All Comments on 'Signs Ch. 02'

by S-Des

Sort by:
  • 59 Comments
AnonymousAnonymousabout 15 years ago
Great

It's a sad tale but at the end you see a glimmer of hope. The hero hasn't given up yet; maybe he has a future after all.

Boyd

AnonymousAnonymousabout 15 years ago
I loved it and hated it

It is a beautifully written story. The ending makes sense but still I hoped against hope for something to change one of their situations.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 15 years ago
OMG

That's really the end here? I really loved this story and all the emotions that ran through it from beginning to end. I know all cant always end as a happily ever after but I don't think I've even wished for that type of ending more that I did when coming onto the 3rd page of this story. Will there be any hope at all in you possibly adding one more to this? These 2 characters seem to both deserve some kind of happily ever after if I ever saw it.

bruce22bruce22about 15 years ago
Excellent Writing

A truly moving and tragic picture..

Harryin VAHarryin VAabout 15 years ago
and?

then what happened?

ohioohioabout 15 years ago
very sad, very well done

I can't say I don't wish it had turned out differently, but it's a story beautifully told. Thanks, ohio

AnonymousAnonymousabout 15 years ago
Good Story...

... but the ending sucked. It definitely needs more or a second story from Hannah's side. I am glad to see a story from you.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 15 years ago
Painful, But Pure

And that IS how we really learn things in life.

rachlourachloualmost 15 years ago
So sad

I wish it could have ended differently. Life really sucks sometimes.

AnonymousAnonymousover 14 years ago
Perfect...

The story line, while unbelievabley sad, was perfect. It had a reality to it, not the specifics, but in its flow and the way you knew where it was going but did not want it to. Like life at times, we are passengers on the ship and not its captain. Well done. M

AnonymousAnonymousover 14 years ago
Yes

this was a nicely composed and stringent story, but it only shows what can occur when you let life happen to you instead of taking an active stance. If it was me I'd try to make the daughter understand, quit the job and get the hell out of Dodge to be at her side and try to make her (and me) happy the best I could or goddamned well die trying. Life is about taking risks, lukewarm comfort means mere existing. This is not romance, that's piteous grievance. Vote for encore.

srgeeksrgeekover 14 years ago
Well written but...

Well written but, exceptionally depressing. I'm sorry I read it!

<P>

<I>-- srgeek --</I>

vietvetvietvetover 14 years ago
Not bad but:

Not good either. Nickmis a fool and you dont take council from fools.Story is not complete. there is no end nor a real beginning. there is only the middle.

ArubanArubanover 14 years ago
Star-crossed Lovers!

Your stories about blackmail, alcohol-drug-and-deception-fueled orgies, and seductive/destructive neighbors were sad too, but ain't it reality that bites hardest? You wonder, though, if they could have kept it up. Pretty intense maybe to have what was described as a mostly sexual relationship, isolated from the rest of their lives and kept fresh by frequent separations. If they'd moved in together, the kids in the next room, a house to be kept up, a mortgage to be paid...

RonRWoodRonRWoodover 12 years ago
I didn't like it

But then I guess I am more the impulsive type. I would have moved to her and found my happiness however long it lasted. Yet, I understand that he is the type he is as well. So I accept your offering...

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 12 years ago
My problem with this story is...

it seems unfinished! It needs the ending!

Does he find a new "dream woman" or do they find a solution to their problem?

Probably my fault as i tend to believe that a story in "Romance" category should have a happy ending and not be left with questions.

ps: love the stories of yours that i've read so far, currently going through the rest in alphabetical order.

NKen

energystarenergystarover 11 years ago
OMG - this was great

Just a wonderful story. What Ohio said. Thanks!

S-DesS-Desover 11 years agoAuthor
Peak behind the curtain....

I don't usually comment on stories, but felt that this one needed it. I never cared about the score (and knew that a Romance story with an unhappy ending was never going to be well received), but for anyone in the future that reads this story and agrees with the commenters who felt it was incomplete or too sad, I'm going to pull back the curtain here.

This story is 100% true (all the way to my friend Nick). It's the story of myself and the only woman I've ever loved (we're talking real, storybook love here). She was my muse for writing, my inspiration for living life with no regrets, and a woman who challenged all my preconceptions of what sex and love looked like. There is no happy ending because the actual events did not end happily. I couldn't possibly cheapen what we had by creating a fake ending to score slightly higher. It is real life, and real life doesn't always go the way you hope it will. Perhaps someday the lessons I learned from her will create a new story with someone else that can end happily (if I'm lucky enough), but for now please understand that I'm sharing something real with the readers....as much to find a way to move on as it is to tell a good story to others. Trust me, no one wishes this could have turned out differently more than myself.

To those who thought that the story reflected only a sexual relationship....I'm sorry but some things are too painful to discuss even under the pretense of a story. All the wild adventures we shared are easier to relate than the daily personal conversations we shared across the distance. Also, I really wanted to relate how her free spirit opened my eyes, but the truth is that everything we did together was merely an extension of what we felt for each other that had nothing to do with sex.

Thanks for listening, and thank you for the continued support for so much of my work. I do it because like you, I enjoy reading stories that make me feel something (good or bad).

.....Des

DawnJDawnJover 11 years ago
Wow! *sigh*

Someone once said, "Giving someone all your love is never an assurance that they'll love you back! Don't expect love in return; Just wait for it to grow in their heart, But if it doesn't, be content it grew in yours."

Another person said, "Love takes hostages. It gets inside you. It eats you out and leaves you crying in the darkness, so simple a phrase like "Maybe we should be just friends" turns into a glass splinter working its way into your heart. It hurts. Not just in the imagination. Not just in the mind.It's a soul-hurt, a real gets-inside-you-and-rips-you-apart pain. But "Don't hate love.”

"Nuff said, I think!

AnonymousAnonymousover 11 years ago
Blessings . . .

. . . to you, Des, both for having the joy and sadness the relationship meant for you, and for sharing it with us.

gatorhermitgatorhermitabout 11 years ago
Sad story. Even sadder with the peak behind the curtains.

Thanks for writing and thanks for the explanation.

lance_spearmanlance_spearmanalmost 11 years ago
Nice story

Reminds me of the saying "It is better to have loved and lost, than never to have loved at all."

tazz317tazz317almost 11 years ago
NOW ITS THE RETURN

to the dating game in the Twilight Zone, TK U MLJ LV NV

dairetodairetoover 10 years ago
:(

Very sad that it didnt end happily

AnonymousAnonymousover 9 years ago
oh...

May very well be the most profoundly romantic story I've ever read.

Desperately sad, but joyous for its truth to true romance, that ideal of love beyond most of our real experiences.

I don't know what breaks my heart more: his loss of something so rare or... or that I've never had it for myself.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 9 years ago
Hey

Thanks for the explanation,I hear you.

timlaudertimlauderabout 9 years ago
Sad

Sad ending! Seems to me it could have turned out so much better, but you sold your soul for a good job in Chicago.

Ib_SaysIb_Saysover 8 years ago
Unfinished

I'm not a fan of leaving things open ended and that's how this feels, and the author attempted creating something bittersweet, but to me it just feels anticlimactic and as if this story was unfinished.

.

"I know she felt it too" That should have been a wake-up call for him to actually find a solution to being with her rather than whining about how impossible things are, or just passively accepting his fate ie. never finding anyone as special as her.

'contended' my arse.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 8 years ago
Sorry

But this story was just fucked up. If I wanted to feel this bad I'd go roll around in poison ivy. It's depressing and there is no ending to the story.

tazz317tazz317over 7 years ago
AFTER HEARING HIS RAP

there is no question WHY he remains Solo. TK U MLJ LV NV

AnonymousAnonymousover 7 years ago
Not a Fan Of Unfinished Stories

Has the makings of a good story, only you have to finish it before it becomes one.

IndyOnIndyOnover 7 years ago
FINISH THE DAMN STORY!

Enough said.

Horseman68Horseman68almost 7 years ago
Hateful Ending: Turning Him Into a Deluded Fool.

Life is short to waste. Jobs come and go, daughters grow up, marry, and have their own families, so he gives up his life soulmate at the story end. He deserves to die alone and miserable. What a hateful story end for you to inflict on your readers.

Horseman68Horseman68almost 7 years ago
Post Script to Comment Below.

Just read all of the comments to the story and learned that it is the story of the author himself. If so, and he did in fact make the decision to for sake his life soulmate for the trivial, then he is indeed ........

JJMemaw0623JJMemaw0623over 6 years ago
To S-Des

I am so very glad you were able to share the soul love you found with us. I was going to originally comment in the negative until I read the other comments. Please know that you can find love again. It will take a while, but in the end, anything worth having is worth working for. I have finally in my fifties found my soulmate. It took us countless divorces between us and countless relationships. What we have now, isn't sexual at all, but we love each other endlessly. Please know my heart weeps for you. Until you find you next love, may your heart be lightened by the telling of your tales.

Blessings . . .

AnonymousAnonymousover 6 years ago
Sorry but no.

""I trusted her fidelity. We saw each other for one weekend a month, but I never doubted for a second that I was the only man in her life. I believed in her so much that I encouraged her to go to strip clubs to get dances by the hottest women she could find. She trusted me so thoroughly that she gave me permission to fool around two different times, as long as I promised I wouldn't fuck the girl. Can you imagine that? Her trusting me to do anything else I wanted, but believing I would stop short of fucking in a room with no witnesses...and you know what? I did."

This is not trust! This is not fidelity! This is having an open marriage. I don't care if none of them were actually fucking someone else, this is all wrong. You have a really fucked up view about what trust and fidelity is if that parragraph is a reflection of your own ideas.

AnonymousAnonymousabout 6 years ago
Years later...

Not sure the author will read this, but did *she* ever read the story? did you ever talk again? it's gut-twistingly bittersweet, but I think if I ever found someone who completed me like that then I don't think I could let go absolutely. I had the very odd fortune of meeting someone who could have been my clone, despite originating from the other side of the world and the opposite sex - a couple of years of literally knowing what the other was thinking and how amazingly liberating that was made me desperately wish for something that complete in romance ( what we had wasn't romantic at all ). If this really was a true story then the apparent end of it should put this into the horror category. That's not loving and losing, that's ripping half your heart out. The end hurt *me*. Damn man, just... wow. I want to go back in time & give you the biggest hug.

If it's not and you're winding us up, then well played sir, it worked on one of us.

To the previous commenter: if that was *their* idea of trust and fidelity, then that's what it was. The sort of stuff they were talking about didn't seem to involve any commitment outside or leading anyone else along so it wouldn't hurt anyone else, so what's the problem if they were happy? because they're not wired like you?

AnonymousAnonymousabout 6 years ago
Priorities

Putting possessions and career before lovers and family...sure, if those are your priorities then have a lonely life. Whine about it...oh wait, there's no one there to hear your whining. Too bad, so sad.

chilleywilleychilleywilleyover 4 years ago
Great story the

The whole story won’t fit in a few pages on LE, but the strength of it is the tragedy of it. The reader can see the wreckage coming, but can’t affect the outcome. Like the horror story where we cry out. ”no! Don’t open the door!”

Well done

flashbigrussianflashbigrussianalmost 4 years ago
Awesome

Awesome love story, hope you continue!!

NitpicNitpicover 3 years ago
Dont

Don't see the point of this nothing story.

MarkT63MarkT63over 3 years ago

Good writing. Not sure of the point?

dgfergiedgfergieover 3 years ago
better to have loved?

I suppose this follows the old axiom, better to have loved and lost rather than never to have loved at all.

AnonymousAnonymousover 3 years ago

Again, when I realized that it ended, I was totally disappointed.

Best job ever? A daughter that spends half her time with an ex-wife?

Stacked against one shot at true love with a soulmate?

No! I didn’t like the end at all.

RanDog025RanDog025over 2 years ago

Great story! Some people just don't get it. I guess my experience in the editing field made me get it, so to speak. Great story. I hope he gives her a call. 5 BIG Stars!

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

To me, this is a pointless story, a nothing story of a loser. I think that Hannah finally realized that her boyfriend was just that: a loser.

The first part got a rating of four from me and I was hoping to get a great ending. It did not happen; my overall rating has thus gone from four to barely two.

AnonymousAnonymousover 2 years ago

CRAP STORY WITH A LOSER MAN JAY

WASTE OF TIME READ

AnonymousAnonymousabout 2 years ago

A good choice made by Hannah…atleast now she has a chance to find a real man…someone who will stand up for his love …not someone who behaves like an accountant weighing all pro and cons of a relationship that there remains no passion anymore! Great job by Hannah but a pointless story! The MC was actually very disgusting !

ker63469ker63469over 1 year ago

I didn't get the ending

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

I feel like I'm missing something. Really engaging and adventurous, but it feels unfinished.

AnonymousAnonymousover 1 year ago

What a mess. The ending could have been fixed. After seeing her look on thr video, just pick up, head down to her and declare his undying love, promise to quit his job, and propose to her. It is what she wants. Idiot! He can still visit to see his daughter. Lunacy.

ker63469ker63469about 1 year ago

The Endo f was just WRONG. This could have been so much better

AnonymousAnonymous10 months ago

The story was pretty good, but I didn't care much for the ending. It was unclear and, for me, unfulfilling. Thank you for sharing your writing with us.

AnonymousAnonymous7 months ago

The story was good but the ending was a bit convoluted. Yes Hanna had problems about shifting to Chicago; yes Jay had problems about shifting to Dallas. But what if either of their employers were to transfer them to say, LA, would, or rather could, they have refused? Inspite of the children? They would just have pulled the child/children out of the schools and admitted them to a new school in LA. Millions of people are doing that all over the world. And fuck the two ex's. No court will stop such a transfer. Believe me, I'm a lawyer. The exs will just have to come to the new city to meet the children if they wish to. That's their hard luck for losing the custody battle. So you should have studied up better before you wrote up the ending, fucking up a beautiful relationship.

AnonymousAnonymous7 months ago

WFT means this "ending"?

AnonymousAnonymous7 months ago

I don't know if this relationship was what is described as 'soulmates, completing each other whole..." or possibly a mutual delusion of two desperate lonely people. If only they have the courage and confidence to have faith, then they wouldn't have the insecurities that eat at them and exhaust their minds and bodies. Would it take a great sacrifice to stop kicking themselves and get out of their depressive rut? (A Miracle?) Or years of regret and loneliness?

AnonymousAnonymous3 months ago

What a terribly sad story. If either of them has primary custody of their children then surely they could have made it work. It would have been an awful fight with their ex's but worth it I the long run. I can appreciate how the story finished as it is a lind of ending implying that neither would have the other to love but I wish you had written part 3 to give a more complete ending. Maybe this is their end and their lives were destined to be separated and incomplete. As I said a very sad story. BardnotBard

S-DesS-Des3 months agoAuthor

Just revisiting this story after many years. For those who didn't see or believe the earlier comments, yeah....it was totally true (a few details changed, but otherwise 100%). To those that called me out for letting her go, I guess you had to be there to see how difficult it would be to make the situation work and at some point her feelings did change which made salvaging the relationship impossible anyway. There were complications I couldn't mention (health problems of the kids, etc....) that really did make things insanely complicated. But it was especially tough to read a few comments that called it out perfectly. After sacrificing everything to give time to my child (which I'd do again in a heartbeat), at 16 she simply decided to stop talking to me. It was pretty devastating and took me years to deal with.

But things do work out (mostly) and "Hannah" found someone who lived close, made her feel complete, and loved her kids the way they deserved. I met someone very special as well (in a land far far away full of tropical beaches and kind people) and inherited a step-daughter who adores me and the birth of a beautiful son far later than I ever imagined in my wildest dreams. Going to retire early, play my guitars, enjoy wild passionate lives with my delightfully younger wife, and make sure I treasure every moment with my family. It's not what I had with "Hannah", but it's special in it's own way (and I'm always working on convincing J to embrace the wild side of life I was shown by a spectacular and loving woman whose memory I wouldn't trade for anything.

Thanks to all of you for reading my stories, making comments or votes, and your well wishes. Hopefully one day I'll get back to writing because I do have some stories! Until then, be well and never give up on your happiness, no matter what form it takes.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous