Tabitha Ch. 09

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here
LaLaLady
LaLaLady
860 Followers

"She's the lead singer of Sixpence None the Richer. They did that song in the nineties...Kiss Me."

"Doesn't sound familiar."

"Maybe it's a girl thing."

"Must be."

"Anyway, she's great."

"Did I mention I played drums in the band for about seven months?"

"Oh, I forgot. That's so cool...what was it like?"

"Loud and fuzzy."

"What's she like?"

"Loud and pushy."

"Are you seriously not going to tell me anything about Dravyn?"

Wes sighed. "Not much to tell. I really didn't think you'd be that into her or Chaos Paradigm."

"Ah, you thought because I'm black I don't listen to Alternative music?"

"No, I thought because you spend three quarters of your life in heels and consider dressing down a skirt fresh out of the dry cleaner's bag, you don't listen to Alternative music."

"Fair enough," Tabitha said with a shrug. "Now you know how very wrong you were."

"Obviously," Wes said patting her knee. "If I'd known you were a fan of Chaos Paradigm, I'd have told you that the first day we met."

Tabitha laughed. "I didn't say I was a groupie...I'm just a fan."

"Damn."

"So was this band the only one for you?"

"No, actually, I was in another one while I lived in England. I played for both, Chaos Paradigm got more commercial success but the other one...I don't know. It meant more to me. They were both on the same label, but with a lead singer like Dravyn...there was no competition."

Tabitha gazed out the window at the passing lights. This would be her first real concert. To say she was excited would be an understatement.

***

The woman wearing red leather sleeves attached to her middle fingers by two rings with quarter-sized rubies on top. Her platinum blonde hair hung almost to her waist, her blunt bangs were cut just above her eyebrows, emphasizing the thick black eye makeup, and mile long eyelashes.

The black eyeliner and mascara along with the hint of red eye shadow made her blue eyes more so. Under her left eye was a cluster of three red jewels.

She was almost as tall as Wes and dressed in a red satin mini dress with black leather corset over it. The skirt came to mid-thigh and left the longest legs in the world on display. She wore a pair of black leather thigh-high boots with spiked heels and red bottoms.

"Dravyn," said Wes, "This is Tabitha."

Dravyn cast her blue eyes up and down Tabitha's form, which didn't take long since Tabitha wasn't anywhere close to Dravyn's height. She stuck out her right hand, the rhinestones on her black nails glinted. "Nice to meet you."

"It's a pleasure," breathed Tabitha. "I'm a fan. I played your LP, Love in Spite until my CD player broke. Then I put it on my MP3 player and kept on going."

Dravyn laughed. "I like you!" She turned to Wes and grinned. "I like her! You've got great taste, but that's nothing new."

Tabitha could feel Wes tense beside her.

"Uh, yeah, that LP was my favorite. That was years ago, though. I guess that's why you didn't perform any songs from that album."

Dravyn pressed her shiny pink lips together. "The record company doesn't want us performing any songs that weren't on an album they released. We have to play the fan favorites...the money-makers."

"That sucks for the rest of us," Tabitha sighed.

Dravyn smiled and crossed her arms over her chest. "I'll tell what: you two come to the after party and we'll do some songs from Love in Spite....just for you."

Tabitha smiled, but Wes shook his head. "I don't think so. We just came to the concert because Vance invited us, we don't really want to hang out."

"But I do want to hang out," Tabitha muttered so only Wes could hear.

"Come on, Wes. Your girl looks like she wants to hang out with us. Don't tell me you ran off to the 'burbs and got lame. You two don't have a litter of kids waiting for you to tuck them in, do you?" Dravyn's narrow nose wrinkled in distaste.

"No," Tabitha said quickly. "We don't have kids!"

"Perfect," Dravyn said with a wink. "We'll see you at Red Zone, it's off Third. I'll make sure your name gets on the list."

Wes frowned, but Tabitha thanked Dravyn.

"How cool is that?" she hissed once the tall blonde had walked away.

Wes rolled his eyes. "Don't tell me you're already star struck."

"Not star struck, I don't think, but seriously, she's so tall and pretty...and she invited us personally. I know you're used to this kind of thing, but I'm not."

Wes frowned.

"What's the deal with you two? Why don't you want to go to the club?"

Wes glared at Dravyn's back, but didn't answer.

Tabitha studied Wes for a moment. "Did you guys date while you were in the band? Was there a bad break up?"

Wes chuckled. "I can honestly tell you that I did not date Dravyn. She doesn't date, as much as devour."

