Swing Time Ch. 01

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
l8bloom
l8bloom
251 Followers

Jeff pinned Allison's hands behind her back. Hank threw a punch at David, who gladly returned the favor.

"NO! David! Your hands!!"

It was too late. David lay curled on his side, cradling his right hand and emitting little noises of pain.

Craig pushed up Allison's skirt and told her to shut up. When she didn't, he slapped her.

This made her holler even louder. Craig turned over his shoulder: "Hank, get over here and shut this girl up—"

He never finished his sentence. Stan Katz and Jacob Olaffsen appeared in the doorway, and they both looked pissed as hell. Hank lowered his head like a ram and ran toward them. Jake even had time to roll his eyes before he flipped the boy neatly, causing the hapless attacker to land on his back with a solid thud.

"Nice pickin'," Stan approved.

The older man shrugged. "Semper fi."

Jeff and Craig dropped Allison like the proverbial hot rock. More adults crowded into the room. The Cherry Poppers Club was finished.

Several hours later, Jake bid Stan, Allison and David good night. He left the Katz home in fairly good spirits. The concert had been a rousing success, and his two protégées had not been seriously harmed. He knew Allison well enough to believe she would bounce back, as children raised with love were wont to do; and the ER doctor had confirmed that David's hand was no more than bruised. It would heal fairly quickly.

Stan added his good night wishes. "I've had enough excitement for one night," he told the young people. In automatic dad-mode he added, "Lights out at midnight, Allie." Then he realized it was already well past that hour. "Aw, hell, stay up as long as you want. Just keep it quiet, please."

Father and daughter hugged one another. "I love you, Dad."

"I love you, too, Punkin." He dropped a kiss to her crown and traced a finger down her nose. "Be good."

She smiled. "I will." Her dad trudged up the stairs.

David and Allison sat alone on the sofa. He shifted uncomfortably.

"You want a fresh ice pack?"

"No, uh..." David's throat dried up. Allie looked at him, waiting for his words.

"I guess I wasn't much of a hero for you tonight."

Allison was incredulous. "Yes, you were. Who are you kidding? You took a punch for me, didn't you?"

"That I did." David nodded. Then he looked her full in the face. "There's something else I've been wanting to tell you, Allie..."

"What." Their eyes met, each barely able to breathe.

Her friend held out his good hand. Wordlessly she put her hand in his and followed as he led the way to the piano bench.

"I've always been better with music than I am with words," he said. As he spoke, he opened a book of sheet music and began leafing through it, hunting for the right page. "I can't play for you now, but — this is the best I can do. I know you'll know."

Using just his index finger, he started at the top left of the page. Note by note, he tapped out the romantic rhythm. It was a tender swing jazz tune; the music spoke how she made him feel.

A lump formed in Allison's throat. Her voice was hoarse and squeaky as she trembled out the lyrics: "L -- is for the way you look at me ... O -- is for the only one I see..." David put his arm around her and kept following the notes. His own eyes were wet. But he managed to get out the words: "Two in love can make it, take my heart and please don't break it. Love was made for me and you."

* * *

Three blocks away, Hillary Fairchild drifted toward sleep. Her blonde ringlets rose and fell with her slowing breathing. She had one last thought as her conscious mind slipped into darkness:

"I'll get my chance."

* * *

Pennies from Heaven by Arthur Johnston and Johnny Burke. Quoted here as recorded by Louis Prima.

L-O-V-E by Milt Gabler and Bert Kaempfert.

Thanks to rgraham666 for editing this chapter. Please vote! Thanks. ~~~L8.

l8bloom
l8bloom
251 Followers
12