Shadow Dagger Ch. 14

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Jon stared at him for several long moments before smirking. "Are you referring to that fact that Reynar's mother was actually a Magi from the desert?"

Ashford wouldn't have been surprised if his jaw hit the ground. "You knew? How?"

Jon shrugged. "I knew instantly when you told us about his father marrying a woman from the desert. I remembered then the rumors all those years ago of how King Roland had taken a Magi mistress to bear him his heir. I never for a moment believed that Reynar's mother was some Magi mistress. His dark skin practically shouted the truth. And since he wasn't born a Magi Victus, I knew his mother had to be a Magi."

"Why didn't you say anything?" Ashford blurted out in shock.

"I wanted to see what you would say. I knew you still retained some loyalty to Reynar. I wanted to know if I could trust you."

"And do you?" Ashford asked, swallowing nervously.

Jon laughed. "You're still alive, aren't you?"

Ashford paled, which only caused Jon to laugh louder. "I don't see the humor in this! You're a sick, sick man!"

Jon continued to chuckle for several moments. "Sarah always did say I had a morbid sense of humor."

Predictably, Jon fell silent as soon as he mentioned his dead wife. Ashford waited in vain for him to continue.I guess I'm not that lucky. "Do you mind if I ask how long ago she died?"

"She died at the last battle of the War of the Gods," Jon said quietly, as he stared into his bowl of stew. "Why do you ask?"

"Have you ever been with another women since then?"

Jon looked at him and smirked. "I'm still a man, you know. I may be broken but I still have my urges. I've had a few lovers over the many years since Sarah died. I never got close to any of those women, of course."

"Do you think you will ever love again?" Ashford asked daringly.

Jon shook his head. "I don't even know if I will survive to see the world saved. If I do, I have other plans to take care of first."

"Like what?" Ashford asked, intrigued.

"Let's get some sleep," Jon said instead. He made his way into the tent without another word.

Ashford sat by the fire and listened to the early morning sounds of the forest. Despite the beauty and the quiet of the forest, he couldn't figure out what it meant to love as much as Jon had loved Sarah. He would never be so foolish as to give his entire heart to someone. He refused to think about Sophina as he thought this. Shaking his head, Ashford kicked some dirt over the fire and slipped inside the tent.

***

Sophina could hear the raucous laughter and the tinkling of cups as she stood before the tavern door. Even during the middle of the day, men would still drink and gamble. She couldn't remember ever feeling so frighten. No, that wasn't quite true. She always felt like this before any battle she fought in. Was that what this was?

"Don't worry," Marcus said calmly. "You'll be fine."

"I hope so," Sophina muttered. She opened the door and walked inside.

The laughter and shouting cut off instantly. The entire tavern looked over at her. She could see the hard eyes of a warrior on every single person in the tavern. Sophina swallowed nervously and clutched the grip of her sword tightly. "Hello...I'm looking for Peron, Chieftain of the Tribe of the Desert Snake."

Dark eyes stared at her intently. She was reminded vividly of her time in the War of the Desert, for every single person in the tavern had dark skin and dark eyes. Every single person was a desert warrior from the country of Raves.

"I think you're lost, my lady," a man said into the quiet of the tavern. Several people laughed. Sophina followed the gaze of many of the warriors to a man sitting at a table in the back of the tavern. She could just make out a bald head from where she stood. She made her way quickly to his table, Marcus following close behind.

She stopped behind the bald man, who was playing dice with several other warriors. He did not turn around to face her. "Are you Chieftain Peron?"

The man tossed some silver on the table. "That depends on who's asking," he said, his back still turned. "It's your throw, Junta." The man he addressed did not throw the dice; he stared boldly up at Sophina. Anger was plain on his face.

"My name is Sophina Crews. I was told you could help me."

The man chuckled. "Don't get me wrong, I don't mind when pretty ladies, such as yourself, come looking for me. But what do I want with some Astuarian whore?"

Marcus made to push past Sophina. "I'm going to teach you some--"

"No, Marcus," Sophina said sternly, holding out her arm to block his way. Her fear had left her now. She was in her battle trance. The blood was pumping through her body like fire. "Ashford Caulston sent me to see you."

This finally got the man to turn around. As much as she despised the people of Raves, Sophina had to admit that the man was handsome, even with the long, white scar that ran from the corner of his mouth all the way to his ear. "Ashford sent you? Now, now, that's a surprise. I haven't seen Ashford these last few years. Do you know why that is?"

Sophina had been warned about this. She had her answer ready. "Probably because you were cast out when King Reynar negotiated the terms of your surrender."

Peron didn't say a word or make a movement; yet Sophina could sense the sudden danger emanating from this man. His eyes alone would be enough to drop a lesser man to his knees. Well, Sophina was no man and she wasn't about to quell beneath his look.

"You've got guts," Peron finally said. His sudden smile shocked Sophina. "And a nice body, too, I must say." He winked suggestively.

Sophina was too use to this sort of behavior to be bothered. "Can you help me or not?"

Peron studied her shrewdly. His eyes lingered on her chest. Sophina crossed her arms to block his view, even though she was wearing a thick tunic. "I admire Ashford Caulston. I like his courage. But that doesn't mean I give a damn about his friends."

"You haven't heard my offer," Sophina suggested.

His eyes betrayed his sudden interest, even as he kept his voice casual. "It would take a hell of a lot for me to help out an Astuarian. Though," he added, his eyes roaming over her body, "I am open to certain kinds of persuasion."

"Well, that's good," Sophina replied, dropping her voice to a seductive whisper. She leaned down and put her face close to his. "Because I have the...goods I think you want."

Peron smiled slowly, showing startlingly white teeth. The scar on his face tightened, giving his smile a sort of sinister twist. "Perhaps we could discuss the terms of our arrangement up in my personal quarters."

"Oh, I think your men will want to witness this," she said, louder than before. She saw several smiles break out over the room.

Peron, however, frowned. "I don't share. I have a dreadful case of jealously, you see. I'm afraid several men could attest to that...if they were still alive." Laughter broke out among his men.

"You'll want to share this," she assured him. "Isn't revenge against King Reynar something you all long for?"

The room was suddenly filled with a quiet and deadly silence. Peron was no longer smiling. He touched the scar on the side of his face. "What did you say?"

Sophina looked around the room, making sure every set of eyes were on her. "That's why I need help. I want to overthrow King Reynar."

Peron stood up suddenly, knocking his chair over. The room was suddenly filled with the scraping of chairs as everyone stood up. Peron towered over her. She had to crane her head up to look him in the eyes. "That's a dangerous offer," he replied quietly. His eyes bored into hers. "That's the kind of offer that could get us all killed. This little tavern here is all you Astuarians will give us. We're not welcome in this city. So be very careful of what you say."

"I thought you were dangerous men," she said, shaking her head. "I thought you were deadly mercenaries; the best of the best. Well, if you like escorting fat merchants and their carts, then I will leave you to it."

She turned around to leave but knew he would stop her. She wasn't disappointed. "I said your offer was dangerous; that doesn't mean I didn't want to hear it."

Sophina turned back around. "I need your mercenary army. I will pay you whatever you want." She lifted the bag of gold off her belt and tossed it to him.

He opened the bag and looked inside. He whistled softly. "You know, I think you might be serious."

"There's a lot more where that came from," Sophina promised. "You'll need it to buy supplies to outfit your army and for whatever strategy you come up with."

Peron looked up and exchanged looks with the men around his table. He turned back to Sophina and tossed the bag of gold back to her. "Tempting, but no thanks. You'll need more than my men to go up against him."

"I have a plan," Sophina replied. "I just need to get through his defenses. I can take care of him myself," she added, tapping the sword on her side.

Peron looked at her and threw back his head and laughed. "You think you can challenge the greatest Magi your country has ever produced? Even if he doesn't use magic, did you know he is a master swordsman?" He touched the scar on his face. "I would know."

"I'm not worried about his magic," she replied calmly. "And I'm not too bad with a sword, myself."

The entire room erupted with laughter. Peron slapped his legs and bent over, trying desperately to catch his breath. Sophina endured this with stony silence. Finally, Peron rose back up and wiped his eyes. "You're something else, you know that? I've never met anybody who was a crazy as you and that's saying something."

"You could ask the people I fought how good I am...if they were still alive." Sophina saw Marcus smirk out of the corner of her eye.

Peron shook his head. "Is that so? I'll tell you what; if you defeat me in a duel, I will happily go along with your insane plan. Deal?"

Sophina had to try hard to suppress her sudden smile. This was exactly what she was hoping for. He had no idea what he just got himself into. She held out her hand. "Deal."

Peron grinned and shook her hand. "There's a yard right outside this tavern. Shall we?"

Sophina nodded and followed him outside of the tavern. Marcus leaned in close to whisper to her. "Are you sure about this? Peron was the Chieftain of the entire tribes during the War of the Desert. His skill in combat must be great."

"Don't worry," Sophina whispered back. "My sword will slice through his sword as easily as it would through air."

"True," Marcus whispered, sounding relieved.

Several of Peron's men cheered him on as they made their way across the yard. The sun was still high in the sky with no clouds in sight. The yard consisted of a large circle of grass enclosed by a wooden fence. Several boxes from the tavern were stacked up against the back of the tavern wall. The desert warriors formed a ring along the fence, leaving a clear space in the middle.

"This contest is to first blood," Peron informed her. "I have only been cut once in my life." He pointed to the long scar on his cheek. "Are you sure you want to go through with this?"

"Just be ready," Sophina warned him.

Peron chuckled. He withdrew a longsword from a scabbard on his side. He wore no armor; just a dark brown tunic and trousers. The desert people despised armor. "Are you ready?" he asked.

Sophina took a steadying breath and withdrew her sword. She could feel it hum slightly in her hand. She smiled. "I'm ready."

The words had barely left her mouth when Peron suddenly charged. She had almost forgotten had good the warriors of Raves were. They were quick on their feet. Peron, however, was lightning to their quick. Sophina wasn't worried, however; she trained with Jon Laurent.

She smiled as she brought her sword up to make the first block. The swords met; magic flared.

Sophina gasped; his sword was locked together with hers. It was still intact.

"How...?" she breathed.

Peron looked just as startled as she did. The runes on Sophina's blade were flared with silver light. Sophina's eyes lingered on his sword. On the runes that covered it.

"Well played," he said, winking. He stepped back and brought his sword down. "I think I underestimated you. You must be a fine warrior to have earned a Magi blade."

Sophina looked over at Marcus. He was shaking his head, his eyes wide. "I couldn't feel the magic of his blade because of yours!"

"It's a Magi blade?" she asked incredulously.

Marcus nodded. "It's nowhere near as fine as yours, of course. But, yes, it's a Magi blade."

Peron had been following their conversation with his head cocked to the side. "Who is that?" he said, nodding over at Marcus.

"You should be worried about me," Sophina said, nowhere near as confident as she was before.

"I guess I should," he said, still smiling. "Shall we? I haven't been this excited since...I fought King Reynar."

Sophina charged him this time as he spoke. Her sword was a blur in her hands as she remembered her sword training with Jon. She moved into the steady rhythm of the deadly dance. Peron matched her, stroke for stroke. Sophina constantly darted around, looking for any sign of weakness. There was none.

Through the flashes of light brought on by the clash of Magi blades, Sophina could see stark admiration on Peron's face. Sophina was comforted to know that he was fighting with all his skill.

She paid no attention to the people around her as she continued to circle him, her sword darting and weaving. His defense was perfect. He truly was a master swordsman.

Sophina knew she couldn't last much longer. As much as she had advanced in her training with Jon, Peron had several years of this type of fighting experience. Desert warriors were trained from birth to be as fast as lightning and as deadly as desert snakes. She wouldn't last much longer. Her defense would start to slip.

That thought brought an idea to her like a strike of lightning. She remembered the last time she had fought somebody who's defense appeared to be wearing down. Jon had taught her a valuable lesson that day. It would be risky, but it was her only chance.

Sophina slowed down her strikes. Her parries were just a tad slower than they were before. Her defense was getting slower. His blade was getting closer and closer to her body. With a jolt of excitement, she could see the eagerness in his eyes. He was underestimating her again.

After several more intense encounters, Sophina left him an opening he couldn't pass up. She saw the flash of victory in his eyes as his sword darted forward. He thought she was exhausted, that her reaction time wasn't what it was before.

Well, he was right. Sophina was more exhausted than she thought. She winced as his blade cut through the tunic on her side. She felt a flash of pain and the warmth of the blood that poured out.

The problem for Peron was that, though her reactions weren't as fast as she thought they would be, they weren't as slow ashe thought they would be. He stared at her, dumfounded, as blood poured down from the cut on his good cheek.

"A draw," he whispered, amazed.

Sophina winced and grabbed her side. "Looks like it."

It was only then that Sophina realized how silent the yard was. She looked around and saw looks of deep respect on the faces of the warriors surrounding her. They clapped slowly. It was a mark of respect rarely shown to Astuarians.

"It looks like we're your men," Peron breathed. He continued to look at her in amazement. "I don't know about you, but I would love to throw you down on my bed right now."

Sophina smiled. The first phase of the plan was complete.

***

Note: I hope you all enjoyed the character building in this chapter. I wanted my characters to have a relatively quiet chapter to reflect on matters such as love because, boys and girls, from here on out it's going to be insanely action-packed until the final chapter. I hope you all can hold your breath for 6 more chapters!

Chapter 15 - The Wedding; need I say more? Ok I will. Jon and Ashford reach the desert and find a welcome party waiting for them...