. They'll still be able to come around to visit, so you won't lose him altogether."

"I know, but the change is feeling like a knife cutting me deeply."

"It will pass. It's the love you feel for him that causes it."

Moon nodded, but couldn't raise his head, as he turned away from the window and the man he had grown so close to. Keith sat with Gloria, waiting for Mary to get dressed and ready to go. When she came down, her face couldn't hide the pain of knowing her man had been hurt.

"He's fine, Mary, you'll see soon that he's alright."

"I want to go right away, Keith."

"Aye and so we shall."

Keith walked out with Gloria and Mary in tow, seeing JT wipe his eyes and sniffle.

"Are ye alright, JT?"

"Yeah, yeah, I'm alright."

"Mary's in need to see Piney as soon as she can."

"Okay. You stay here and watch over things and I'll drive her in to see him."

"Can I come too?"

JT looked at Suzy and as much as he wanted her by his side, his fears of putting her in danger outweighed it.

"I don't think that's a good idea, Babe. I don't want you coming into harm's way."

"So it's okay for Mary to?"

JT thought on it and realized the conflict in his statement.

"Okay, you can come, but don't leave me for a second, either of you, understand?"

"Yes."

"Okay."

JT went with Suzy and Mary to the truck and started it up. Everyone was on the porch looking at him and the familiar farewells weren't there, making him feel outcast already. He drove away in silence, heading back to Charming and the sense of dread was back upon him, his eyes constantly searching for anything out of the ordinary.

Charming gave him a sense of ease, as he came into town and drove along Euclid Ave. and turned onto Venture Blvd. where the hospital was located. He parked in the lot, but had the girls wait, until he was sure it was safe. They hurried into the building and went to the third floor, turning from the elevator and saw Lenny pacing up and down the hall.

"JT, good to see you back. Suzy, Mary, it's great you're here, he's been asking for you."

"What room is he in, Lenny?"

"312."

Mary dashed ahead, looking at the room numbers until she got to his room. She paused at the door to collect herself and slowly pushed it open. She looked at the bear of a man lying in the bed and her eyes welled with tears for him. Piney heard the door and then saw Mary standing there, a smile coming across his face, large and wide in happiness.

"Oh Piney."

That was all she could say as she went to the bed and held him.

"Hey, hey, it's okay, I'm alright, Darling."

He stroked her hair softly as he spoke, then she turned her face to him and kissed him strongly, showing her love for him. He held her to him, letting her feel the security between them, then she rose and took a tissue from beside the bed and wiped her eyes and blew her nose.

"Guess you really love me, huh?"

"Of course I do, you big lug. Oh Piney, I'm so scared."

"I know Mary, we all are. No one saw this coming and it took us by surprise. We'll be alright, don't worry. Now that we know what's happening, this won't happen again."

"I hope not, Piney, I really do."

"You and me both. Say, how long can you stay?"

"As long as you want me to."

"Great. Mom and Dad will be coming back soon and they'll be real happy to see you. You know, you could stay at their house while I'm in here. It would make it easier to come and see me."

Mary's face glowed with happiness, hearing how much her man wanted her.

"You think they'd let me?"

"Sure. Mom thinks of you like the daughter she didn't have, you know that."

"I'd really like that. Think I can stay in your old room?"

"Mom would insist on it. Lester's room still holds too many memories, so she likes to keep it as it is. Sort of makes her feel like he's still here, just waiting for him to come home. Dad hopes she can get over it soon, he's getting tired of being reminded all the time of him. I mean, it's not like he doesn't want to remember him, just, you know, not every day all the time."

"Yeah, I can understand that. I still think of Jake, but I don't talk about him all the time. He was really nice to us, wasn't he, Piney?"

"Yeah, he was. Sort of felt like he was everybody's dad somehow. Loved having us around, that's for sure. Damn I miss his stories. He had some great tales to tell us, while we were working and stuff. I loved going for rides with him and JT, when we first got our bikes. He was a damn good rider, better than anybody I've seen. He knew that bike like the back of his hand. Knew if there was something off, just by the slightest change in something. I'm glad he gave it to JT, I know he'll keep in good shape and never change how it looks. Yeah, great fucking guy, that Jake. I'm sure missing him. He'd know what the hell to do about all this."

