Star Trek: Lineage Ch. 03

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Casana breathed out, opening her eyes. "Sir, I escorted Crewman Black down here, and told him that I heard a noise inside the bay."

"And did you?"

"No, sir. I wanted to get him alone," she confessed, looking at the ground.

"Priority message from Trill for Ensign Olan," said a voice over the intercom. Casana looked silently at Sahar, and the two women stared at each other for a few moments. "Ensign Olan, please acknowledge."

"Sahar?" she asked softly. Sahar stared back at her coldly, but nodded. "Acknowledged," Casana said as she hurried over to the communication console on the wall. She pulled up the message and read it.

"I have to go," she said excitedly, and ran out of the room.

"What the hell?" exclaimed Zula.

"I am not done with you yet, Crewman," Sahar snarled at Black as he finished putting his pants on. "You're on patrol. Dismissed." As he skulked out the door, Suvak pushed past him.

"Lieutenant, we have detected anomalous activity from the Torpedo Loading Control Console. I have been sent to examine the console for a malfunction."

******

Exobiology Labs, Deck 14, 1210 hours

Casana sat down at her work station, tears still wet on her cheeks. She accessed her personal communications and opened the message. It was marked "From: Symbiosis Commission".

"Oh, great," she sighed. Then she read the subject: "Evaluation by Field Docent".

"Yes!" she cried in joy. "Yes, finally!"

"Casana, are you alright?" Dr. Collins asked with concern as she entered the room.

"Hell, yes! I just got a message from the commission, and they are sending someone to evaluate me!"

"Evaluate you? For what?"

Casana remembered that Dr. Collins knew nothing about the Joining. "A... special honor. It is only given to a select few people."

"That's wonderful!" Dr. Collins said, patting her on the shoulder. "When?"

She scanned the letter. "Wow. Tomorrow. They must be close, and it must be urgent if... oh, shit," Casana's heart sunk as she read the last line.

"What's wrong?"

"It's who they're sending. Ambassador Curzon Dax."

******

Armory, Deck 19, 1600 hours

Sahar paced back and forth in front of her locker, a scowl across her face. I am going to fucking kill him, she thought coldly. She was in her off-duty uniform, waiting for Black to report. Abandoning his post, allowing access to a restricted area. Fucking Casana. Her blood boiled when she remembered the image of the two of the on the console, half naked, sweating, pawing at each other.

Sahar had accepted that Casana and Black were having sex, but to be so publicly ambushed by it was unbearable. She had always been proud of her self-control, but it was being severely tested. Her first instinct when she saw them together was to run away crying, but that was quickly replaced by fury. It was as though it had been planned.

The thought gave Sahar pause. It was as though they had planned it, like they had designed it to inflict the maximum amount of pain on Sahar. Did they? she wondered. Did they do this to hurt me? She couldn't decide. Did they know how Sahar felt, and decide to humiliate her for it? It was certainly a possibility. Casana, at least, had to have known how she felt.

Slut, she thought. At first, she chastised herself for thinking it. But it wouldn't go away. Fucking whore. The more she thought it, the angrier she became, and the more it seemed right. Worthless bitch. Her hatred began to shift. Now, she blamed Casana instead of Black. Sahar lashed out, punching the bulkhead. She heard a crack, but ignored the pain that shot through her hand.

Suddenly, there was a pinching sensation on her shoulder, and she blacked out.

******

Crew Quarters, 2100 hours

Casana sat on her bunk, swinging her feet off the edge, staring blankly at the door. I'm screwed, she thought. Dax. It had to be Dax. She had worked her entire life to qualify for the Joining, and now it seemed farther away than ever. Dax. Dax never passes anybody. Despair began to overtake her. He's going to humiliate me. Assuming Sahar doesn't kill me. Oh, god. Sahar. She remembered the look on Sahar's face when she saw her with Black. Once again, tears began to well up in her eyes.

She held her face in her hands and sobbed softly. Stupid, she thought. How could I be so stupid? Casana was sure that Sahar had finished eviscerating Black by now, and was waiting for her to return to their quarters. Casana planned to beg forgiveness from Sahar, and try to salvage their friendship. She was not optimistic.

Casana was sufficiently distracted that she did not notice Danny enter the room. He walked slowly up to her, placing his hands on her knees comfortingly. Casana looked up tearfully into his eyes. "Hey, how ya doing?" he asked softly.

"How does it look?" Casana sobbed.

"Like hell. Come on, you need to sit somewhere where you won't fall," he said, pulling Casana down from the bunk. Danny guided her over to the table, coaxing her onto the couch-seats. He walked around the table and took a seat next to her. "It's okay," he said softly, wrapping his arms around her comfortingly.

"No. No, it's not okay," she whispered.

"What happened?"

"Jeff came to see me in the lab today," she said, struggling to form the words. "We talked for a bit, then he had to go back to his post. I offered to walk him down."

"What did you talk about?"

"Sahar. Jeff said that she likes me."

"Well, of course she does. You two are friends," he said, slowly rubbing her back. Casana was silent. "That's not what you meant, is it?" She shook her head. "I see. So, you walked him down to his post. Then what?"

"When we got there, I told him I heard something in the torpedo bay, and he went to check it out. And I went with him."

"Isn't that a restricted are?" Casana nodded.

"When we got inside, I kissed him, and..."

"And you had sex?"

"Yes. Well, we tried. Sahar and Zula walked in right in the middle of it!" she cried, starting to sob uncontrollably again.

"It's okay. Take your time," he said, rocking her back and forth.

"Sahar started screaming at Jeff. She was furious. I tried to calm her down, but then she started yelling at me!" she said, squeezing Danny tightly.

"What did she say?"

"I called her Harry, and she yelled at me."

"She always does that."

"No!" she cried insistently. "She always says 'Don't call me Harry'. She screamed at me. She said 'You will address me as Lieutenant Tehrani or sir'. She wouldn't let me call her by her first name!" Casana bawled.

"I'm so sorry," Danny said.

"Then, she goes off on Jeff for a few minutes, and the she turns to me and starts to yell when the announcement came."

"About your message?"

"Yeah."

"At least that saved you," Danny tried to console her.

"No, it made it worse," she said pitifully.

"Why? What did it say?"

"You know that thing I have been trying to get?"

"That award thing?"

"Yeah. Well, the commission that awards it is sending someone to evaluate me."

"That's great, Casana!" he cried.

"No! The person they are sending is horrible! He never recommends anyone. Everyone he evaluates gets rejected."

"You aren't going to get rejected."

"How do you know?" she asked, looking up at him.

"Nobody can reject you. Not this evaluator, not Sahar. You'll see."

******

Deck 7, Main Sickbay, 0500 Hours

"Oww," Sahar moaned.

"Lieutenant, your 'patient' is coming around." The voice caused a throbbing pain in her head. Sahar opened her eyes, but the light was so bright that she shut them again immediately.

"Thank you, doctor," said a soft, even voice. Sahar immediately recognized it.

"Suvak?" she asked groggily.

"Yes, Lieutenant?"

"What the hell happened?" Sahar asked. She tried to sit up, but was pushed pack down by a small, powerful hand.

"You need to rest. You fractured your wrist, and recovery from a Vulcan nerve pinch requires some time," she answered.

"A nerve pinch? Who pinched me?"

"I did," Suvak responded. "Open your eyes."

"What?" Suvak pulled open Sahar's right eye and shined a light into it. Sahar tried to bat her hand away, but Suvak calmly stopped her. "You knocked me out?"

"That is correct," Suvak said. In anger, Sahar opened her eyes and tried to sit up, but was again pressed back into the bed. "Remain on the bed."

"Why the hell did you do that?" Sahar said angrily.

"It is important for you to remain still while your central nervous system recovers."

"No, why did you pinch me?"

"To incapacitate you without causing permanent injury," Suvak answered, as though it were obvious.

"Why would you do that?" Sahar yelled. It was loud enough that it hurt her head, causing her to wince.

"I was concerned with your reaction to discovering Crewman Black and Lieutenant Olan mid-coitus."

"He left his post, permitted unauthorized access to a secure area, and, uhh... something else, too," Sahar groaned, trying to stop the pain in her head.

"Carried his weapon in a non-regulation manner."

"I've never heard it called that," Sahar said mockingly.

"All of them relatively minor offences. The absolute maximum punishment allowed by regulation is a letter of reprimand and five days in the brig."

"He endangered the ship!"

"And Lieutenant Olan?"

"What about her?" Sahar snarled back.

"What regulations did she violate?" Sahar thought for a minute.

"Unauthorized entry into a secure area," she finally answered.

"You are incorrect. Lieutenant Olan did enter a restricted area, but did so at the request of a Security Officer, and was escorted at all times."

"They were fucking on the Photon Torpedo Loading Console!"

"They have acquired authorization for non-reproductive interspecies relations."

"So?" Sahar asked, finally able to open her eyes. Suvak was standing over her, arms crossed.

"Lieutenant Olan did not violate any regulations, nor did she mislead you or anyone else. You have no logically valid reason to hold ill feelings towards her."

"You are giving me emotional advice?" Sahar asked skeptically, slowly sitting up. This time, Suvak did not stop her.

"No. I am providing you with a logical, objective analysis of your situation."

"Gee, thanks."

"Also, you have been ordered to report to the Armory. A dignitary is arriving in three hours, and you have been assigned to his security detail."

"Great," Sahar moaned, standing up.

******

Deck 32, Main Shuttlebay, 0750 hours

As she went through the door, Casana found herself face to face with a tall, middle-aged man. She snapped to attention. "Ens... Lieutenant Olan, reporting, Captain," she said, fumbling over the words.

"Nice of you to join us Lieutenant. At ease," said Captain Lowe, before turning to face the landing pad. Casana quickly looked around the room. Black and Sedaris were at the door, standing at attention. Danny was at the tractor beam controls on one side of the room, flanked by Zula and Sahar. In front of the console, Captain Lowe stood with Commander Sull, the Andorian First Officer, on one side and Lieutenant Commander Fuller on the other. Off to the side, a Yeoman stood in full dress, holding a Boatswain's whistle. Aside from Danny, everyone in the room was in dress uniform.

"Sir, K-7 reports that Ambassador Dax is ready to come aboard," said Danny.

"Clearance granted," ordered the Captain. Here we go, Casana thought as she took a deep breath.

She bay doors slid open slowly, revealing a large shuttle slowly gliding towards them, silhouettes against the stars. The shuttle slid into the bay and turned completely around before coming to a rest in front of them. The aft ramp on the shuttle lowered, revealing the Ambassador. He looked slightly older than Captain Lowe, with greying brown hair, just starting to recede. He wore a long, flowing white robe, with numerous decorations and medals. He stepped off the shuttle with a powerful confident stride and extended his hand to Captain Lowe. The Yeoman sounded his whistle, and the Captain shook the Ambassador's hand. "Welcome to the Athena, Ambassador."

"Thank you, Captain," he said in a strong, powerful voice, smiling diplomatically. "I apologize for the short notice, but this is a matter of some urgency."

"You wouldn't be willing to elaborate, would you?" the Captain asked.

"I'm afraid not, but rest assured, it is of great importance."

"Very well. Take all the time you need. We aren't scheduled to depart for another few days," Lowe said graciously.

"Thank you, Captain," said Dax, still smiling.

"Allow me to introduce my First Officer, Commander Sull," said Lowe as the two exchanged greetings. "And this is Lieutenant Commander Fuller, my Chief of Security."

"I have already assigned a protection detail for you, Ambassador," Fuller said, extending his hand.

"Oh, that won't be necessary," Dax smiled as he took it.

"I'm afraid I must insist, sir," Fuller said firmly. Dax looked at him for a moment.

"Very well, but I will need some privacy," he relented.

"Of course. This is Lieutenant Tehrani," he said, introducing Sahar. "She will be in charge of your protection detail," Fuller said as she extended her hand.

"It's a pleasure, Ambassador," Sahar said.

"Let's hope so," Dax smiled slyly. Casana rolled her eyes. Curzon Dax was notoriously libidinous.

"These are Chief Petty Officer Sedaris and Crewman Black," she said, gesturing towards them. "They will be your security detail along with Senior Chief Petty Officer Zula and myse-"

"Zula?" Dax gasped, turning to her. "Asamillia Zula, is that you?" he said clasping his hands onto Zula's shoulders.

"It's me, Curzon. I'm here to make sure you don't cause any trouble."

"I have no idea what you mean," replied Dax innocently.

"Uh huh," Zula said admonishingly. "I remember Rio."

"That wasn't me. It was Kirk's fault. I never said a word to the dancers," Dax said, raising his hands.

"Right. I'm watching you," she smiled warmly. "It's good to see you again."

"Good to see you, Asamillia," he said before turning to face Casana. His face turned serious. "That means you must be her," he said coldly.

"Ambassador Dax, allow me to introduce Lieutenant Casana Olan," the Captain said as Casana snapped to attention.

"Yes, I recognized her from the file. Interesting. Hello, Lieutenant," he said, clasping his hands behind his back.

"Hello, Ambassador," replied Casana nervously.

"Well, Captain, if there is nothing else, I would like to get started."

"Of course, Ambassador. Lieutenant Tehrani, show Ambassador Dax to his quarters."

"Aye, sir. This way, Ambassador," Sahar said, heading towards the door. She stopped in front of Black and Sedaris. "Suit up and report to the Ambassadorial Suite."

"Aye, sir," answered Sedaris. As Sahar continued out of the room, she noticed Zula give Black a menacing stare.

******

Deck 9, Ambassadorial Suite, 0830 hours

"Your quarters are through here, sir," Sahar said, opening the door for Dax. He had been staring at Casana since they left the Main Transporter Room, and it was making Sahar uncomfortable. Though she was still furious at Casana, she did not appreciate having a stranger harass a member of her crew, Ambassador or not. "The head is through that door, and the bedchambers and a study through the door on the far side of the room."

"Thank you, Lieutenant, I am sure I will enjoy my say," Curzon smiled suspiciously at her. "Now, if would please allow us some privacy."

"Of course, Ambassador. There will be guards stationed at the door at all times. If you need anything, please feel free to ask. Should you wish to leave these quarters, the guards will escort you, and this room will be sealed," she said moving towards the door. "Is there anything else I can do for you?"

"Could you have a grilled cheese sandwich and a bottle on tranya sent up?"

"Of course, sir," Sahar said. Before she turned to leave she glanced at a very nervous Casana. Judging by her eyes, she did not want Sahar to leave. They looked at each other for a fraction of a second before Sahar left, but it was enough for Curzon to notice. Sahar stepped out and took her post next to Zula. "I don't like this," she said. Zula did not respond.

Inside the suite, Curzon turned to Casana, his expression serious. "Initiate, I have been assigned by the Trill Symbiosis Commission as your field docent. I am here to evaluate your suitability as a host, after which I will make my recommendation to the Commission. They will then either approve you as a host, in which case you will be joined as soon as a suitable symbiont is available, or they will reject your request, and you will be removed the ranks of candidate hosts. Do you understand what I have just told you, and do you submit to my evaluation?"

"Yes, Ambassador," Casana answered, trying to sound confident.

"Then let's begin," he said as he took a seat behind the large desk. Casana sat in the chair in front of him. Curzon folded his hands in his lap and leaned back in the chair, staring silently at Casana. For a few seconds the room was silent. Casana became increasingly nervous. She desperately wanted to speak, but had no idea what to say.

"What do you want to know?" she squeaked out after a few seconds.

"That didn't take long," Dax muttered under his breath as he leaned forward, clasping his hands together on the desk. "Lieutenant Tehrani," he said, staring at the door behind Casana. "You two seem to be close. Is she a friend?"

"She's quartered with me, sir," Casana replied quietly.

"That's not what I asked. Is she your friend?" he said, raising his voice.

"I think so. She was, but... I don't know. I think so."

"Why would she no longer be your friend?" Curzon asked, still looking at the door.

"We had... a problem. I think I hurt her."

"Why?" His tone was sharp and critical.

"Well, I'm in relationship with Crewman Black, and-" Casana began.

"No, why did you hurt her?"

"I didn't mean to!" Casana said defensively.

"What kind of friend would stop being a friend over an accident?"

"It wasn't an accident, I just-"

"So you did mean to? Which was it?" Dax demanded.

"I was with Jeff, Crewman Black, and Sahar walked in on us. I meant to be with Jeff, I didn't mean for Sahar to see us."

"And when did this happen?"

"Yesterday, while we were on duty. In the Main Torpedo Bay," she admitted, looking at the floor.

"So, you seduced a Security Officer into leaving his post, so you could have sex in a restricted area?"

"That's not all," Casana whispered. "Sahar, she likes... she's in love with... with me."

"So, knowing she had feelings for you," he yelled, "you seduced one of her subordinates into having sex with you, thereby undermining her command, in a restricted are, committing a breach of security in her area of responsibility, and in an area where she was certain to find you in the act with him? I can't imagine why she would be upset," Curzon said sarcastically.

"I didn't think about that," she pleaded.

"Well you damn well should have," he said, raising his voice again. "How can you possibly expect me to recommend you when your behavior is so abysmally stupid?"

"It was a mistake!" she yelled. Curzon looked silently at her for a few minutes. Casana knew she had made a mistake. I'm screwed. Dax appeared to be thinking, but she couldn't figure out what he was thinking about.

"Tomorrow, I will follow you through your duty shift, observing your behavior and speaking to those you work with."

"Yes, sir," Casana said quietly.

"Now, let's go over your service record."

******

Deck 14 Exobiology Lab, 0800 hours

Casana took a deep breath and glanced at Sahar. She was standing by the door, facing the wall with an angry expression on her face. Casana sighed and stepped into the lab. Curzon was standing with his back to her, his hands clasped behind his back, talking with Dr. Collins.