Tabitha's eyes went round.

"Besides, I'm not her type."

"Oh, please," Tabitha mumbled. "You're every woman's type, tall, artistic, and brooding."

Wes snorted a laugh, but Tabitha was distracted by the approach of a tall, pale man with spiked red hair. He wore a leather vest, tattered jeans, and worn-looking Vans. His arms, chest, and even his neck were covered with tattoos.

"Vance," said Wes when the red-head approached. "This is my...uh...this is Tabitha."

Tabitha held out a hand and shook with Vance.

"Tabitha, this is the bassist, Vance Collins. He's the one that gave me the tickets."

"Thanks for that," said Tabitha smiling up at Vance. "This is amazing."

"I hear you guys are invited to the after party."

Wes cleared his throat. "I don't think we're going to ..."

"Come on man, it'll be awesome. We're doing a couple sets."

"I thought you're above club gigs these days."

Vance laughed. "You know how it is, book big venues so the label and every other fucker can get a piece of the profit. Club gigs are real...you get on stage, rock out, and get free drinks for the rest of the night. Those fuckers can't get their hands in your pocket on that shit."

Wes laughed. Tabitha fidgeted nervously. A crowd of groupies was clamoring past them, all showing midriff and ass. She looked away when a woman that was only wearing a micro mini and a bikini top passed. Unfortunately, she looked right at Vance, who was using Tabitha's moment of distraction to take inventory of her own outfit. She was suddenly embarrassed. She'd worn the dress for Wesley, not for this stranger.

Vance's eyes met hers and he smiled. "I was just admiring your outfit."

Tabitha purposely kept herself from rolling her eyes. "My sister told me that a girl should always have a little black dress on hand."

"That's a dress?" Vance asked with an eyebrow raised.

Wes chuckled and placed a hand on Tabitha's waist. He moved it up and subtly grazed the side of her breast with his thumb. Tabitha gasped and glared at him. Wes winked.

"So you two are just friends?" Vance asked Wes with a slight smile.

Tabitha nodded. "We're good friends," she glanced at Wes who smiled down at her.

"I'll give you my number later, Tabitha. We can make some things happen, tonight if you'd like."

Tabitha rolled her eyes. "No thanks, I was taught not to sleep with guys I've just met. You might want to catch up with the chick in the bathing suit. She's probably on that level."

Vance laughed. "You're not impressed by me at all, huh?"

She smiled at him and shrugged. "Not really."

"I would say my feelings are hurt, but I think Wes may have given you some advance warnings."

"Not really," said Tabitha, "It's not the first time I've met a man that's used to getting his way."

Vance smirked. "This should be fun. See you guys later."

Tabitha watched him disappear into the crowd of stagehands and groupies. She was starting to think all the guys Wes called his friend were shameless flirts.

"What's his problem?" Tabitha asked once they were out of the backstage area.

Wes held her close with an arm around her waist. "Vance doesn't have a problem, but he thinks I might."

"What problem would you have? Seriously, is there bad blood between you and the band? Is that why you don't want to go to the club?"

Wes dropped a kiss on her neck. "Don't you know what curiosity did to the cat, Tabby?"

She poked him in the side. "I'm nosey, not curious...get it right."

"I'll tell you everything once we get in the car, if you must know."

"I must," she said. They got in the car and waited for the heat to kick into full gear.

Wes rubbed her arms with his large hands over her bare arms. "I told you to wear a jacket," he muttered.

"A jacket doesn't do this outfit any good. Why don't you warm me up another way?"

Wes didn't have to be asked twice. He moved his hands from her arms, around to her bare back and pulled her against him. His mouth crushed against hers and they kissed until neither could catch breath. Tabitha's face was flushed and her nipples stiff. One side of the dress had slipped off her shoulder and Wes was taking advantage by thumbing the nipple on her exposed breast.

"Okay, okay," she gasped. "I'm warm. Now you have to tell me everything."

Wes straightened from where he'd been nibbling her neck. "But..."

"You said!" Tabitha said batting at his hands.

"Fuck, Tabby," Wes groaned pulling himself back into the driver's seat.

"Later, Wesley."

"Fine, okay. Just give me a minute to get some blood back into my brain."

She waited not so patiently.

"Okay, years ago when I was the drummer in Chaos Paradigm, I was dating this girl Marie. She was French, a painter, she spoke three languages and she thought I was cool. She was everything I could have imagined. We were together for over a year and I was planning on a proposing. That's when Chaos Paradigm's first global hit blew up. We got caught up in the press and the shows."

Tabitha nodded her encouragement.

"Well, we did a lot of touring and Marie went with us. She loved every minute of it. Well, after a few months I was kinda over it so I told her that I really wanted to focus on working with the other band. She was supportive at first, but when we started auditioning new drummers to take my place, she pulled away."

Tabitha had a bad feeling that she knew where this story was going.

Wes sighed. "One day she came to the apartment and started packing. When I asked where she was going, she said she was going on tour with Chaos."

Tabitha gasped.

"I asked her why she was so determined to continue being involved with the band when I'm wasn't in it. She said that she was in love."

Tabitha slipped her hand in his. "Vance? How could he do that to you? How can you see him again without punching him in the face?"

Wes laughed. "She wasn't in love with Vance. She was in love with Dravyn. She was fucking Dravyn."

"Oh," Tabitha said, "I didn't know Dravyn is a lesbian."

"It's not something that the label wants out there. Dravyn is eye candy for men and they want to give them the idea that she is sex and pulling her off the male market won't help record sales."

Tabitha nodded. "Pretty much the same reason your sister has to hide her relationship with Clay...so he'll seem available."

"Exactly. Needless to say, I was crushed. When she was gone I could barely stand the fact that I was left behind. So, I split. I left England, I left the other band; I just couldn't do it anymore. I moved back here because I had the house and Jazzy moved here with me so I wouldn't be alone."

"I'm so sorry, Wes. I had no idea. No wonder you didn't date for so long...and I don't blame you for not wanting to get into another relationship."

"Don't feel sorry for me, Tabby. I'm good. I just don't know if I'm up to sitting in the VIP area while Dravyn flirts with every man and woman in the building."

Tabitha nodded. "I understand completely. Whatever happened between Dravyn and Marie?"

"Drevyn got bored with her after a few months and Marie flew back to England. She got in touch with me after she came home to an empty apartment."

"Awesome," Tabitha muttered. "What do you say, we go home and you help me get out of this dress?"

Wes laughed. "Nah, I don't think so. I think we should go hang out with Vance for a while."

Tabitha couldn't hide her surprise. "Seriously?"

"Its' like you said, Tabitha. I've done the VIP, hanging with celebrities thing, but you haven't. So we'll hang out for a while. Besides, Dravyn seems to like you."

"So, what you want to show me off to her or dangle me like a carrot?"

"You don't mind playing my trophy for a night?"

Tabitha laughed. "Not at all."

***

"So, Mr. Dennis told me that you were in a band back in the day."

Wes watched Alton remove the guitar from its case and settle onto the couch. The kid reminded him so much of himself it was unreal. Alton wore his brown hair in a long shag that almost eclipsed his pale, narrow face. Large round blue eyes avoided his own, glancing around the living room that looked for all purposes like his grandparent's home. Tabitha was right. He should redecorate the place...get rid of some doilies, at least.

"Yeah, but that's not important. Why don't you show me what you know and we'll pick a music book to start."

Alton nodded and began plucking the strings as he called out the chords. His thin fingers moved along the instrument and Wes could tell by the way he cradled the thin bodied acoustic guitar that there was a healthy respect for it. The guitar itself was maybe a hundred bucks brand new and it was obviously not bought new, but Alton caressed the neck instead of fisting it. He'd pulled it from the case as gentle as if he was handling Les Paul's own instrument.

"Good, that's great. I think we'll start with this book," Wes said picking a booklet from the pile on the end table. Mr. Dennis had given him plenty to borrow for his lessons. Now that he'd gauged Alton's skill, he knew they could jump right in.

The hour went by faster than Wes realized. He was actually surprised when he heard the doorbell that indicated Alton's mom had arrived. He said goodbye to them both, then fell heavily onto the couch. After a few minutes of staring up at the ceiling, he glanced over to his grandmother's piano. She'd taught him and Jazzy to play it during their summer visits. She'd made a good living giving lessons to kids of all ages. Now he could see the draw...it was way more fulfilling to help someone draw out their talent than taking inventory. He'd get the piano tuned...as well as tuning up the rest of the house.

***

Tabitha laughed at the sound of Dion fussing over the mess Lily had made while eating dinner. She'd been on the phone with her sister for almost an hour after work. Her jaw dropped when she pulled into a driveway filled with trucks and guys going in and out of the house. "What the hell?" she muttered. "Dee, I'll call you tomorrow. Kiss the kids for me."

"Of course, I have to get this one in a bath anyway."

Tabitha climbed out of her car and made her way past the men and to the front door. She didn't bother knocking since foot traffic was already heavy.

"Oh!" she exclaimed when she entered the living room. Everything was gone, except for something under a large white sheet. There was no furniture, no carpet, and no pictures on the walls. The room was completely gutted. As was the kitchen from what she could see through the doorway.

"Tabby!" Wes exclaimed walking in from somewhere down the hall. "I'm glad you're here, but there's all kinds of dust with all the construction. Let's get out of here."

"What are you doing?" she gasped as he took her arm and led her back to the front porch.

"I'm taking your advice and doing some redecorating."

Tabitha froze. "I meant some new furniture, a coat of paint. You've got walls exposed in there."

Wes nodded. "Some of the sheetrock was weak from old leaks, so I'm having all the walls done. I'm knocking one down between the kitchen and the living room. I'm knocking down another one so it'll be a four bedroom instead of a five...the last one was too small anyway."

"This is all so sudden," Tabitha said as she started her car. "You didn't mention it the other day on the phone."

"I was still interviewing contractors then, I wasn't sure what I wanted, but now I know. I just need your help to decorate it. There's no sense in having an honest to goodness, grown up house and turning it into a giant dorm room."

Tabitha laughed. "We don't exactly have the same tastes, Wes."

"I trust you," he said patting her leg. "You won't put me in paisley and pastels, will you?"

"Of course not!" Tabitha laughed.

"Good," said Wes kissing her hand.

"It's just so expensive, a project like that. Most people do it one room at a time."

Wes shrugged. "I'm not most people. The living room and my room are all I really need. It's been a week and the living room is almost done."

Tabitha laughed. "Do you want to stay at my place until it gets less messy in there?"

"Jazzy already put me up, but thanks."

Tabitha tried not to look disappointed. The idea of Wes staying with her was appealing for some reason. She hadn't lived with another person since she moved out of Dion's house. Her one-bedroom apartment, or flat as her sister liked to call it, was cozy enough but whenever Wes left, she felt a tug in her gut that ached for him to stay. Best not entertain it too seriously won't do either of them any good.

"Where are we going?" asked Wes.

"There is a concert in the park today...not exactly your usual venue, being daylight and the symphony, but I brought a checked blanket, food, and wine."

Wes laughed. "The symphony, huh?"

"Yes, and if you don't like it, too bad."

"I can appreciate classical music. My grandmother made me read about Chapin, Handel, Wagner, Verdi, Brahms, Vivaldi..."

"Okay, okay; I get it. You're educated, but do you like it...I mean really, like it?"

"Of course."

Tabitha smiled. She couldn't stop picturing them in the orchestra pit at the annual performance of The Nutcracker. "Good."

The concert was wonderful. There was something peaceful about sitting in a crowd but only being with Wes. She had brought fruit, grilled chicken salad, and a bottle of Pinot Grigio that they drank from clear plastic cups. The sun was beginning to set once the concert was done but neither one of them made a move off the blanket. Tabitha was settled between his legs, with his arms around her. They continued their conversation as the other spectators disbursed.

"I can't believe my sister is going to deliver in two months. I'll actually be there to see my nephew born."

Tabitha felt his arms go a hair tighter. "I don't know if you really want to see that. I saw my nephew born and still have nightmares."

"I think I can handle it. Don't tell me anything about it either, let me be scarred for myself."

Wes laughed. "I want you to meet my student."

"Alton? Why?" Tabitha knew Wes had taken up teaching guitar to some high school kid. He'd told her how talented Alton was and how much he enjoyed it."

"How have you been giving him lessons with the condition of your house?"

"His mom agreed to let me come to them for a couple weeks. He'll be at my place on Tuesday at five-thirty."

"I'll come by then." Tabitha settled against him and watched the last few orchestra members leave the stage. She wondered what it was like to have the kind of musical talent that seemed to surround ever since she met Wes...to be good enough at something you loved to get paid to do it.

She was so distracted by her thoughts; she didn't realize she was humming the spring portion of Vivaldi's Four Seasons. The chest she was leaning against moved with silent laughter. She poked his firm thigh. "I know I can't sing. You shut up."

Wes dropped a kiss on her shoulder. "It's okay; you can't be good at everything."

Tabitha laughed and snuggled closer to his lean, warm body.

LaLaLady
LaLaLady
860 Followers