Temporary Home

PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

"I haven't even had time for lunch."

Then she kissed his cheek and said, "It's so good to have you back" and then she blushed and ran off leaving him standing there surprised, but smiling. Evan took time to raid the vending machines and went back to his office planning to dine on a Coke and some peanuts when Carly appeared. She tapped at his open door and stepped in and then hesitated. "What's wrong, Carly?"

"Evan, I wanted to apologize for kissing you earlier. That was inappropriate and I'm sorry."

"Don't worry about it, I'm sure nobody else knows or cares." She didn't know what else to say so she started to leave when Evan said, "Thanks for the kiss, Carly." She turned and smiled at him then and left.

If anything the afternoon was even worse, and it was almost half past five before the last decorator left and he could do the same. He stopped at the market and picked up a

bottle of wine and a frozen pizza, and headed home looking forward to quiet, food and to relax with the wine. As soon as he was home, he tossed the pizza in the oven and as he headed to his bedroom pulled off his tie and sport coat and then kicked off his shoes. Then with his shirt about half unbuttoned, he unfastened his slacks only to have his

doorbell ring. Mumbling to himself, he hooked his slacks as he dashed to the door and saw Carly standing there. He opened the door and she looked first at him and then

downward as her eyes got bigger. He saw her look down, and then realized he hadn't zipped his slacks and the tail of his tan dress shirt was in plain view. By the time she realized it was his shirt it was too late for her. She closed her eyes and just started to cry. "Carly, what's wrong?" She was turning to leave when he stopped her and asked again, "What's wrong?" She tried to talk but he pulled her inside and said, "You better come in and have a glass of wine or something."

She looked at him and then at his open zipper and said, "Oh God, I'm so embarrassed." She was still crying and she handed him his computer and said, "You left this on the meeting room table," and again she turned to go.

"Carly, please wait. Stay and talk to me...please?"

"I don't know if I can ever look at you again. God how can I be such a screw up. I looked down and saw your tan dress shirt peeking out of your zipper, and I...oh shit, this is the worst."

He looked down then and said, "Oh, I see what you mean. Oh wait, that's not my shirt after all." Her eyes went wide and she looked again without thinking and then quickly looked away. He pulled her over to him then and said, "I'm just kidding."

"Damn you" and she took a hard swing at his open zipper to hit at his shirt tail and he jumped back crying, "Oh, oh. ow oh damn." She looked at him and he started to laugh as he zipped up. "I'm sorry Carly that wasn't fair, but I just couldn't resist. Please stay and have dinner with me so I can make it up to you." She looked at him and he saw the tears on her cheek. "Please stay," and he touched her cheeks to wipe away the tears and put his arms around her.

Chapter Eight

They still hadn't moved six feet from the door as Carly's arms went around his waist then and she said, "I'm so sorry, Evan."

"Carly, it's all my fault for being so careless. I was just starting to get out of my work clothes when you rang the doorbell."

"Well, go get your clothes off then...damn it, there I go again."

He tipped her chin up and looked at her and said, "Relax, I have you rattled and I'm sorry. Will you stay?"

"Are you sure you want me to?"

"Of course I'm sure, I'm having gourmet pizza straight from the supermarket freezer and cheap wine, now how can you pass that up?"

If you're sure."

"Let me go change and then I'll open the wine."

"Remember to zip up this time would you, I don't think I can go through that again." When Evan came out he smiled and took her in his arms again.

"Forgive me?"

"Forgive you? It's me that should ask for forgiveness."

"Nothing to forgive, I created a situation that couldn't help but be awkward."

"But I looked right down there right away."

"Well, I was kind of waving my flag so to speak."

She had to smile then. "Yes, you kind of were."

"Carly, thanks for bringing me my computer. I can't believe I was that careless."

"You had a lot on your mind."

"How about some wine and relaxation while the pizza bakes."

"I'd like that but just one glass because I can't seem to control my mouth as it is." He poured the wine and then before handing it to her he kissed her lightly on the lips.

"Thanks for the kiss earlier today."

He held out her glass to her and she reached for it, but without taking her eyes off of his and in a soft hesitant voice said, "You're welcome." Evan pointed to the couch and as soon as she sat down he put his wine glass on the table and picked up her leg and took her shoe off before putting it on the coffee table. She was wearing a skirt so when she felt his hand on her leg she held her breath for a second. Then he did the same thing with her left leg and then sat down next to her and picked up his glass before he put his feet up next to hers. "There, now we can relax and talk." She took a long sip and then said, "Evan, I'm not so addled at work."

"I know that."

"It's just that..."

"I know, in social settings or in personal one on one situations..."

"Exactly, how did you know?"

"Because I used to be the same way and for that matter I still can be."

"Really?"

"Very really."

Both of them tasted their wine as they absorbed what was said and then he kissed her again. "I don't know about you, but I kind of liked the last kiss too much to stop with just one."

She kissed him then and said, "I believe in threes."

"It's a nice number. Not as lucky as say seven, but nice." Carly leaned back and looked down at her glass and he asked her, "Why is it at work you were always kind of stand offish? You were very friendly as long as I didn't get too close."

"Because I wanted to make a good impression on you and I knew that if I got too close to you I would say or do something stupid and embarrass myself."

"You mean like me with my flag hanging out?" She laughed then and said, "Yes, something like that."

"But when I got back from Knoxville you seemed to be more relaxed or something." "Maybe it's because I missed you." She said it so matter of fact that it didn't register with him for a second.

Then he looked at her and asked, "Did you really miss me?"

Her eyes went to her wine again but then to his and said, "Yes, I really did."

"Well, I'll be damned."

"What?"

"Well, I only thought about you about every day for the last year, but was afraid to even ask you out to dinner."

"You did not, you're just trying to make me feel better."

"Oh no. In fact, that last meeting we had before I went to Knoxville you gave me a perfect opening to say something nice and then ask you out for dinner but what did I do? "I mumbled some inane comment and retreated to my office."

"So we've both been stumbling around, me too afraid to say or do something and you doing the same damn thing for how long?"

It was his turn to look down as he said, "A long time."

"I can't believe this." He tapped his glass to hers and said, "Here's to a new beginning", and emptied his glass and got up. "This calls for more wine."

When Evan returned and sat down it was just a little closer to her and she asked him, "So how is it you're not so verbally clumsy anymore?"

"I spent three months with a very charming and confidence building older woman."

"What?" He smiled and explained his living arrangements in Knoxville but left out all of the very personal parts and finished by saying, "I have her to thank for building my confidence and giving me another shot at living a normal life."

She raised her glass and said, "Then here's to the charming older lady."

"I'll drink to her too," and it wasn't long before their wine glasses were empty again. "More wine, Miss Comstock?"

"Thanks, but I've already had too much."

"Then could I interest you in dinner?"

"You could." Both of them relaxed and enjoyed dinner together and Carly even had one more glass of wine after dinner before saying, "I better go. Evan, thank you for dinner and for a wonderful time."

"You're welcome." When they got to the door they kissed again, but this time it didn't end up being a soft and almost casual kiss. Then Carly looked up at him and he said, "One more kiss like that and I'll be waving my flag again." As soon as he said that he knew it wasn't the right thing to say. "I'm sorry, that wasn't very nice."

She smiled and said, "Oh yes, it was", and she kissed him again. "Evan, we have to make a pact. No more apologizing for saying the wrong thing, or we'll spend all of our time saying we're sorry."

"I agree, no more saying I'm sorry."

"See you tomorrow."

"Thanks again for rescuing my laptop."

"You're welcome", and she left. Evan busied himself picking up the kitchen, but his mind was on her the whole time and most of the evening as well.

The barriers had been broken and they would either see or call each other almost every night. Then about two weeks later he sent her a nice bouquet of flowers with the note reading, "Thanks for giving meaning to my life", and then signed it and had it sent to her office. When he got home that evening she was waiting for him at his door.

"Okay, I just want you to know that by you sending me those beautiful flowers with your name attached, the whole place knows about us now."

"Good."

"Good?"

"I'm proud of the fact that you're willing to have me in your life", and as he unlocked his door she kissed him even before they could even get inside and then again as soon as the door was closed. Then kissing her cheek he said, "Give me a second to get rid of this tie and jacket", and he disappeared into his bedroom. He was down to his briefs when she walked in put her arms around him.

"I thought you might need some help." Words weren't coming to him, but it didn't matter because she kissed him and put her arms around his naked waist. His hands went to the buttons on her blouse as he said, "Carly honey, you're making my flag wave." Her hand moved down then and said, "Just make sure it never waves for anybody but me."

The End.