All Comments on 'Remembering Valentine’s Day'

by sophist801

Sort by:
  • 122 Comments
energystarenergystarover 14 years ago
Great

Your best story and one of the best on this site! Thank you.

AnonymousAnonymousover 14 years ago
hard pov

I gave it a 100. I understand his reasoning, but ... his standpoint seems somewhat too hard. Apparently, he never tired to find out all of the facts. She supported him through his drinking period. She could have given up then.

She was strong for both of them, then, and he has been fighting too all these years. So I can understand his devastation for her one time slip ?? or had her affair been going on for a long time, maybe even back for over 16 years when he was drinking all the time ? He did not beat up this guy, did not get carried away with sadness or anger, he just did not speak to her again. And he remained strong now. I think he should talk to her again, find out the facts if she was willing to be honest with him and get more and/or better closure.

Poizon69Poizon69over 14 years ago
Very well written story.

Very good but very Sad. The romantic side of me wants them to be a couple again. After all couples do get over such things don't they? Well okay maybe they don't. Anyway good story Sophist801 keep the stories coming.

AnonymousAnonymousover 14 years ago
Good story

A great tear jerker. I like the way the guy in this story didn't loose his cool and just went on struggling with his life when he realized it had just gone in the crapper. Keep up the good work.

AnonymousAnonymousover 14 years ago
Great Story!!

It is not a great story because he did or did not go back, but because his actions were true to the character and his situation. Your story had a reality to it that is so often lacking. He understood himself and knew that love or not, forgive or not, he could not be in a marriage without trust, and that for him once lost it was gone. Not true for all, and they would make other decisions, but true for the character you created.....and you handled it perfectly.

AnonymousAnonymousover 14 years ago
Wow, very well done

For a short story this has a remarkable amount of depth.

Write on!

woodmanonewoodmanoneover 14 years ago
Not romantic but maybe true to life

Not many men could or would react like Frank. It shows his strength of commitment to remaining sober that he didn't fall back into drinking. But I agree with one of the other comments that Lois was the one that stood by him and supported him and helped him through a very bad time in his and their life. He owes her the chance to explain the reasons or happenings concerning her own bad time. Even if he can't forgive her, she deserves the same support and help that she gave him. Was it a long standing affair, was it a few times, was it a one time thing; these are all questions that he should let her answer. She supported him over years of alcohol abuse, can't he at least give her enough support to let her explain. I think another chapter is called for. Thanks for you hard work and keep it up.

kelly_kellykelly_kellyover 14 years ago
Unbelievable

<p>Very sad for a Valentine's Day story. Though extremely well written, I find it — <b>Unbelievable</b> especially the wife’s character. I mean it was Lois who stuck by him when he had drinking problems. His life began to <I>change all for the better</I>. She supported him through a very difficult time in his life. And then she’s caught with Jim (Married ex boyfriend) kissing on their front porch, her character from devoted true loving wife to cheating wife hardly makes any sense. </p>

<p>There are unanswered questions like — For long Lois was having an affair with Jim? Was Lois’s support a mask to hide her adulterous face? <b>Why</b> Lois cheated on him when she knew he needs support?</p>

<p>Overall a good story, but wife’s character was bit confusing.</p>

AnonymousAnonymousover 14 years ago
Awesome

Frank had a mountain to climb with the booze... she helped him... The story could be a true event... The love he has is awesome... This is one story I will read when I need a boost... Thank YOU

AnonymousAnonymousover 14 years ago
Does it really matter

for him to know why she cheated. What could she possibly say to excuse cheating, that would make it right. He has to do what's feels right for him. Love does not cure all. Well written story and worthy of praise. Thanks. ML

morefunnmorefunnover 14 years ago
So Real It Hurts.

For a short story, this story is so well told that it is stunning. If you have never been there or in the chair drinking a poor excuse for coffee and listening or talking yourself. This is real as a story I have read here.

Sophist801 please keep up the good work and thanks for sharing your talent with us.

OccamspiledriverOccamspiledriverover 14 years ago
Been There

Very good. Simple, well paced and believable. Seems like the author has been there and done that.

AnonymousAnonymousover 14 years ago
Unfinished

Come on buddy, all people would want the why what where when's answered, then they could decide on the future.

digdaddyrichdigdaddyrichover 14 years ago
A very good well thought out and believeable story

The story does leave a lot of things unanswered. Was he thinking of finding another woman to live with? I wonder what caused his wife to cheat on him? We never got to read her side of the story,which is the root cause of his problems. Thanks for the post.

AnonymousAnonymousover 14 years ago
nice story

and in allmost all points as close to reality as it is possible. But...I can't believe that she waited one year to contact him. would not be her character at all. she would have searched through the night to find him so he would not start drinking for instance. and every cheater wants to explain why he/she did it.

AnonymousAnonymousover 14 years ago
wow!

loved it! for those of you who think the only good story is one where they reconcile, then i say"fuck you" this was great because not only did the characters seem real but the emotional aspect hit me pretty hard which was surprising. while im not sure if i could have forgiven her im glad he was able to move on, even if it took a whole to do so.

jasonnhjasonnhover 14 years ago
Sad but very real

This was a very good read. Of course it was a little sad because no one really walked away happy. He will probably heal in time but will probably always have a small piece of regret and pain to carry around. It almost defines the human condition. I always have some trouble understanding why someone in a loving relationship would screw it up but cheating but they do it all the time. People are just that stupid. All in all a nice little slice of life story.

AnonymousAnonymousover 14 years ago
Excellent

You often write very painful stories, but they are well written. This one was really well writen.

AnonymousAnonymousover 14 years ago
Sad

Sad but very nice. No elaborate revenge scheems. Very good. Thank you. Jim in AB

bruce22bruce22over 14 years ago
Excellent Work

The character revealed has depth and for him why is not relevant to his future. He knows himself too well. It was a shame that his wife's one defect had to involve cheating, she seemed like a really strong and likeable person. Thanks sophist801!

nyminusnyminusover 14 years ago
Ok...no tears if that was what the writer? was

First off an aa meeting is full of loosers. Creeps that need the huddling together of fellow loosers to constantly pay each other on the butt. There is also smokers anon where a bunch of creeps get together to, once again, pat each other on the butt. After 45 nyears I threw my pack away and never looked back. Others have to make a big deal out of it. Drinking...well I drank beer as a soldier but never really liked the tast of booze. I sitll take a drink on occasions when it's called for, Or a special bottle of liquor. But I don't like to dull my mind with drink. God gave me a mind and I think clear most of the time. Most of my job problems have been caused by jealous drunks that under go personality changes when they drink. Drunks should all be gathered together and put out of their misery. The recent worldwide crash was caused by drunks who couldn't keep away from the bottle because they wanted to feel big and important.. Fuck all you drunks..you get what you deserve...

DrallDrallover 14 years ago
Beautiful!

A lovely story-but oh so sad! Thank you.

AnonymousAnonymousover 14 years ago
Realy fucking good but

u need a editer i think i,ve got some grate ideals and sugestuns. call me.

AnonymousAnonymousover 14 years ago
Great story; but some issues.

First, he threatens another man from seeing his wife, even though he has no intention of going back to her. Why? After supporting him through his alcoholism, his wife suddenly has an affair? Why? One minute he loves her with all his heart, the next he can not ever be friends with her because the pain is greater than his love...which is it? So while the writing is good and the story line is great, it falls short in the explanation point.

lancewmlancewmover 14 years ago
Story well written and moving

But for a man to so completely leave a woman with no discussion, no explainations, no real followup to his threat, no understand, nothing -- why? There is no character development to explain all of this. It would take a certain kind of man to completely turn his back on a woman he loved with all his heart and had helped him so much. So who is this man? We don't know.

eliocecheteliocechetover 14 years ago
No fling

You can consume a fling on a backseat or in a motel room. If you meet your lover at home, it can't be the first time. It was a long term affair for sure.

Wonderful story sophist801.

Elio Cechet

eliocecheteliocechetover 14 years ago
No fling

You can consume a fling on a backseat or in a motel room. If you meet your lover at home, it can't be the first time. It was a long term affair for sure.

Wonderful story sophist801.

Elio Cechet

gatorhermitgatorhermitover 14 years ago
Very well written story

This story could easily end with the line, "Consequences are a bitch." As to the lack of explanation concerning the wife's behavior, I disagree with the comments. Some things are just never known, in fact, I doubt the wife understands why she did what she did.

AnonymousAnonymousover 14 years ago
Not at all believable

No way you can get a table at a nice restaurant on Valentine's Day without a reservation.

AnonymousAnonymousover 14 years ago
Love is necessary but not sufficient.

Well done; bravo! Your story could use a little more character development and the fixing up of a few wobbly bits. But, overall a very meaningful and moving piece of writing. Don't stop. A friend of Bill's.

AnonymousAnonymousover 14 years ago
Great piece of writing!!!!

One of the best stories I have read on this site. Please write some more. "Thank You"

meisteremeistereover 14 years ago
One last thought....

The woman's name is Lois.... curious.

RubyswallowsRubyswallowsover 14 years ago
I liked it, but ...

I wanted to give this a four star, I really did. You had some contextual and grammatical errors, but those could be forgiven because you used vivid images that brought me into the story. That doesn't happen often for me.

The quibble I had was simple: there seemed to be a disconnect between the actions of Lois and her reasons. I think it would've been a stronger story if there had been a confrontation scene between the two. She's been the narrator's champion and ass-kicker for a while, yet suddenly she's having a (possibly long-term) affair? Why?

Also, why can't the narrator forgive her? Drunks do stupid, asinine, potentially unforgivable things and she stayed.

It just made the narrator seem very hypocritical. I don't think they should've necessarily ended up together, but he doesn't even give her the chance to explain.

zed0zed0over 14 years ago
Great Story

There are no excusable reasons for cheating period! What plausible explanation could she possibly give for fucking her ex(?)boyfriend. Great no wimps ending, you really had me in suspense. To wimp out or not to wimp out. To drink or not to drink. Just because she's a cheating slut does not mean he can't appreciate her help and support towards sobriety, still doesn't mean he has to stay married to that. Nor should he use her infidelity as an excuse to fall off the sobriety wagon, even though a cheating wife can be a real stress-er.

lcc_1949lcc_1949over 14 years ago
Forgiveness is possible

The cheating sucked, and so do the consequences....I would like to see them get back together, I am a romantic at heart and hate to see it all end, especially since I KNOW that forgiveness can bring reconcilation...but it is your story to write as you please...so very sad though. Let the person who has never screwed up cast the first stone. thanks, Linda

PistolpackinpetePistolpackinpeteover 14 years ago
Wow, what a bunch of fucking hypocrites...

...commentators who try to pass off cheating as worse than being a drunk. The shit I saw drunks in my family do to their so-called "loved ones" was far more despicable than an act of cheating,(if it was one act). But we'll never know as the author has chosen to portray a man who doesn't understand the meaning of true friendship, or how it intersects with love, and hence can't truly face up to his demons. He's still running folks. Good story despite way too many grammatical dislocations but could have been great.

AnonymousAnonymousover 14 years ago
Your best story

Great plot.I like the emotional aspect of the husband.

Wife’s character was a lot confusing(and disturbing).It was obvious the wife cheating was much more than "a little fling".(Kiss the lover in front of their house!!!)

It will be great to know HER side of the story.

angiquesophieangiquesophieover 14 years ago
just a question

do you ever read back what you have written? try it next time, it will make such an amazing difference.

morefunnmorefunnover 14 years ago
One More Comment

Reread the story then all the comments. It is surprising what some of the people said, but then again not really. Every one jumped on the wife for being a cheat, but no one defended her. Lets just say some of the most irresponsable people in the world who will lie at the drop of hat is an alcoholic. They cannot be trusted. Believe me. I do care that she had an affair, short or long. We all need happiness or some place that the real world does not beat us down. What about what he did to her all those years. I am damn sure he was never honest with her, period. Maybe after 20 years of sobriety I might actually give some. But this guy is still in the bottle and a dry drunk.

So keep up the good work and your getting better.

Ducky7Ducky7over 14 years ago
What do you do when that kind of reality hits

Love the story and the plot, Yes he really loved that woman. And I think she really loved him. It wasn't enough to bridge the gap. The unanswered question is WHY. Not the with whom but the WHY in the first place. Was it related to the alcohol? That day was special for them and that was the day she didn't seem to care if she got caught? Anyway good story thanks.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 14 years ago
Really good story

This story speaks deeply to me. My spouse has been a "practicing" alcoholic for 25 of the more than 40 years we've been married. Even although she has been dry now for 2 years, the damage to our emotional and physical relationship seems insurmountable at times. Although I have never done so, I have been tempted many times to seek this intimacy elsewhere, and can completely understand how the wife could stray. My wife is basically a good woman - alcoholism is a disease over which its victims have little or no control. That's why I'm still married, and I guess I'm a little disappointed that the husband would cast her aside after a slip following years of hurt inflicted on her by him.

If there's a follow-up, I'd really like to see them back together

AnonymousAnonymousabout 14 years ago
Curious as to why "angiquesophie" is questioning your efforts? That author sucks

big time in creating plausible yet viable stories. Hmmm, jealously perhaps? Or is it "angiquesophie" man-hating venom showing it's righteous side? The story itself was interesting but still the male character comes across as the typical "wimp" found in the previous named fucked up stories by the "a" author. Debra & Wayne

woodmanonewoodmanoneabout 14 years ago
Good story but incomplete

This is second time I've read this story, I liked it even more this time. I think there is a second chapter waiting to be released. There are some questions that would settle my mind. Why Jim and why an affair to begin with? I'm not one of the revenge at all cost group but I do think Jim deserves a bit more payback. Also, I'm a romantic and would like to see a happier ending, but that's just my personal taste. Good job, well developed characters, and a smooth flow. Thanks for you're hard work and keep'em coming.

foxxxyvixxxenfoxxxyvixxxenabout 14 years ago
I liked this story! I'm surprised u didn't turn on the voting section...

People...you guys take luv WAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too seriously. People don't take marriage seriously AT ALL yet people take luv more serious. How can u have a marriage with no luv in it? But somehow people have "programmed" themselves to deal and that only ends in unhappy marriages leading to infidelity and eventually divorce. U can luv somebody with all your heart and soul that doesn't mean that person has the same feelings 4 u even tho ya'll have been married over 2 yrs., 10 yrs, sometimes feelings of luv fade between 2 people. That's why people shouldn't rush luv so much or else u will be in for a rude awakening. Yes the man was an alcoholic and that may give some people the right to cheat and find luv elsewhere cuz it's obvious he probably luved the "bottle" more than his own wife...but when r people gonna realize CHEATING IS NOT THE ANSWER!!! IT MAKES SHIT WORSE!!! People always make that bullshit excuse, "I'm human I make mistakes" YES WHEN U ARE UNAWARE OF THE MISTAKE U R MAKING BUT CHEATING AND LYING R "CONSCIOUS" MISTAKES meaning u know it's wrong but u do it anyways.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 14 years ago
Great Story

Keep writing

belknap026belknap026over 13 years ago
Please

write a sequel. He's got to give her the pearls back and admit he still loves her.

Thanks.

AnonymousAnonymousover 13 years ago
Get real Belknap or is it Shoe? The bitch deserves to be lonely & die of some disease.

Finally, a decent story that does not have the "reconciliation-at-any-cost" bullshit entwined within the plot. The husband patience not to totally destroy the cheating slut is admirable but a coward's way out. Sure the fool is screwed from the upcoming divorce but at least the husband has his sanity. He will need to sell the pearls to get money to pay for a decent lawyer so he doesn't get screwed more than the usual by the actions of divorce.

Belknap/shoe you come across as some "romantic fag" that discredits your pathetic existence and shames the rest of the human race.

VP

AnonymousAnonymousover 13 years ago
Good(and intense) plot, but....

...wife behavior sucked BIG TIME!

It was obvious her cheating is going a LONG, long time.No way, someone spend a good time kissing a lover in FRONT of their home without feeling confortable.The husband is always the last to know....

belknap026belknap026over 13 years ago
please do a sequel.

they've earned the right.

db448db448over 13 years ago
Sequel would be nice

Nice to see him happy, with her or with someone else.

AnonymousAnonymousover 13 years ago
Good Plot, no reconciliation, but . . .

What's with the " home Baked New York Cheesecake" the last words, which are referenced nowhere else.

was this a clue that the Wife cooked this as a specialty? or what ?

Puzzled,

Kilroy.

VickieTernVickieTernover 13 years ago
Sorry

I can see th AA confession purging him of a sense of loss, betrayal, rage, all those bad things, but his reaction to Johnston doesn't prepare for his final ability to finish his meal without her forever. The decision to give up on her is foisted on us as a surprise (pleasing most readers I see), not generated within the story unseen by readers until it's revealed. An ending has to be a contradiction, surprising YET in the end seen to be inevitable. So though this is a crowd-pleaser, and I like the mingling of alcoholism with a need for love, revenge, and all the other emotional desires we crave acting out, you seem to reverse it with the ending -- abstinence from a woman who put up with a husband's weakness and has nourished and supported him, however fallible she has also been? Two people denied love? I don't get it. He deserves his nearly-eaten pork plate. But he hasn't earned a cheesecake, not Lindy's nor the Carnegie Deli's.

I'm quarreling because you have a talent that can support and express, certainly explore, greater moral subtlety.

BigJohn601BigJohn601over 13 years ago
Your story gave me pause.........

Franks's inner turmoil was superbly expressed and shared. People do things that hurt others so much deeper than they ever realize. Lois's betrayal on Valentines day and special anniversary really tore Frank's sense of center from his heart and soul. You expressed it such a heartfelt manner that I can't help but believe some the writer's own personal pain was shared. If so, I can only hope that God will grant you Serenity......

DunaDunaover 12 years ago

Super story. I think this man can struggle with his alcohol addiction (with the AA group) and can find a second mate for him. But the reconcilation may be a chance as well. The writer would have written a sequel. BTW 5 stars.

tazz317tazz317over 12 years ago
THE ONLY WAY TO GO

keeping my self respect and integrity. TK U MLJ LV NV

norcal62norcal62over 12 years ago
Another LW author who professes that the male "loves" the female

but can't be with her. This a confusing the emotion and denigrating true love. There was not unconditional love as stated. Not sure what emotion was being expressed, but it wasn't love.

green117green117almost 12 years ago
alcoholism and love

I think, without a lot of reason why, that the author was making a parallel between the fight to keep from drinking to the fight to keep from going back to the relationship that destroyed his faith in himself and others. The protagonist had to force himself not to drink... it had to become part of his self-definition. Similarly, the protagonist had to separate from his wife, to keep himself from falling. The older mentor said the protagonist had to apologise - perhaps for this rigidity which is what is keeping the protagonist from being an alcoholic.

Addiction is a terrible thing to have to constantly fight.

Green-something

cpetecpeteover 11 years ago
Fine story

Do not know how I missed this fine story. Well done.

As othe posters have pointed out, the wife having the lover in the home and long kiss in public, is a sign of being comfortable with each other-it was a long term affair, not a fling.Author did not need to state the obvious.

A good job on showing the husband had changed, still loved the wife, but could no longer live with her. He loved booze, but could not live with drinking either.

It was not a BTB story, just a real live tale of moving forward.

thanks for this work

AnonymousAnonymousover 11 years ago
The Cheesecake

Seems most missed the reference of why he now craved cheese cake and warm coffee. First, the coffee at the AA meeting was cold so he craved cold coffee when he was still dealing with his addiction to his wife. Second, the champaign cake was what he got his wife and what she got him on valintines day.

Basically it means he's moved on and wants different things in his life now.

Also, to the commenters not liking the idea of loving someone and not being with them, all I can say is if you've ever been truely hurt by the ones you love you'll learn that love is not absolute. Not even true love.

AnonymousAnonymousover 11 years ago
Would of like to see what happened to Quick..

And, some more remorse on the cheater's part. Overall, a fine story.

sugnasugnaover 11 years ago
Good plot

Good writing as usual. Better plot. That said, all these stories about cheating wives seem to have weak husbands (not wimps) at the center of them. In real life, men with cheating wives should know that their relationships are screwed up long before they get to adultery. Even if that means they married a crazy slut right off the bat. The guys I have met with cheating wives knew their wives were selfish bitches long before they started cheating.

hawkeye0007hawkeye0007over 11 years ago
Damn

This was a damned good story. I really feel the husband's pain. The wife fucked up big time. In his place I would feel the same way. 5 stars

AnonymousAnonymousover 11 years ago
Wow.

His clarity shines brightly, as does her clarity about his clarity. I've become a bit of a wack job about balance in relationships. Theirs, now, is finally in balance. Thank you for this exceptionally well-written story.

AnonymousAnonymousover 11 years ago
Seems real. Too real.

No super hero. No trained killer. No terrible and impossible revenge. Just realism. It's great, cuz it feels real. Even illustrates that life has no delete button, or replays.

nakdsubnakdsubabout 11 years ago
Well done...

realistically told; very good.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 11 years ago
and yet he couldn't

BEAT THE LIVING SHIT OUT OF THE WHORE .......WHY??????????

tazz317tazz317almost 11 years ago
#2 JOHNSON GAVE GOOD ADVICE

he understood what was related, TK U MLJ LV NV

fregenfregenalmost 11 years ago
Very Well Done

I find it very plausible that a spouse tired of being strong yet again for their alcoholic partner could succumb in a moment of despair or weakness to seek comfort with a former lover. Particularly if this partner has repeatedly fallen off the wagon.

To be honest I can understand and possibly forgive that person. However, in this story Frank has been sober for over 12 years at this point. They were in a strong and loving relationship. What justification would she have for continuing the affair for that long? And if it was a recent event I guess the relationship wasn't that strong or loving.

Good story. Thanks for sharing

AnonymousAnonymousover 10 years ago
great story

It's a great story. He could easily have gone back in the bottle but he found himself in spite of the betrayal.

PS: Where is this place that is not busy on Valentines Day. Even when it falls on a weekday it is hard to get reservations, much less walk in and get a seat.

chilleywilleychilleywilleyabout 10 years ago
Excellent!

Good read, Yeah,over a decade sober, Back when he put her through hell, got sober, if he was like my dad, carried the guild of his drunken days for 45 years. After 10-15 years of perhaps dull married life, Fucking an old boyfriend for old times sake is not un heard of. Others have done the husband coming home for a celebration and there she is, it's a nice dramatic ploy, but just that, and maybe the story would have been better without it. If he came home a day or two after Valentines day...

Some one else said it, sounds like the marriage was fizzling out about this time. Had she really wanted to fine him, she could have, same with him.

One of your best ones

Chilley.

betrayedbylovebetrayedbyloveabout 10 years ago
Great Tale

Why do the cheating wives always say they love their husband the most after they are caught? Fucking cunt was a cheater and a liar. She should die alone. Our hero did the right thing, didn't compromise his values and stayed sober. Excellent.

Five Stars

sugnasugnaalmost 10 years ago
Good story

The interesting that his wife sticking with him through his alcoholism is only partially discussed. There is a dark side to women who stay with alcoholic husbands. It is control. Women have a desire to control and remake their husbands into something they can claim as their own. Alcoholics are weak people that are easy to control through their vices. She played her husband and thought she could get away with anything, including opening having an affair on the front porch of their house in their neighborhood! Wow, talk about disrespect! That alone would have made a normal mans blood run cold and freeze out any love he had for his wife. A weakling would run off and cry in his non-alcoholic beer. Women cheat for one reason, they do not really give a shit about their relationship and are willing to through it away. They cheating as a way to control their marriage or a lever to get out of their marriage.

Pappy7Pappy7almost 9 years ago
Loving someone can be

detrimental to your well being and that's when emotion (love) should take a backseat to common sense and doing what's best for yourself. The wife and her lover are both people who showed little or no respect for the husband, possibly because he was an alcoholic and therefore they perceived him as weak and co-dependent. Surely he wouldn't say anything if he found out. Too weak, right? Head rules the heart and that's what makes for good mental health.

Great story, well written and well thought out. It's almost like you actually lived it and are just telling the tale. Thanks for letting him keep himself straight, both with the booze and the wife. I think I would have caught the lover out somewhere and convinced him that coming into my house and despoiling the sanctity of it was a very bad mistake. As far as the wife was concerned, kicking her ass would be against the law and all she did was share her skanky ass with someone else. She spoiled the sanctity of the marriage so she shouldn't get to be in it any more.

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
love reigns supreme

If you love someone, you can forgive them. Pride is a mortal sin.

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
I Agree

With the comeback of the last poster. And to the pride person, he took a year to figure things out. It was not a matter of pride, it was what he did and didn't need in his life. It was what he could and couldn't live with.

EgoTrixiEgoTrixiover 8 years ago
Loving someone does not mean giving a wild card...

...it depends on the circumstances and ones personality how to react proper.

However, you must be certain just w h y one tends to forgive. "I love her" is a somewhat stupid explanation.After all, there will inevitably be a severe trust issue and a feeling of betrayal. It may take a strong personality to continue to love - or a very weak personality, afraid of being alone and insecure. After all: Who can be sure this will never happen again? What is to think about her love for him, - a love that allowed her to cheat on him?

HeWhoGoesThereHeWhoGoesThereabout 8 years ago
It's not often that I think reconciliation is the better choice, but...

I do in this case. He never did find out how often wifey was with her old boyfriend. Was it a one-time thing, or a full-blown affair? Yes, the way they acted, making out on the porch like that when loverboy was leaving, suggested a kind of familiarity and comfort that can only come from multiple...liaisons. But he never makes even the slightest effort to find out. He just tucks his tail between his legs and runs off to crawl under a rock. Are we sure he's a vertebrate?

But either way, he could've made an effort to fight for his marriage. I rarely say that about stories like this, but this protagonist wasn't your typical LW "do no wrong" type of husband. He said it himself, she stuck by him when he was hitting the sauce. I wonder, how many mistakes did he make while he was wasted back then? How many times did she find it in herself to forgive his transgressions and continue to help him? But she fucks up once(albeit a VERY big fuck up), and he bails instantly. And even if it wasn't just once in reality, as far as the husband knows, it was only the one time.

Sorry, but the protagonist comes across as a selfish, sanctimonious asshat. Really, after all the good years she's given him, he can't even accept her request to be friends just because his bitch-ass can't handle it? Fuck outta here with that load of crap. Frankly, she's better off without the coward. In fact, if that had been his reason for cutting ties, I'd have rated this higher.

However, I have to say the wife didn't try very hard to save things, either. I could've expected her to bring up the past and ask if she hadn't at least earned a chance to redeem herself. Not a free pass, just a shot at fixing what she broke. But no, she gives in with barely a whimper.

2 stars from me. No one to like in this story, but the cheating wife still ranks higher than the pitiful wimp protagonist. Can't remember the last time I was on the cheater's side by the end of a story, but here it is.

Oh, and I really liked that bit where he paid loverboy a visit, claiming he did it to show he wouldn't tolerate him fucking the wife, then doesn't do anything afterward. "I won't stand for this! Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm gonna go stand in the corner with my back turned for a year. You better not do anything!" -What, was he relying on the honor system?

AnonymousAnonymousabout 8 years ago
Hewhogoesthere

Valentines day is a day for LOVERS. Not the people you are fucking on the side. What makes this betrayal even worst is that she did it on a day that's even more special to them because it's the anniversary of the day he proposed to her. Then you have to take into consideration that she's making out with the guy on the front porch of their marital home, for any one to see including their friends and neighbors( All people that know them both) while wearing a very intimate present given to her by her husband. To top it all off, given what day it is, she knew for certain, she would be having sex with her husband that day. So telling her boyfriend 'not today' and avoiding giving her husband sloppy seconds, because she at least respects him a little if not still loves him would be the least she could do. So looking at it from all the angles what exactly would he be fighting for.

I mean how is he supposed to trust his wife after this. Remember, this isn't some one night stand with a stranger at a bar. This is an intimate affair with an old boyfriend of hers, that she's fucking in his house, on his bed, while he's at work providing for her. Sure, she can make the argument that he's not there enough for her. But take into consideration that she got him to stop drinking. If she could get him to do that, then she could have easily gotten him to cut back and spend time with her.

No this woman is selfish. Her helping him to sobriety is more about her happiness than about love for him. The only reason she probably did that is because his staying home was probably cramping her style.

