Running on Fumes Pt. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

They were only minutes away from Kimmi's apartment. The sun was finally starting to set when they arrived. Simon pulled up to the curb and stopped the car.

"What do you want to do?"

"I want to blow the lid off their experiments. But how? All we have is," she pointed at the cooler, "that, and our story. Krowe will deny and we'll get busted for the unauthorized autopsy. We need more proof."

"How are we going to get it?" Simon asked,

"There's got to be a way in to the lab. I'm going to have to go back to Krowe tomorrow. I'll find a way in, and…"

"And what? You're going to need help. What if they find out about the autopsy? They'll kill you the second you set foot in the building."

"I guess that's a chance I'm going to have to take. So, I'll call you tomorrow, after I get through at Krowe." Kimmi unbuckled and started to open the car door.

"Oh no you don't," Simon said grimly. We're a team. If you go, I go."

"Really? I thought you might have had enough, now that you know you weren't the target of the attack."

"Hell. In for a penny, in for a pound. I'm not going to let you do it alone. You need me." He gave Kimmi a wicked smile.

"So, you want to meet in the morning?" Kimmi asked, not wanting to say good night.

"No. Simon said, making a quick decision. "You're coming with me. I'm not sure you'll be safe here. My bribe may not have been enough to keep Alice quiet. Let's just go n, grab a few things and get out of here."

"But…"

"I'm serious, it's not safe. Now let's go."

"Okay. But my place is a mess. "

Simon laughed. "You think I care about that at a time like this?"

Simon was curious about Kimmi's life style, her taste, her interests. He was surprised at how much he wanted to learn about Kimmi.

Kimmi led the way to her front door. She opened it and ushered Simon inside. Simon took a minute to look around. He liked the atmosphere Kimmi had created in the funky old apartment.

"I thought you said it was a mess. This is a great place, Kimmi. Wow, look at that book collection." He walked over to the bookcase and looked admiringly at the eclectic collection of old books.

Kimmi was pleased that Simon approved. "I inherited a lot of the books from my old man. He was passionate about old books, and art and other pre-tech things. I inherited that from him too. My dad hated the 21st century technocrap, as he put it. He was a real throw back."

"Cro-Magnon?"

"Not that far back. Make yourself at home. I'm just going to throw a few things in a bag," Kimmi said as she headed for the bedroom.

"Where's your bathroom?"

"Down the hall."

Kimmi ran smack into Simon as he was coming out of the bathroom. Electricity crackled between them.

"Well, I guess we'd better get moving," Kimmi said shyly.

"Yeah, I guess. I'd rather stay." Simon was pressed right up against Kimmi. "But it's not safe."

"No. It's probably not."

They left quickly and Simon made good time on the trip to Philadelphia. There wasn't much to talk about. The cooler on the back seat seemed to grow larger and larger as time passed.

"Stay within the speed limit," Kimmi said nervously when she saw the speed creeping up. We'd have a lot to explain if we were pulled over and searched."

Simon slowed down. Darkness fell.

"What kind of music do you like?" he asked.

"Anything but blues," Kimmi responded.

"How about some really old rock and roll."

"Sure. I like the old stuff. What do you have?"

"I've got a good mix." Simon popped a disc into the player.

"That's great. I've never heard it before. Who is it?" Kimmi asked after a few minutes.

"The Doors. Their lead singer was a casualty of the '60's."

"Drugs?"

"So they say."

"Alex was into drugs. Too much so. I think that's where things started to go wrong." Kimmi started to feel blue again.

"I'm really sorry about Alex. What a low blow," Simon paused. How do you want to handle things tomorrow?"

"I don't really know," Kimmi said. "Maybe we should get there early. Get a jump on things. I'd like to go in there and blow Sol's head off. I really would. And then Glory. Maybe the rest of the board of directors, too."

"We can't do that. We don't want to end up in jail. Besides, we're not sure about Sol."

"I am. It's the only thing that makes sense."

"Okay. So we go in armed. Just in case Alice's bribe wasn't sufficient."

"And if it wasn't?"

"Then we're probably dead," Simon said grimly.

"Oh Christ. I shouldn't have gotten you into this. Why don't you wait outside until I get in? See if it's safe."

"You've got to be kidding. And if it's not safe, what do you propose I do. Let them kill you and walk away?"

"Yes." The last think Kimmi wanted was to get Simon killed.

"No dice. They'd still want me dead, knowing I planned the autopsy and have the head. Forget it. We go in together, early. What's the earliest you can go to work without it looking funny?"

"Early's going to look funny no matter what. Human resources specialists keep pretty regular hours. Security's light on my floor. It's the labs that's gonna be tough to get access to.

