Shadows and Light Ch. 04

Story Info
Simon arrives at the cabin.
1.2k words
4.66
32.2k
9

Part 4 of the 18 part series

Updated 11/01/2022
Created 09/27/2007
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Chapter 4 Simon

Ian was out on the front porch of the small cabin, three days later, when Simon arrived. It was a typical day for mid September, the sunshine was warm but the breeze had a definite chill. Even though he wasn't much affected by the cold he could still feel it.

Ian watched Simon unfold himself from his car and he grinned. For someone that had enough money to live comfortably for the rest of his life, Simon insisted on a hybrid car that didn't exactly match his six foot six inch frame. Looking more like a professional football player than a serious scholar had caused more than one person to underestimate his intelligence. His knowledge of the occult and history surrounding it was unparalleled. The fact that he personally knew that vampires and other "myths" existed gave him insight and information that others simply didn't have access to.

"Hey Ian," he waved, then grabbed his bags and hauled them up to the porch. True to form, only one was a suitcase for clothes. The others were filled with books, research equipment, a laptop computer and excavating tools.

"Thanks for coming Simon. Especially on such short notice," Ian grabbed a bag.

"Like I wouldn't drop everything when you told me what happened," replied Simon rolling his pale blue eyes. "How have you been holding up?" He left the bag with the excavating tools next to the stairs leading up to the screened in porch.

They crossed the wide porch and entered the cabin. "Still feels a bit unreal," he replied, dropping the bags in the living room.

"How's the girl?"

"Recovering," he sat on the couch and gestured Simon to sit. "She doesn't talk a whole lot yet but her name is Isabelle. The last thing she remembers is attending a museum exhibit, in Minneapolis, in late May."

"He had her for four months?" Simon whistled. "I wonder what the hell he was doing."

"Rape and torture from the look of it," replied Ian with more bitterness than he had intended. "Not to mention Magic so black it practically absorbs the light."

"The one may very well have been tied to the other you know," said Simon, slipping into lecture mode. "Depending on the spells he was attempting he might need a virgin or swing to the opposite extreme of someone completely defiled. She had to have had tremendous strength of will to survive as long as she did. Maybe he was harnessing it for something." He sighed. "I'll know more when I start cataloging the basement and taking a look at the set up. I'll start that in the morning, I'll need to be fresh and I feel better doing that sort of thing during the day."

"The couch is all yours," Ian said rising. "Are you hungry?"

Simon laughed. "Not enough to risk your cooking."

Ian shot him a dirty look and the two men worked in companionable silence putting together a quick meal. Although the majority of his needs were taken care of with the blood he consumed he could and did eat regular food. Not a whole lot, his body wouldn't tolerate it, but small amounts now and then. Simon of course was wholly human and being his size more than made up for what Ian didn't eat.

Ian made up the couch with pillows and blankets.

Carrying their beers the two men went back out to the porch and sat in the rather musty chairs there. The area around the cabin was beautiful and Ian wouldn't have minded exploring it under other circumstances. The leaves of the trees were a gorgeous red, yellow, and brown and they contrasted beautifully with the towering white pines with their green needles.

"Ian, I counted back the days and realized something," said Simon.

"What's that," asked Ian, his mind still mostly on the setting sun outside.

"If I'm right, Cullen was killed the night of the fall equinox. I think he had a major ceremony planned, especially if he was in ritual robes and the pentagram area was set up for something."

"I've thought of that," replied Ian, now concentrating on the conversation at hand. "That would have been the day before I flew in from Italy, Friday. Cullen was supposed to pick me up from the airport Saturday afternoon. Three days later I drove up and found Isabelle. Do you have any ideas about what he might have been planning?"

"Not yet. I've got to take a look at the specific set up. Even the slightest variation can mean big changes in the spell. It could have been the equinox or the conjunction of Mars and Jupiter with Earth at about four that morning, or both. I'm hoping I'll find some of his books. They will help clarify the types of things he was interested in."

The silence stretched comfortably between them for a while.

"I think it's time to crash buddy, I've got to get an early start in the morning," said Simon standing up and stretching his long body.

"Yeah," replied Ian a bit absently, following Simon back into the cabin. They had rekindled the fire in the wood stove and the heat in the small room was welcoming. He hadn't realized how chilly it was outside when the sun went down.

Simon stripped down to his boxers, revealing his strongly muscled, golden body, covered with soft looking golden fur. He started arranging his blankets on the couch and then looked up. "Hey," he said. "Where are you sleeping?"

"In Isabelle's room," He felt the heat rise to his face at Simon's questioning look and raised eyebrow. "She has nightmares; I wouldn't get much sleep any other way."

"Better you than me man," he smiled. "Never figured you for the nursing type. Give me a good ole demon possession or ancient grimiour to deal with any day."

Ian missed the long stare and frown that Simon sent after him before settling on the couch turning off the lamp.

Ian left the small bedside table lamp on and crawled into the bed beside Isabelle. He had finally given up trying to sleep in the chair and had simply started sleeping on the other side of the bed, waiting until she had fallen asleep before climbing into bed. He had changed into sweats and a tee and just lay there for a while letting his mind unwind and relax. Isabelle was sleeping quietly and he found himself admiring her profile: small straight nose, full lips, and strong chin. Her lashes were dark fans against her cheeks. It still amazed him that someone could be so fragile and strong all at the same time. She still looked as if a strong wind would blow her away and yet she had had the strength of will to physically and mentally survive for four months in conditions that would destroy almost anyone.

She was healing rapidly and had already begun to put on a bit of weight. It might take some work but mentally she had survived as well. She was also a beauty. Even in her current condition he could see it. Delicate features with fine bone structure were an incredible foundation for her large blue eyes, blue black hair, and flashes of intelligence she had shown him. It bothered him that he had even noticed how pretty she was. The last thing she needed was for anyone to show a sexual interest in her. Closing his eyes he forced himself to think of other things and eventually drifted into sleep.