"Yeah, he made us all feel sort of protected, like he knew how to take care of anything."

The door opened right then and Piney's parents walked in. Lorelei saw Mary and instantly smiled with the greatest happiness at seeing her there. They hugged with great affection and kissed cheeks.

"I'm so happy to see you, Mary. How are you dear?"

"I'm good, never better. Can't say the same for the big lug in the bed behind me though. How are you, Lorelei?"

"I'm fine, just fine. Yes, what are we going to do with that boy?"

"Going to have to keep him on a leash and make sure he doesn't get into trouble."

"I'm all for that, but not too short."

The two women laughed, while Piney and his dad looked at each other and smirked and stifled grunts of laughter. Piney winced as he tried not to laugh and that was enough for the two women to attend to him in fine motherly fashion. Stan rolled his eyes and said he'd be out in the hall talking to JT and Lenny. Stan went out and saw that JT and Lenny were talking to an officer and went up to them.

"What's up, is there any trouble?"

"No, no, Stan. I asked D.C. Unser to post an officer out front, just to make sure Piney was safe. Stan, this is Officer Clark, he's doing the first watch. Officer Clark, this is Piney's dad, Stan Winston."

"A pleasure to meet you, sir."

"Yes, good to see you Officer. Thank you for looking after our boy, it takes a load off our minds about it."

"I'll do my best to make sure he's safe, sir. If you'll excuse me, I have to check in and let them know I'm here and on duty. JT, I'll talk to you later about who's expected to visit, so I can clear them without too much bother."

"Yes, I'll write it up later and hopefully have it done before your shift."

"I hope so too, now I have to go find me a decent chair to park my butt in for a bit, if you'll excuse me."

"Hey, don't worry, sit tight, I know just where to find one. I found out where they keep the good ones, not the shitty plastic ones that kill your butt after ten minutes."

"Much appreciated, thanks JT."

JT headed off to the store closet at the other end of the building, while Lenny took off for a drink.

"Good boys they are."

"Yes. They've been very helpful. JT seems like a decent sort."

"Oh he is. Like a son to us. Fine boy. Served two tours with my boy in Vietnam. Brought him back safe. Got medals, the both of them."

"He's the best guy I know."

"Is that right? You must be very proud, Mr. Winston and you must be quite find of him, Miss Simpson."

"Oh yes. proud as can be with them."

"Love him with all my heart."

"Ah, here's JT with a chair. Looks nice and comfy, too."

"Like I said, good boy. Looks after people well."

"He certainly does."

JT dropped the chair by the door and came up to Suzy, Stan and the officer.

"Thank you JT, that's real nice of you, appreciate that."

"No big deal, just don't say where you got it from. They'll lock the door and I won't be able to get another one."

"Gotcha, my lips are sealed."

Officer Clark shook JT's hand and went to the nurse's station to call in. JT looked at Stan and both had a look of relief on their faces.

"I think Piney's safe now, that's a load off my mind."

"JT, I can't thank you enough for taking care of Piney like you did. I don't blame you for what's happened, it's not your fault. This is a result of other people causing trouble. You did what you guys thought was right and so does everyone else. I know this must be tough on you. Hard enough taking care of yourself and even your friend, but I know how many people you have relying on you. You're a good man, JT. One of the best young people I know. You've shown me that people can be wrong and I was wrong to ever think you were bad for my boy."

"Water under the bridge, Pops."

"I do like hearing you call me that, son."

They looked at each other with the recognition of their love for one another and hugged in bond, patting each other's backs. Mary came out and saw them and began making a fuss to Lorelei about it.

"That's so nice to see."

Stan and JT laughed and walked over to see them. Stan hugged his wife, while JT hugged Mary. Piney could partially see what was happening as he looked out.

"Hey, that's my girl you're hugging, keep those hands where I can see them."

"Piney! It's only a hug and it's your best friend. I do like that you feel jealous, makes me feel special."

"You're special to me alright, so how about me giving me a hug?"

They all went in and everyone hugged him, making Piney smile broadly. Lenny walked in with his drink and saw them.

"Hey, no group sex allowed in the hospital."

That had laughter fill the room, as they stood by the bed.

"Look, you guys stay and keep Piney company. Lenny and I have to get back to the clubhouse and I have to go in and see the chief still, not to mention make up the guest list for the prince here."