All Comments on 'Stepping Out'

by MartinFaust

Sort by:
  • 18 Comments
WyldcardWyldcardover 8 years ago

So both parties were planning to step out, Lori apologizes to her husband because she lied to him to help their friend step out. In the end, people can screw up and it can get progressively worse. The idea of reaching a breaking point and being saved by chance is what many a tale is based on. That said, you'd have to worry about Lori as a friend in the future, for just jumping in and helping to potentially kill a marriage, as opposed to her husband giving advice on fixing things.

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
How many times?

How many times has she cheated on him?

imhaplessimhaplessover 8 years ago
If you lie Pina Colatas;

Getting caught in the rain....

Predictable but well executed.

palewriterpalewriterover 8 years ago
I'll bet she was into health food

and together they have half a brain

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
How many times had she played this game?

He never asked her. This was kinda obvious but none the less not a bad little story. At least there weren't any cuckolds in sight, although it was plain as day that they both were prepared to cheat on their spouse. Seems unlikely that they would have magically fallen into the cheating game with each other on a random web site. I'm surprised he wasn't busily hiding money in preparation for the coming divorce.

mike9698mike9698over 8 years ago
wow what an original story

what a twist at the end. i never in a million years wouldve thought that could happen. just in case anyone is really stupid this is called sarcasm.

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
I kinda saw that coming, but loved every minute of it, nonetheless....

.....it will be difficult to follow this with something as good....

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
well

Alls well that ends well, nice writing.

AnonymousAnonymousover 8 years ago
they can go on and on about originality......

and sadly. still be almost a little right.

BUT.....BUT.......BUT, I say........

There are so few original ideas that fit the theme of this format, that one simply DOESN'T have to do original.....

IF....., IF....., I say, (and it's a BIG OLE IFFF!!!)

If it is well executed, well written, and passes most of the grammar tests.

Sure, I can think of a few, OK well, maybe I remember reading like four or five versions of the Pina Colada Song in story format here. And this is like over the last 2-3 years. I think may be quite a few more reside in the archives, found only with the help of the random story spinner. But to my memory, I think that this is the best version of it that I have read. And why?

Adequate Character Development and Passable Dialogue!!!!!!

Even Dana, who sadly is kinda like a minor character, has a decent amout of character development revealed to the reader. I really like the path of HIS thoughts leading up to the cheating. And the hints you gave, (use of the wig, use of friends name for the room, etc.) weren't so over the top that we HAD to be 100% sure of the outcome. Our guess turns out to be correct, but that is OK, because the reader doesn't REALLY know for sure, until the last few paragraphs before the end.

So, overall. I say fine job! Thankyou for your efforts! And more commenters need to remember that is STILL takes more creativity than many of them actually possess themselves, in order to remake art using an existing classic form, and still have it stand alone well, even on its own merits.

Thanks again! Easaily best read of the day here in LW.

patilliepatillieover 8 years ago
Idk, kinda blah blah

I mean I made my way to the end, but not without stopping after the part where it transitioned from he and his wife hooking up, to him talking to Dale about going off for a month with his lover.

How did they know it was each other? Or did they? Maybe I am kinda dense, wasnt clear to me. She had her nipples pierced and he didnt know it? I mean he hadnt seen her naked in like forever.

Bedspread02Bedspread02over 8 years ago
Not the ending I expected

The story is well written and I enjoyed it until the blindfolds came off.

At that point the shit should have hit the fan, this was his first cheat and obliviously not her first cheat.

This is where the lawyer in him should have taken over, after all she treated him like shit for how long?

The revelation from his buddies wife that she was covering for cheating should and in most cases would cause not only the loss of friendships but also put a terrible strain on his buddies marriage.

The loss of trust is a terrible thing and seldom results in a happy ending.

I am sorry but this ending was weak, you had the opportunity to explore the battles for both marriages with future chapters.

This is still a really good story and I gave it 5 stars, keep writing.

TwentysevenTwentysevenover 8 years ago
Escape (The Pina Colada Song)

Rupert Holmes wrote a great song about this in 1979 so its not a new theme. Personally I always thought the happy outcome unlikely. They're both prepared to cheat so where is the basis for renewal of their marriage?

stormbreyerstormbreyerover 8 years ago
Well done

I figured out where the story was going before the unveiling, but not by much. Well written and good dialogue. You have a knack for details. Keep up the good work. I look forward to your next one.

looking4itlooking4itover 8 years ago

Well said Twentyseven

bigdnc13bigdnc13over 8 years ago
I like happy endings, but...

They're both emotional cheaters. She was actually 'hoping' she was cheating with her husband!? I know this stuff is fiction, but his should have been in the Science Fiction category. If they were willing to go through all this effort to cheat, why did try doing it to save their marriage? The story just left me with a bad taste in my mouth, but I couldn't rate it.

AnonymousAnonymousalmost 6 years ago
Pina Coladas?

I thought it was Penis Colossus!

Anyway, it was just as predictable.

26thNC26thNCabout 5 years ago
Not really good

Just two people.planning, hoping to cheat. Ending too pat.

pops12345pops12345about 5 years ago
Good work!

I liked the big payoff. Good job overall.

Anonymous
Our Comments Policy is available in the Lit FAQ
Post as:
Anonymous