I mean she pretty much replaced him, in his own house. The only thing she didn't do, was have her boyfriend's kid and pawn it off as her husbands.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 8 years ago
love reigns supreme 9/22/2015

Pride is a mortal sin. So is stupidity. Why did it take her a whole year to find him. After getting caught cheating by her husband who is a recovering alcoholic. She goes about her life as usual. And this is obvious because he 's able get his stuff when he knows she wouldn't be at home. In order for him to do that she would have to be sticking to her daily routine. Any woman who really cared about there marriage or husband would be going out of her mind looking for him and making sure he isn't in a drunk rage or in a ditch somewhere. She would at least make a police report. Any other spare time she had would be spent by the phone praying that he was alright. The fact that she took her good time trying to make amends and get back together shows that it's not at the top of her priorities. Anyone truly remorseful and trying to restore love and trust in a marriage would prioritize that over everything else. They wouldn't let there spouse suffer through hurt, betrayal and uncertainty for a year, while whatever lingering feelings of affection that they still had for each other disintegrates. No there's no room for reconciliation here. The time for that was a year ago.

Another thing that bothers me is that after a hole year she still hasn't given a reason why she cheated, why he should take her back or what changes made during that year (Therapy, counseling) to make herself a better wife to him.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 8 years ago
Hmmm

On v day!

In. His house!

Kissed the guy outside in view of everyone!

Nope. She didn't love him.

AnonymousAnonymousover 7 years ago
for those on wife's side

Perhaps the reason he drank so much in the first place was she was cheating on him entire relationship and he knew it.

Her actions are not those of a loving wife

AnonymousAnonymousover 7 years ago
Premature ejaculation.

You like the foreplay, and maybe the spurt. But the cuddling and reassurance and comfort are absent. You take the reader up to a dramatic point, then just quit. Kind of one, done, and run.

There are so many interesting plot ideas, but not enough talent or imagination to complete what you start. Too bad; they are really really interesting starts. But then that's the easy part, isn't it?

AnonymousAnonymousover 7 years ago
1*

wimpy unsatisfying shit.

AmbivalenceAmbivalenceover 7 years ago
Huh... interestingly enough...

She said she wanted him to come home so he could love her again and forgive her...

Am I the only one who missed her saying SHE loved him....? Or that SHE was SORRY...? 'Cause. I don't recall her saying those things...

And what a sleaze she picked to fuck around on him with...The guy said "oops"...???

chilleywilleychilleywilleyover 7 years ago
She did say I love you

Decent story, but the coincidence of Valentines day's adultery is pandering to pathos. Better it be a random day. Someone else said, she stayed with him as a drunk, which is never an easy task, he owes her a shot at re connecting. I would have preferred they date a while to see if she indeed was who he remembered her to be. People do live and learn.

Chilley

LordSlamdawggLordSlamdawggover 7 years ago
Skillfully nebulous lines are stitched into fictional marriage fabric in this story. Is assigning who owned the greater share of blame for marital 'crash and burn' too tough to call ?

Cheating is cheating . He was unfaithful with alcohol, she detected that fault, communicated her temporary forebearance and terms of forgiveness. To narrator's credit, he white-knuckled his way through process of recovery and sobriety. This virtue was not reciprocated when he caught her straying. Lois corrected her faulty path , yet was giving her walking papers.

It's over. What do I think ? Well if ' to err is human, to forgive divine' maxim is true ; Lois is closer to New Testament God then the narrator. If this were real life , I'd wish both parties luck , but would covertly wish Lois a bit more. I thank sophist801 for provoking me to stretch my cognitive facilities, such as they are.

ScorpioJJScorpioJJabout 7 years ago
Adultery does not equal alchoholism

LSD, What other vices will justify her sleeping with other men?

If he over eats should she go get laid?

If he watches too much football on TV is she justified to get some strange?

He owed her for her support and so he did not BTB her but he can never trust her again. This could have been going on for years. So, she will have to live with his absence. Maybe she will treat the next husband better.

TonyKiwiTonyKiwiover 6 years ago
to Lordslamdawgg

alcoholism is a sickness, cheating is not. TK

ErotFanErotFanover 6 years ago
Never say never again

How about a Quick Epilogue?

LoejtcLoejtcover 6 years ago
Something MMissing

I noted that Lois never offered to explain her actions. She hoped for foregivenesss and getting on with life as before. The cheater usually tries its to explain/provide an excuse for cheating. Did the author intentionally omit this? Can we infer that she didn’t offer an explanation because the affair was protracted or her lovers were many? That the betrayal was massive and it’s revelation would cause insurmountable harm? Her whole demeanor seemed to suggest that he has had his year to sulk like a child, now he should come home and continue as though nothing happened. And she would be reinstated as his emotional support against his addiction. What she learns, what he clearly tells her, is that her former role is no longer necessary for him to resist temptation. He is able to stand on his own.

Perhaps her affair(s) were a direct result in her conviction that he needed her so much that he would accept her infidelity. Frank proved to himself and her that he could control his life without her. Something she probably never imagined.

amyyumamyyumover 6 years ago
Poignant

it has a real ring of truth. 5*

c24jc24jabout 6 years ago
Such hypocrisy!!

One commenter said - Alcoholics drink for one reason, they do not really give a shit about their relationship and are willing to through [throw] it away. - Or maybe that sentence started with 'Women cheat' - yeh, whatever. Both of the statements are false, as there are myriad psychological, cultural, and physical reasons for either.

Many pointed out that he had a drinking problem, so she just couldn't trust him anymore . . . or wait . . . was it that she'd had sex with someone outside the marriage, so he couldn't trust her anymore. Or maybe it was both.

Some talked about how he disrespected his wife and considered her too weak to stay with because of her cheating . . . or was it the wife disrespected him and considered him weak . . . no that can't be it, because she WAS willing to stay, so that supposition wouldn't make sense . . . he wasn't willing to stay, so I guess he IS the weak one. She helped him to sobriety . . . but when the going gets tough on the other side . . . he runs away.

Many point out how selfish she is for staying with him and helping him sobriety . . . or did they mean for cheating, and how selfish he was for using her as a crutch, and then running away.

At least one commenter wisely pointed out that adultery doesn't equal alcoholism. With this, I must heartily agree. As a paramedic in major Metropolitan area for about 7 years, I saw the results of alcoholism and alcohol abuse. Looking at the other vices one commenter pointed out, I started thinking. I worked many serious (sometimes fatal) accidents where the person had been drinking. I never heard the police say, "Find out if she/he has been cheating.". I never heard the person responsible say, "Hey, I only had a couple of chicken wings . . . really . . . I can drive just fine.". Some suffering from diseases of overindulgence never claimed, "I know, I know, I've gotta quit watching football!". After beating up a spouse, and not even remembering, I never heard a cop say, "Draw blood, we need to get a fidelity test.". A guy once drove onto the shoulder, past several warning cones, and plowed into me and a patient I was working on. His speech was heavily slurred, and he seemed to have impaired motor control . . . I'm not sure if he'd had to much to eat, or just watched to much football . . . but he was definitely out of it.

Alcoholism is worse (in most cases), far worse, in my experience. We don't know if she had an ongoing lifelong problem that could present a danger to her own health and potentially to the lives of others. We DO know that he did.

Self-centeredness, self-righteousness, and hypocrisy are NOT good traits for one battling alcoholism. Lois did a shitty thing, but his transgression was much worse, and potentially more dangerous. I'm sure she'll find someone better who won't use her as a crutch and then run away at any sign that she's not perfect. Hopefully he doesn't hurt himself or someone else too badly . . . though it might be better if he avoided serious relationships.

GrimmerGrimmeralmost 6 years ago
4.7

She asks on this of all days for a do over?

Wow.

etchiboyetchiboyover 5 years ago
Ok, I’ll bite... pearls?

What do the pearls represent?

Liked the story. Easy 4-stars

Schwanze1Schwanze1about 5 years ago
C24J

Must be a bitch to be smugly right all the time. You really should be a preacher.

Schwanze1Schwanze1about 5 years ago
Intense

story. Well done Soph

c24jc24jabout 5 years ago
Nah, Schwanze, you've mistaken me for my wife . . .

. . . she's the one who's right all the time.

I just spent enough time during my early career dealing with the incredibly sickening, damaging, devastating, and sometimes deadly effects of alcohol abuse to develop strong feelings that such abuse is MUCH worse than many more mundane things things we consider 'awful' and even heartbreaking at the time.

If he was telling the truth, and he couldn't have come to sobriety without his wife . . . then he owes her so much more than she owes him. Most of us have had our hearts broken at some point, but I daresay some, perhaps many of us would go through it again if it meant that some families which had been destroyed forever could be rebuilt again, if innocent lives could be saved, if miserable, broken lives could be put back together . . . In perspective, she saved his life and possibly the lives of others. He threw her away though because she got selfish for a short period, and his needs for exclusive genital ownership certainly outweighed the lives and well-being of himself and others.

I would hope his character stays off the booze. I would also hope her character finds someone rational, with reasonable priorities, who is capable of true, genuine love. She's sadder but wiser; he's just sad.

This is a very good, but tragic, story.

ScorpioJJScorpioJJalmost 5 years ago
c24j you must be ok with cheaters

Which liberal new age area are you from? "exclusive genital ownership"? what a stupid line is that? Marriage has to have trust or it is not worth crap. You might be into polyamory or some other alternative lifestyle. That's ok as long as you and your partners all agree on the rules. Obviously this couple didn't have such an agreement. Once trust I broken it usually cannot be restored. So get off your high horse and respect that fidelity is a lifestyle choice that the majority still select for their relationships.

26thNC26thNCalmost 5 years ago
Hard

That was a hard one to read but still a good story.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 5 years ago
Unconvincing story line

I simply don't believe a woman would wait one full year without contacting her husband. He didn't disappear. He's still working at the same place. How is she paying the bills for the house? Is he giving her money during this past year? Why wouldn't he file for a divorce? What happened to Lover boy and his wife? Too many unanswered questions for this to be a good read.

2 stars

12
Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous