Sheeple Ch. 05

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Well, I'll be stoppin' by in case those dogs show up. Or, jus call me on da radio," he said as he finally got back in his truck.

"Will do Ronny. Thanks!" Eric and Kate said together.

*

Inside, Eric put the box in the dining room while Kate locked the back door and then started the kettle. They both needed a cup of tea.

"That was a close one. I am just glad he didn't want to see 'Max'."

"I know. We'd better find that collar though. Thinking about it, it may be the only way to tell the good dog from the bad dogs if things go wrong." Eric dug the picture out of the box. Tearing off the envelope, he opened it up as he headed into the kitchen.

Kate looked up to see him intently reading an official looking bit of paper."What is it Eric?"

"It's a not too nice letter telling me to get my ass back to Virginia and the agency or else."

"What?"

"Apparently, the division I was in was reactivated. So this is sort of a recall letter." He handed her the letter.

Kate took it, and after getting over the oddness of seeing Nicholas Olman on it perused the rest of the letter. It was a rather formal demand of his presence. Not a total 'or else' type of missive. Not a warrant or subpoena. Just a really nasty way of getting someone's attention. "What are you going to do Eric?"

"I'm going to call Mike and see what he knows about this. I have to admit that I don't think this is a sanctioned action." Eric moved to his desk in the den.

"I didn't think you ever called Mike, only emailed him."

"Well, I don't have time to wait. I'll call his pager and he will call me." He pulled out his phone and dialed a number.

Kate nodded and left the room to give him some space. Mike knew him from before the name change. Mike knew things about Eric that Kate never would know. Some days she wanted to keep it that way. After reading that letter, she really wanted to keep it that way.

*

Kate went back to finishing up the tea. She started on the dishes when the phone in the den rang. It seemed like an eternity before Eric came back into the kitchen. Eric picked up his tea and sipped at the lukewarm drink.

"Well?"

"He said he'd get back to me."

"It took that long to say that?"

"No, I had to explain a few things, and he gave me some information."

"So, we wait?"

"Yes. I won't go back Kate. This isn't legal. Problem is that it is secret, so people can be manipulated. Bad guys don't play fair. I just have to see what I can do."

"I understand. Or, at least I think I do. Will you dry the dishes while we wait?"

"Not a problem." Eric started digging a dish towel out of the drawer.

*

They were almost done with the dishes when the den phone rang. Eric dropped the cloth on the dish drain and went for the phone. Kate sat down and waited. Eric was back faster than she expected. He sat down next to her and actually had a smile on his face.

"What are you smiling about?"

"Well, Mike found out that these guys are on the agency's shit list. Some rogue general about ten years ago decided he didn't want to give up his little toys. His toys being the bad ass shifters that couldn't pass a psych evaluation with a cheat sheet."

"I take it you weren't one of these."

"No. I was not. In fact, I was already gone from the agency by that point."

"Okay, go on."

"Apparently, I am not the only one being hassled, nor hollering for someone to stop this bunch. In fact, there have been over fifty complaints in just the last month. They have subverted government agencies all over the place in their hunt for more shifters. Including your own oversight committee for shelters in this state."

"Oh, the software! Does that mean it's going to go away?"

"Could be. It was illegal. What will depend on it leaving is the state deciding if it is useful or not. In the meantime, it isn't important. What is is the fact that these guys are out there and the good guys are just now catching on to what's happening."

"So, the calvary has just left the fort and the wagons are circling against the Indians with no support in sight."

"That's about it. We are on our own for probably the next two or three days."

"Oh wonderful. Can't they just call the local police and let then in on it?"

"No, because of the same issues we discussed earlier when you suggested telling James."

"Damn."

"Plus, they don't know if the local cops are in the pay of the bad guys or not."

"That makes sense. However, if the news is rather glum, why were you smiling when you came back in?" she asked.

"Um, well... Mike did a check on you. If you think I'm anal about some things, you need to meet Mike. He had to make sure you weren't a bad guy, and came across a picture of you."

"Oh?"

"He said you were damned cute and that I was one lucky dog." Eric had a smile breaking out across his face.

Kate just rolled her eyes. "I should have know. Only another computer geek could get sidetracked like that. And, make a bad joke in the process."

"Well, he's right. I am one lucky man." Eric stood to take Kate in his arms. Hugging her to him, he kissed her forehead, nose, then lips.

"Dog," Kate said in a whisper.

"Okay. One lucky dog," Eric acquiesced.

*

The phone rang a few more times over the course of the afternoon. Eric would take the call, and then come back and tell Kate of the developments. Most were minor. Some she swore was just the two of them playing with the novelty of actually talking on the phone to one another. The boys called as well. Everyone was having fun out on the farm. Pat's new girlfriend Tammy was busy feeding everyone. Pat, Jon and Andy were also taking turns with the rifle. They were taking potshots at any coyotes that showed their noses. So far the count was six rabbits and one coyote. Jamie was delighted that there would be rabbit for breakfast.

Kate laughed when Eric reported this to her over dinner. They were having left over stir fry from the night before. Kate had used ham in it and of course Jamie had glued the words together in her own special way and turned ham stir-fry into hamster fry.

After supper, Eric took the cayenne pepper and liberally sprinkled it on window frames and doorways. The smell of it burned Kate's nose, and the thought of what it would do to others sniffing it made her smile. They went to bed early and made sure Luna, Gretchen and all the cats were safely inside.

"Eric, is there any chance that they might just go away?"

"No, I don't think so. I figure that they will come. I just hope that it's just one or two and not a whole pack." He snugged close to her in the bed.

"A whole pack? You don't think..."

"No, I hope not. I'm hoping it is just the three jokers that trashed the shelter and delivered the note. They have to know where we are by now. I'm just not sure when they will come."

"You'll remember to grab the collar won't you?" she asked, looking at Max's collar on the night stand.

"Kate..."

"Eric! You know it is the only way anyone is going to be able to tell you from them."

"It will give them a handle."

"Not if you're careful. Besides... if Ronny catches four stray dogs, I'll have hell to pay to get you out of the kennel. And by then, it might be too late. If he throws all of you in the same pen, you're done for," Kate said rather heatedly.

Eric nodded. She was right. Damn it. "Okay. I'll put the collar on, but we have to tape down the tags. I can't have them jingling."

"Fine." Kate reached over and grabbed the collar and pulled out the medical tape she had in her nightstand. She taped the tags down quickly and handed the collar back to Eric. "There. Just don't forget it."

"I won't. Now we need to get some sleep."

"I love you Eric."

"I love you too Sweetie."