Rise of Roxy Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Thanks and wish me luck."

"There's no need to say that. You'll be fine."

Sally's confidence assisted Roxy to relax. She told herself to avoid speeding up the commentary.

A wide camera shot showed the dawn of a new morning with no cloud over the city...

As she began the commentary in Italian, Roxy didn't look up to see whether Morgan had swung around in surprise to look at her and whether others were nonplussed.

The clip finished and Morgan clapped enthusiastically and others followed.

The projection was repeated and Roxy read this time in English"

The sun rises over Florence, Italy, that became a hugely important city in the Middle Ages and it's important to note here before the Middle Ages were the Dark Ages that brought strangulation to many elements of artistic culture until the Italian Renaissance produced the rebirth and a raft of new dimensions to artistic culture. This great transition will be illustrated and explained later as our story progresses.

In this five-part series, we'll journey through the province of Florence in Tuscany, a region known throughout the world as a great place of natural beauty and a historic treasure chest.

Generally a beautiful and very people-friendly city, in fact even today an unforgettable city for tourist who visit it, Florence is believed to be the birthplace of the Italian Renaissance or Rinascimento in Italian that means rebirth.

And as we watch the sun illuminates this city and some of its natural and architectural features are picked out. We see in the foreground the River Armo. And here in this close up we see a bridge arching the Armo, the world famous Ponte Vecchio. Oh what a history that bridge has seen and has its own impressive history. When you walk over that bridge flanked in parts with shops you might feel a sense of something special but whenever one goes in Florence one's senses can be seduced.

Because of Florence's artistic and architectural significance, and because of its hugely significance in the development of modern culture, the city was declared a world heritage site by UNESCO in 1982.

The powerful Medici family, Brunelleschi, Michelangelo and before him Donatello are some of the greatly influential names associated with Florence that we will concentrate on during this series. But it won't be all about Florence. We'll also visit other places in Tuscany including Lucca that I visited many times when living nearby when spending a month in Italy for twelve summers with my sister and grandmother until I was well into my teems. This ancient walled city has some wonderful examples of Roman, mediaeval and Renaissance architecture.

We'll sit on the grass under an olive tree sipping wine as the people of the renaissance period would have done and their descendants and tourists do to this day. This is a journey to inform you where modern culture as you enjoy today came from through an event you know as the Italian Renaissance.

Everyone clapped and after switching off the projector, Sally came running into the room and kissed Roxy and said smugly, "Well done Roxy."

"I loved that last piece in your editing of the script Sally. It gave some relevance to me being the on-camera presenter."

Sally just smiled.

"Well we are done here," Morgan grinned. "We know have a face to put to our presenter. You were great Roxy and listening to you delivering that in Italian was a real treat for me. Please come with me and Sally."

They went to a bar for senior tutors where they shared a bottle of Italian red wine.

Later, as they were leaving, Morgan said, "Thanks for your time Roxy and here's your DVD. May I say we have full confidence in you."

Roxy kissed him although not liking guys being bearded.

Mrs Smith was too committed to give Roxy a training slot that day. Roxy went to the supermarket and selected items to cook a simple Italian-styled meal for her and the Scotts to enjoy.

Sophie arrived home and entering the living room shook Roxy awake and said, "Hi darling" and kissed her. "What are these delicious smells?"

"Your mother probably made you guys Carabaccia, also known as sweet onion soup, when you were young and so we have that tonight. Other mingle aromas will be from the Florentine roast pork. I thought we should begin changing our diet a little to prepare to be consumed by Italian fare."

"Oh an excellent idea. Tell me about your day."

Next day a Steven Bahns called Roxy.

"Hi Steven, what can I do for you?"

"I'd like to talk about the Italian doco. I will be head cameraman. We start team meetings next week and Sally Brookes has suggested I talk to you about filming. When can we meet?"

"Then take me to lunch."

"When?"

"Today if you wish."

"Okay where will I find you?"

"In Mrs Smith's office. We are scheduled to finish at 12:30. Do you know her?"

"Are you kidding, who doesn't? Okay I'll collect you from there."

A well-built guy with an untidy mop of hair stood at the doorway and said, "Right are you ready to go Roxy."

"What do you want with Roxy?"

"Oh hi Mrs Smith. I'm head cameraman on the Italian doco."

"Oh then at least they have assigned one of our best cameramen. Off you go Roxy. Steven is more or less a gentleman."

He strode away and Roxy had to half-jog to keep up with him. Some gentleman, she thought.

"No one told me you were a good-looker."

"Well you better believe your eyes."

He laughed and asked what she knew about a field production.

"Nothing I'm afraid and I know nothing about filming. But by the time we are underway I'll know everything I need to know which is why I'm with Mrs Smith every morning."

"Jesus, you know nothing?"

"Tell me what you know about presenting."

Steven smiled and said, "You're all right Roxy. I'll hold your hand if we run into trouble."

"I bet."

He frowned as asked what she meant by that.

"Your first priority will be your precious cameras."

He grinned and said obvious she did know something about remote filming.

"I do know I have sharp instincts."

At the café Steven chose beer and Roxy ordered red wine.

"Sally said you have been to Italy."

"Yes I've been to Tuscany where our locations will be more than a dozen times. What about you?"

"I've flown over Italy twice."

"Oh never mind, I'll hold your hand."

And that established their close relationship.

"I'd really appreciate that Steven, being told what I need to know."

During lunch Roxy learned the movie team would consist of operators of the two cameras, a sound technician who would double as the grip responsible for all the equipment, a lighting guy who would also act as a cable puller and help with the setting up and breaking down after each shoot was completed and a production assistant who would assist Sally with admin and also keep and store the log sheets and release forms safely and each day or so get the tapes copied and the original sent home to Channel 8.

"That's seven of us; I thought we would be a team of eight? Oh I forgot my minder Mrs Scott."

"No her title is production assistant. She needs to be working to qualify for her inclusion in this tight team. We pick up another person over there, an Italian woman responsible for confirming locations and coordinating the interviews and helping us with stroppy officials. She has a high ranking in some Government cultural outfit and has offered to look after breakfast and when we are in remote locations to do lunch and snacks. Sally who speaks Italian says that woman will be a key to our success. Sally has been over there several times scouting locations and planning shoots and if you know any Italian that would help."

Roxy let rip with some Italian.

"Huh," is that Italian?

"Yes."

"What did you say?"

"You really won't want me to translate."

"Oh but I do, I saw your eyes light up and your hand gestures were awesome."

"I said, You mother-fucker, why didn't you get off your skinny butt when at high school and learn a second language. Yes asshole if you'd learned Italian you'd have no need for me to negotiate a price for you when you were struck dumb by an Italian prostitute asking, 'Oh hi tourist big boy, you'd like some nookie I think'."

Steven turned bright red and said, "Roxy I can't believe those foul words came out of your sweet mouth."

"We all learn something new every day providing we keep switched on Steven."

* * *

Mrs Smith was home cooking dinner for herself and Mr Smith when her phone went.

"Mrs Smith, it's Cassandra Hawkins. We are in deep trouble. Presenter Anna Kingston is a no show after being assaulted in the elevator and is being taken off for medical assessment as we speak. I'm sorry to be calling at dinner time but..."

Mrs Smith cut in. "Tell me what you want Cassandra."

"We need someone to step in an interview super-model Jacki Mellows who's consented to come to the studio to be interviewed before she continues out to her parent's ranch. It's the first time she'd been home for seven years and her flight is due in about ten minutes. We have tried but can't get a senior presenter for love or money. It's Friday night..."

"You're a producer Cassandra. Didn't I train you not to panic?"

"I apologize Mrs Smith."

"When is Miss Mellows on?"

"She's the full program, from 7:30."

"Well yes, I'd be panicking too in your position. Roxy Reeves told me she was going on a date to Luigi's Restaurant this evening and that's quite near here. This is Roxy's phone number."

Cassandra took the number but complained, "Roxy's untried."

"Child, believe me, Roxy has twice the natural talent of most presenters we have here. Just call her and when she arrives keep her calm and brief her and don't you dare try to direct her and she'll take the bit between her teeth. Off you go."

"Oh god," Cassandra wailed and cut the call.

Roxy felt her phone vibrate and almost ignored it but then thought it could be Sally Brookes with a problem.

They had just been seated and Steven was attempting to search the menu to find steak and fries.

"Steven, do you mind if I take this call, it could be urgent?"

"Go ahead."

Roxy identified and listened.

"Okay I'm on my way. It's Studio B isn't it? Thanks."

"I have to go, to interview someone on TV live in a few minutes. The usual presenter has been injured."

"Jesus Roxy, we haven't eaten and the restaurant will charge us because I booked the table."

"Come on," she said and spoke to the Italian maître d' in Italian. He smiled and bowed and Roxy slipped him twenty bucks.

"What did you say to him?"

"That you were impatient for sex and we'd be back within ninety minutes."

Steven was dumbstruck.

As they ran from the cab he asked, "Who are you to interview?"

"Jacki Mellows. She's a model who's just come in from somewhere via a feeder flight."

"She's more than just a model; she's internationally famous and is based in France."

"A model is just a model just as a banker is a banker Steven, are you attempting to make me nervous?"

As they turned into Studio B he said, "Christ you'll be anchoring 'After the News' and the entire half-hour less one ad break will be devoted to your interview. What will you talk to her about?"

"I could ask her why she such a bitch is."

Steven stopped in shock while Roxy jogged on and a women in a faded university sweater and jeans that were too tight for her said, "Roxy, we have ten minutes. I'm Cassandra Hawkins the producer. Now listen as I brief you. We need to stop at this trolley where a woman from make-up will work on you. You sit and just listen."

The set up was no different from when Mrs Smith had taken Roxy through a coaching routine. Roxy had interviewed Mrs Smith in the rehearsal and in fact they'd used this studio.

Roxy faced the correct camera and looked at the autocue and, palms sweating, listened to the countdown.

As the autocue rolled she introduced herself as standing in for the regular presenter of the show. She identified who her famous guest was and read the background information and then she said to the small studio audience, "Please welcome international supermodel Jacki Meadows, visiting home turf for the first time in seven years."

Roxy stood and Miss Glamour swept up to her and they went through the motions of almost kissing and Roxy said, "Welcome home on behalf of citizens who are proud of your achievements."

"Why thank you. Actually my parents' ranch where I grew up is 33 miles out from city limits."

"But this is the nearest city to the ranch and you attended high school in this city."

"Well yes. How strange I had never thought of Ellenville as being my hometown. When people ask me where I come from I habitually say off a ranch in the middle of nowhere."

"Does it matter?"

"Actually it doesn't but I feel some attachment to Ellenville. You see around thirty-three years ago my father was here in the city visiting an old friend in hospital when he eyed this gorgeous nurse and she blushed. Two years later that nurse and my mother married."

"That's a lovely story Jacki. What is a normal breakfast for you?"

"Pardon me?"

"What do you usually eat for breakfast?"

"Miss Reeves aren't you aware your viewers will be more interested in my career than what I eat for breakfast."

"Are you quite sure about that and aren't you bored about people and particularly near-breathless media people asking you about your career?"

"That's two questions. The answer to both is no."

"Are you quite sure that you are not bored at repeatedly being asked about your career?"

"God you are persistent. Well very well, I lied but feel it's my duty to reply civilly to civil questions."

"Have you a question to ask me?"

"Yes Miss Reeves. Why did you address me as Jacki when it is customary for people including journalists to address top models formally?"

"I suppose that's because I'm ignorant and because to me you look warm and friendly and more like a Jacki than a Miss Mellows."

"I'm impressed by that answer Roxy. My preferred breakfast is a lightly fried egg on a hash brown."

"Wow. I guess it became your favorite breakfast as a girl?"

"Correct. I used to mess around with my breakfast until one day my mom said 'Jacki what would you eat if I don't give your cereal?' I said a fried egg on a hash brown. My two brothers who are younger than me decided they'd prefer my choice of breakfast and then within a couple of days mom and dad began eating fried eggs on hash browns."

"I guess you were an energetic youngster so that choice of food didn't end up around your waist?"

"Correct again Roxy. That food seems to suit my type of metabolism but not only that, it gives me an energy boost and that in turn switches on my focus and I'm off to a good start to my day."

"Do you enjoy sex or is that something a celebrity like yourself prefers not to talk about?"

"Roxy this is not late night television."

"I know but the question was not asking you to define preferences or to endorse any practice and so I'm relaxed about the question."

"Then my answer is very much and I ask may we move on?"

"Why has it been seven years since you were last home?"

"Because time marches on I guess."

Roxy giggled and said, "Perhaps you can interpret what I meant by my question?"

"Yes I can. You now know I can be flippant to fob off questions I don't really want to answer. Because I maintain a busy schedule in Europe I find it more convenient to pay for my parents to visit me in Paris once a year and I take a few days off."

"So what's changed this time?"

"Roxy this might sound silly to me but the last pony I had on the ranch before I left for college is ailing and dad says she needs to be put down. So I've come home to say goodbye and to be with her when the deed is being done."

"Oh I am so sorry, your pony was loyal to you and you are here... oh god, I won't go on. You will feel bad enough and..."

"No it's fine. You are on the right track. Sheba was a darn good pony and dad and mom were so proud of the ribbons I won riding her at our local pony club. She did everything I asked of her and I knew I'd never forgive myself if I didn't take this opportunity to be with her at the end."

"You are an amazing person Jacki and have completely given me new understanding of how top models might behave privately. I guess we only read about models that go off the rails a bit. When will you marry?"

"What?"

"When will you marry? The clock for you aged thirty-three is ticking if you wish to have children."

"That is a very personal question Roxy."

"Perhaps but my late grandmother use to say if you don't ask you don't get."

"Well lately I have been thinking seriously about it."

"Thanks, that answer satisfies my curiosity. We return after this break."

Resuming after the ad break, the interview covered the eating habits of top models, what became of them when they retire, how Jacki filled in her time between assignments, would she look up old friends while she was home and when she returned to Paris what would she do before her first scheduled assignment.

Roxy thanked Jacki for coming into the studio at Channel 8 and laughing thanked her for her patience and tolerance.

"Roxy, I've been interviewed hundreds of times and I must say this evening's interview was really enjoyable for me and so novel. I wasn't asked about the glitz and glamor around my career and we didn't discuss fashion. You concentrated on me and I can't believe I talked about my pony Sheba as I did. You are an amazing interviewer really amazing Roxy. As the credits rolled Roxy was being hugged by Jacki and so missed seeing her name as the presenter on the monitor.

Back at the restaurant, Steven said, "Jacki publicly acknowledge what a good interviewer you were. That should help advance your career?"

"Who knows? Mrs Smith says that on TV what you achieve today is forgotten by most viewers by next day but it's entirely different with viewer's memories if you screw up. Why don't you have a regular girlfriend with prospects of marriage Steven?"

"What? We are talking about you."

Roxy smiled sweetly. "I would appreciate an answer."

Steven sighed and confessed that the women he became involved with seemed to think he was interested in only one thing.

"You might think that Steven but you will be overlooking other things. While I'm associated with you on this Italian project I'll attempt to lift your appeal to women. Would you like to have sex after we leave here?"

Steven's jaw dropped and Roxy's phone vibrated.

Roxy listened to the caller and then said, "No I'm sorry I'm having dinner on a date that already has been interrupted."

"Yes you may speak to me here. We're at Luigi's on Maple Street."

Sliding her phone shut, Roxy said, "Sorry about this but some woman from The Morning Star newspaper wishes to speak to me."

"Roxy if they publish the story with your photograph you'll become a notable in this city."

"Well if she brings a photographer Steven could you borrow the camera and take a few shots of me. I have confidence in you."

"I'm a TV cameraman."

"Yes but you grew up using those smaller cameras didn't you?"

"Yes but asking a professional cameraman to hand over his camera is like asking him to allow you to borrow his car."

"Allow me to make the suggestion Steven."

It was after 11:00 by the time Steven was undressing Roxy in her tiny studio apartment.

"Slow down Steven and quite that heavy breathing. God your overly red face and panting would scare off women more nervous than me."

He slowed. "I can't imagine you being nervous."

"I'm only human Steven. Self-confidence can only take you so far. Please remember that. No don't be so rough with that fastener of this expensive bra. Feel the fastener with your forefinger to identify how to unclip it. Most bra fasteners are pretty much standard so slow you're breathing and try to imagine undoing those two clips and that focus should help. If your date has to unfasten your bra she will be thinking what else can't you do and that's not a good start."