Stacked Deck Ch. 02

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

He disappeared until the late 1800's, where he had joined up with a Lycan (see photos and entries for were-wolf, lupine and Garou) by the name of Devon Walker and founded the band of outlaws "the Twilight Stalkers." It was here that he adopted the name of Jamus Phantym. Shot and left for dead in a bar brawl over a woman; he was taken in by a Gangrel by the name of Damien McCready and given the blood bond that changed his Tribe status. It was this weakened condition that gave the distinguishing feature of a white streak of hair at his right temple, a sign of his true age. (See file photo #1204)

Thought to be deceased until he re-emerged in 1986. He took odd jobs and drifted from town to town in the mid-west.

On August 19, 1996 he disappeared from his job as a Black Jack dealer in Reno, Nevada. Rumors have circulated that he'd received a letter from his half-brother Jacob, requesting that he come to South Cape Island. The contents of the letter or its existence are unconfirmed, believed to be destroyed in a suspicious apartment fire. His half-brother was believed to have been murdered shortly after. (Disproved in 2001)

He arrived three weeks later in South Cape. Taking over Jacob's business, "Phantym's Place", an upscale nightclub. He remodeled the building into a blues bar and opened up "DarkWalk Investigations" in the back room of the club. It was at this time that he grew very close to his sister-in-law, Nikasha Phantym (CLASSIFIED-UNSTABLE. See files)

Current Status: Confirmed. Still resides on South Cape Island.

"It's all lies ya know," came the quiet voice.

Tom snapped his attention toward the front door and nearly jumped out of his skin as he saw Jamus standing with his arms crossed, leaning casually on the doorframe.

Jamus took a step inside. "If those clowns at "the Society" knew the half of it, we'd all be in trouble."

Tom looked puzzled for a moment. "I'd prefer it if you knocked." He set the files aside and got to his feet, his knees protesting vociferously. He limped over to the door, as circulation returned painfully to his legs, and peered cautiously around Jamus and through the open doorway.

"You look like hell. Come on in."

The vampire nodded in Mouse's direction with concern in his icy blue eyes. "How's she doing?" he whispered.

Stuffing his hands in his pockets, Tom cocked his head aside. "I was scared shitless," he conceded. "But I think she's gonna be fine."

"Well, her kinddoestend to heal fast," Jamus murmured and ushered Tom to the kitchen.

Tom leaned with his back to the counter, his confusion obvious. "Herkind?"

Jamus chuckled lightly. "You still haven't figured it out, yet?" He draped his arm over Thomas' shoulder. "She's Bastet, little buddy."

"A Bastet?" Tom echoed. And then, the meaning of the word suddenly dawned on him. "Awere-cat? Lord and Lady...is there no one in this town who'snormal?" He scratched pensively at the stubble on his chin. "Ah, no small wonder then. It's one of the natural charms of her Tribe..."

"Huh?" Jamus chortled, as he looked Tom straight in the eye. "What are you babbling about?" He turned and gazed distractedly into the sink full of soaking towels.

Tom shook his head absently, "It's nothing...just putting pieces together."Or rather, whyI'm feeling this attraction to her so strongly. It's anaturaljinx.

Jamus shook his head with a smile, "I'm gonna go...I need to rest a bit." He wandered back toward the door. "I'll see you at the office after dusk? We need to discuss some things."

Tom nodded in agreement, as he watched his new friend shuffle doggedly toward the door. "I'll see you then. Stay safe."

After Jamus quietly shut the door, Tom secured the bolts. He turned and leaned against the door, hands stuffed deep into his pockets. He stared toward the couch and shrugged. "Go figure."

The ferry's horn blared out its intentions and Tom made a mad dash for the docks. He didn't feel like waiting for the next one and he certainly wasn't going to take the public bus system to the mainland, a thought that made him shudder with distaste. Besides, in the time it would take by bus; he could hit the libraryandget his "special" supplies. The fact that it was also a gorgeous morning was just an added bonus. He had trouble reconciling this breezy morning with the storm and a deadly fight of the night before. Hastily, he paid for the ticket, took his change and trotted off to the gangplank.

Once aboard, he wandered about for a few moments taking casual note of his fellow travelers. There was the balding, techno savvy businessman with the blue tooth in his ear; who stared blankly at his blackberry, having still not learned all of its intricacies. Two seats over, there was that frail old lady with the mustache, thicker than most men's. Across from her, sat the young woman whose arms were covered in classic oriental tattoos and bangles; Her shirt stated proudly that "Of course it hurts, pussy".

Tom leaned across the railing and watched as a pod of dolphin held a race with the seagulls and the ferry. The ferry was obviously going to come in last place. He steadied himself as the ferry pulled into the mainland port and tied off. He ambled into the line and disembarked as they all milled into the busy streets. Tom took a quick sidelong glance that confirmed what he had already suspected.

He was being followed by the lupine known as Devon Walker.

Jamus' head had just hit the pillow a scant 15 minutes earlier when the phone rang. The answering machine would get it, but still he cursed at himself for having not turned off the ringer. Again. He rolled over and screamed into the pillow in frustration.

"Jamus...are you home yet? Pick up the phone," said the shaky voice on the other end. "Listen, um...this is Nik. I've been trying to reach you all night...it's St. Dior...he's gone missing."

He launched out of the bed and ran for the phone, nearly dropping it as he fumbled with the receiver.

"Whoa, hey Nikki I'm here. I'm here," he said quickly. "What was that you were saying?"

"Oh thank the gods, Jamie. I was so worried, " she breathed frantically into the phone. "I'd heard a rumor that you were at Barrett's when the brawl went down and that you were dead. And later, that you were arrested again. What the hell is going on Jamie?"

"Never mind me," he cut her off. "What's this about St. Dior?"

"Diego's disappeared," she said breathlessly. "A tarot card was found in the drawing room of his estate. No witnesses, but the guards are all reported to be groggy. As if they were stunned or something."

"Nikki, listen to me," he said forcefully. "No arguments. I want you to get yourself out of town...now. Pack up some essentials and get your ass up to Windstone. Be with Jesse. Let him protect you."

She started to protest. But, he cut her off once more. "I can't afford to be worrying about you, too. The ship is about to hit the span. And I have to know that you are safe."

She vowed that she would and he could still hear her muttering maliciously just before the click as she hung up the phone.

The electronic bell chimed deafeningly as Tom stepped into the veterinary clinic and shifted the bags in his hands. While he'd only been coming to this office for a few months now to pick up food for Yumi, he knew the staff pretty well and was very pleased with the service.

Today, there was a new assistant working and she seemed to him like a character in a comic book; very tan, with long blonde dreads pulled back in a loose ponytail, a hemp and bead necklace peeking out over her brown smock. On her right inner forearm was a tattoo representing the tree of life and her nails were painted in a dark brown. He found himself curious as to what the half concealed red t-shirt would have written on it's front.

He chuckled to himself as he reflected on his earlier conversation with Jamus.

Out of curiosity he scanned her aura and found that she was in factnormal. She was a very earthy neo-hippie, but normal. Thank the gods.

Stepping up toward the front, he bent low and grabbed a bag of prescription food and set it on the counter.

She smiled at him sweetly and asked the name of the pet and last name of the owner. "Hmmm...let me see...Ballentine...Yumi...Ah, here we go. That'll be $15.96."

He reached into his back pocket and pulled a twenty from his wallet. "Here you go. Oh, and when is she due for her annuals?"

"Okay, still have...3 months on that. Will that be all today?" she said with a flirtatious smile as she returned his change.

Tom nodded and straightened the bills, facing them all the same way, before stuffing them into his wallet. "See you in a few weeks, " he sang out, oblivious to the way her eyes were drinking him in.

Stopping at the door under the guise of stuffing the cat food into one of his bags, he sent hisfeelersout to sense the were-wolf's location. He could sense the malice and the general direction, but the distance was much harder to pinpoint.

Nikasha Phantym grabbed a pile of clothes from the wardrobe and stuffed them inelegantly into Jesse's old duffel bag. She stopped as she came upon one of his dress shirts that he'd left behind. She pulled it close and held it to her cheek, his scent wafting around he like a ghost. She bit her bottom lip and carefully folded the shirt, setting it atop the rest.

Jamus had sounded frightened. That was a sound that he would never utter. Ever. And, while she fought with herself over staying and helping or running up north to be with her spouse, that was a sound that she would heed well. She zipped up the bag and slung it over her shoulder.

As her hand grasped the knob there was a knock at the door. She peered cautiously through the peephole and smiled.

"Oh...it's you, " she said delightedly.

From the rooftop of "Fred's Big & Tall," Devon glared across the street at the lanky young man coming out of the Vet's office. He'd been tracking him for hours now as he went from store to store.

If this guy is supposed to be so goddamned powerful, then why does he not seem know that I'm following him? I'm pretty sure that look on the ferry was one of recognition. And... I'm pretty sure he's connected to Jamie. Outside assistance maybe?

Devon rubbed his temples in frustration. He hadn't eaten since that truck stop in the Florida Panhandle yesterday. He hadn't slept in nearly a week. And, to top it all off he was missing a few pints of blood, thanks to Jamie's handy work with that knife.

Dammit! I never meant to have another face-off against you, Jamie. I thought all that was put behind us.

He turned again toward the street below and a shiver of panic flared up his spine. His quarry had given him the slip.

Oh, you are good at this aren't you? Not to worry...I know where you live.

12