"Who's gonna be there early?"

"Sol, probably. Glory, maybe. There's always staff on the sixth floor. It's a mini-hospital as well as a research facility."

"If we got into the hospital could we get into the labs from there -- by posing as doctors or something?"

"I doubt it. Everyone knows everyone on the sixth floor. My face is pretty familiar to them anyway."

"Shit. There's gotta be a way. Maybe we should just stick a gun to Sol's fat head and drag him to the lab."

"I don't think he's that far into the loop." Kimmi said, thinking hard. "But on the other hand, Glory must know her way around real well."

"That's something to think about."

Between the music and the planning, the miles flew by. They still hadn't come up with a firm plan when they arrived at Simon's home.

Simon lived in a graceful old grey stone house at the far edge of Fairmont Park. It was fully renovated, automated, and very secure. They pulled up to the gatehouse and Simon pressed a code into a pad. The gate swung open. Kimmi saw a couple of hounds running on the lawn.

"Pets?" she asked, curious.

"Yes," Simon responded as he pulled up the driveway. "They're very well trained. No one they disapprove of gets past them." He stopped the car.

"What if they disapprove of me?"

"They'll eat you," Simon joked.

"Simon…" Kimmi was nervous but didn't want to show it.

"It's okay. You're with me," Simon said as he stepped out of the car. Just let them sniff you a bit. Once they get your scent you're on their list of approved guests. Unless I say otherwise," he warned, laughingly.

"So I'd better watch my step, is that it?" Kimmi grabbed her bag and stepped out of the car. The dogs had already said a brief hello to Simon. They raced to Kimmi's side of the car. She stood still while they sniffed at her.

"Oh yeah," Kimmi crooned at them. "You're just pussy cats, aren't you? Pussy cats with very sharp teeth and strong jaws. I'll bet you'd love to have me for dinner, wouldn't you?" Her soothing tone of voice won them over quickly.

"They like you" Simon said with a smile in his voice. "You have a way with animals, and Secredollies."

"That's me," Kimmi said as she patted and stroked them, "multi-talented. They're gorgeous. What're their names?"

"Cleo and Sheeba. I like bitches." Simon took Kimmi's arm and walked her towards the house.

It was dark out and the air was still. There was a scent of flowers and warm, moist earth. The moon hadn't risen yet, but the stars were bright in the summer sky. Kimmi wished she could stop time. It was peaceful, and walking with Simon in the starlight felt so right.

They reached the doorstep. Simon turned off the alarm and unlocked the large, oak door.

"Welcome to my home," he said simply as the door creaked open.

The lights in the hall turned on automatically. Simon ushered Kimmi inside and closed the door. He waited in anticipation for her reaction to the room.

Kimmi looked the room over slowly. It was captivating -- a strong, bold room, like the man, Kimmi realized.

"It's terrific," Kimmi said. She walked in and stood in the middle of the room. You put all of this together yourself, didn't you? It's so much like you."

"Does that mean I'm terrific? Simon said lightly.

"Yes." She felt flustered all of a sudden. "No. I mean…."

"Which is it? Yes or no?

Kimmi didn't know what to say. She felt like a gawky teenager.

'

Simon walked over to Kimmi, stopping short about two inches from her nose. He put his hands on her shoulders. "I haven't been able to get you out of my head since we danced," he breathed into her ear. "I get this tug whenever I look at you, or think of you. When I first heard your voice over the phone I wanted to drive over and carry you off. Kimmi, I want you. I don't want to wait any longer."

He leaned into her and kissed her gently. The kiss deepened. Kimmi relaxed and their passion for each other took hold.

"Oh God, Simon," Kimmi was breathless, fully aroused.

Simon led her up the stairs to his bedroom. When they got there, he helped her off with her clothes and shoulder brace.

"Poor wounded bird" he said when he saw the bruises and road rash from her accident.

Kimmi laughed hoarsely. "This is the first time in days I've forgotten about my shoulder."

He laid her down gently on the bed. "Is it going to be alright?" he asked, concerned.

"Oh, yes." she said. "Hurry."

"No." He gave her a slow smile. I'm going to take my time with you."

They had been heading here from the moment they met on the dance floor. But the dance they danced this night was eternal. They found something they had both been missing. It was hot and erotic but comforting. They knew instinctively how best to tease, and taste and explore. Sensation built and built until Kimmi's world exploded. Gold and white light shimmered all around her.

For Simon it was an agony of pleasure. It was just… different, somehow -- more intense. "Oh God!" He groaned with pleasure as he spent himself. It seemed to go on forever.

They lay still in eachother's arms for a little while.

Kimmi was first to speak. She stretched a bit. "Wow. That was great. I thought you were going to give me a heart attack." She thought she'd better keep it light. The strength of her feelings scared her. I can't get involved. She warned herself. What if I loose him, too? I couldn't bear it.

Simon gave Kimmi a fuzzy grin. Hey lady. That was divine. "He sat up, and turned to hug Kimmi. She tensed.

"What?" Simon asked, hurt.

"Nothing. Simon that was wonderful. She gave him a weak smile. "What d'ya say we order a pizza. I'm starving. Are you hungry?"

"Yeah, sure," he said shortly, confused by her withdrawal. "You order it. I need a shower."

"Alright. "

Silence.

Simon stared at her. "Is it Alex? Is that the problem?"

"What problem? There's no problem."

"Yeah, right. Have it your way." He walked naked to the bathroom.

"Shit." He said as he slammed the door. We clicked. I know we did. So why the freeze out? I don't know. Maybe this lady is too complicated for me. I just can't figure women out. Just when you're sure you know where you stand they pull the rug out from under you. Do I need this? I don't need this.

He turned the shower on full force and stepped into the spray. He let the cool water and the massage heads do their work. They calmed him, and soothed his frayed nerves. And then his stubborn streak kicked in. God damn it, she's not going to get away with this. If she's got a problem she's going to have to tell me about it.

He stepped out of the shower and toweled himself off. He found his robe, put it on and marched downstairs to the living room ready to do battle.

Kimmi was sitting on the sofa, staring idly out the window.

"Kimmi." He started.

"Oh hi. You're done" she said, all chipper." I ordered the pizza. And soda…."

"Cut the crap, Kimmi."

"What?"

"Just cut it out. You've got a problem and I want to know what it is."

"I don't know what you mean."

"Sure you do." He sat down next to her, deliberately very close. "Here's the thing. What we just had in bed was…."

"Great, Simon. It was great sex."

"Sex," Simon said flatly. "Was that all it was to you?"

"Yes," Kimmi said, trying, unsuccessfully, to smile.

"You're a lousy liar, Kimmi. And that wasn't just sex. I know it and you know it. We've been connected ever since we met on the dance floor."

"But."

"But what, Kimmi, what is it?"

"It's. I don't know. I don't know how to say it."

"Just say it, what ever it is."

"Simon, I'm losing everything, everything I counted on, everything I loved. If I get involved. If what's happened between us is real"

"Go on," Simon said through his teeth.

"And if I have it, and then loose it, I'll die, I'll just die. So I can't afford to get attached to you. It'll kill me. Don't you see?"

Simon was relieved. "It's alright Kimmi, you can trust me. I won't bug out on you. I'm a stubborn son of a bitch.

"But what if…."

"Shh. The world could end tomorrow and we couldn't stop it. That's just the way it is. But you and me? We could have something if you give it a chance. I understand you're scared. It's okay. But don't throw this away. You don't get chances like this but once in a lifetime."

"I don't know Simon. Those are pretty words. But you could wake up tomorrow and, everything's changed"

Simon gave her a piercing look. He wished he could look into her soul. "Maybe you could wake up different tomorrow. I won't. Will you Kimmi? Is that what you're scared of?"

"No. I don't know. Everything's upside down right now.

"Everything except what just happened in that bedroom a few minutes ago," Simon said, heatedly. You can't deny what's between us."

"What's between us, Simon? A blown up brain and a blown up bar. That's about it."

"And good sex." Simon said, looking dangerous.

"That's right."

"And that's all? Is that really all? " he said angrily. "If that's true you're really screwed-up and you and Alex deserved each other."

"You bastard." Kimmi saw red. She curled up her fist and was ready to haul off and punch him. All of her pent up anger and frustration from the crap over the past week came to a boil.

"You want to hit me?" Simon said. He could take her down in an instant if he wanted to. "Come on, Kimmi, hit me."

"I will, Goddamnit," she said as she swung her fist."

Wrong arm. "Ouch! Oh Christ. Jesus." She swung with her left. Simon grabbed her wrist and pulled her towards him. "Stop it Kimmi, damn it," he said as she struggled free and let another punch fly. "Damn it Kimmi, stop it. I mean it." She tried to knee him in the groin but he side stepped her. "You're just going to hurt yourself," he said as he struggled to calm her down without damaging either her or himself.

"I know you're mad. But you're not mad at me. Not really." He managed to pull her down onto the floor. He held her until she stopped fighting. He wasn't angry any more. He just wanted Kimmi to listen to reason.

"Kimmi," Simon said as Kimmi struggled to catch her breath. "I know a lot of bad shit has happened to you. Jesus, do I know. But I'm not your enemy. What if we hadn't screwed? We'd still be friends, right?"

"Yeah, I guess," Kimmi said reluctantly.

"Even with all that's been thrown at us we had a good time together, didn't we?

Kimmi was silent.

"So it wasn't just sex."

"No." Kimmi wasn't sure where he was going with this. But she was calmer now. It had felt good to vent her rage, but she was starting to feel a little guilty. Simon wasn't really who she was mad at.

"We could call it quits right now," Simon suggested, "if that's what you want."

The thought of losing Simon now chilled Kimmi to the bone. "No," she said. "I don't know. I'm all mixed up. I'm sorry I hit you. It's just everything,"

"I know," he pulled her closer. She felt so good in his arms. "I know. It's probably good you got some of the anger out. You pack a Hell of a punch, though," he said, laughing a little.

"Bullshit," Kimmi said, relenting. "I barely touched you. I have the feeling you could have creamed me if you wanted to."

"Maybe," Simon said. "But I didn't want to. I kind of liked watching you fight. I like a woman with spunk."

"Spunk!" Kimmi said, with mock anger. "You sexist. I'll bet you like them pregnant and in the kitchen, too."

"Hell no," Simon said. "I want to be a kept man. "

"Well," I'm afraid you've got the wrong woman for that. I don't have a pot to piss in."

"Maybe not," Simon said. "I have a feeling you'll bounce back pretty quick. And I have some ideas. We talked about topless dancing earlier, remember."

"You rat," Kimmi laughed, her anger forgotten as quickly as it had come. "You wouldn't."

"Maybe not, but I'd love to see you, on stage…." He gave her a smooth smile.

The door bell interrupted his flight of fancy. Simon stood up and hit the intercom button.

"Who is it?"

"Pizza delivery."

"What kind of pizza do you have?" Simon asked

"Uh, large, pepperoni, mushroom and extra cheese."

"Is that what you ordered?" He asked Kimmi.

"Yes."

"Pays to be careful." Simon explained. "Let him in, I'll go get my wallet."

Five minutes later they were wolfing down pizza, washed down with red wine.

"It's not exactly Il Tuscano, but it'll do in a pinch," Simon said as he pulled a second piece out of the box. His fingers were greasy and he had a smudge of tomato sauce on his chin.

"You look good enough to eat," Kimmi said. "I feel better. I'm not hard to please. Decent food, comfortable surroundings, good company..."

"Great sex," Simon chimed in.

"Ah, yes. We'll come to that."

Yes we will. We'll come again and again and…."

Kimmi burst out laughing. "You're a rogue, a scoundrel. Fathers hide your daughters. Simon Delacroix's in town."

"Oh, lady, you slander me. I'm fair innocent. Besotted, nay, bewitched by your charms."

"Oh no," Kimmi said, "I'm on to you. I'm just one of a thousand conquests. A man like you needs only to raise his hand and cherries fall from their branches."

"Not so," Simon demurred. "I'm a constant man. What want I with silly twits who linger longingly at my doorstep? I need substance, not sugar, though it may be sweet. Too much rots the teeth and fattens the belly.

"And that would be a crime against nature, would it not?"

"Aye. That be true."

Both Simon and Kimmi were feeling the wine, the after glow of great sex and the delicious anticipation of another go-round. They wanted to drag it out – extend the evening.

"Do you play chess?" Simon asked suddenly.

"A little," Kimmi said.

"A little, huh?" Simon's eyes narrowed. "The last person who said 'a little' to me had been playing for thirty years and beat the crap out of me two out of three. Is that the kind of 'little' you play?"

"Well, maybe not quite that little. Only two out of three? I guess you play 'a little' too.

"No. I play some. Want a game? Winner gets a sexual favor."

Kimmi hesitated.

"Not too confident, are you?" Simon teased.

Kimmi rose to the challenge. "I'll get you for that," she promised

Simon dragged out his favorite board. It was made of beautifully inlaid wood, red and white. The pieces were hand carved and well proportioned. They had substance.

"Nice set," Kimmi said.

"You, too," Simon leered at her chest, laughing.

"Infant," Kimmi retorted. She shuffled two pawns behind her back, and then held out her fists. "Pick," she said.

"Black," Simon said, confidently, pointing to her left hand.

Kimmi opened her hand. "White."

"So much for telepathy."

They set up the board. Simon made a traditional opening. Kimmi played close to the vest at first, testing Simon's strength. True to form, Simon had a swashbuckling approach to the game. Kimmi grew bolder, sensing bluster in Simon's play. Simon was cagy. He neatly trapped her with a sneaky bishop.