Soul's Divide Ch. 02-04

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"Brutal, huh?" Stan said. He sounded almost excited and not the least bit disturbed. This must be a typical day for him, working in this division of the Organization.

"Did we get this from the cops?" Gabrielle asked, unable to tear her eyes away from the gruesome sight in front of her.

"No, we actually got this one before the cops did," Roberts answered her.

Gabrielle shook her head and was finally able to look away. She looked up into Roberts' eyes. "You really want me to get Echoes off of this?" she asked, softly.

Roberts nodded, his eyes solemn. "We need to know what's out there. There should be enough residue left behind."

Gabrielle knew what he meant. She could feel the remnants of the magical energy left in the wounds. She could feel a slight vibration, a ringing in her ears, and a tingling in her fingers. "What kind of being uses magic to cause wounds like these?"

"Were-beasts?" Stan suggested.

Gabrielle shook her head. "No, were-beasts don't kill humans. It has to be something else."

Stan shrugged and, incredibly, blew a bubble of gum. Gabrielle suppressed an urge to throttle him. "What do you think, Roberts?"

"I think you're delaying the inevitable," he replied, kindly.

Gabrielle sighed but accepted the truth of his statement. She edged closer to the remains of the female body. "Do we have a name for her?"

"According to a purse found at the site, her name is Jody Moore," Roberts replied.

"I need to go see the scene of the crime."

"After," Roberts insisted. He was a kind man but could be relentless sometimes.

I guess there's no more delaying it, Gabrielle thought. She squared her shoulders and reached out to the body. She touched the nearest wound and swiped a small bit of congealed blood with the tip of her finger.

She closed her eyes and reached down into the pit of her stomach and opened herself to the flames. Sweet, pure magical energy spiraled out from her center and filled her being. She rubbed her fingertip against her thumb and concentrated her will on the blood. She put aside her loathing, her fear, her doubt. She tuned out all distractions and focused every ounce of her will, drawing the magic in her body toward the blood on her finger.

She felt her head jerk back as the magic pulled her consciousness into the residual life force contained in the blood. Scattered, chaotic images flashed in her mind's eyes. Echoes, this gift was called, and for good reason. She saw echoes of the life of poor Jody Moore.

She saw a little girl holding her baby brother for the first time. She saw a beautiful and young Jody graduating from high school and from college. She saw Jody gazing into the eyes of the man she knew she was going to marry. She saw that wedding and how handsome her new husband looked to her.

All the important life events in Jody's life, the powerful memories that lingered in her very blood, in her life-force, flashed through Gabrielle's mind. And then the most important moment of Jody's life hit Gabrielle with the force of a freight train.

The moment when she died.

Gabrielle cried out as Jody, who was simply walking to her car late at night, was attacked from behind. Jody screamed and screamed as razor-sharp claws came at her from seemingly every direction. She howled as jaws clamped down on her shoulder like the jaws of life and shattered her collar bone.

Gabrielle tried desperately to get a good look at the attacker but could only see what Jody saw. Dark claws, sharp teeth. Claws that were as long and thick as daggers. Unending pain as she was clawed and bitten and disemboweled.

And just before the eternal darkness descended, she saw a glimpse of the demon that killed her. And it then nothing. Gabrielle gasped and shuddered as the Echoes faded, leaving only the emptiness that death leaves behind.

Roberts was by her side. He grabbed her by the shoulder and turned her away from the body, from Stan. He walked her down the morgue. "Are you ok?" he whispered.

Gabrielle stopped and leaned her head against his shoulder. "No," she said, simply. The memories were fading. They weren't hers and she was glad to see them go.

After several minutes, Roberts stepped away from her. "What did you see?"

Gabrielle shook her head. "It was just a glimpse. I...can't say for sure."

But deep in her heart, she was afraid.