All Comments on 'Second Chance, Book 07'

by coaster2

Sort by:
  • 35 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousalmost 16 years ago
Good, but...

for someone who had waited so long for the 'right' man to come along and then to marry him, move her son, only to leave them both for the majority of the time. Nah. Sacrifice or compromise of some kind is usually made in marriage, but it's not like she was set in a career when they met. Of the two, she was the more flexible in regards to change and didn't need to make such a drastic decision on what she would do for work. On top of that, he learned the fragility of life the hard way and once engaging in life again would not want to waste it. Being apart when it's not needed is wasteful.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 16 years ago
nice, but ? (2)

I had wanted to add this to yesterday's comments, but to-day may even be more approriate. I'm afraid for them. It's all so good and nice, that unevitably something disturbing is likely to happen. I pray for them that Brent's and Bonnie's newfound loving relationship doesn't get messed up again with this living-apart-together. Working in the same sort of industry, they are bound to run into the same people. What with this Ron-guy wanting to take revenge on Brent once he finds out Bonnie is Brent's 2nd wife? Could he set her up, drug her, and ... get her to perform in the Wheel as well ?? If so, maybe Joanne (who hasn't appeard since her dubious role with Jeanette in the beginning) could find out about Ron's intentions and make up to Brent by warning him about the danger, etc .... Like I said yesterday, guessing doen't help a bit, all we can doe is wait for ther rest of this excellent story. G.Belgium.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 16 years ago
An Excellent Story

The series was very good from start to finish. Thank you.

bruce22bruce22almost 16 years ago
Good Romance

You know if you had not done the stripper bit this would have been a calm and cool romance from start to finish. The intro

attracted a log of people from the Loving Wives readers who may have been over critical about the "holes" in the plot.

Still I am happy with present music and I believe it was

useful to know where Brent was coming from. Still it looks to me as if you could turn the Quartet into a Heptet and tie it together for publishing! I too have had to live with the fear that this was not the Second Chance, yet!

peggytwittypeggytwittyalmost 16 years ago
Story keeps growing with continued developments

G.Belgium raises some of the many things I also wait in anticipation of. You have left so many open variables it is with an eagerness of what is ahead that keeps us so interested and entertained.<P>Thank You<P>PT

jack_strawjack_strawalmost 16 years ago
Could have been much better

Coaster is one of the best writers we have, and this is an entertaining tale that held my interest, which is what a good writer can do. Still, considering the author and what he's capable of producing, it's a little disappointing. It's good, but nowhere near the quality of his masterwork, "Speed of the Sound of Loneliness." I have a couple of problems with this one. First, as some have already stated, there are too many loose ends, too many important plot threads that are never resolved. For instance, the Ron Dixon character leaves Mountain Pine vowing revenge and threatening a lawsuit. But nothing ever happens. And what exactly was the nature of the conflict at the Christmas party that put him and Brent at odds in the first place? That was a key element in the story that was never pursued. Also, at the strip club, Ron and a couple of others insinuate that Jeanette was doing more than just dancing, which made a big difference in how Brent reacted. And yet he never pushed for an answer to that element of his wife's transgression. Stripping is one thing, but giving blowjobs in the back room is something else altogether. And what became of Joanne? She was the key figure early on, talking Jeanette into applying for the job at the strip club, then bailing on her. What was her motivation? It was touched on briefly, but it seemed to me such a vital part of the story, and it was just kind of shoved to the side, and then she simply disappeared. The second big problem I had was simply the too-sweet nature of the story as a whole. I felt like I needed to see the dentist after finishing it. Everybody was perfect: Brent, Jeanette, all the corporate folks, Bonnie, the kids. Everybody always did the right thing at the right time for the right reasons. Nobody had any flaws, or if they did they were quickly pulled from the stage (Ron and Joanne). I found myself hoping the conflict with Tim was something like smoking dope or banging some chick he'd picked up, just to inject a little reality into the story. Also, I too wondered about the business of having Bonnie move to Vancouver so soon after the wedding. They'd moved heaven and earth to be together, then she runs off to pursue her career. That didn't make sense. Again, if this was a lesser writer I'd just shrug off these concerns, but I know what Coaster can do when he really sinks himself in a story. This was an okay story, but it could have been so much better.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 16 years ago
Still enjoying this story

I'm still enjoying this story very much. I wonder where you are going with this story, suspenseful yes it is, waiting for the next chapter.

Tim

JADED_ONE1969JADED_ONE1969almost 16 years ago
This is...

Too happy. Too nice. It's like when you go to the fairground and you go on a roller coaster you have ups and downs and then you see this really big steep climb you know you will go down the big dip, but in this story you are stuck at the top you know or think you know something bad is going to happen and you can prepare for it, in this story every thing is working out okay, but I expect something nasty to happen around the corner. I hope I'm wrong. Anyway well written as always.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 16 years ago
Story doesn't shine

I guess my take is a bit different than others commenting - I just don't find this story compelling, nor the characters interesting, at least since the end of Book 3. What substantial conflict since the death of Jeanette has been added? You really didn't give the reader any satisfactory answer to why Jeanette worked at the strip club or why she had a stage name of "Bee Jay" (that was reported to have been earned) other than a vague reference that the brain tumor may have had some influence. To me, this story has dragged since the death with no goal in sight. Brent comes off as unsympathetic and not very interesting - he doesn't have a clue what his kids and adopted son are doing or what interests them. I know this is in the Novella section and could continue for an eternity but please jazz the story line up to at least hold some interest to this reader, if no other. And I don't mean with more sex scenes but traditional story elements.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 16 years ago
Lost World

Many unrelated unfinished stories strung together about 1000 times too long. So many rambling, unfinished plot lines and unnecessary verbiage going off into nowhere they would be hard to count. Why was all that crap in the first part necessary to the middle or end? And if you felt it was to show how Brent got to the end, why was none of it explained? Wasn't even an attempt to explain complex plot twists, turns and details gratuitously and apparently unnecessarily inserted. Comments show many reader are still paranoid about the first wife's sister and Ron. What DID happen to them? They must have gotten lost in all the meandering words and paragraphs in the story and died of boredom. By comparison, my INCOME TAX FORMS' INSTRUCTIONS seemed less obfuscatory and to the point.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 16 years ago
Lost World

Many unrelated unfinished stories strung together about 1000 times too long. So many rambling, unfinished plot lines and unnecessary verbiage going off into nowhere they would be hard to count. Why was all that crap in the first part necessary to the middle or end? And if you felt it was to show how Brent got to the end, why was none of it explained? Wasn't even an attempt to explain complex plot twists, turns and details gratuitously and apparently unnecessarily inserted. Comments show many reader are still paranoid about the first wife's sister and Ron. What DID happen to them? They must have gotten lost in all the meandering words and paragraphs in the story and died of boredom. By comparison, my INCOME TAX FORMS' INSTRUCTIONS seemed less obfuscatory and to the point.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 16 years ago
too mellow, too sweet

no real suspense now, but all together a very good story.

JakeRiversJakeRiversalmost 16 years ago
Eveyone deserves a second chance!

Even though this is fiction it still shines a bright light for those that have lost someone.

I enjoyed your working the business into the story. It makes a lot of sense because "working" consumes so much of most peoples lives.

First rate effort!

Regards, Jack

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 16 years ago
is this story finished ?

Coaster, you can't leave us hanging here ??

AnonymousAnonymousover 15 years ago
Great story.

I really enjoyed reading this story, your characters were very believable and the dialog, emotionally moving. A really great story, keep up the good writing.

bornagainbornagainabout 15 years ago
Great Ending

A great ending where the husband doesnt find out the wife is fooling around when she is away like when Bonnie went to talk to those people about the apartment to rent i would have thought that Bonny and the wife would come to an agreement about the rent there way .

AnonymousAnonymousover 11 years ago
good one

really liked all 7 books. are there more to these 2?

billybob6977billybob6977about 10 years ago
Hmm

Another one with no ending. Love ones that have a ending, not floating in air.

Tootsall222Tootsall222about 10 years ago
Excellent Story, Excellent Research.

Do not know who Coaster2 is...they appear to have unregistered...BUT...for those curious about the setting I can state unequivocally that those places exist. Myself, my wife, and one of our daughters have attended and graduated from the University of Lethbridge, the Heidelberg Hotel has been bought out and renamed, Castelgar is indeed on The Crowsnest Highway (#3) and is the centre of the Dukhabor settlement in B.C., Selkirk College exists as does S.A.I.T. (Southern Alberta Institute of Technology) in Calgary. It is a ton of fun to read a story with so many familiar references. 5*

KarenEKarenEalmost 10 years ago
@billybob6967

What do you want for an ending?

Unless we're going to follow them to their graves we're going to have to leave them at SOME point!

I think it's pretty obvious that they're going to continue on as is, she's not going to give up her job, she misses the family but she would also miss the satisfaction from the job if she gave it up.

Once Tim goes off to school Brent will find ways to spend more time in Vancouver.

They live happily ever after.

THE END

Happy now?

MainefiddleheadsMainefiddleheadsabout 9 years ago
Thanks

for a great story.

arrowglassarrowglassover 8 years ago
DITTO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

A wonderful love story...!

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
Abrupt ending

A great story but an abrupt ending with unresolved issues.

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
Wait...!

Is story finished? It left me hanging a little bit.

Again, because I can't login I sign here,

Etchiboy

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
Great Story,

Well told but shouldn't have ended so abruptly with so many unfinished stories. A real talent, none the less.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 6 years ago
A well-told tale of love, loss and rediscovery

A well-told story of questioning love, losing love and discovering love. Not quite enough intrigue and dastardly deeds for my taste, but perfect for those who like their romances paved by an abundance of tears on the road to a happy ending.

LA

AnonymousAnonymousabout 5 years ago
loose ends

The story was good, but there seemed to be a lot of loose ends. Jeanette's experiment with stripping was never really explained. Why did Joanne urge her sister into stripping and why did she really turn it down? Why wouldn't she have an idea of how Brent would take it? Why did Brent feel that he had to quit? The embarrassment seems to be something survivable. Why would Dan(?) (I have forgotten the smarmy one's name) have set it up, knowing that it would cost him? Payback is one thing, but professional suicide is something else. The first part of the story just seems to be a Maguffin for the rest, but the farther the story went, the better the characters seemed to know what they did and why.

I know life doesn't always provide answers, but a novel should.

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
loose ends

This story has more loose ends then statements. It has no moral the story, refuses to have any character to have any negative traits. Seems like everyone is so good and sweet, you would think a dentist would be needed after such a story. Even the dead wife can't be held accountable, cause its bad form to speak ill of the dead. The dead wifes' sister was dropped like a hot potato, its so sad, really. The author had so much material to work with, to make this story interesting, but dropped the ball. Not sure why this story was called second chance, cause he refused to even take one.

AnonymousAnonymousover 4 years ago
Fenomenális írás,fantasztikusan jó író...

Hát a történet vége nem ideálisan alakult!Soha nem szabad egy fiatal feleséget hagyni száz mérföldekkel arrébb munkát vállalni engedni, egy gyönyörű lakásban havonta 16-18 napot egyedül tartózkodni a férjtől távol hónapokon,talán éveken át munkát vállalva!Előbb utóbb találkozik valakivel ott helyben,aki kedvesebb ,szimpatikusabb ,netán fiatalabb,mint a nagypapa korú férje és egyre kevesebbet megy haza,már csak a tomboló hormonjai miatt is nagy esély van rá!

southernreb27southernreb27about 4 years ago
ENDINGS

as the norm Coaster leaves the readers hanging .like the stories , but not finished !!!!!!!!!!

WargamerWargameralmost 4 years ago

I think she should have dropped her and followed her heart back to her husband and family, full time!!!

Home is where the heart is💕

Rancher46Rancher46over 3 years ago

A well-told story of love, loss and rediscovery. I love how the author has characters from other story appear, in some cases it gives a picture of where the other characters ended up with their own happily ever after like Steve and Ingrid. The story developed well until the end, when rather than have them be together every day they would endure the weekly separation. It had a kind of happily ever after and I don't think as one of the comments suggest that I read that they would ever drift apart and Bonnie become a cheater. I would have liked to seen a more finality to the story. At any rate it get my 5 star vote

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 2 years ago

Didn't like the ending too much hanging.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

BITCH BONNIE GETS MARRIED THE LEAVES "DUMPS" HER SON TIM WITH A NEW FAMILY WHILE SHE ENJOYING THR GOOD LIFE ON THE COAST DURING THE WEEK, FREE OF FAMILY RESPONSIBILITIES.

CUCK BRENT

AnonymousAnonymousabout 1 year ago

BRENT IS A CUCK!! SELFISH BITCH BONNIE WILL SOON BE SCREWING SOME NEW CUSTOMERS ON THE COAST WHILE BRENT KEEPS HOUSE

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous