Thank God for Irish Women Ch. 06

Story Info
A miracle leads to true love.
9k words
4.77
2k
9
1

Part 6 of the 12 part series

Updated 04/29/2024
Created 03/12/2024
Share this Story

Font Size

Default Font Size

Font Spacing

Default Font Spacing

Font Face

Default Font Face

Reading Theme

Default Theme (White)
You need to Log In or Sign Up to have your customization saved in your Literotica profile.
PUBLIC BETA

Note: You can change font size, font face, and turn on dark mode by clicking the "A" icon tab in the Story Info Box.

You can temporarily switch back to a Classic Literotica® experience during our ongoing public Beta testing. Please consider leaving feedback on issues you experience or suggest improvements.

Click here

Chapter 6

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

I heard far away voices and felt the throbbing of an awful headache. I gradually opened my eyes, which were slow to focus, and heard the excited voice of my mother.

"He's waking up! He's waking up! Oh thank you God. James, get the nurse and Emily. He's waking up. Thank you Jesus. Matt, can you hear me? Matt, please honey. Can you hear me?"

I saw the connected tubes and monitors and quickly realized I was in a hospital bed. I nodded my head, but the pain of doing that was dreadful. Mom reached for my hand, and I lightly squeezed hers. She was thrilled and began bawling.

A nurse came and checked the monitors. She looked into my eyes with a light and asked a few questions. I struggled to respond, as my throat was very dry and sore; I did whisper my name and my mom's name. I knew I was 24 and that I was in Kansas City, or at least I thought I was. I learned it was already Wednesday afternoon and almost three days of my life were missing.

The nurse said to relax, and a doctor would be in shortly. Mom sat beside me and held my hand.

"Can I have water?" I whispered.

"Let me check."

She came back with a cup of ice water and a straw. That was the most refreshing drink I'd ever had... and I could finally talk, at least a little.

"What happened?"

"You were shot. The bullet glanced off your skull above your ear, but the real damage happened when your head hit the pavement. The doctor says it's a severe concussion."

Dad and Emily rushed into the room. She grabbed my other hand and was overcome with emotion and sobbing. Dad brought a chair for her, and he stood behind with his hand on her shoulder as she wept. I noticed him wiping a few tears away.

Emily asked, "Can you talk, sweetheart?"

"Yes, is the doctor in? I have five cents."

Emily laughed through her tears, obviously more from relief than humor.

Dad asked, "What does that mean?"

Emily replied, "It's a little joke we share. It seems as if we take turns needing professional help."

I smiled the best I could. Everything I did with my head hurt. Movement and talking were slow and painful. I mostly listened but was able to ask, "Who shot me?"

Emily responded, "That man who fondled me. He was waiting outside and shot at us when we got near the truck. Clint was shot in the arm, but he and another friend were able to wrestle the guy to the ground and hold him until the police came."

"How's Clint doing?"

"He's fine. The bullet went through flesh and didn't hit a major artery. He's already back at work," she replied.

The doctor arrived and introduced himself. He checked my vitals and shined a light into my eyes. Again, I answered all his questions correctly.

"Mr. Anderson, your vitals are near normal and your eyes are focusing and dilating normally. The scan early this morning showed normal brain activity and there's no evidence of cranial bleeding. The headache you're having will gradually ease, and we'll start medication to help. The concussion you suffered caused some swelling in your brain, but we were able to control that. I know you probably don't feel like it now, but we'll have you out of here in a couple of days. Do you have any questions?"

"Not yet," I responded.

The doctor said he would check back later, then left with the nurse. Emily returned to sit beside me. I turned to Mom and said, "You've met Emily I see."

"Yes and we are thrilled to know her," Mom replied with a smile.

Dad said, "Emily called us early Monday morning and told us what happened. We rushed down immediately and found she had taken full control of the situation."

I asked Emily, "Did you have to move out of the hotel room?"

"No. The manager was extremely nice. He said the suite was not booked until next weekend and told me to keep it. He sends his best to you and so does Jackie. Jodi has been here a few times to visit and bring clothes and food."

"You've been staying here?"

"Matt, it's where I belong. The chair converts into a bed and the nurses have been very sweet to help. Mom relieved me Monday night so I got one good night in a real bed. We were all worried to death about you."

Dad added, "I was going to stay with you last night but Emily wouldn't let me. We're staying at the same hotel, just a couple of rooms down from yours. I wish I could afford a suite like you have."

I began to protest and explain, but he stopped me and said Emily had already told him the story.

"You said the bullet just grazed me?"

Dad responded, "Yeah. Evidently, the shooter was in front and to the side of you. The bullet tore through your scalp above your ear for a couple of inches but then just ricocheted off that hard skull of yours. Another inch to the left, and we'd be burying you today."

Emily added, "Your scalp and hair will be good as new. The doctor said you needed 18 stitches."

"Is the guy in jail?"

"Yes. A detective came yesterday and said it'll be a long time before the guy gets out."

Mom asked, "When were you going to tell us about Emily, other than you were just giving her a ride?" Mom was grinning.

"What did she tell you?" I glanced at Emily, and she was smiling.

"I'll let Emily tell you that. But, your dad and I are excited for you. We love her already." That surprised me.

Dad continued, "Your mom and I need to have lunch. Emily, can we bring you anything?"

"How about a diet cola?"

"Is that all?"

"I had a sandwich earlier so I'm fine."

"Okay. We'll be back." Mom and Dad embraced and kissed Emily before hugging me. After they left, Emily stood and leaned in for a real kiss.

"Sweetheart, I need to brush my teeth. I'm sure my breath stinks."

"I don't care about that, Matt."

We kissed again. "I'm sorry I scared you."

"There was nothing you could do about that."

"I never heard the gunshot so I guess it's true, you never hear the one that kills you."

"We surely heard it. He shot six times but most didn't hit anything. Another man there pulled a gun and rushed over. He shot at the wacko but missed. Then, Clint and a friend rushed him. That's when Clint was shot. They finally slugged him and got him on the ground. The police were quickly there."

"Where were you during the shooting?"

"I was on the pavement next to you. Jodi was on the other side, and we were both screaming. I've never been around guns, and they scared me. All I could think about was whether or not you were alive."

"I bet you were scared."

"Jodi reassured me while we waited for the ambulance. Many others came out from the club and waited with us and said many encouraging words.

"The paramedics were wonderful, and they quickly stabilized you. I was so relieved when they said it was only a graze. They let me ride with you to the emergency room. Jody drove Clint to be treated. I didn't realize until we got here how bad your concussion was."

"You called Mom and Dad Monday morning?"

"Yes, about 7:30. I found their number in your phone. I knew that being farmers they'd be up early. They were shocked and dropped everything to rush down. They were here by noon and were the biggest comfort to me. You have great parents.

"After I called them, I called the hotel and relayed what happened. The manager there called me back and was so kind. He's not charging us for the room the rest of this week."

"That's nice."

"Jodi brought some of my clothes Monday morning. I had blood on my shirt and jeans. I'm afraid both our new shirts are ruined."

"We'll get others. I know you were exhausted, but you stayed with me overnight Sunday?"

"You were in the emergency room for more than four hours. Clint and Jodi were also here and sat with me after he was bandaged and released. One of the other couples we met came and waited with us. The police were also here interviewing us. I was very surprised when the owner and a manager of the club came to check on you. They all went home after you were sent to this room. I was able to sleep an hour or so in the chair."

"Sweetheart, could you hand me the ice water?"

She took it from the tray and held the straw to my mouth. All the IV tubes feeding various medicines into my arms restrained my hands.

"What did you tell Mom and Dad about us?"

She smiled. "I told them the truth."

"What's the truth?"

"That you and I are in love and are living together."

I was incredulous. "You told my parents that we were in love and living together?"

"Yes, they hugged me and said they were excited for us."

"That shocks me. Maybe they're not as conservative as I thought."

"I think it's because they love you and want you to be happy. They showed wonderful love to me these last three days. By the way, your brother Mark has called four times to check on you. I can't wait to meet him and Cheryl. You have a wonderful family."

"Sweetheart, can you ask the nurse if I can get up and walk around the room? My body feels very stiff, and this pillow is hurting my head." Emily left and came back in a few moments with the nurse.

"Mr. Anderson, do you feel like you want to start walking?"

"Yes, the sooner the better."

"Well this is quick but that's good! I'm surprised. Let me call the doctor to make sure he's okay with it. I'll get some help and we'll remove your catheter. We'll also bring a wheelchair if you need it."

She was back shortly with a nursing assistant to help unhook me. I wouldn't miss that catheter.

It took a few moments to find my balance once I stood. The IV rack was cumbersome to push, but I had to stay connected to the medication. Emily tied up the open back of the gown so I wouldn't flash the people strolling up and down the hall. After walking around the bed and stretching my arms and legs for several minutes, I sat in a visitor's chair. My head hurt but not as bad as it did when on the pillow.

Brushing my teeth and trying to relieve myself was an adventure. Emily came into the bathroom with me and helped with the IV tube management while I took a leak. The taste of the toothpaste and mouthwash was refreshing. While still behind closed doors, we shared a passionate kiss before she grabbed and tweaked my naked butt. Her hands were cold, but I didn't mind. I was warmed by her love.

"Sweetheart, you've not eaten anything for almost three days. Can I get something for you?"

"I'd love a cheeseburger but check with the nurse and see whether I can have it."

She came back right away. "The nurse checked and said that you could have anything you feel like eating. Maybe I can call your dad and get him to bring one."

"Good idea. A McDonald's cheeseburger would be good."

She called on my cell phone. "Mr. Anderson, this is Emily. While you're out, could you pick up a cheeseburger at Mickey D's for Matt? He has a craving."

She giggled. "Yeah, I know, maybe a kiddie meal would be perfect for him.

"He's nodding his head. I think he wants the toy.

"Great.

"Yes, that's fine. You're not going to believe it, but he's up and walking.

"Yes, what about that? I was very surprised as was the nurse. He's sitting in a chair now.

"Good, see you soon."

I smiled and asked, "He's getting me a kiddie meal?"

Emily grinned. "I think he was joking. They're nearly finished with lunch and are going by the hotel before coming here."

She pulled another chair near mine and held my hand. We gazed at each other.

"I'm seeing a new and very interesting side of you, Emily. You're now the caregiver and you're very good at it."

"Matt, I almost lost it when you were shot. My whole life seemed to be ending again." Tears were welling. "When we couldn't get a response from you, I wanted to die. Jodi shook some sense into me and pointed out that you were still breathing, and that help was coming. I was imagining you dying like Patrick. With the darkness, we couldn't tell it was a graze wound, and I imagined the worst possible situation." She reached for tissues.

"I'd have thought the same."

"These last three days gave me time to think about us. I grew to realize just how much you mean to me. Although I was devastated, your mom and dad assured me that you were going to be fine. They had something I didn't... faith. We prayed very hard for you.

"Now you're awake, full recovery is likely, and I'm on top of the world. The sense of peace and relief I now have is overwhelming. I know that I never want to be without you next to me, loving me, and protecting me. I didn't think I'd ever again be as close to anyone as I was to Patrick, but I am. I truly love you, Matt." She smiled and squeezed my hand. "You're the real deal. I could live my entire life and not find a man like you again."

I was speechless and held her hand in silence but with tears in my eyes.

Mom and Dad walked in carrying a McDonald's Happy Meal box, a small bag, and a large cola.

Dad handed me the box and the small bag. I ended up with two tasty cheeseburgers. Although my head hurt as I chewed, their taste more than made up for the pain. Emily gave me a sip of her soda.

As I munched while listening to the chatter in the room, Mom's cell phone rang.

"Hey Mark. Your brother's awake and talking.

"I know, praise the Lord!

"About two hours ago. Did Cheryl get my message?

"Good. Yes, he's fully aware of everything and the doctor says he's going to be fine. He's sitting in a chair now.

"Let me give him the phone."

I took it and said, "Hey Mark."

"Matt, I'll hand it to you. You know how to get attention."

"Maybe so but I didn't want this kind."

"I'll bet. How are you feeling?"

"Rough. The headache is terrible, but the doctor promised relief in a few days."

"Is Emily taking good care of you?"

"Sure is. She told me you called a few times, and she looks forward to meeting you for some unknown reason. I warned her that you don't have my fun personality or intelligence."

"Yada, yada, yada. Just get your sorry ass out of bed and get on up here. We have plenty of work for you."

"I thought you'd be taking it easy with Dad down here babysitting me."

"Not likely. You know farming. Hey, Mom told me about Emily. How did an ugly guy like you get a hot babe like her?"

"I'll tell you the secret later."

"Oh, is she there?"

"Of course, she never leaves my side."

"Now you're bragging. Let me talk to her."

"Hold on. Emily, here you go. My ugly brother wants to talk."

"Hi Mark.

"Yes, he's doing fine.

"You're right. He was very lucky.

"Right." She laughed.

"Yes, the doctor says he'll be released soon, probably on Friday.

"That's the plan. We'll be there at least for the weekend and then see how he's doing before deciding to drive on."

She laughed again.

"Yeah, he can be.

"Good, we'll see you Friday or Saturday for sure.

"Here he is." She handed me the phone.

"Hey buddy."

"Damn, that girl has the sexiest voice. Mom says she's beautiful. But she's been the most sensible person on the phone. Blows my mind. And she's only 19. Most girls her age can only communicate by text message. I can't wait to hear the story."

"Just hold on a few days. We look forward to seeing Cheryl and you."

"Likewise, let me talk to Dad."

I handed the phone to him, and he walked out into the hallway.

While he was away, I munched on the apple slices dipped in caramel sauce from the Happy Meal. Emily took her share.

Dad returned a couple of minutes later. "Mark said that some of the dairy herd appear to have pinkeye, and the vet is coming out tomorrow. Kathryn, can I head back and leave you here with Emily and Matt? You can ride home with them."

"No problem. We can manage here. How bad is it?"

"They isolated seven this morning and will check the others when they milk this afternoon. Pinkeye can spread quickly, and we'll need to vaccinate the herd if that's the case."

Dad came to my chair and said how relieved he was as we embraced. He hugged Emily and kissed her on the cheek. He gave Mom a real kiss and hug before he left.

We spent the remainder of the late afternoon talking about the farm, friends of mine still around there and what they were doing. Mom and Emily talked about our family and crazy things Mark and I did when young. Emily found many of my adventures to be hilarious, but I think Mom made them funnier than I remembered.

The entire time they were talking, I could detect a bonding and a common set of values they shared. For only 19, Emily was very mature in her thoughts and conversation. I guess a rough life does that to a young girl... she had to grow up fast. It was easy to tell that Mom liked her as touches, laughs and tears were quickly shared.

I stood to get in bed and Emily helped by maneuvering all the IV tubes and monitors. I lay there as they talked but dozed off.

****

The evening meal delivery awakened me and I saw that Emily and Mom were gone. The lady set the dinner tray down and pushed it in front of me. She was very pleasant as she described the wonderful Salisbury steak with mashed potatoes and steamed carrots. Her encouraging description of the food was better than the actual taste. However, the ice cream provided was wonderful as the cold smooth texture soothed my throat.

I turned on the TV and watched the local news until Emily returned.

"Hi sweetheart, I see you got dinner," Emily said as she entered.

"Such as it was." I gave her a quick critique, and she agreed the ice cream was probably the highlight of the meal.

"I took your mom to the hotel and had dinner with her. Matt, I love her. She is so much like my mother in many ways. She's so easy to talk to. I already feel very close to her and your dad. She asked me to start calling her 'mom'."

"Oh, that's interesting."

"When she arrived with your dad, I called her Mrs. Anderson but she preferred 'Kathryn' which made me uncomfortable. We settled on 'mom' as that's what you call her. She liked that and so did I."

"It sounds as if you're a big hit with them. Mom told Mark that you're beautiful. Mark thinks you have the sexiest voice he's ever heard. He asked how I hooked up a babe like you. I've been asking myself that same question."

"Looks are so superficial. They'll be gone in a few years, Matt, so they're not worth much in a long-term relationship."

"Did you tell Mom and Dad how we met?"

"Not the full story. I said we met in Atlanta and that we've been spending all our time together. I didn't mention Patrick. Maybe we can tell them later."

"Do they know about your parents?"

"I told Mom that my mother had died in an accident and that my parents were divorced when I was five. I didn't tell her about my stepdad."

"Do they think you were going to school in Atlanta?"

"No, they didn't ask and I didn't explain. I just said we met there."

"Good, everything you told them was true, but not complete. I like it. We don't have to make up anything. I'll not say anything about Patrick unless you do."

"We'll see."

"I hope you're not planning to stay here tonight."

"You don't want me?"

"Of course I want you, but you need to get a good night's sleep. You won't get it here sweetheart. I'm fine and can make do tonight."

"Well, okay. I'll leave you to the care of professionals and go back to my palatial bedroom."

"Enjoy it while you can."

"I will. That bidet is amazing."

"I thought you might get addicted to it."

"We're going to install one in our home one day... right?"

"We'll put that in our marriage contract."

"Along with me not having to wash windows?" she pleaded.

"I can live with that, I think. What do I get in exchange?"

"I'm sure you'll think of a few things." There was that devious grin again. We both laughed but that caused my head to throb.

"I am so thankful that you're going to be as good as new."

"We have a future ahead of us, I hope, and I want us to treasure every day. You're a special lady, Emily Ryan, the one I've always prayed to find. I know you don't believe in God, but I do, and I'm sure He brought us together."